Good for John McCain!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (40 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

The old guy still has a little "maverick" in him. He went up against other members of the GOP in order to defend Hillary's aide:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ … redirect=0

I'm sure many of you will disagree, but I still think he and Hil would have made a great team!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad he stands up for what he believe in and doesn't let anyone stop him; so many others seem afraid to criticize wrong doing.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

right!

3. Ann1Az2 profile image74
      Ann1Az2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll probably make myself very unpopular on this subject, but here is an excerpt from an article I wrote last year. It pertains to the Salafist and Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt.

The Muslim Brotherhood was founded in Egypt in 1928 and is technically not a legal organization. In the 1950s, it was banned after an attempted assassination on the Egyptian leader, Gamal Abdel Nasser. Also, by Egyptian law, a religious group cannot run as a political party. Never the less, the party has gradually won seats in the parliament by putting independent Muslims in place. In 2005, the Muslim Brotherhood had 88 seats in the Parliament. In 2011 the party has so far won 60% of the votes.

The Muslim Brotherhood has been the breeding ground for more than one jihadist movement. In fact the founder of the Salafists, Sayyid Qutb, was a former member of the Muslim Brotherhood. He was so radical in his beliefs that the president of Egypt, then Gamal Abdel Nasser, had him put in prison and later executed.

Any aide to anyone in our Government who has any connection to the Muslim Brotherhood should not be there – regardless of whether that person is a member or whether her family is. If someone’s background doesn’t matter, then why check it in the first place?

Personally, I don't want an aide or anyone else in our Government who has anything to do with the Muslim Brotherhood and I don't think there is a thing wrong with doing some background checking.

Perhaps it could have been done with a little more discretion, but it should be done, nonetheless.

1. Josak profile image59
        Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

OK, first, no one is responsible for the beliefs of their family, I have family members with some very wacky political opinions, that has nothing to do with me and I bear no responsibility for it nor should it affect my life or that of anyone else, I wager most people have a relative with a radical political perspective (how many people have racist grandparents?).

Egypt was a repressive governemnt designed to maintain it's own power it's actions are not a moral justification fro anything.

Thirdly people are allowed to believe whatever they want and support whomever they want and that should not affect how they are treated or what jobs they can have that is the basis of American freedom and anti discrimination so long as they don't break the law people can believe whatever they want without consequence. (Unless they run for election obviously in which case they can not be elected)

1. Ann1Az2 profile image74

My point was that what happened in Egypt can happen anywhere. Contrary to what many people think, the Muslim religion is not a peaceful religion - ties to the Muslim Brotherhood have been proven to exist in terrorist groups.

Am I prejudice against Muslims? Yes. Look at the countries that Islam has infiltrated. Do you want American to be like that? Jihad and Sharia law?

People who are born in the US have a right to belong to any religion they want...isn't that in the constitution? The vast majority of Muslims are peaceful, especially those who were born in the US and Canada. There are extremists in most religions

So basically you are agreeing with Bachmann?

It is the extremists we have to worry about. I would venture to say that a vast majority of Germans were not Nazis, either. Most probably loved their country just like we do, but they sat back and let Hitler take over, a little at a time.

That's what I'm saying could happen in our country if we let extremists in our Government. I'm NOT saying this woman is, although her husband is  a nutcase (but that's a different story). I'm just saying we need to investigate. We do background checks on all Government personnel. I got one when I worked for NASA.

This is one instance where, yes, I agree with Bachmann. They should look into it.

I'm pretty sure she would have been investigated before joining the State Department....

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
                  Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Pretty sure" isn't good enough, UW.
                  We were "pretty sure" Obama had been properly vetted to be an American citizen and thus eligible to run for POTUS.
                  And look where that got us.
                  Nope. We simply can't trust our highest level government vetters to do their job.
                  Probably something that should be privatized to mercenaries.
                  "Vetting by Halliburton" anyone?

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

Have you considered moving to Israel?

I would love to move to Israel. Unfortunately, I can't afford to. I think Prime Minister Netanyahu is a very smart man.

Don't get me wrong. I love our country. I vote in every election, so I have the right to complain. What I don't like is what's happening to our country. We're losing our freedoms and that's what happened to a lot of other countries, like Nazi Germany for instance.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77

What rights do you feel are being taken away from us, by whom, and since when?
                I don't want to assume you're talking about one thing when you may mean something entirely different.

Well, let's see:
                  Seat belts are required in all states that I know of (I'm not saying it isn't wise to wear one; I'm just saying I hate to be told I have to wear one).
                  Motorcycle helmets are required in a lot of states (here again, I'm not saying it isn't wise to wear one, I'm saying when I use to ride, I hated to be told I had to wear one).
                  There is talk that the Federal Government should have jurisdiction over the Internet in an emergency. Trouble is, what constitutes an emergency?
                  Soon, people will be forced to buy health insurance. The IRS is going to enforce it.
                  Speaking of the IRS, they have the power to garnish wages and put levies on private property, making it impossible to sell unless the lien is paid for.
                  So, you say, pay your taxes and you won't have that problem. True enough. The average worker in the U.S. works the first 6 months out of the year to pay income tax.

Still think we live in a free country?

3. Josak profile image59

Ah, prejudice and bigotry, got it, nice talking to you.

Prejudice against a religion that has created havoc around the world? Bigotry against Nazism? Yes I am. And it was nice talking to you, too.

It is not the religion...it is the extremists...

Sorry, I disagree. The Muslim religion is an extreme.Let me give you a brief history of Muhammad, the founder and so-called prophet of Islam.

