Living With Regrets

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 12 years ago

What do you regret doing.   If you could change that regret, what would you have done differently to have a better and/or more stressfree life.

1. kess profile image60
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Regrets lies in the way you think...

You think there was a better way.
      You think you could have done better.
      You think you could have chosen a different path..

etc.
      etc.

Forgetting that all those thing make you you
      and to change one would mean a change in the you.

So the you having regrets would have been lost
      if none of the regrets were present.

So think differently....

And in thinking  different there are no regrets... and you preserve the present you...everyday all daylong.

1. profile image52
        waddlethroughposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this comment, about six months ago my wife had a miscarriage and off and on since I've tortured myself about what I could have done different/better to get the required help that may have avoided the outcome, in short I felt I let down my own son, but one thing that helped with this struggle was what your comment said, I had thought about this myself but it was nice to hear it reaffirmed, in fact it brought tears to my eyes that I haven't shed for months, thanks for your words, they mean a lot.

2. AshtonFirefly profile image69
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I regret being too afraid to stand up for my own safety and happiness in a variety of situations. hmm
      However, the best thing I can do it learn from the situation and move on...

2. formosangirl profile image79
    formosangirlposted 12 years ago

I am pretty opinionated, and I do express my opinion. My husband tells me that I am a great lawyer but a terrible employee. So, if I could do it over and turn the clock back to 16 years ago, I would set my opinion aside before entering the office and continue to do this. Being an individualist/realist does not pay off sometimes. Nobody wants to hear the truth. I am trying to teach my kids this lesson.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I procrastinated a lot. I've lost time. I've lost something I cannot turn back. That's what I am trying NOT to regret.

3. louiseelcross profile image88
    louiseelcrossposted 12 years ago

I regret not moving to warmer climates when I was diagnosed with raynauds. I spent 3 years in bed trying to stay warm. I was depressed, had no will to live and was in pain. Now I know that I will make the 2000 miles move for the sake of my health and sanity. I regret much time in my life wasted on worrying about things that I cannot even remember today. Take it from someone in their fifties, dont waste life, you only got one chance of it so do everything you want to do that will bring fun and happiness into your life, dont waste time worrying. x

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

' I regret much time in my life wasted on worrying about things that I cannot even remember today.' I can fully relate to that. We have a precious gift of life and we spend it on silly things so often! We afraid to live, to be happy, to make friends, to have relationships, to change our life, to move; we wait, and wait and suffer and in the end many things are simply too late. So many of us do that, me included...

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I just had this whole "regrets debate" on a Hub I wrote about regrets; and I still don't think I managed to convey that all regrets cannot be processed or viewed the way a lot of them (admittedly most, maybe; or at least the "standard variety")can be.

A person's choices or lack of better options in choices can be affected by others' people's mistakes and/or by other people creating a situation that has nothing whatsoever with the individual who will later regret what has happened as a result.  We don't live in a vacuum and aren't always dealing with a situation that includes keeping others' peoples contribution to our own regrets possible.  Going by "rules of preventing, or dealing with, regrets" doesn't always apply; because even if we know the rules and always play by them, other people often have little regard for the "rules of living".

There's no doubt that what we regret changes us, but it's not always for the better, or for the happier.  All change is not good change.  In fact, it is sometimes "for the more isolated" (because people who believe that adhering to a neat little set of rules for preventing, and dealing with, regrets are all that anyone needs to understand.

I'm not completely disagreeing with what the OP has said, but I think the only way it could be completely accurate would be to add:  "In a lot of cases, and with most types of regrets..." to what has been offered here.

Sometimes what we regret is not being able to stop others from preventing us from being able to follow those "rules of life" that can so often work well under normal circumstances.  Sometimes it's our following all those rules of life that actually leads us to regret.

Sometimes believing that we can keep things in life great, and in perspective, by following a few simple rules is for the young, the luckiest, and those who live enough of a "vacuum" that love, relationships, and a lot of real life don't complicate matters very much.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

"Living With Regrets"

If I could turn back time
    If I could find a way I'd take back those words that hurt you and you'd stay

I don't know why I did the things I did I don't know why I said the things I said
    Pride's like a knife it can cut deep inside
    Words are like weapons they wound sometimes.

I didn't really mean to hurt you I didn't wanna see you go I know I made you cry, but baby

[Chorus:]
    If I could find a way
    I'd take back those words that hurt you
    And you'd stay
    If I could reach the stars
    I'd give them all to you
    Then you'd love me, love me
    Like you used to do

My world was shattered I was torn apart
    Like someone took a knife and drove it deep in my heart
    You walked out that door I swore that I didn't care
    But I lost everything darling then and there

Too strong to tell you I was sorry
    Too proud to tell you I was wrong
    I know that I was blind, and ooh...

[Chorus]

Ooohh

ooh baby

I didn't really mean to hurt you
    I didn't want to see you go
    I know I made you cry
    Ooohh

[Chorus #2]
    If I could find a way
    I'd take back those words that hurt you
    I'd give them all to you
    Then you'd love me, love me
    Like you used to do

If I could turn back time (turn back time)
    If I could find a way (find a way)
    Then baby, maybe, maybe
    You'd stay

[to fade]
    Reach the stars

CHER LYRICS

6. Reality Bytes profile image73
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Regrets? I've had a few,
    But then again, too few to mention.
    I did what I had to do
    And saw it through without exemption.

Sinatra

1. tamron profile image68
      tamronposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Reality Bytes
      I want you to know no matter what I love the person you are even if we have shared some differences.  Thats OK!  We all Have regrets! Nobody has lived a perfect life.

My regrets that I live with is giving my daughter up for adoption and chose drugs over my son.

I feel like I should burn in hell!  I still do!

1. Reality Bytes profile image73
        Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for this.  Civil discussions fascinate me, disagreement adds extra spice to the conversation!

smile

7. wixor profile image61
    wixorposted 12 years ago

I remember this quote, but not who wrote it:

What might have been ain't necessarily what WOULD have been.

8. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

Thank you all for your insightful, thoughtful, and wonderful responses.   The greatest regret is not living in and fully embrace the present moment!

9. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

"We shall not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it."
    It's important to make peace with what has happened in our lives -- good and bad.
    I'm learning the value of self-forgiveness as the sane alternative to beating myself up constantly with "coulda/shoulda/woulda."
    The point is, I either did (and shouldn't have) or didn't) and should have.
    But it's done.
    Live in today.
    smile

Mighty Mom
      You are so awesome!  I agree with you!  We all get tripped some way or another and I do regret the past.  Before I had my son and Daughter I was trying to adopt my uncles daughter.  I had her for over a year they never so much as called.  All of a sudden they showed up at my "day care center" with cops and took her away 2 weeks later they lost her.  She was then adopted when I already petition for adoption so ya I am bitter.

Then years latter I got screwed up with drugs and lost both my son and daughter.  What really suck my son is 21 yrs old I thought he was going to be 18 in Dec.

10. PeppermintPaddy profile image61
    PeppermintPaddyposted 11 years ago

Stress-free doesn't necessarily mean the best life.

No you can't evade all stress!  I try to avoid unnecessary stress.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)