Drought USA

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    rickyliceaposted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6944056_f248.jpg

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/  (Map of Drought)

"July 22 U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
    reports indicated that 55 percent of the nation’s pasture and
    rangeland was in poor to very poor condition, breaking last
    week’s record."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-2 … text-.html

Is this a preview of the effects that Global Warming will have in the U.S?
    Will this cause a massive increase in food prices?

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It cannot help but affect food prices.
      But don't dare mention the words "global warming" or "climate change" or else no one will talk to you!
      tongue

1. profile image0
        rickyliceaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

Supposedly global warming will help Canada, so that should somewhat balance any lost production in the U.S.

2. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is this a preview of global warming in the US? Maybe it's really hard to say. Will it cause food prices to rise absolutely yes.

3. undermyhat profile image60
      undermyhatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Indiana is in real trouble.  That means higher corn prices.  Corn is an ingredient, base and additive, in so many different things that the general level of food prices will move up.

My front lawn is bone dry, reservoir levels are down.  Every promise of rain bypasses the state.  Worst drought in Indiana since the 1930s - not since the end of the last ice age - as far as anyone knows.  If this is what global warming looks like - I will take it.  No more snow shoveling, slide offs, ice storms, long, dark, frigid, depressing Februaries - sounds like heaven.

1. profile image0

"Worst drought in Indiana since the 1930s - not since the end of the last ice age - as far as anyone knows."
        WOW!!!
        I wish your home state of Indiana and your front lawn the best.
        Hopefully things will shortly improve.

1. undermyhat profile image60

The best thing that could happen to my front lawn is for it to be replaced with a Nevada style rock and cactus garden so I don't have to mow it anymore.  Fat chance though, as soon as the drought breaks the wife will be chasing me outside.

1. profile image0

I've always taken a survival of the fittest approach to lawns.

4. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are a lot of studies of the increasing incidence of extreme weather and its relation to climate change.

The American Meteorological Society pumps out report after report like this one: http://www.ametsoc.org/atmospolicy/clim … Gleick.pdf

I lost interest when I hit fifty, to be honest, expecting to be dead before the worst arrived (you can only care so much).

Now I am starting to wonder if I was living in false expectations. Suddenly things are starting to move very fast. For example, 97 per cent of Greenland's icecap melted this month.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree … sheet-melt

That is scary...

So if it keeps getting warmer Greenland will be available for cultivation,  all that fresh water will be released into the ocean and cool it, and more moisture will be in the atmosphere?  So cooler water, more moisture, more arable land - sounds like the perfect environment to grow crops.  Sounds awesome.

1. Will Apse profile image88

Well, you might need to quit large areas of the US. So start making offers. You better be quick though. That kind of melting event (repeated only a few times) would be enough to disrupt the gulf stream. Which would most likely mean a new ice age in Western Europe. You might have to share with some rowdy Germans.

Plenty of Germans in Indiana already - settled the So-East part of state - in towns like Oldenberg.  A new Ice Age is more like the return of the Ice Age - has happened many times in the past.  Indiana bares the "scars" of the last major North American glaciers.  Maybe learn to hunt polar bear in my back yard - also sounds awesome.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I've already seen one report stating that we are positively going to get buried in food price increases. And even if there wasn't a food shortage, the drought will be used as an excuse to raise prices through the roof anyway à la just like the oil companies do when there's negative oil news.

1. profile image0
      DMartelonlineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Of course it will cause a rise in food prices *and gasoline* .... Nearly everything you eat has some form of corn in it. If we do not have enough corn to meet demand price goes up.

1. profile image0

Yeah and corn is used to produce ethanol, which ties in with oil prices.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The lack of corn will cause most meat prices to go up, because corn is used to feed meat animals. Dairy products will go up too.

3. profile image0
    rickyliceaposted 11 years ago

I found this other drought map seems Northern Mexico is also suffering a severe drought, while Canada is doing o.k.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/temp-and-preci … -maps.php?
    lang=en&year=2012&month=6&submitted=true

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6944219_f248.jpg

4. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

This is pretty significant as it affects parity prices for wheat, barley, oats, corn and other grown grains around the world. We, in Australia, are already starting to see rises in prices due to grain and feed, as feed prices get higher, so do the produce it feeds.

Australia endured a near record 11 year drought that broke in 2009/2010. We are 22 million people.

A near decade long drought in the USA would be more devastating on a scale unimaginable (180 million+ population), especially to an already battered US economy.

If this current situation doesn't turn around over the next 12-18 months, we could have a new crises on our hands.

A population of over 275 million and a giant food exporter.  The demand for Indiana hogs and sow beans is very high, especially in Asia, could be good news for Australian exports but not its dinner tables.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ok 275 million, my stats are a little rusty. It will not be too bad for Aussies, we are abundant with food even if prices rise. Wil also be good for our export industry.

Between drought and flood you blokes could use a break.

