Narcissism….Bastard Son of Religion

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (83 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

Many, not all, Christians on HubPages are not at all apologetic about their narcissistic view of existence in general and of the human condition in particular. Is that surprising? In their failure to view the world as it is and take some form of responsibility for their interactions they are, in reality, looking abysmally on the rest of humanity, the earth as a whole and, in so doing, are thumbing their nose at the universe in general.

Sorry, I just felt like saying that.

1. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1 big_smile

2. brittvan22 profile image75
      brittvan22posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Smh, what has Christianity or Christians done to poor little Emily, you seem to have a lot of aggression and angry. Let's talk it out. smile Sn how did you get away with saying bastard, I said, "Big Bang Gang (as in hairstyle) in a question yesterday and they hanked my question. Is there a double stand if you are Christian you can't say "BIG BANG GANG!"

Yep - christians are also keen to play the victim card,  could'nt be anything to do with not understanding the difference between using a common English word and a phrase associated only with rape now could it.

1. brittvan22 profile image75

@ the panda, when did "Big Bang Gang" be misunderstand as "Gang Bang" I won't even engage you on your views, I am certain they are as ridiculous as your profile picture, hide behind a bear. Also speak when spoke to, unless your name is Emile of course. Sorry I only engage people sad.
          "

nasty too - definately a good ol christian here then big_smile

Your total misunderstanding of how the internet finds words etc indicates that you should take a look at the learning section of hubpages.

Nasty, hmm, how do you presume I respond to someone talking when not spoken to and insinuating rape? Really and what did you think I was going to do, I think I gave you the same respect you gave me. As far as being a good ole Christian, you are entitled to your own opinion as am I, bear. As far as your miseducations of specific wording, there you go again going off half-cocked. Oops, do you want to take that out of context as well. Sn, the expression is OLE, I will even take old, but ol, get out of here! You must be from the good ol' South, am I right? Don't answer that don't really care. Taking lessons from you bear, no thanks! Happy hubbing or should I say Horrible Hubbing, thats how you will take it anyway, you seem to have an uncanning knack for misunderstanding and butting in where you are not summoned.

As the OP says,  Narcissism bastard son of religion, or daughter in this case I guess.   This is a thread - anyone can comment, not just those you would like to comment.

Your misunderstanding and ignorance of the internet is your problem - not me,  get over yourself.

Aww bear, get over myself huh? As far as internet ignorance, thats you all day. I would lap you on my worst day, thats why pandas are in short supply. Now I am a bastard daughter, you are laughable dear bear. You came on here looking for a fight and don't care who it was with. You are definitely one of those people that answers when no one is talking to you, lonely I guess. The difference between you and Emilie is she obviously had integrity and reason, you are just angry and may want to seek help. You had no idea what I was talking about and jumped into the conversation yelling rape, get out of here. From now on, try to keep your minut opinions in the cage, where they belong.

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You expected to be allowed to say BIG BANG GANG? My, oh my, how dare you!!

Just kidding. I'm not attempting to pick on any one and I haven't been violated by any Christians. (with the exception of the fact that they insist on mispelling my name) Honestly, I just copied the name of the thread Nihilism...bastard son of atheism and rearranged a few words and thoughts.

Chill out. smile Is it your contention that many Christian philosphies aren't a little narcissitic?

Lol, I didn't purposely misspell your name, was multi-tasking. Hmmm, copy cat, you sure you're not Christian, just kidding. I honestly thing it has been used as tool for some to push their agenda, good and bad. Its such a vast religion I think people could see that more if there wasnt such a need to quickly call things that the majority doesn't accept heresy or pagan. I think there is truth has to be sought. Are there narcissist in Christianity, yes, but its not just Christianity as long as there are people it will be an issue, narcissism is not new to man.

2. Sawfishlagoon profile image60
          Sawfishlagoonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am a Christian. I think it is very clever. I saw the forum, but did not open it. My guess is it was antagonistic, and this is a smart rebuttal. I appreciate humor. God made me that way.

3. Eric Mulford profile image60
      Eric Mulfordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Emile:
      I really appreciate your honesty in this post. As a Christian my first reaction should be to defend my position, but that would simply prove your point. The fact is your point is on target! Many Christians are very narcissistic in their public and private lives. This should be viewed only as it is - about the person and not about Christianity itself.

Now that you have said that...

What is the next step? Do we discuss the view that the true essence of Christianity should destroy narcissistic thoughts and actions? Do we consider that a Christian claims to be a follower of Christ who exposed self-absorbed ideas and lifted up humility and love as the greatest virtues?

I'm just curious what you think should come next?

1. profile image0

That would be a great start. The question is, how do you get through to people where their narcissism begins? How do you get through that it isn't the voice of the 'Holy Spirit'  telling them it is OK be selfish and self centered?

