Is Soya Milk really bad for you?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Meg Moon profile image67
    Meg Moonposted 11 years ago

I am dairy free but don't use soya milk because I have read that it is bad for you. My dad reckons it is not bad for you and all the negative stuff about it on the internet has been put out by the meat industry. Anyone know I'm feeling veyr confused?

1. Trish_M profile image80
      Trish_Mposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have read that soy products may be harmful to anyone with thyroid problems.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I just learned that. Before I thought I was allergic to soy milk, guess it was a drug interaction.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

All foods have good and bad aspects.  That said, normal nutritional amounts of soy have no toxic effects that I know of.

3. MelChi profile image75
    MelChiposted 11 years ago

That's not good..I've been drinking Soya milk for weeks now, and have recently discovered a thyroid problem. I'm going to speak to my Doctor and do some more research on this topic..

4. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

This review of 14 scientific studies concluded that soy has little or no effect on thyroid function in healthy people. It may increase the need for thyroid hormones when these are taken as medication, but the authors state that "hypothyroid adults need not avoid soy foods". They do however state that people who eat soy products should make sure their intake of iodine is satisfactory. That is actually achieved by the frequent pairing of tofu and seaweed in Asian dishes.

http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10 … 006.16.249

1. MelChi profile image75
      MelChiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks WriteAngled - that's a very interesting article, good points raised. I would hate to give up Soy milk completely - I actually prefer it to regular milk most of the time, and it's a good substitute for people who are lactose intolerant.

2. Meg Moon profile image67
      Meg Moonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info

5. ocbill profile image53
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

I heard from a study that is causes more estrogen build-up in men or man breasts.

So, I stopped using it (for other reasons prior to the study) and started a chest firming program and they are basically gone. I use 1% milk now.

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

The only estrogen-like effect I know of is when using only soy to feed baby birds.  I doubt it has any effect like that on people.

7. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Soy isoflavones do have oestrogen-like activities. This has raised the question of whether excessive consumption of soy products could affect male fertility through a potential action on male sex hormones and on sperm production and function.

As far as I am aware, this is still a matter of debate. Some scientists have suggested that increased consumption of soy could be one of the factors responsible for an overall tendency to lower sperm counts and poorer sperm quality that appears to be developing with time.

However, there is apparently insufficient data available at the moment to come to any firm conclusions on this matter.

8. Sparkle Chi profile image70
    Sparkle Chiposted 11 years ago

Soy has been highlighted for all the health benefits it has, with oriental health always being pointed to since soy is common place in their diet.

What isn't as well heard about is HOW they use soy. They most often use it in the same amounts as we use condiments, like ketchup. With that in mind, problems of too much soy in our diets can quickly outweigh the benefits.

In addition to this, it seems that soy is among the most common allergens, joining the ranks of wheat, dairy, and corn. These are the big four that it is best to avoid, or only consume in small amounts.

9. aDayInMyLife1 profile image90
    aDayInMyLife1posted 11 years ago

Very interesting information, much of which I have heard nothing about. I love soy but guess I will have to do some more research now. Thank you for bringing this topic into the light.

10. Thelma Alberts profile image89
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

I don´t think soya milk is bad. It is healthy. I´ve been drinking soya milk for almost 2 decades now and I don´t suffer any hot flushes or other illnesses that a woman can have in her pre-or menopausal years. As what I´ve read ages ago, soya milk contains phyto oestrogen isoflavones, the kind of hormones women needed when they are in menopause.

Once I was in another country, I was not able to drink soya milk for 3 weeks. I felt there was something wrong with me. I was nervous and so forgetful about everything and repeated my sentences when I talked to somebody. My short time memory was so short that I can´t remember what I said. Then I went home, have my regular soya drink. After a few days I felt better. After a few months I realized it was the lack of soya milk that made me felt nervous and forgetful. Now whenever I go in another country, I´ll bring isoflavones capsules with me in case I can´t buy soya drink in my holidays.

11. Thelma Alberts profile image89
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

Hi, Meg! I have just published a hub about soja milk and its benefits. Thank you. Your question has inspired me to write about soya milk. Have a great day!

1. Meg Moon profile image67
      Meg Moonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excellent -I'll check it out now

12. Gregoryy profile image59
    Gregoryyposted 11 years ago

Its debatable. Soy Milk is good for females as the pytoestrogens in it are similar to human estrogen, which may benefit females during menopause. Soy milk is also fortified with many vitamins, and miners. More than regular diary milk at times. I do know some people that look soy milk, and they tend to look much younger than their age. Some scientists say that soy milk can cause cancer by releasing too much estrogen which makes certain cells multiply rapidly increasing the risk for cancer. More research needs to be done on that though. 

Soy Milk is not necessarily good for body builders or males as it can increase estrogen levels, and alter sperm. Too much soy may lower thyroid function, same thing with too much (goiter food) consumption such as Broccoli, and even Peanuts.

Soy Milk may be very good for females. Drink it in moderation though.

13. Maustus profile image59
    Maustusposted 11 years ago

I'm pretty sure that soy is one of the most highly genetically modified crops in the world, so that's something else to be aware of. I try to have an extremely healthy diet, and for that reason I avoid GMO's as much as possible.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)