Sin Confessions: Through a Priest or directly to God?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (149 posts)
  1. unknown spy profile image44
    unknown spyposted 12 years ago

Why do we need to confess our sins to a priest? Can't we do it directly to God? What's the difference?

1. mischeviousme profile image61
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because priests are ordained, God is not.

2. Greg Sereda profile image66
      Greg Seredaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's a matter of authority and control, if you ask me. I don't believe in confessing to a priest. Why should I confess my sins to someone who is himself a sinner and needs God's grace just as much as I do (sometimes even more)? I prefer to confess my sins to the sinless Savior - Jesus Christ.

1. profile image0
        Greatest I amposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How was your ticket to heaven purchased? With innocent blood?

Regards
        DL

3. profile image0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_qnsTr7I04

Martin Luther was becoming a Gnostic Christian and the recognition that things were all between each of us and God alone is part of what prompted Martin Luther to split the church.

Unfortunately, instead of going Gnostic, his followers went further into fantasy, miracles and magic.

Regards
      DL

4. jacharless profile image74
      jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting, someone mentioned this particular subject.
      The 800lb gorilla in the room is that word confess.
      There is no reason a person cannot vent their missteps to a priest or pastoral figure, a friend, stranger -and most certainly can go straight to the Source to express those things.

But, the word itself screams two sides: forgiveness and absolution.
      What is it to confess? It is to release from festering, to expel all at once; cliched: "to spill the beans". Confession then is a flooding out of words, like one would vomit out poison or excessive foods, alcohols from the stomach, like one would do with bile, to the point where the body is actually in a strange, almost surreal state. Anyone who has ever hugged the porcelain throne, understands this. A sense of relief, as the body trembles from the effect of that expulsion.

Given the nature of the human spirit, which I reference as ruach, it is words projected outward, that define confession. A forward action. An action that could have some form of consequence and certainly creates the aforementioned shock-mode, where the mind is put on hold, while the heart and body squeeze out every last drop of goop. The body drawing in a series of deep, new breathes, inflating the lungs and super-charging the blood with oxygen-nitrogen. Once the trembling settles down, there is a new sense of peace, relief and comfort, perhaps. A understanding that the worst is over. And although the feeling to vomit is still there, a real calmness takes over, forcing the body and mind to be still.

Confession, they say, brings a person to the point of salvation. That also corresponds to ruach. This point of saving is likened to the previous events of expulsion, renewal, recovery. It almost forces the individual to either harbor that fess or expel it in its entirety. Of course the mind says the risk is far too great and could have dangerous effects.

Confession either engulfs forgiveness, else imposes absolution. The latter says "Okay, no consequence. Don't worry, even if one drowns themselves with more poison, they'll be fine. They know the feeling now, how to handle it, police it and hide from any effect." Forgiveness, on the other hand, demands consequence, even if the imposition is completely dissolved. The consequence to excessive indulgence or festering can be many things from physical illness, to depression, to fear and borderline schizophrenia {deluge, delusion, demonic ides, paranoia}. The ultimate consequence, of course, being death. It is said the action of confession reverses this effect, essentially releasing death from the individuals complete being. Words are the power we possess, for good or not....

James.

5. Claire Evans profile image62
      Claire Evansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We don't.  It's unbiblical to think otherwise.  We confess our sins to Jesus only.

1. profile image0

That is really helpful to the one sinned against.
        You talking to an imaginary sky daddy.

Grow up.
        Ever hear of the word restitution?
        Sin is between you and your victim. God nor Jesus cannot be hurt by anything you do and they do not have the right to forgive in your stead.

Try thinking further than your dogma.

Regards
        DL

2. jacharless profile image74

And why, pray tell, to Jesus only?
        Who died and made him G/god?

1. Claire Evans profile image62

He wasn't made God; He is God incarnate. 

I don't know if there is any scripture that says one must pray to others but the Holy Spirit; Jesus and God being one.

