Tiger Woods is back!! What say you?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (46 posts)
  1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

Even Nicklaus applauded him!!

This win tied Woods with Nicklaus — the tournament founder!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/04/sport … -wins.html

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A great player who has went through hell in his personal life under the microscope of the media.  Good to see him back in the game. 

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How are you Randy.. hssssss, glad to see you again here. Let us see if this is the beginning of more wins! Well the media loves to sensationalize news and stories which they deem will give them more viewership or readership.

Hi back attcha, Maita!  Yes, I've served my silly 4 week ban by the HP hall monitors and am back for a few days at least!  lol

I'm pulling for Tiger because it had to be tough getting so famous at such an early age.  Yes, he's very rich monetarily, but there's some things money doesn't buy.  I believe he will make a good comeback, but if not, he's still a great golfer despite his other faults.  smile

You were banned? Good you are back. As a golfer, Tiger is really good, tied with Nicklaus for second best ever yet.

2. Ramsa1 profile image61
      Ramsa1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good to see Tiger back to his old tricks.

Yes!  The course is killin' 'em, but Tiger is hangin' in there!  Still along way to go, though!  smile

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61

Like Randy said - a long way to go! smile

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 11 years ago

That was a great flop shot on 16. I'm not sure why, but golf is more interesting when he's playing well.  We even watched the last 6 holes live.  Can't remember the last time I did that for a non major. 

It was kind of strange to see him walk off the course, shake hands with Jack and basically be alone.  I have strong memories of the cameras flashing to his mom, dad and wife.  Seems strange to see him win this way...

Great shot indeed. I was just glad looking at him even after the game, at the press conference.

3. Kaili Bisson profile image95
    Kaili Bissonposted 11 years ago

We were watching too, and while I applaud Tiger on this great achievement, it is really wonderful to see a lot of new guys coming up. Rickie - though this tournament just got away on him...I felt his pain with a few of those missed putts - Bubba and Rory.

They are all promising and Tiger is Tiger. Thank you for your comment.

4. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Hi Maita...

Well it's about time that he started again using the club selections that his Kiwi caddy had suggested to him, before Woods sacked him during a pathetic Hissy-fit! sad

How many tournaments did he win with Kiwi Steve Williams as his Caddy and Shuddup-and-Don't-Tell-The-Wife Buddy? smile

It must be hard screwing everyone who trusted him and then being able to blame them for his insincerity... but good on him... he's greased the palms and lost his balls a few times.. along with the best, motivational caddy in the game.. smile

Hi Rob. It is always good to see you. He was loyal to him, but I guess Tiger needed a change and he sacrificed his caddy. I think he needed to get past his life before, that is what I am getting from that.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Maita... I Love Sports as much as You... So please.. Don't get me wrong... I'm not rubbishing the guy for his talent or great contribution to the game... he has been someone who has inspired many and shown that Golf can be an exciting game!

What I'm saying is... That his bouts of Monica Lewinskism etc had far greater fallout than many here are prepared to consider.. and as a Role Model to 1000s throughout the World.. he gave little genuine regard to those supporters, loyal friends and fans! sad

Factually, he only really started to act with some credibility, when his sponsors started to pull their funding! But he still betrayed everyone as a result of his choice to turn his selfish actions back onto others and blame them, rather than accept HE was the problem - completely.. deal with it and act honorably! Be real... would you feel let down if you had been his partner, friend, confident/caddy?  Be Honest... and do that without considering the $s. Guys like John Daly have shown the public that great golfers are human as well.. personally, I think Daly's situation gave Woods the perfect opportunity to be more honest!

I'm sure that faced with the harsh reality of all the facts... Mr. Woods ultimately realizes that He not only badly let a lot of real people down, but also the guy that worshiped his Father.... Himself! sad

And he should learn lessons from it. I really wish him well because he is a rare talent, above all what will make him more greater is to show to himself and the world that he could be a good and shining example.

Thanks Rob.