He tried to establish in Mecca the "one true religion." When bloodshed took place, he compromised with the residents of Mecca and introduced 3 of their gods into Islam, supposedly goddesses. He realized later that this idea was probably introduced by Satan. Ten years after founding Islam, his wife died. Two months after her death, he married a widow and then, a seven-year old girl. In the end, he was married to 15 women, mostly gained through war with rival tribes. One was a 10 year old girl.

But wait, it gets better. Islam spread to Medina where "holy wars" began. People who lost the battle had a choice to either accept Islam, pay taxes, or die. Jihad was born. To die for Islam would result in landing in eternity surrounded by virgins. In one battle, over 2000 Jews were killed.

Since the Sudan was declared an Islamic republic, many pastors have been killed and as many as 130 church buildings destroyed.

From the Qur'an:

Surat al-Taubah (Repentance) 9:29: Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, and forbid not that which Allah hath forbidden by His messenger, and follow not the religion of truth, until they pay the tribute readily, being brought low.

Yes, our country has freedom of religion, but Islam is a different way of life. Muslim countries are not free. The people can not worship as they see fit - they must worship Allah.

Is this what you want for America? Islam is dangerous.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm glad we have a scholar here who can tell us what is right and wrong. No one is suggesting the US become a Muslim country...it is not going to happen the same as Canada is not going to become one either.  If you outlaw one religion then you have to outlaw them all. Whatever, this is not about the Muslim religion, this is about an attack on a very well respected woman.

This woman is not a religious leader, she is a woman who was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan and graduated from George Washington University. She has been employed by Hilary Clinton since 1996. Sadly, she is married to Anthony Weiner that is her only fault.

2. Quilligrapher profile image73
                    Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good Evening Ms. Ann. I found your post above interesting, highly selective, and extremely biased. It clearly indicates you are not a practicing Muslim and you know very little about Islam. To indict Islam as a religion of violence and atrocities also proves you know even less about Christianity and the Old Testament of the bible.
                    Before passing judgement on the customs in Mohammed’s day, consider this, “While twelve to fourteen may seem very young to us, it was common in biblical times for women to be married at that age, and much older than fourteen would have been uncharacteristically old for marriage in her culture.” (1) A bit of insight lifted from a Christian web site discussing the age of Mary, mother of Jesus, when the angel Gabriel appeared.

To further understand man’s propensity for unimaginable violence, one need not look further than Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice his own son or Christians burning unbelievers at the stake during the middle ages.

While I disagree with many of the sentiments you expressed in this forum, I understand they are your opinions about Islam. I would suggest, however, if you really want to know about Islam, go to your nearest mosque and sit in on lessons being taught to other Muslims. In that setting, I think you will really learn about Islam.
                    Q.
                    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6911436.jpg
                    (1)
                    http://www.truthortradition.com/modules … mp;sid=887

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

John McCain disagrees with you smile

4. Josak profile image59

Agreed, I disagree with John on much but he has moral fortitude and he represents sanity in a right wing which has lost a lot of it.

2. mperrottet profile image82
    mperrottetposted 11 years ago

I'm so glad that the old John McCain is back - I always respected him even though I didn't vote for him.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 11 years ago

I agree.  He definitely wins my respect, even if I couldn't imagine ever voting for him.

4. Gypsy Willow profile image65
    Gypsy Willowposted 11 years ago

Good for him. So easy to start a witch hunt while every one is in a jittery state over world affairs and the bad economy. America has enough on its plate. There are pretty effective means in place to track real terrorists that the general public don't know about.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

John's a Republican.
    Not a Tea Partier.
    He's wondering how his party got usurped by loonies like Bachmann. I imagine he is not the only one.
    I hope others join him in standing up against and squelching this witch hunt/diversion designed to whip hater people into IRRATIONAL FEAR and LOATHING.

BTW, anyone else just a tad suspicious why this is occurring NOW? Months before the November 2012 election? I mean, Huma Abedin is not NEW to working with Clinton. Hmmmm. Why might this DISTRACTION be fomenting anti-Islam concern at this juncture (hint: Barack Hussein Obama running for reelection and the birthers didn't do their job completely).

Here's an interesting snippet on Huma. From yet another left-wing media bastion, TIME.
    http://www.time.com/time/specials/packa … 19,00.html

6. Mighty Mom profile image77

P.S.
    And yes, Habee. You know I totally agree on John + Hil.
    I soooo wanted to see McCain reach across the aisle and tap Hillary as his Veep.
    Talk about making history! I still hold out hope for an inter-party platform to bring us all back to center and sanity.
    Sure wish I knew what Hillary is planning to do between now and 2016!

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would LOVE to see a mod R and a mod D join forces!!

7. grand old lady profile image84
    grand old ladyposted 11 years ago

McCain is a true hero. I often feel he is underappreciated...

8. Mighty Mom profile image77

That makes exactly 1.5 Republicans standing up.

Washington Post
    QUOTE OF THE DAY
    House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) commenting on letters from five Republican lawmakers detailing allegations against Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin:

"I don't know Huma. But from everything that I do know of her, she has a sterling character, and I think accusations like this being thrown around are pretty dangerous."

9. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

If McCain says she's no threat to the US, I believe him. I sure don't want to be judged for what some of my family members have done!

10. JBrumett profile image60
    JBrumettposted 11 years ago

Good ole election years, always generating fun news stories.  The way politicians connect issues reminds me of Space Balls when Lord Helmet tells Lonestar he's his brothers, sisters, best friends, neighbors, ex roomate or something along those lines. 

And what does that make us?

Absolutely nothing! Which is what your facebook page is about to become.

Seriously though,  politicians on both sides like to get into the news.  It's what they do.  If we listened to everything they say we'd all be on anxiety pills.  =-P

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)