Yes, we do consider the hypocrisy involved in the claim, juxtaposed against the actions of the individual.

Honest reflection. Movement toward a more compassionate view. A revolution in your ranks.  Not much more than that.

1. Eric Mulford profile image60
          Eric Mulfordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really like your response:

Honest reflection...important for everyone! Believers should consider their ways. We need a very healthy dose of introspection. It isn't the Holy Spirit telling you that you are the center of the universe. I see this in business and every other dealing with others. And please don't hide behind some lame saying like "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven." That only proves the point.

Movement toward a more compassionate view...Wow! We must stop ignoring Jesus who said, "By this (love) shall all men know that you are my disciples." I guess the only way for people to know that you're a disciple if you not loving is for you to tell them? Oh yeah, that ISN'T working. Must be the reason Jesus said so.

A revolution in your ranks...been trying to accomplish that for a long time. I love these kinds of posts because they remind me that there's a lot of work to be done.

Not much more than that...if those three things were being done nothing else would be required!

Thanks, Emile!

4. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile

I'd help you out on this one Emile but I was narcissistic long before I was a Christian.  I really can't help you lay a cause and effect on it.

1. stclairjack profile image78
        stclairjackposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol!

2. profile image0

I'm not surprised you were first a narcissist. smile

I don't think religion makes one narcissistic. We all are, in some ways. I simply think misunderstanding the purpose of religion allows someone to not only ignore it in themselves but to blow it up into unhealthy proportions.

Agreed.

2. tamron profile image68
          tamronposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Emile R
          Hi I'm back!  I always love your threads because they are so challenging and your responses.  Thanks You Keep Me On my Toes.

I got a question for ya?  Have you ever had some religious person really get under your skin?  Did you feel judged?  Did they belittle you?  Totally turn you off with their possessiveness toward their religion?

You might be surprised how I answer you to why they are that way?

1. profile image0

Honestly? Not often and not for long.  But, do tell why they are that way. I have my theories, but I'd like to hear yours.

1. tamron profile image68

Thanks for quick reply!  Satan and his demons hangout in the church.  It don't matter what religion. 

If a person or religion tries to make you believe that if you don't comply to their believes you will go to hell.  These are just signs.  The religion won't except you because you don't meet their standards such as income and such.

While in public you have to meet a certain standards.  When someone presents God or Jesus in such away it makes you sick and want to run.

The biggest sign is when people can quote 100's and 1000's of scriptures from the Bible then turn and twist the scriptures to prove their point or to convert you.

These signs are what is called a religious demon spirit their mission is out to deceive you and put fear and judgement against you.

These people are possessed with an evil spirit.

God/Jesus only speaks the truth.  Never passes judgement and he does not manipulate you with fear.

1. Sawfishlagoon profile image60

Thankfully, people like that are a small minority. They tend to be vocal and in the forefront, like the nutcase in Florida who burned the Koran or certain blustery TV personalities. On the ground, there are those who have harrassed some of the writers here. My condolences. The uninitiated may assume that this is the crux of the faith when it is more like the lunatic fringe. The demon to which you refer is a "religious spirit" Jesus said, "My burden is easy and my yoke is light."

Somewhere, it says that perfect love casts out fear.

1. tamron profile image68

Look at some of these religions that brainwash people to the point of suicide.  That is a perfect example not only religion but false religion.

I remember those scriptures you were talking about.  I can't remember where they are either.

Thanks for your reply!

I agree -
                    but - You don't need to quote extremes to back your previous post just because someone tries to push you there.

You are correct in that the behaviour of almost every church, and most other groups who say they worship a deity go against the teachings of their principal source of information.  You are absolutely correct when you state that in christian scripture it says so - and it also states quite clearly that these people do not represent their own christ figure.

If you choose to see that as demonic then that is your perspective, I just see it as people trying to get one up on others because they are lacking as human beings, that this is often associated with such activities as racism and homophobia and comes from the same base - which is why so many so-called christians who post in these forums are homophobic and racist.

Posters in these threads try to say these behaviours are extreme examples when it is the norm - and with every word they write they put themselves farther from their christian own requirements as they lie, and all those other things that you point out.

I know where they are. The Bible was not written in chapter and verse. "The Word' is meant to live in your heart on a level too deep for words. I wonder why people post so much scripture. It is ineffective. An original thought would be refreshing

2. profile image0

OK. I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting that. I will agree that anyone who attempts to manipulate through fear has nothing of value to offer.

5. profile image0
      rickyliceaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

wiser words were never written in this forum. wink
      Their ideas that the earth was created for them and that God spends all his time watching them, can only be characterized as narcissistic.

6. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nice parody.

