Decriminalization of drugs in Portugal led to reduction in addiction.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)
  1. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 11 years ago

Because instead of punishing people for drug use, they helped them with treatment programs. Should the US, where most people are in prison for drug offenses, adopt the same decriminalization policy?

1. christin53 profile image82
      christin53posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree drug users need help not punishment it's the people who supply the drugs who should get very harsh sentences.

2. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Goog question. The model was establishedd in Holland. 40 years ago the police just started telling people to move on, "Not on my beat." Then, the government sponsored Dope Busses, that brought drugs to the addicts. The addiction rate to heroin dropped in half. I"ve been there, drugs are a non issue except for drug tourists.

Portugal found that cases of new HIV infection dropped after heroin was decriminalized. Dealers still go to jail. Addiction dropped off and it did not become a drug mecca.That's because there's treatment required for users, and jail time for dealers. Hollard has just said 'forget it."

Spain in on the road to legalization.

The U.S. is not quite as civilized as these countries. There would be a 1960s drug craze if legaliation were put into effect. After a few years, and an huge increase in homelessness and insane people jamming up the streets, there would be a decline in uise, like in the 1980s.

I'm for state sales and taxing of marijuana, heroin and cocaine. Look what the high tax did to cigarette use. But the U.S. is more into guns and war than solving social issues, so all people can do is argue for a tax on Marijuana at this point in time.

2. NateB11 profile image88

Yes, absolutely. Seems punishment of drug users makes the problem worse, worsens their lives and costs society an awful lot; and Portugal has provided a successful alternative. In the end, Portugal seems to have found a way to actually solve the problem and not exacerbate it. Of course, also taking away the suppliers' customers (by rehabilitating them) is also a more positive solution.

3. profile image0
    rickyliceaposted 11 years ago

I don't think that we should punish users or consumers, the market will provide whatever is in demand and that's just how it is.
    I read an article about in the New Yorker, and nothing bad happened after legalization.
    It's just fear mongering from interested groups and wanna-be nannies. Adults should be able to do what ever they want.
    http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011 … ct_specter

4. NateB11 profile image88

Yes, I agree. I don't know why they think they should or can control people and tell them what they can or can't do. Good article, thanks.

5. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

"U.S. is more into guns and war than solving social issues," Illegal drugs are another way of controlling people.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1. And  illegal drug users who commit offences are highly profitable for the likes of G4S!

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
        Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years agoin reply to this

G4S. the global securit firm, will make millions off the murders in Colorado. Good point. People in Congress are of another class, and they don't get to see the end of the barrel of a gun they way common folks do.

I once worked in a prison run by the state, not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. My job also ensured that I visited prisoners in private prisons, run by G4S, nonetheless. The two were incomparable. Now, G4s not only have the massive Olympics project, but have also won contracts for welfare to work and working with troubled families in very deprived areas, such as Salford. I dread to think what the outcome might be....

6. NateB11 profile image88

Fascinating stuff, Billy. I watched a documentary about Holland and agree they are much more enlightened, generally, and specifically about this issue than the US. I absolutely agree the US is more interested in war, putting money into that, not to mention making the prison system a business backed by the government. I also agree drugs would not be a problem in this country except for the fact that they are illegal. Making them illegal creates more violence and misery.

7. knolyourself profile image61

Hello Hollie. Are you going to attend the Olympics?

Hello Knolyourself, me thinks not...you said Olympics and you don't have a licence. We're all Palestinians now.

8. knolyourself profile image61

What you saying? You need a license to attend the Olympics?

No. But you do need to be an Olympic sponsor to use the words "Olympics, summer, gold, silver and bronze" when marketing your products, Oh, and if you're in the catering trade you have to sell "chips" with another product such as a hamburger and fries, because Mc'Cs have the monopoly on the word "chips"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho … 45436.html

1984???

9. knolyourself profile image61

The Oxxxxxpics originally was for amateurs. Amateurs are against the law since the last one in the eighties named 'Eagle Eddie'. Now it is just a corporate extravaganza for professionals, to pile up  those propaganda metals. I will probably watch some of it anyway.

Cool. There's nothing wrong with enjoying sports. It's just got all a bit too corporate and frankly stupid for me, but I'll still support all those who've come from afar and worked really hard to get here. Won't be buying Mc's though...mind you never did. smile

10. knolyourself profile image61

smile smile smile smile And the good news is.....http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/dec/01/mervyn-king-bank-of-england

11. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Don't seem to be any dissenters in this bunch.
    You've all nailed the reasons why the US won't decriminalize drugs.
    Less civilized is a polite way of putting it!

The other obvious one being Big Pharma controlling the "feel good/feel better" supply through the medical system. They won't tolerate competition!
    We all know addicts are not deterred by criminal prosecution or threat of prosecution.
    Incarceration without treatment is a waste of taxpayer money.

NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. And I didn't think of mentioning the pharmaceutical companies, paying doctors to sell their drugs, experimenting on the population (I don't know about literally, but it's the way it turns out), keeping kids on Prozac and Ritalin and then wondering why there's school shootings, damaging people's brains and zoning them out; and the list goes on as far as that subject goes. I'm sure the pill pushers don't want people using medical marijuana unless they can find a way to corner the market.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.
        However, currently there is a lot of abuse in the medical marijuana system. Not because there's anything wrong or bad about using marijuana medicinally.
        But because it's illegal and people are so desperate to obtain it without risking going to prison that they end up scamming and abusing the Medican system.
        Yet alcohol is advertised on billboards and tv....
        As are way too many of Big Pharma's goodies.

Imagine what all these cash-strapped states and cities could do with the sales tax on MJ.

NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

As far as medical marijuana goes, I've seen a lot of people abuse it and become lifeless and claim they are using it for medicinal purposes; I don't really think most drugs, including marijuana, are necessary, except in some relatively extreme cases like terminal illness, etc. But I still don't know why any of it's illegal and I also, as you say, can't believe they'd advertise alcohol and push pills, both of which kill and damage a lot of people.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)