Why was Dave Matthews banned from HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (32 posts)
  1. aguasilver profile image69
    aguasilverposted 11 years ago

Dave Matthews has been banned from HubPages, his hubs have been taken down, and as far as I know, no reason has been given.

This raises some serious points to be answered:

Dave's Hubs are his property, if HP decide to ban you, will they give you access to your own property to copy the content and (if you wanted to) upload them to a new host?

Dave wrote some religious hubs, but also a host of other hubs, including recipes, and has no idea why he was banned.

This is NOT good, HP obviously have the right to withdraw their services from any hubber, but surely a reason should be given?.... if only for the hubber to have the ability to correct the 'wrongs' perceived or actual.

Was Dave attacked for his beliefs by opponents?

I for one will be trying to ensure that all my hubs are copied to my computer, in case the same thing happens to me.

This is not good client/service operator relationship and does not build any trust.

What is your opinion, and will HP actually provide Dave with any answers?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think he was banned more for attacking others than because of his religious beliefs. I'm sure Hubpages told him why he was banned. As I recall, he complained of being banned several times from the forum or questions. I guess you only get so many warnings.

I'm sorry he was banned permanently but I guess it's Hubpages decision and their right to make that decision.

There are lots of other places I'm sure that would allow him to publish his hubs. Others have been banned permanently and their lives have gone on.

aguasilverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, he can publish elsewhere, provided they (HP) allowed him to copy/remove his hubs existent.

I was unaware that Dave was attacking others, do you mean attacking or disagreeing? I mean was he abusive to other hubbers or just offensive?

Anyhow, thanks for the info....

John

1. gmwilliams profile image85
          gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To aquasilver, this is sad.    Why ban the man?   He had a right to his opinion!     Even though I did not agree with him, let him have his voice!

I agree, if Dave was abusive, ban him from the forums, but taking down ALL his work, two years or more of it, when much of it was good recipes etc, and not contentious, seems draconian, and UW as far as I know Dave has NOT been informed WHY he was arbitrarily banned and his work removed.

I guess the point is, HP can/could do this to any writer....

It's the HP equivalent of Guantamo Bay justice!

From my observation, although Dave expressed his disagreement, he was never abusive to those whom he expressed disagreement with.   He was always kind and civil-in other words, he was a complete and utter gentleman at all times.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My opinion is that you don't seem to have read or familiarized yourself with how HubPages works despite being on the site for two years.

HubPages has made it clear multiple times that they do not discuss what happens to specific people as to do so is an invasion of their privacy.  Admin is going to keep the discussion of the issue between them and Dave.  If Dave's got questions, he has to contact admin directly

Why accounts can be banned is pretty exhaustively explained in the FAQ, and it's also explained that unpublishing Hubs (removal from live/public view) does happen, NOT deletion of content.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#hubsdeleted

1. Sawfishlagoon profile image61
        Sawfishlagoonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

It doesn't work that quickly. The odds are it was in the Hub Hopper and someone else flagged it. Or the automatic filters picked it up.

Please.

Okay, don't believe me then. I was just telling you how the site works.

And...just because someone flags something it will not by unpublished if it does not break any rules. The ultimate decision is up to Hubpages staff.

I respect that. It was a good call. However, I changed it almost immediately, and long before I received notice that it was closed down. It wasn't a warm welcome. Maybe it was a psychological tactic. If so, it was successful. I am resolved to stay and build my pages (provided that I am not banned for my indiscretion).

2. relache profile image72
              relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If a Hub is flagged by a site user, it goes to the moderators, who are the ones to evaluate things and make decisions as to whether a Hub is in violation of site standards or not.

If there is a problem, it's admins call, not the judgement of a fellow site user.  Accusing someone of maliciously flagging your Hubs in the forums has the potential to be considered a personal attack (which can also result in action from the moderators).