As I said on that other forum I personally know a few narcissistic Christians. On in particular is my father in law. This is a particularly frustrating combination because a narcissus is always right in there own mind. To satisfy the ego the narcissus will reinvent the past and believe their own lies. Combine this with Christianity and you've a serious personality problem as I guess it would be a problem when combine with any religion. For example he is not afraid to tell his neighbour he shouldn't cut his grass on Sunday because Sunday is a day for rest, but he doesn't see that he just finished cutting the hedges.

1. profile image0

lol I laugh since I know a lot of people like that. But, it's to be expected. I guess anyone who thinks they have to be good enough to hang with a deity will have to believe a lot of revisionist history.

2. recommend1 profile image60

In your answer is the nub of the issue I believe,  to have a solid faith in something that cannot be known is in itself narcissism. 

Looking into the unknown, the source of the universe and the future, and seeing yourself actually there . . . . . IS the narcissist looking in the mirror.

1. profile image0

I've also know many Christians that are humble, kind people. Most people have some narcissistic qualities, but a real narcissus is like a runaway train wreaking everything it meets. They think only of themselves and use others to satisfy there own ego, caring for no one. Once you know what to look for they are easy to find. They talk only of how great they are or were and speak badly of everyone behind the back, and I mean everyone - you included.

Conversely, to deny your own spirituality, and be emphatic that there is no God, is narcissistic. It Implies that you see yourself as the final authority on all of the issues of life. I find it strange that you go on as you do. Why is it so important for you to contend against the belief of another? Why do you single out Christians to wear the blanket statements you weave? There are so many other religions. What is so special about Christians to you?

You appear a little confused -
            spirituality does not require any belief in a god.
            that's quite a jump from anything I have ever said to making me the 'final' authority on all the issues of life

I don't single out christians, I am equally critical of any fundamental religion and of those who spread those deseases

I do however have a particular dislike for over blown responses to simple posts and trolls attributing things to me that I did not say, or 'inferring' things that never were.

Nice to meet you, too.

3. tamron profile image68

Don't blame it on your father in law.  Judging by your post he is full of pride and fear.  People who think they are always right have major issues.

He is so full of fear that he has to be right in his mind because he thinks he will go to hell.  His pride and fear will cause him to be rejected by others.

This is not what God wants from him.

Think about this for a minute.  Why is it so important for any of us to be right?

4. profile image0
        diyomarpandanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0

You make a very good point. Although, most of the religious I've met though the years consider their religion to be superior. I'm not sure Christianity is different from most any other religion, in that respect.

1. kathleenkat profile image84
            kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Would you then presume it would make sense for religions not to believe they are the "one true" religion?

Like I said, we all believe what we think is right. When you believe that a Porsche 911 is the absolute best car on Earth, you would then think those who believe Nissan Sentras are the best to be wrong, no?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
              MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But most sensible people are able to admit that a Porsche has it's downsides and the Nissan has it's positives.... Instead of blindly sticking their fingers in their ears and singing *lalalala*  when the faults of the Porsche are pointed out or the good things about the Nissan are pointed out...

And generally Porsche owners don't picket Nissan dealerships or try to convert their owners.

Obviously, you have never driven a Porsche on the Autobahn.

2. profile image0
            diyomarpandanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0

If you notice, I said most.

However, I don't think you can use Gandhi as a representation  of all Hindus anymore than you can use Jesus as a representation of what all Christians are.

2. jacharless profile image75
          jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol Why am I just now seeing this thread? Saw the nihilist one first, I suppose.

James.

1. profile image0

I saw the other one first too. I thought I'd throw this one up to point out how ridiculous it was.

5. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

What the pathway to knowledge shows is that control of the ego is necessary for true enlightenment. Knowing that the divine exists within means that my words are not mine, my thoughts aren't mine. That is, I don't own them. The very planet we walk on, is not ours, any of ours, to do with as we please. We are all travelers on a path, and each moment is a point upon the path that we will never pass again. We should act that way. I don't think I am better...I am equal.

1. profile image0

Well said Dude. You lived up to your name with that one. :-)

6. Rui Carreira profile image84
        Rui Carreiraposted 11 years ago

Christianity isn't a path to narcissism. There are narcissist Christians, narcissist Buddhists, narcissist atheists.

It's all about the individual.

I won't take part in the top Bang Gang discussion big_smile

7. kathleenkat profile image84
        kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Many, not all, non-Christians on HubPages are not at all apologetic about their narcissistic view of Christianity in general and of the personal beliefs in particular. Is that surprising? In their failure to view the world as it is and take some form of responsibility for their interactions they are, in reality, looking abysmally on the rest of humanity, beliefs as a whole and, in so doing, are thumbing their nose at religion in general.

