Getting Google Malware Warning on Forums?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

Hey Staff,

I just cleared my cache and ran my CCleaner to make sure my computer is fine and my virus protection(including spyware and other things) hasn't found anything on my system.

However, I'm getting a warning from Google about entering one forum thread and it's only one forum thread.

The thread below is the one doing it.
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/99881?p … ost2151989

I've included a picture of the Warning as well.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6907065_f248.jpg

The warning says that planetsmilies.net are being flagged as malware on that thread. It also says that Google has reported to Planetsmilies.net about the problem.

Actual message by Google:

Warning Something's Not Right Here!

Hubpages.com contains content from planetsmilies.net, a site known to distribute malware.
    Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.

Google has found malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker.

You should not proceed, and perhaps try again tomorrow or go somewhere else. We have already notified planetsmilies.net that we found malware on the site.

Now, this could be affecting individual people or it could be effecting traffic, or both.

1. Terri Meredith profile image69
      Terri Meredithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm getting the same thing.  I was at the site but a second ago and got the same thing.  Then I saw your posting and here I am.  Very strange!

2. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the heads-up email, Cags.  I am looking into to it.

Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. It triggered my browser every time I open a forum thread where that smiley is.

3. Anti-Valentine profile image74
      Anti-Valentineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

First, what is the full title of that thread? Where is that warning coming from? Is it issued by HubPages, or Google, or what? It doesn't look like Google's one.

2. Cagsil profile image71

Another thread has now informed me of the same thing.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/100529

3. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

Just one more way those crazy political forums are infecting HP! Are you getting any malware warnings on religious threads? If not, that is surely next! lol

So far, no I am not.

I have a feeling I have been able to identify the Smiley which is causing the problem, but it's never been a problem, up till now. hmm

4. Cagsil profile image71

And yes, this smiley is causing the warning to appear. I just verified it.

5. Cagsil profile image71

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/100668

This thread is yet another which is getting the warning. I traveled to the hubber's profile who uses this smiley at the end of his posts and it is what is triggering the warning.

6. Cagsil profile image71

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/95750?page=2

Again it is verified by accessing yet another forum thread where that Hubber leaves his mark(smiley).

Edit: The hubber who is using it is http://quilligrapher.hubpages.com/

For some odd reason Google is detecting it as Malware. hmm

7. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

Didn't see this Cags, or I wouldn't have started a new thread, but in following the link to here, and to the other thread you referenced here, I am getting repeat warnings.

Izzy, your receiving those warnings because I have posted the smiley that is considered malware in this thread. So, when you enter this thread, you should get the warning.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image74

I didn't get the warning. Maybe everything's sorted out now.

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No its not, I just re-visited this thread, and the warning appeared again.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image74

Funny, I don't get it. Which browser do you use? Might have some relevance. Anti-virus software?

I'm presently using Google Chrome. It might not be triggered if you're using another browser.

But, that doesn't solve the problem for those who are using Google Chrome.

8. snakeslane profile image82
    snakeslaneposted 11 years ago

I didn't get the warning either. IE

9. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

I use Chrome too.

10. Anti-Valentine profile image74
    Anti-Valentineposted 11 years ago

I use Firefox - the latest one (14.01).

That's not to say that there hasn't been some sort of compromise. I checked the Google diagnostics page for planetsmilies . net and it says that malicious content was found recently. Likely hacked, if you read the part about "how did this happen?"

It happens with sites that have widgets too. It's a good thing that HP doesn't allow the addition of third party widgets and so on to hubs.

11. Cagsil profile image71

Well, that concludes that Internet Explorer and FireFox are not getting it.

So, the problem is with Google Chrome, which is what I figured it was, considering the Warning itself is coming from Google.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you still getting the same warning in Chrome?
      I looked at the Hub and can't find the domain mentioned:

Am I missing it?
      Can someone point me to the problematic post in the thread?

Hey Matthew,

Please use Google Chrome and then bring up this thread. I have posted the smiley which I found is causing the problem with Google Chrome.

As I have just learned it is not happening with Internet Explorer or FireFox.

And it's not a hub. It's here in the forums.

And Yes, I am still getting it every time I bring up this thread. I posted the smiley and which hubber uses it.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image72

I see the Forum thread to which you are referring, but I don't see the URL that Chrome is identifying as malware in the thread (planetsmilies dot net)

I don't get a malware warning on the Forum in either Firefox nor Chrome.

If I go to the URL directly I do get a message:
          http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/ … ilies.net/

Deleted

1. Matthew Meyer profile image72

Thanks! Got it!
              I removed the smiley from the affected Forum thread.

The issue is with Google classifying the entire domain as malware.
              I don't think you want to turn off malware detection in your browser.

3. jacharless profile image75
          jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a hack.
          Normally, a packet/code is dropped to scrape/hijack user browser data and/or iframe ads that do the same, which, in my experience, is a diversion tactic, because the hack is trying to access vulnerable front end or server files. I mentioned yesterday seeing strange activity from yieldbuild, when running a site speed scan, then wham! site went offline. There is a possibility something got in through the back door. But, am not positive of that. Tis a pain to clean out too -going one potato two potato, to find the codes. Wordpress is infamous for this type of thing !!!

James.

Good to know James, but not actually helpful to me. wink

1. jacharless profile image75

It is helpful. go Mac and avoid the hack!   hehe.
              You can try to use your Private Browsing option, to block the cookie.
              HP will have to run their cleaner to see if there is an infection, sever side.
              It won't necessarily hurt your computer but will collect data you probably do not want collected. wink

I wouldn't buy a mac even if someone gave me the money to go buy it. tongue
                Understood.
                Oh, okay.
                I'm not sure what information it could possibly take. There's absolutely no real information on my computer, aside from my browser holding my passwords. hmm

1. jacharless profile image75

Depends on the objective. That smiley face company might be attempting to extract user trending --meaning sites you visit within a specific time frame, or attempt to extract feed links and favorites. Some will even try to force hidden downloads or demand cookie/certificate acceptence, in order to drop these packages onto your machine. In turn, they sell this information to marketing companies around the world, for top dollar. That is the gist of spyware.

Malware, on the other hand, tends to do more damage, as it can have hidden commands to override codes, extract or inject data into the system. A hack will often divert attention, like that smiley face icon or an iframe ad, that appears and disappears. While annoying the bjingas out of the people, they are dropping malicious code into the end of files who's permissions are not set high/vulnerable to read-write rules.

Good to know. wink

12. Cagsil profile image71

Is it a setting on Chrome that needs to be changed?

Or does this smiley need to be stopped from being used?

13. Cagsil profile image71

But Matthew.

This smiley is used by a Hubber and he leaves it as a signature for his posts. It's ALL over the forums.

Aside from that, I posted it on the first page and I no longer have the power to delete the post, so it's something you are going to have to do from your end.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)