Grammar question. Is it therefor or therefore?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Escobana profile image76
    Escobanaposted 12 years ago

I'm Dutch and every now and then I use Google translator. When reviewing my Hubs now and then I notice two different ways of writing the word, therefore.

I'm confused. The spell checker doens't recognize the difference or the error.

Anyone with the answer and why?

1. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I suspect that the  spelling as therefor comes up because it is used in some bible versions.  If you Google the most used 1000 words you will find that thou and thee are right up there - although nobody uses these outdated words any more in normal life.   Therefor is not incorrect, just out of date.

Escobanaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for explaining:-) I'll be using therefore, from now on.

2. Stories Inc. profile image65
      Stories Inc.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi! I'm Flemish and usually have similar problems.

Good to find someone else on here who speaks my mother tongue wink

Hi there!

Sometimes it's a little complicated but it's always a challenge to write quality content in a different language than your own.

Lucky for us, there is a forum to ask questions like these.
        Nice to meet you here!

3. profile image0
      Felai Cabahugposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry to bump into this "aged" post, but as far as I know, "therefor" means "for it." This is usually used in laws and some court decisions. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/therefor)

"Therefore" is therefore. smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Therefore.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
        lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol :-)

Thanks for laughing out loud for posting a serious question Lobo. After reading your profile information I understand why.
          I'm sure your attitude on the Need help? Ask here- forum, will be highly appreciated by anyone having grammar questions.

Have a lot more LOL on Hubpages.

1. profile image0
            Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You did right to ask, and don't worry about it. By asking, you are showing a good attitude that many people could learn from. Far too many Hubbers don't really care whether their writing is correct or not.

Thanks for the support Website Examiner!!! I'm a perfectionist and review my Hubs from time to time. That's when you notice small errors.

Sometimes your write too fast, sometimes you're tired and you don't concentrate enough.

To be selected as Hub of the Day, I also read how important it is to write perfectly well without any mistakes.

Thanks again!!! I'll keep on asking when I feel like it:-)

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
                Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good for you, we all need help and advice from time to time, in one way or another. That's how we continue to learn and perfect our craft. smile

Thanks so much Hollie!!! To learn from writing and reading is a beautiful gift:-)

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
                    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No problem, and for someone to write as well as you in a language other than their native tongue is a gift indeed. smile

2. lobobrandon profile image89

Hey Escobana I said lol because the question was already answered. Didn't lol you. Sorry if you misunderstood it.

I'm sure you know what lol means. The question being answered is a nice thing indeed. I don't really see the fun in it being answered if you just respond the way you did.

However I except the apology.

I was hunting for a question wherein I would be the first to answer. This was the closest I got so I laughed here (not at the question but at my luck :-D )
                Bye have a great  day

2. profile image0

"infortmative," you say on your profile page, then asking people to hire you?

That's why I was so surprised too! Lobobrandon at least can't be blamed for being too modest about himself.

An honest and well educated response of Lobobrandon would be highly appreciated though.

2. lobobrandon profile image89

Oops a silly mistake, I couldn't thank you'll enough for pointing it out. But I'll be changing my profile info soon. I'll be removing the hire me part - I love the hub pages community and would love be a hubber and nothing more. When time permits I'll do that.

Escobana: Like I already said i didn't mean to say lol in the way you took it to be. I'm not an expert - no one is!!. I just said it to say the question is answered and nothing more could be done from my side. But I wanted to show support by answering. Next time I won't say lol - ever!
            Really sorry about the little misunderstanding

1. profile image0

You are welcome. If someone hired you through HubPages, this would be great. Besides, having people contact you about assignments is another good way to interact with fellow Hubbers. Good luck, either way.

Thanks website examiner :-) I get loads of jobs at elance :-D

2. Escobana profile image76

By wanting to show some support (which I always appreciate) I would write something like....good question or anything else like that.

To lol about something really funny, I would lol back. I love a good joke.
              To lol about something serious like my question, without any more words, can only be interpreted in one way. Not misunderstood I say.

Now that I know you wanted to really support me, I say thanks:-) And thanks for your response as well. I would lol whenever you want to but in this case it didn't work out well.

Latina, proud and strong minded woman I am:-) They tend to get defensive sometimes. Again....apology accepted:-)

:-)

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

"Therefor" does exist as a legitimate word, albeit with a different meaning. Hence, it may not show up in spell check.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/therefor

Interesting. I'll have a look at the link. That's why spell check doesn't see the difference I guess. Both words exist.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)