1. jacharless profile image74

Straight to the point, there is no such thing as g/God incarnate. Never was, never will be. That is right out of paganism 101 and new age metaphysics/pseudoscience. The belief that g/Gods can come temporally in human form. Of course to understand why they came to those beliefs, humans need only return to the day they were created, for insight.

Y`shua himself said only to pray to the Creator, following Rule #1.
            Praying to Y`shua does not result in anything. Praying through his method -meaning pure heart/spirit-Spirit, directly to Creator- results in everything. Why folks mix that up is to deflect attention from the reality that they have zero connection to their Creator.

He is/was the 2nd Adam, a flesh-blood man, empowered as Adam was with the ruach which is the Spirit or anointing/power of Creator -the Breath.
            Should we pray to a power? No. Should we pray to a man? No. Should we pray to the Creator, yes. Certainly, he was a reflection of Creator, as is everyone who has that same Spirit-spirit in them.

So worshiping {an action of prayer, song, sacrifice} to him is not proper nor correct. Same as praying to angels, "saints", Mary or dead loved ones. Which ultimately concludes 99% of Christians are practicing pagans, idolaters. Explains why their prayers -and even the prayers of the non disbelieving are not being answered. Why the likes of Tony Robbins, and Secrets exist. Why the manifest kingdom is, well, not manifest and millions dieing for lack of understanding; why new and improved prophecies are being designed, fear theories, great destruction and more. Humans are sending out billions of vibrations {words, prayers, etc} per millisecond and that noise is killing them, the planet and any chance at a real relationship with Creator.

James.

Well, John 1:1-14 contradicts that. 

The Word Became Flesh

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.

6 There was a man sent from God whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. 8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.

9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God — 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

That is when He was earth.  He assumed the role of the Son and therefore He had to pray to God.  He couldn't very well pray to Himself.  As the risen Christ and Him being reunited with the Father in heaven, He is now the part of the Holy Spirit.

But is not God and Jesus one as the Holy Spirit? Prayer to Jesus is praying to God and praying to God is praying to Jesus.

Oh, didn't people worship Jesus on earth?

But when the chief priests and the teachers of the law saw the wonderful things he did and the children shouting in the temple area, "Hosanna to the Son of David," they were indignant. "Do you hear what these children are saying?" they asked him. "Yes," replied Jesus, "Have you never read, ‘From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise'" (Matthew 21:15, 16).

Matthew 28:17
              New International Version (NIV)
              17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted.

Is Jesus not worthy of worship for dying for our sins?

Praying to angels, saints, etc, is pagan, I agree.

Actually, it does not contradict. It has, however, been completely misread and misunderstood. The word, "word" is what is not correctly interpreted/understood. and since that one word is not, the entire thing is thrown off, and into spin-doctor-ville. Strangely enough, reminded someone of this today, regarding the Hebrew glyph vav {or waw}.

As for him being worthy to be worshiped. No, the entire point of his altruistic action was just for that reason, not to be worshiped. Even he said, all the credit and praise goes to his Father {Abba}, not himself.

Again, it proves more and more how truly disconnected or not-connected at all people are to the Creator. Better to make up sensations and equations, study books or pray to beings, to suppress or hide from that fact, just like Adam hid -or at least tried to...

"...having even seen the great works of God, done by his servant Moshe, who is a shadow of the Messenger, at the foot of the Holy Mountain, where the Spirit hovered, made idols, drank strongly and did act as pagans do..."

I do not see who John can be interpreted any way else.  It said the Word was God then it says the Word became flesh.  You did not explain exactly how this is wrong.

If Jesus and God are one as the Holy Spirit then how can you break them apart? They are interchangeable.  Jesus gave all the credit to the Lord but is know reunited with Him in one entity. 

Hebrews 1:6 says:

And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, "Let all God's angels worship him."

1. profile image0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AfFcAmx … ure=relmfu

This Bishop speaks of how Jesus evolved to be the work.
                    He also speaks of the perils of reading scriptures literally.

Regards
                    DL

2. jacharless profile image74

Um, yeah, angels are not humans. they were created to be messengers of creator and do whatever he designed them to do. So, if Creator said angels are to worship him, so be it. Never -not in any piece of script is any human commanded to worship Y`shua.

