Shocking: Cheney's schilling for Romney

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Hot off email from Washington post

When Mitt Romney arrives Thursday at the gates of Teton Pines, a majestic Wyoming country club where captains of industry flock each summer to golf on an Arnold Palmer-designed course, his purpose will be greater than spending another evening separating rich people from their money.

Romney will be taking a big step toward becoming the official head of the Republican Party, as the presumptive presidential nominee is feted at a $30,000-a-couple dinner at the home of Dick Cheney, the living thread connecting the past five Republican presidencies.

By hosting a fundraiser for Romney, the former vice president — who in his retirement remains a powerful leader of foreign-policy neoconservatives yet a deeply polarizing figure outside of the Republican base — will make his grandest gesture so far to pass a torch to Romney.

“This does not look to me like Bush-Cheney redux,” said former congressman Vin Weber, a veteran of the Bush-Cheney campaigns and a senior policy adviser to Romney.

That's funny they should say that. That was the SECOND THING that popped into my mind.
    The first was -- I wonder if Cheney will invite any of the guests hunting with him?
    lol

I can't post the link but hopefully someone else can!

1. profile image0
      rickyliceaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not the neoCONS again.
      Romney has already pandered to them promising to increase defense spending, perhaps he plans to "bomb bomb bomb iran" as well.

1. profile image0
        SassySue1963posted 11 years agoin reply to this

A strong defense does not mean anyone is looking to go to war. President Obama has already given our space program over to the Russians, is trying to give our guns over to NATO and has cut defense down to the bone. Better wake up before we are sitting ducks for whoever wants us.

1. undermyhat profile image60
          undermyhatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

His plan is to cut the United States Navy to its smallest number of ships since before WWI ---- WWI !!!

A strong Navy is essential for a safe and peaceful sea - to suggest other wise is foolish.

2. LauraGT profile image85
      LauraGTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh PLEASE let them go hunting together!!!

3. undermyhat profile image60

You mean they didn't have to push Obama off the course before the big, evil Republican meeting.  He has played more golf than any other President and more than either Eisenhower or GWB - both of whom were mocked for golfing.

2. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

Shocking: Republicans are pulling for Republicans, while Democrats are pulling for Democrats!

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Barack's got Bill out there stumping.
    Don't see W lifting a finger for old Mitt though. Do ya?

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Billy sure is a slippery one though.

In an interview with CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight," Clinton, a top Obama surrogate who is set to raise cash with the president next week, directly contradicted Democrats who have attacked Romney's business record, suggesting it does qualify him for president.

"I think he had a good business career," Clinton told guest host Harvey Weinstein, a movie mogul who is one of Obama's top fundraisers. "There's no question that in terms of getting up and going to the office and, you know, basically performing the essential functions of the office, the man who has been governor and had a sterling business career crosses the qualification threshold."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/bil … d=16474493

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
        Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He also said

""The Obama proposals and the Obama record will be far better for the American economy and most Americans than those that Gov. Romney has laid out," Clinton said. "And that's what the election ought to be about."

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
          Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. JSChams profile image60
            JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He also said to Ted Kennedy before the 2008 election"Come on Ted. A couple years ago this guy would have been getting us coffee." Referring to Barack.
            No love lost there.

2. undermyhat profile image60

You also didn't see GHWB or Ronald Reagan campaigning for candidates, why?  Because, appropriately, they viewed the position of former President to be honored and sacred.  Washington set the standard that Democrats like Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter and FDR all ignored, a standard embraced by more decent men like Truman, Eisenhower, Reagan and both GW and GHW Bush.

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
          Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're joking about Ronald Reagan, aren't you?
          I think the main reason he didn't campaign for later candidates had more to do with his mental state than anything else.
          W keeps a low profile because he doesn't want more shoes thrown at him.

Dead seriouis about Reagan and GWB was in Iraq when the shoe was thrown by a Bath Party friendly reporter.  Reagan did hold his office in high regard - why would you contend otherwise?

2. American View profile image60
            American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No question Reagan kept a low profile due to poor health. But Bush keeps a low profile because that is who he is. Bush was never one for the spotlight which is why he was not a good public speaker. Here in Texas we hear about all the charitable events he does but there is almost never any pictures or news interviews with what he is involved in. Bush is actually very active.

He has been very active in charities for wounded warriors - starting and running a mountain bike ride.

1. American View profile image60
                American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He has held many other functions than the recent 3 day endurance bike ride on behalf of the wounded warriors. He has also been involved in many other charitable events such as several medical research fund raisers, several to assist the poor in the state of Texas just to name a few.

I think the bike ride is an annual event.  If you notice has exchewed the high dollar public speaking tour also.  Liberals mocked Reagan for making money as a speaker - something he did for years before his term as California governor - but refuse tohold Bill Clinton to the same standard --- oops ANY standard.

1. profile image0
                    PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bush has not "exchewed [sic] the high dollar public speaking tour"  unless you think $15 million dollars in speaking fees is not high dollar.  Google it and you will see.

