On being a Christian: Do you have to convert non-Christians?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Mikio profile image70
    Mikioposted 11 years ago

Hello, Christians out there.  Do you feel it is your obligation to spread your religions to non Christians? Do you experience a conflict within you when someone talks about religious tolerance?

1. a49eracct profile image60
      a49eracctposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As Christians it our job to tell people about Jesus. We do not necessarily need to convert them. If that's what my testimony does for someone that's great! But it's not right for me to pester someone about becoming a Christian or begging them to come to church.

1. Mikio profile image70
        Mikioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  Well said.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Whether one feels it's an obligation or not, it is very disrespectful to those who didn't ask to hear about the religion. It would then show that by spreading the religion, one is only serving their own interests, which means that would be an act of selfishness.

Yes, there will be conflict, and in order to avoid the conflict, don't spread the religion.

2. Ms Dee profile image85
    Ms Deeposted 11 years ago

As a Christian, I don't see my faith as a religion, but a way to a loving relationship with God. If someone wants to know what gives me joy and hope then I will gladly share with them about my relationship with God the Creator and how anyone can have such a relationship. I don't have a perspective of wanting to spread a religion. However, if someone or a group of people does not have access to the information of how they can have a friendship relationship with God, I will gladly work to make it available for those who are interested. As for an inner conflict concerning religious tolerance, I resolve it by seeing it as acceptance of all people, regardless of their religious beliefs. I don't have to accept their religion for myself to accept and respect them as people and fellow humans.

1. Mikio profile image70

Beautifully said.  Thank you.  Do you ever get into an argument with the militant Christian Fundamentalist groups over this issue?

1. Ms Dee profile image85
        Ms Deeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You asked, "Do you ever get into an argument with the militant Christian Fundamentalist groups over this issue?"

Well, they try to argue with me, I've found. They may start it off by asking a question, and I try to give them a helpful answer. But then I find they are not really interested in a sincere answer and its merits--they are not really "knocking on the door" searching for how we can or cannot know the truth of it. When I see this happening, I bow out of the conversation. (Mat. 7:1-9)

1. a49eracct profile image60
          a49eracctposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really needed to see this. I've been getting so flustered when I offer the things I have learned, only to just be insulted afterwords. Thank you!

1. Ms Dee profile image85
            Ms Deeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey a49eracct, so glad it helped!

3. Saved by Jesus profile image57
    Saved by Jesusposted 11 years ago

No one can "convert" an unbeliever, except the Holy Spirit of God.   As a Christian, we are commanded to spread the Good News that Jesus died for our sins, rose again, and is seated at the right hand of God, interceding for our sins.  He died so we can live and not face the wrath of God when we die.  That's the Good News.   Now, only God can open a non believers heart so that they can be saved.  Only God can draw a person to Him and give him the desire to seek God.   He is the only One who can "convert".  No human can do it at all.

1. Mikio profile image70

Does this mean that you keep your mouth shut at all times when you run into non-Christians?  Or, what if this non-Christian is anti Christianity and says terrible things about Jesus?

4. AshtonFirefly profile image69
    AshtonFireflyposted 11 years ago

No, I don't really feel it is my obligation. If people want to believe it, they will. If I'm their inspiration, so be it.

1. Mikio profile image70

What an enlightened attitude!

5. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Just an Atheist's two cents here. Trying to convert us causes conflict just as it would cause conflict with you if we did the same. Having a conversation and sharing your beliefs is a good thing as long as you are talking to a decent person and don't mind that while they may enjoy hearing your views they will not change based on what you say. I enjoy learning more about Christians but at the same time I hold true to my own beliefs. Basiclly trying to convert a non believer would be a waste of time.

1. Mikio profile image70

beautifully said!  Thank you.  Can't agree with you more.

6. Precious Pearl profile image76
    Precious Pearlposted 11 years ago

No, I have to love them ... if someone comes to the Lord because of my testimony then I am happy, rejoicing but it is not my job to change their mind or convert them.  My only job is to share my testimony and the joy I have because of my relationship with Him.  It is His job to draw them to Him.  God gave us all a free will to choose ... I chose Him long after He chose me.

1. Mikio profile image70

Enlightened attitude, I think.  Thank you.

1. Precious Pearl profile image76
        Precious Pearlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome and thank you.  Thought provoking question.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)