Well, you saw the title. You must admit that it was a harsh response to an ignorant blunder. It was my very first hub. There is a lot of malicious activity on this site. May I point out that it is unprofessional and reflects poorly in public. This is a glass house. There is no reason to be pompous and arrogant. There are bigger and better accomplishments than being on a website for a long time.

I acknowledge my indiscretion. I understand the policy and will follow it at all times in the future.

Parvus Slackus it Longus Via (Latin) - "A little slack goes a long way."

2. aguasilver profile image69

100% correct I am afraid!

Never been much good at reading rules, but thanks for the heads up on this.

I have had hubs pulled in the 2 year I have been hubbing, and corrected them where the need arose, but never paid much attention to the whys and wherefores, I am not a commercial writer, so these hubs are my opinions and thoughts produced for those who follow me, not any attempt to make an income (though it seems I do!).

I tend to write directly into the hub, not use word, so I will need to copy my hubs across to the HD, however as long as I would have access to what I have written, should I be banned at any time, I have no problem.

Thanks for replying, it seems that there is no reason for anyone to be concerned, my main worry was that hubs could be deleted and lost, that is obviously not so.

Thanks,

John

3. profile image0
      paxwillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Aguasilver, for your own peace of mind you should always create backup copies of anything you write for another site and your own sites as well.  Even if you are not in danger of getting banned, the sites you write for can close up shop over night.  If you have your own site, your webhosting company can have a server crash that results in all your files being deleted.  (Had that happen before!)

I don't know if the banned member in question made backups, but he can always use Google to view cached copies of his hubs and copy the text from there.

2. Sawfishlagoon profile image61
    Sawfishlagoonposted 11 years ago

Have I made a mistake by admitting to being a Christian and expressing how I feel?
    I love the Lord.

No Sawfishlagoon, overall you will probably never reach 100 as  believer, and will be attacked just for being one, but as far as I have seen, not normally banned.

It could be that HP is a business and Dave was just not commercial enough for them, or maybe he offended a bigwig, what I dislike is that he was not told why, and his hubs (which are his hubs) were simply deleted in total.

After two years work, that is not good at all.

Off to copy all my hubs to the hard drive in case someone zeros my work sometime, and advise that we all do the same.

Thank you, aquasilver, I already copies half of my hubs.   Time to get cracking!

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78

It has nothing to do with religion. Scores are related to traffic and other factors.  There are many, many people who are not Christians who have low scores. It's got a lot to do with participation.

You really should learn what a hub score represents.

There is no persecution of people here just because they are Christians. Non-christians get attacked just as often. Disagreeing is not attacking.

But it is smart anyway to have a backup of your hubs for many reasons. But, when you get banned you still have access to your hubs.

3. Sawfishlagoon profile image61

I write in a word processing program (cut and paste) and have all of my stuff in files. If you have your copy only on a website - good luck with that.

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Dave was very rude at times. I went back to my questions to see if I could copy and paste one of his answers but I guess they deleted those also. He has directly name called in answers to my questions. Even though I have never just downed anyone on hubpages, my lack of belief in a god must have angered him when I first arrived in the answers section. I disliked his approach very much. I also have never heard of hubpages just deciding to ban someone out of nowhere. I am sure he was warned just like others. That being said I think that there are far worse people her in the forum section. It is very wrong if Hubpages did not allow him to get his work so he could take it with him.

OK, UW has explained it a bit better, (thanks UW)  and I am glad Dave would have been allowed access to his hubs, that would be my main concern, should I get ejected!.

As for Dave in the forums, well I've been banned three times, but never a total banning, and (frankly) my bans were justified in hindsight, as I had started getting 'heavy' with people, which can happen when you get too involved in a topic or disagreement with another hubber/s.

Time out is a good way to maintain order.

So thanks all, my fears are lessened, though I still think Dave should be told WHY, and (unless he does not want to say) he has said he has not been told why.