5. Doc Wordinger profile image94
    Doc Wordingerposted 11 years ago

It depends on what you mean by 'back'. He'll probably never reach the dizzy heights of 2000 again but with two victories already this year, he's back amongst the world elite. I can see him picking up another major this year although he might need a few more months until he gains complete control and consistency of the swing changes that he's been working on with Sean Foley.

It's a little too early to predict but I wouldn't be surprised if he won the PGA Championship in August. The US Open and British Open might come a bit too soon.

The problems in his private life seem to be behind him now but I think a major question mark still hangs over his ability to stay injury free. For the remainder of his career, I expect fitness to be his biggest challenge along with the rise of a new generation of players.

Is he back? Yes and No. He'll probably never be truly back, not to where he was between 2000 and 2008. But it's great to see him winning again. He has been the best thing for golf over the last 20 years.

The win is a confidence booster anyway! We may yet to see his best, who knows. Thanks for your comment!

6. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 11 years ago

I saw he was now the #5 ranked golfer in the world.  I'm not sure what it takes to get back to #1, but it seems like it could happen.

He said he came out and played Olympic Club to get ready for the US Open.  Probably why traffic was so bad in SF last week:).  I think Olympic Club is as suited to Tiger's game.  He definitely has a shot.  I'll be watching if he's in contention.

Like what I have said, it will definitely boost his morale, hoping for the best!

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Tiger is back...whoopdeedoo. Big flippin'deal.

1. Doc Wordinger profile image94
          Doc Wordingerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If Tiger is back then IT IS A BIG DEAL!! A Very big deal.

We are talking about the richest and most powerful sportsman on the planet; the most successful and dominating sportsman of the last 15 years. He has been the face of golf since 1997 and also the most recognizable person involved in sport.

He completely shattered the status quo and showed young black kids that you didn't have to be white to play golf.  Viewing numbers sky rocket when he's in contention. He gets people talking about golf. Woods has been brilliant for the game.

Right. It is nothing personal, but talentwise, he excels in golf.

7. prettydarkhorse profile image61

Thanks everyone for responding, it is just nice to see that he is getting there. And probably this will be the start of another great moments for him.

8. thelyricwriter profile image82
    thelyricwriterposted 11 years ago

Not by a long shot. Tiger has did this a few times this year and can't pull back to back solid performances. Until a streak is built, at the least a few top 10s, I can't put all my chips in on Tiger.

9. Billrrrr profile image86
    Billrrrrposted 11 years ago

Ill tempered.

Profane.

Suffers from over active libido that he is unable to control.

Apparently cannot control anything in public life except a golf club. 

Since we define success today by how much money someone makes, I guess he's the biggest success in the game. 

He will be cheered by thousands - maybe millions. 

Sad commentary on life in the U.S.

1. Doc Wordinger profile image94
      Doc Wordingerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can measure his success by the 14 major championships he's won.

Tiger was conditioned from the moment he was born to act and think like a robot. His dad had him hitting golf balls as soon as he could walk. At three he was appearing on TV shows with Bob Hope. He was carted all over America to play junior golf tournaments and had the media scrambling after him whilst he was still in school. Consequently, he had little time for a normal childhood and had very few friends his own age. We know what happens to people who endure bizarre or non-existent childhoods. They turn into people like Michael Jackson.

Something was always going to give with Woods. Up to December '09, he was simply too well-adjusted under the spotlight for someone who was emotionally brainwashed, raised predominantly around adults and then earned $100m overnight after turning pro. There was always bound to be skeletons in the closet. And because golf is such a polite and gentlemanly sport, when those skeletons appeared they were always going to be loud and grotesque. If those same skeletons had fallen out of a boxer's closet, they probably would have been swept back in before getting any further than the back page of some obscure Vegas newspaper.

If you are looking for a more agreeable commentary on life in America, why not look towards the other 99% of US golfers who behave like angels. Before professional golf, most of those guys probably had lives that weren't too far removed from normality.

His libido is nobodies business but his own. Same goes for his family life. Sin or no sin, you'd expect that right to privacy for yourself too.