1. profile image0

Haha. I said it first, so it must be true about Christians not nonbelievers. Anyway, your avatar proves you're a copy cat. smile

All I am trying to point out, (that is, in the nicest way possible) is that  both sides are likely guilty of narcissistic views. We all only believe what we believe is right.

1. profile image0

Was that nice? Is that the best you've got for nice? To call non believers narcissistic is nice? I just don't know what to think at this point.

Other than that I agree. In theory. Me being the exception to the rule, of course. It isn't narcissistic for me to be self absorbed. I'm just reacting the way everyone does who knows me. Heck, if truth be known, the universe revolves around me.

I did not intend to come accross as mean.

I simply edited your post to show that it goes both ways.

Also, I am too a non-believer. Your view is just a little harsh for my beliefs.

1. profile image0

I started this thread as a joke, but I do think many Christians are narcissistic because of their interpretation of their religion. It's a horrible philosophy when you think about it. 'God loves me. God is watching me. God bought me a new truck. God is always thinking about me. God forgives me because he loves me. I'm going to heaven and you aren't, because God loves me and not you.'

It's all me, me, me. Is that all they think about? Do they honestly think the universe revolves around them?

As I said, I agree that we are all narcisstic in ways; but the levels of self absorption aren't always identical. If your belief puts you on a cosmic pedastal above another human being I think you have a problem you might want to explore.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
                psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

pot: kettle?

1. profile image0

Yes. I'm a little teapot. Do you have a problem with that?

8. kathleenkat profile image84
        kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Religion unfortunately is held much more personally than (most people do with) cars.

9. movielardatadare profile image55
        movielardatadareposted 11 years ago

Quite an interesting viewpoint.

10. SpanStar profile image60
        SpanStarposted 11 years ago

I find it interesting that you would lay this word ( narcissistic  ) at just the feet of Christians when I've found some non-believers can't accept anything a Christian has to say.

1. profile image0

Let's forget the fact that you may not know the definition of the word narcissist, judging by your comment.

Don't take too much offense. I thought the nihilism thread was  a pointless attack on atheists, so I started a thread with his words rearranged a bit, just to make a point.

It didn't really work. Only a few people got it. And an atheist called me a tea pot because they were too obtuse to know I was joking at one point.

I do think a percentage of Christian philosophies are driven by narcissism, but not all.

1. SpanStar profile image60
            SpanStarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You may find it hard to believe but on the Internet there are reference materials that do define narcissus so you're wrong about me not understanding the definition of the word.

We're talking about people who are self absorbed if one isn't listening to another person that is a definite indication that person is self absorbed.

1. profile image0

No, that isn't necessarily an indication that the other party is self absorbed.  It seems a little inconsiderate for you to arbitrarily assume that has to be the case.

And how is it that your point of view is better than my if you want to talk about being inconsiderate?

I say you're wrong about being self absorbed as I have outlined.

If I were to say to you don't bother writing me anything anymore cause I don't want to hear anything you have to say since I'm perfectly satisfied with my perspective-(Self Absorbed)

1. profile image0

You still don't get it. I didn't say my point of view was better than yours. You appear self absorbed by completely dismissing the  possiblity of reflection of others on the subject. What makes you think people don't listen  simply because they don't want to hear you? What, within you, makes you need to believe that? Instead of trying to understand the motives of their actions you summarily dismiss the value of all individuals by trivializing their thought processes?

And, you haven't presented an effective argument to support your assertion that everyone else is self absorbed,  simply because they don't agree with you.  You have somewhat proven my point by the very argument you have presented.

And if you suggested I not write anything else because you don't want to hear it I would have to say you are being dishonest with yourself.  Why would you read what I wrote in the first place? Why would you continue reading? Why not stop, if you don't want to hear it?

The statement could imply that you can't control your own actions, so therefore feel the need to attempt to control mine? What would be lacking within you if you were to make such a statement?

My statement regarding the self absorbed was presented in an example format which I  suspected you might take literally.

Well I have to say there was certainly a lot of character assassination by you towards me based on what ever distorted viewpoint you have regarding my comments.

I have addressed the issue of narcissists several times you just refuse to see it. If you're saying I'm dismissing the value of others simply because I don't agree with what you're saying simply means I am entitled to my own point of view as are you.

1. profile image0

If you would point out how I have attacked your character.....if I have attacked your character, I will apologize. If I have not attacked your character you might consider getting over yourself.

Emile still going in this Sunday morning, must be tiring though, you going on 48 hrs, no?

2. SpanStar profile image60

Save the apologize I believe I can weather this storm:
                           This might do for a start

What, within you, Makes You Need to Believe that? Instead of trying to understand the motives of their actions you summarily dismiss the value of all individuals by trivializing their thought processes?

11. tamron profile image68
        tamronposted 11 years ago

Where is everybody partying?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)