I won't provide a link because you will undoubtedly find any source I provide to be questionable.

Good for him.  I am glad I am wrong.  exschew) hard to type with work gloves on - big glove fingers hit many keys at once. erxscfhndesw = eschew

2. profile image0

Really?

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/09/us/19 … ation.html

"In his first comment on the 1992 Republican primary campaign, former President Ronald Reagan tonight endorsed the re-election of his successor, George Bush."

"The endorsement appears to be the opening salvo in what is expected to be stepped up activity on behalf of Mr. Bush in the 10 days leading up to the Feb. 18 primary.

The President is scheduled to campaign in New Hampshire on Wednesday and Saturday, and officials with the campaign say negative campaign commercials have been prepared...."

Really? ?  I wasn't aware that it was 2000 and that Barrack Obama was Bill Clinton's Vice-President.  There is a difference.  Would a archived report from FoxNews be acceptable as a source?

1. profile image0

Oh, okay, a diffference.  roll

And, yes, I have never been one to automatically reject a source.  I know others do that here, but I reject faulty reporting, regardless of the source.

Do you have evidence that factual errors exist in this archived report?

The difference is that GHWB was Vice President to Reagan - that is a significant difference.  BHO was despised rival to Hillary of whom Bill Clinton said that he would have been serving drinks in old days.  That isn't enough difference?

I do like it when partisan sources write things like - unnamed "campaign sources say..."  Clear indicator of a bogus line.

1. profile image0

It was your contention that Republican former presidents are somehow displaying more reverence for the office of President by not campaigning for other candidates for the office.  I showed that Reagn did, and now you claim there is a "difference."

Well, I contend that both GHWB and GWB were damaged goods who were not invited to campaign due  their lack of popularity.  GHWB was a one-term president most known for breaking his "read my lips, no new taxes" promise, and we all know that GWB's level of unpopularity makes him a liability.

Clinton, on the other hand, is quite popular and definitely an asset.

3. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'd take W over Cheney any day. I'm pretty sure ol' George has a heart.

Cheney has a brand new heart and it supports homosexual "marriage."  Isn't that better than lying, idiot, Jesus freak GWB?

1. Two Minute Review profile image61
            Two Minute Reviewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cheney's been on record supporting gay marriage for almost a decade. Say whatever else you want about the guy, but he was way ahead of the curve on this one. That's what happens when you have a gay daughter like our former VP...

I am aware of this.  he made several statements to that effect as VP candidate and VP.  Just evidence that he is not the fossilized man that liberals like to think he is.  Whether I agree or disagree, he is a human and there for both more flexible and less flexiable than others perceive him.  It is where the observer stands that matters.

2. profile image0
      SassySue1963posted 11 years ago

He also said President Obama was wrong about not extending the tax cuts.
      http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06 … -tax-cuts/

Clinton learned during his first term how to compromise and work both sides of the aisle. President Obama has decided if Congress won't do what he wants, he'll over reach his powers to do it anyway. That in itself is a pretty scary concept.

3. Two Minute Review profile image61
      Two Minute Reviewposted 11 years ago

"Schilling" is either a former major league pitcher (and current failed businessman) or the artist who recorded the hit "Major Tom".

"Shilling" is the act of speaking for someone else, and that is certainly what Cheney is doing here. I don't know how anyone with a rational brain can deduce that Romney would be anything like Bush. Other than their party affiliation, what do they have in common? One was a renown alcoholic, the other never touched the stuff. One is a Mormon, the other a Christian. I've seen no indication that Romney will be anything like Bush. Quite the opposite, I think his ability to work with the other side on key issues is remarkable. He doesn't want to talk about healthcare, or his entire career as a governor much at all, but he had to deal with a state legislature that was 85% Democrat. Does that count for nothing? I know what he's SAYING; he has to say a lot of that. Do you think Obama expected to realistically keep all his promises? Remember "I'll cut the deficit in half" and "close Guantanamo within a year" and "healthcare debates will be on "C-SPAN"? You have to make bold statements to get elected. Do I realistically think that Romney can get the unemployment rate to under 6%? Of COURSE not. Ask Democrats defending Obama these days, and they'll argue that there's little the president can even do by himself. But it's red meat, and politicians do it all the time...

4. Nouveau Skeptic profile image64
      Nouveau Skepticposted 11 years ago

Does anyone not already know about Cheney's role as kingmaker?

Do we have kings?  What role does he play?  Does he get that many more votes than any other America?

1. Nouveau Skeptic profile image64
          Nouveau Skepticposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"king·mak·er (k ng m k r). n. One who has the political power to influence the selection of a candidate for high public office."

Do you honestly believe that one need genuflect to Dick Cheney to be elected President as a Republican?

1. Nouveau Skeptic profile image64
              Nouveau Skepticposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh come one, he is influential in deciding who gets the position. This is very clear.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)