2. pennyofheaven profile image80
          pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol A few spring to mind.

6. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When we were kids every once in a month my mother accompanies us to the church and we confessed to the priest and I usually am confused and don't know what to say. I just say the usual, talk back to my parents, disrespectful etc. and every week that's all I have to confessed. I went to a Catholic school in high school and again we all confessed to an Irish school priest. Still, I always say the same usual sins. Some I invent because I don't know what to say. Now I don't confess anymore. I still am a Catholic but not practicing.

2. unknown spy profile image44
    unknown spyposted 12 years ago

Thanks, we also confess our sins directly to God. But sometimes, i would hear people say, Oh, its time for confession. Is it a rule for Catholics? Because other religions dont have confessions.

3. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

The Biblical justification for confession is an interpretation of Matthew 16.

The Catholic interpretation is that Jesus named Peter as head of the church (i.e. The first Pope), and at various times the "keys of the kingdom" passage has been taken literally to mean that the church itself determines what sins will be forgiven and therefore who goes where after death. This lead to problems of corruption, such as indulgences.

I don't believe it's truly the case that a priest must intercede between you and God, but as a recent Catholic convert I've found confession beneficial from a spiritual well-being standpoint. It's good to get an outside perspective and a person you can feel accountable to who isn't directly affected by your mistakes. I've felt a sense of absolution and received some very good advice that has helped me better myself through confession.

Most priests I've talked to have encouraged proactive "penance" that tackles the issues that led me to sin. The practice of "homework" penance (i.e. Say X Our Fathers and Y Hail Mary's) is largely obsolete.

1. unknown spy profile image44
      unknown spyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well, i guess, it depend on the belief of people. what they were comfortable of doing. I honor your opinion sir. Maybe people confess their sins to a priest when they needed help/advise on what to do. I don't have any experience though, we dont have confessions.

4. realtalk247 profile image76
    realtalk247posted 12 years ago

God. A priest is human. God knows and understands all, even the words that can't express my inner most feelings. No mediator needed. You can talk straight to God.

5. Ellana317 profile image69
    Ellana317posted 11 years ago

I think it's healthy to confess your sins to another person if you are just looking for an accountability partner.  The bible says in James 5:16... Confess your faults one to another and pray for one another they you may be healed. Now I would NOT suggest you confess your sins to anyone expecting for them to forgive you or make you right in God's sight.  That's what the blood of Jesus was shed for.  It was a remission for our sins.  Jesus came to mend the relationship between humanity and God that we might be able to go directly to him.  Priests make great friends and counselors...I'm sure but I say make your confessions made known to God among all others.

1. profile image0

You might remember as you try to make Jesus your beast of your burden that human sacrifice is immoral and so is trying to profit from God having his own son needlessly murdered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ott15j2 … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoHP-f-_F9U

Regards
      DL

6. grand old lady profile image83
    grand old ladyposted 11 years ago

As a former Catholic I remember as a child wishing I could be a priest so that I would know everybody's secrets. My experience in confession actually involved getting stuff like 3 Hail Marys and 4 Our Fathers, that sort of stuff.

Now, when I confess directly to God in Jesus name, I notice a feeling of grace afterwards, and the overall results are positive and lasting.

I don't want to criticize Catholics though, I think people relate to God in different ways, and I just found a way to relate to God which reaped heartfelt results in my personal experience, and so I have stayed by it.

1. profile image0

What of the victim of your sin?
      He/she is the one who has the right, or not, to forgive.
      Your good feeling FMPOV says that you just feel good because you have shirked your duty to your victim.
      He or she is the one you hurt. You cannot hurt a God.

Regards
      DL

1. grand old lady profile image83
        grand old ladyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi DL, sorry for replying so late. I watched all your videos and they are interesting and very good. I also have been reading the line of comments you've been making. I really don't know how to answer this question about the victim of my sin, because it involves a perception of things that would call for a whole hub.  The closest I can come to an answer is this link. This is a fellow who has a nice way of explaining faith and I hope you will enjoy reading his blog. The link is http://evandolive.com/2012/06/20/when-f … ot-enough/

Thanks,

Mona

1. profile image0

Faith without facts is for fools and has nothing to do with the issue.

