Concerns about my hubs and traffic overall, please help!

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Rustedwho profile image60
    Rustedwhoposted 11 years ago

Well, I started out my hub adventure about two weeks ago. So far, I have a total of 20 hubs and eight followers. On any normal day, I receive anywhere from 5-15 page views per day. Seems rather low to me but then again I am completely new to online writing. To make matters worse, I was denied for the apprenticeship on Friday. I understand that there were a lot of applicants but was just kinda hoping I would make it. With all that said, I am starting to think maybe my hubs are sub-par. Can anyone give me some strong and direct criticism? Thanks for any input ahead of time!

1. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For only being here two weeks, you are doing well. As for the apprenticeship just apply again and get a little more tenure under your belt. Many of us have applied and been denied, it really isn't something anyone should take to heart.

I have had the opportunity to do other things including writing for the examiner so don't let anything stop you from being all you can be! Just focus, build your base and write. Welcome to HP! smile

2. PegCole17 profile image95
      PegCole17posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello Rustedwho and welcome to HubPages
      You've asked for strong and direct criticism and I see no need for that having read one of your hubs so far. What I would suggest to help improve your traffic and views is to begin by giving what you hope to receive. That is, read other people's hubs and get a feel for what works and what doesn't. Each person is different and we all started out wondering why we only made 3 cents so far. Try not to make that your focus, allow yourself time enough to develop a following and comment on a few hubs. Stick with writing what you know about and enjoy despite the traffic stats. So that's my 3 cents.
      Best of luck here. I know you will like it.
      Peg

2. tamron profile image68
    tamronposted 11 years ago

I noticed you write a lot of recipe hubs.  I really don't know how recipe hubs preform.  Maybe someone here that has recipe hubs can tell you if recipe hubs get good traffic.  I can't really tell you.

I checked out your hubs.  I see you know how to group your hubs.  I was going to suggest you do that I was looking in the learning center I was looking for the link for overly saturated topics that I wanted to share with you but couldn't find it in the learning center.

Anyhow stay away from topics that are never ending like "How to Potty Train Your Puppy" or SEO topics ect...  If I can find the link or someone else does I suggest not to write on those topics if you are here to make money.

3. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

You just started, so keep your expectations low.  I mean, real LOW.  If it makes you feel any better, I was also turned down for the program.  And I have been writing all of my life.  I mean, writing put me through college, paid for my houses and cars, settled my divorce, and is now helping me fund my retirement.  Will I apply again?  Most likely--NOT.  I am retired, and I realized the demands of this program.  If I was accepted and dropped out to chase my interests, that would mean that another writer could have had my space.  You have to look at the big picture when it comes to your writing.  Online is NOT my cup of tea because I am a former features reporter.  To learn about SEO and all the ins and outs of online writing is something that I don't care to understand.  I'm not in this for the money or to learn to be an online maven.  I just write for the pure joy of it because it is the major passion in my life.   I can understand wanting all the rewards at once, but it doesn't work that way.  Work on the craft of writing.  The awards and the other good stuff will come later, and they will usually come as a surprise.

4. christin53 profile image84
    christin53posted 11 years ago

I've just checked your hubs and you do have a lot of recipes. I have some recipes and from my experience they don't do well. When looking at other peoples recipes I've noticed the ones that have a lot of comments usually have quite a lot of written content before the actual recipe as well as quite a few photo's showing different stages. Some also include video's. I hope this helps.

5. carol7777 profile image76
    carol7777posted 11 years ago

I am also new here.  And just learning to navigate HubPages successfully is a challenge. I spend time writing, commenting, foruming and checking out other hubs of successful writers.  It takes time and patience but also you have to work at this. You just need to keep plugging everyday and write every day.

6. menash profile image60
    menashposted 11 years ago

For me....my traffic gain at a great pace but, suddenly dropped to 10 views....anyone know what that's about?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)