As for setting an example: for every kid he's inspired to take up pimping, prostitution, adultery and petulance, there are probably another 10'000 kids who've begun healthy, lifelong golfing hobbies because of him. Did he motivate anyone to take up adultery AND golf? Possibly but I doubt it. Most male golfers head straight to the golf course when their wives aren't looking.

My only real gripe with Woods is that he chased the corporate dollar relentlessly by endorsing every luxury product under the sun, thereby increasing his exposure further. Other than that, he's done a lot for golf, and given a lot back through The Tiger Woods Foundation.

I'd love to see him back on track because the prospect of a rivalry with some of golf's newest stars will raise golf's profile even higher and bring more kids into the game...assuming they ain't too busy throwing tantrums and visiting brothels.

1. Billrrrr profile image86
        Billrrrrposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like your reasoned and  well written comment.  It gives  me a little more perspective on the golfer and the person behind the putter.  I'll never be a fan, but I am a fan of the way you wrote your thoughts.  Nice work.

I bet you also like his explanation and thanks for your comment BTW.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61

You have a nice perspective about Tiger and what he went through. A lesson is always learn in different stages of our lives.

Thanks for your insights!

10. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

+

You've posted a nice commentary. The past can't define who we are today. Whatever he's lived through, we haven't. Give the guy a second chance. It's always inspiring to watch someone rise from the heaps.

another plus

11. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 11 years ago

Fame is tough for young folks.  It takes their childhood away in some cases.  They never get it back, no matter how hard they try.

The snake speaks wisdom!

12. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 11 years ago

Personally, I don't root for him anymore.  I don't hope that he fails, I just won't be particularly sad if he never plays well again.  There are plenty of golfers who don't humiliate their wives and who deserve to win.

I respect your opinion. Human actions are complex and hopes he regretted what he did and learned lessons from it!

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

How did you come by the personal goings-on between all of the golfers and their wives?  Where does one find this info? yikes

13. thelyricwriter profile image82
    thelyricwriterposted 11 years ago

Once again, history and Tiger repeat. Hate to see Tiger like this. He needs a major to get the monkey off his back.

I agree with you! smile

14. prettydarkhorse profile image61

Still, Tiger is still the highest earner in golf, LOL!! Not the number one in all sports anymore, he was unseated by boxers Mayweather and Pacquiao.

He needs to win not only bec of money, but I believe in his talent!

15. prettydarkhorse profile image61

If there are doubters still!
    Tiger with another win!
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/pga … 55964630/1

1. profile image51
      Harris74posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Such as this web-site your web site is 1 of my new most popular.I similar to this information shown and it has offered me some sort of ideas to possess success for some cause, so keep up the excellent work!<a href="http://www.bossaswimwear.com/swimwear-clearance-sale/">swimsuits clearance</a>
      <a href="http://www.bossaswimwear.com/bikini-swimsuit/">bossaswimwear.com bikini swimsuits</a>

16. prettydarkhorse profile image61

He rallied late today, July 21, 2012 at the British Open.

Hope he can catch up!

1. hubby7 profile image63
      hubby7posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Damn prettydarkhorse! U never told me that you were a golf fan and namely, a Tiger Woods fan. I am too. I wouldn't say that he was totally back, but I would offer that he is damn close. Tomorrow should be an exciting tournament with Scott, McDowell, Snedeker, Els, Tiger, and host of others in the mix. With the exception of Adam Scott, it's anybody's tournament to win. Nice to connect again, and if you have the time, check out my latest hub on the shooting in Colorado.

K, good you're back, hope he wins today!

17. hubby7 profile image63
    hubby7posted 11 years ago

As I indicated heretofore, it was anybody's tournament win and I should have added that it was Adam Scott's tournament to lose. It turned out just as I predicted. As they say: "You can't win them all." Woods came close but not close enough. There's always next time and it seems that he is getter closer and closer towards winning a major pretty soon. All we have to do is keep our eyers open. It might come sooner than we expect or when we don't expect it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)