You are right peeples, there are some much worse than Dave was, indeed I remember him as being relatively decent, but like us all, inclined to react rather than respond on occasion! lol

Well to me, Dave was respectful and pleasant.    In fact, he was one of the most respectful and pleasant people to be around!     There are some people, not in the forums, who critique other hubbers, calling them names and attacking their parents.   They attacked a hubber, calling that hubber names and attacked the hubber's parents.   One was mentioned as one of the best hubbers.   Well, it shows how low class they are-they should be banned.   Dave  NEVER- what a complete gentleman!

4. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

I think he was banned mainly because a high percentage of his content was copy and paste stuff from the bible.

He presented large chunks of scripture with an unoriginal commentary that would have triggered plenty of spam warnings in any reasonable copyscape-type filters.

It is sad that he went after triumphantly announcing his one hundred thousandth view.

5. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

Well, despite the assumptions regarding the reason Dave was banned, only Dave actually knows as to why he was banned!    Nevertheless, I wish him good luck on his future endeavors!

6. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years ago

a) If one breaks hubpage rules, one will be banned, I suppose. It's called business. And HP owns the business. If someone is not good for their business, that person would probably be warned. I do know that when some of my hubs haven't followed rules, they have been removed and I have been notified to fix them up. This has generally sent me into panic stations while I fixed them up. That said, there is a rule that if too many of one's hubs are removed, then one will be banned. If he was copying large chunks from the bible as Will Apse has said, this may be a reason.

b) HP has no business telling anyone but the person they have banned, why s/he was banned. They are 100% percent legally and ethically correct in that.

c) Most people work in word and then copy and paste into HP. The reason is that one has to write and rewrite, edit and re-edit, and even so, what one eventually puts up (Murphy's law) has errors. I cannot imagine not having a copy of something I have written for the web. I do. Each file has the name of the site for which I write so that if anything ever happened, I could immediately access what I have written. I think Matt probably has as well. If not, I'm not quite sure why he wouldn't have worked in the normal way.

d) Unfortunately I cannot comment on whether he was rude or not as, for the most part, I tend to ignore religion...

7. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

If you value your HubPages account, you will play the game and not do anything to get banned!  When a Hub author gets permanently banned or decides to close the account, that's between the Hub author and HubPages ADM.  For the rest of us?  It's none of our friggen' business!

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Anyone who never saw him use personal insults wasn't looking very hard.  I like the guy well enough.  but if you ignore the rules even after temp bans, well....

9. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 11 years ago

I can't say I noticed any personal insults from Dave. And I'm sure he wasn't banned because his hubs weren't make HP any money. Mine have never made me a single penny; not that I've written one for a good 8 months, I don't have the time anymore.

Im sure he'll be back soon anyway under another name. It's what I would do.

I've noticed though in the last month a huge number of people are missing from this forum. Has HP done some kind of clear out?

10. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Banned, lost interest, disappointed, attacked by the black and white animals, hated by Google,  wasn't making the big money as planned, attitude adjustment needed, etc., etc., etc.  Didn't have any time--like you.  Take your pick!  One size fits all!  LOL!!!

11. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

I do not think ex-Hubbers have problems with moving their unpublished hubs. They just have to wait for them to clear from Google then they can add them to another site or to their own site or blogs.

12. tussin profile image57
    tussinposted 11 years ago

Dave Matthews was banned because he wrote a lot of incoherent biblical diatribes that were little more than personal opinion, copied and pasted huge portions of the Bible, and wrote in all-caps bold italics. Religious hubs and personal stories are fine, but he wasn't combining the two in a way that made for enlightening reading. There are plenty of other hubbers who manage to write interesting and thought-provoking articles about their personal religious beliefs and interpretations of scripture. Hubpages improved the quality of this site by deleting his account, which is better for everyone, so I don't see what all the crying is for.

I wish him luck placing these pieces on another site, because he's going to need it. What other site would want his badly formatted poorly written religious rants? His best option is to rewrite and edit his deleted articles and then post the revised articles on a blog.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)