I think it quite immoral for Jesus believers to try to profit from the murder of an innocent man.

Human sacrifice is immoral.

Regards
          DL

Dear DL,

Most often, we are victims of our own sin. We may be mad at someone, but we bear the consequence of our own anger.

You ideas for facts as basis for faith could make me doubt you have a skeletal framework, for example, even if this is studied in science. I can doubt because I haven't seen your skeletal framework. If you base faith only on what you see, you are acting on faith every day.

Regarding Jesus dying for our sins, past, present and future, it''s a gift offered to everyone and anyone is welcome to this gift of salvation. Human sacrifice is immoral and is still practiced today and even before jesus died. But Jesus chose to die for us. So from an immoral act, where Jesus was a victim of politics, he actually became stronger as he rose from the dead and saved many souls, too to have eternal life..

Receiving this gift is like when we feed our newborns the milk we give them. We are devastated if our child doesn't drink because it may indicate illness. We are thrilled when our child drinks because she will be healthy and enjoy a good quality of life.

Take care,

MOna

1. profile image0

So Jesus did an immoral act. I agree.
              And you will try to profit from that immorality.
              Nice Christian attitude.

Regards
              DL

Dear DL,

I think Christians, atheists, Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, Sikhs, and people of other faiths and/or philosophies share one thing in common -- we are not perfect.

If we were perfect, there would be no reason to believe in a higher power, or a particular philosophy. I think God understood those imperfections but didn't leave us in a situation where we harm others and ourselves by our sins. Jesus, being part God and part man reconciled the human experience with access to grace.

People are all in a process of growth, and of course, some of the worst evil people are leading some churches. Some of the worst people become Christians because they are tired of living as they have for so long. The process of growth and the journey that grows with it is not immediate, and will be full of mistakes, but the difference, again, only speaking from my personal experience, is that you are headed in a better direction that enhances the quality of your life and others benefit from this, too.

It's hard to isolate sin like saying, "I lied." More often, life follows patterns. So it's more likely not one lie, but a habit of lying. Or, to say "I gossiped" would more likely be having a tendency to gossip. So confession whether to a priest or to God directly in Jesus' name can't just involve one or five sins, but observing patterns of behavior that are hurtful both to yourself and others.

This is what happens when you receive Jesus into your life. The immorality I referred to before was his being a political victim. But it was his choice to die for us, and in this way, to empower all of us.

I would die for my child in a snap. I wouldn't consider that an immoral act, but something done out of love.

Take care,

Mona

1. profile image0

You would be right in that being moral. You will note that your God did the opposite.

And please stop your preaching for an immoral religion based on human sacrifice. You spread an immoral doctrine just so that you too can profit from God having his son needlessly murdered.

As a woman, you should read and view these.

It was God's plan from the beginning to have Adam and Eve eat the forbidden fruit. This can be demonstrated by the fact that the bible says that Jesus "was crucified from the foundations of the Earth," that is to say, God planned to crucify Jesus as atonement for sin before he even created human beings or God damned sin.

If God had not intended humans to sin from the beginning, why did he build into the Creation this "solution" for sin? Why create a solution for a problem you do not anticipate?

God knew that the moment he said "don't eat from that tree," the die was cast. The eating was inevitable. Eve was merely following the plan.

This then begs the question.

What kind of God would plan and execute the murder of his own son when there was absolutely no need to?

Only an insane God. That’s who.

The cornerstone of Christianity is human sacrifice, thus showing it‘s immorality.

One of Christianity's highest form of immorality is what they have done to women.
                  They have denied them equality and subjugated them to men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqN8EYII … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dspWh9g … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c0RFxXr … re=related

Regards
                  DL

So it was God's fault that the Pharisees wanted Jesus dead and Pontius Pilate put him to death? And since when is Jesus being crucified considered a human sacrifice? Human sacrifices entail people being killed to appease the gods.  How can God be appeased by Jesus being sacrificed and not even to Him?? 