5. ocbill profile image54
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

Inflation in this country is gonna be a ..... for many.   Housing, gas, and food will skyrocket while wages stay where they are. That's not a good recipe.

Gas and food are not included in inflation rates.

6. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 11 years ago

My friends from Texas blame the heat waves and droughts on the wind farms. They tell me the wind farms heat up the land underneath them which can change weather and rainfall patterns.

As reasonable as believing that driving a v-8 kills polar bears but Al Gore flatulance doesn't.

2. Will Apse profile image88

lol

I wonder if the massive wind farms now dotting the American landscape  cannot possibly affect the environment, given the scope and scale of those farms, while automobiles are accepted as a primary cause of global warming.  Isn't it worthy of scientific inquiry?

1. Will Apse profile image88

I think you will find that they work on different principles.

Both physical and political - however, given the increased manufcature and employment of those windmills it is likely that there is, indeed, some kind of environmental impact.

7. Sawfishlagoon profile image60
    Sawfishlagoonposted 11 years ago

The globe has always fluctuated. The activities of man do have an effect on the atmosphere. It would be ignorant to think that doesn't affect weather somehow. Man was created on the earth. We are part of the natural order. So, it is a natural occurrence when our activities effect the environment. Unlike other blights, man has the choice not to be one.

Get ready. In a short time, there will be nothing on the shelf but off brand tomato soup. I hope you have a garden.

8. jacharless profile image75
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

It is not surprising in view not lieu {thanks for the correction Aficionada! Man I am tired today. } of the drought, a massive push for micro-home farming was strongly recommended by the Americana political swarm. What did they know.

The increase of electronic emissions has been off the charts for the last decade. Couple that with constant noise pollution -planes, rockets, heavy machinery, trains, and such. The decibel level is 120% higher than natures normal production/frequency. That alone can set off a series of events from earthquakes, volcanic eruptions to major atmospheric changes -changes that would certainly effect rain clouds.

Already the food prices are high in the States.
    A single loaf of bread is nearly 4$, cows milk 5$, head of fresh broccoli 3.50$. Just ridiculous. We are starting to home-grow, from seed. Way less expensive -and completely controllable for volume, pesticide, etc. Only issue is space. New york isn't know for Babylonian Roof Gardens -but they are famous for Roof Top BBQ Hot Hub Parties. lol.

One more note: with this level of drought, the States could find themselves in Russia's situation, just at the head of the Great Depression. Everything is ripe for it -economics, wages, jobs, product, food, energy prices.

James

Now I am depressed.

2. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't you actually mean "in view of"? ("In lieu of"="instead of")

Hey, UMH, we are having a wonderful, welcome rainstorm in SC Indiana right now - well, it's tapering off a little after a half--hour of energetic weather. Maybe too much at one time? But it's too soon to tell, AFAIK.

What's it looking like up there in Indy?

I almost wept with joy when I heard a severe thunderstorm advisory over the radio around 2:30.  Good to meet another Hoosier on here.

1. Aficionada profile image79

Indeed!!

We got a deluge here, and it lasted about half an hour. We even had some little hailstones, but just barely big enough to notice. And my hubby says there are two more storm cells headed this way. Woo-hoo! --- I think.....

PS - I think there are several Hoosiers on HP, but some of them ignore the forums. Me, I spend too much time in them.  I guess I make up for the ones that are AWOL. Lol.

Looks like most of the rain will pass South of Indianapolis.   It is not unusual, Indianapolis is prone to sitting at the bottom of a heat inversion.  Has happened before will happen again.

It would be nice to form a Hoosier writers' group on here.  I think ignoring the forums is advisable.  I participate as a kind of mental yoga.  I need to do some serious writing soon, I am full of ideas and about to pop.

I like the idea of a Hoosier writers' group. I've thought on several occasions that I would like to have a Meetup, if nothing else. Which side of Indy do you live on?

Live about a mile from Eagle Creek Park - great place and work in Greenwood - also great place, especially for food and drink.

We should come up with a plan to have a Meetup in Greenwood and see who all would show up. big_smile

By the way,

I believe we need to thank you for your good wishes, rickylicea!  See, within just 17-18 hours of those wishes, my Indiana front lawn got some happy relief. big_smile. You might have a side career possible working in drought-stricken areas. Can you do something about global warming?

1. profile image0

Haha I wish.
                    Although I know a guy who claims he can do that and as a bonus shape shift into whatever animal you want.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6948176_f248.jpg

2. Barbara Kay profile image74

We finally got some rain here in Michigan too. We had only gotten 1/2" in almost 6 weeks, but got almost 2 inches in the last 2 days. Everything is still brown and crunchy unless it was irrigated.

3. Barbara Kay profile image74

James, New York's price sounded higher than ours. Prices are that high, but on a weekly basis you can get milk on sale for $2.50 and bread for around $2.00. If we had more jobs, I'd say move to Michigan.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)