That Genesis story isn't literal; in fact it's pagan.  What you don't take into consideration that in other dimensions there is no time?  In fact, time is actually a perception. Einstein postulates that the past, present, future happen simultaneously so there is no technically God seeing into the future that hasn't already happened. 

God obviously "saw" a problem when we got corrupted by evil beings and knew that we could never overcome sin on our own due to our human nature.  Read the Sumerian Texts on how humanity got genetically manipulated.

You are being dishonest now.  God did not plan and murder His own son.  He allowed  it to happen but He did not make anyone kill Jesus. 

They have denied them equality and subjugated them to men.

And so this automatically makes worshiping Jesus immoral?

2. grand old lady profile image83

Dear DL,

Sorry for the late reply. I saw your videos regarding what the Bible says about women, and they were interesting. I think, however, that these verses are reflective of the times in which they were written.

From the beginning, women were always persecuted, I think because from caveman times women were the weaker sex and what mattered most was survival of the fittest.

As civilizations evolved, women still were not treated equally, and it springs from that perception. Even today, women still have a long way to go in terms of equality.

However, you will note that those were Bible verses from the Old Testament. The New Testament came with the purpose of providing a new covenant. In the Old Testament man could be saved by works. In the New Testament, man is saved by faith.

In fact, while things were still not perfect in the Old Testament (nor are they today), there were certain ways by which women received justice through Jesus. First, recall the time when a woman was supposed to be stoned for adultery. The people brought the woman to Jesus, and Jesus said, "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

Today some cultures still stone women, but Christian cultures don't.

I would also like to point out Ephesians 5:21-28.  It says that we should submit to one another, and to God primarily. It also talks about how wives should submit to their husbands. I may be old fashioned, but I believe in that. It goes on to say in verse 28, "husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself."

What stands out here is, submission is not an excuse to suppress. Instead, the law has been revised and men are required to love their wives. In 1 Cor. 13: 4 onwards, you see what love involves. It calls for a lot more than submission.

Again, society continues to evolve, and what matters in Christianity are its fundamentals. First, to love. Jesus died for us as an act of love. I believe the trinity, so in essence God died for us in the form of his son Jesus. But he also rose from the dead.

The fundamentals of Christianity really involve a loving God, and the transforming power you get when you receive Jesus in your life, which helps you to become the person you were meant to be. The transformation happens gradually, but what is important is, it happens.

Take care,

Mona

2. manatita44 profile image72
            manatita44posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You seem to look for an opportunity to correct all others. It may lower the spirit of the hub. Lift up your heart, my friend. Send out more love, belief or no belief. Know for sure that you are affecting those who read your comments. Be a critic, sure, but add sweetness where you can. Much love.

1. profile image0

It is hard to often hard correct those who follow dogma without thinking about it and will try to use a scapegoat instead of stepping up themselve to their own responsibilities.

With children, tough love is often the only avenue for correction. I use whatever method that might work.

I have seen many use a loving approaches. Believers are just as intolerant of them as of myself.

Show anywhere wher a loving way worked and I can learn from it.

Regards
              DL

1. profile image0
                Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Since everyone on this is forum is simply sharing opinions, your first problem might be that you think you have something to teach and everyone is destined to agree with you. Your opinions are just that.

1. profile image0

Absolutely.
                  That is why I give facts and knowledge along with those opinions.

Like this for example that has both. See if you end in agreement or not.

It is my view that all literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are Religionists.
                  They all hurt their parent religions and everyone else who has a belief. They make us all into laughing stocks and should rethink their position. There is a Godhead but not the God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution. Belief in fantasy is evil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HKHaClU … playnext=1

They also do much harm to their own.

African witches and Jesus
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRG9gXr … re=related

Jesus Camp 1of 9
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBv8tv62yGM

Promoting death to Gays.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMw2Zg_B … re=related

For evil to grow my friends, all good people need do is nothing.
                  Fight them when you can. It is your duty to our fellow man.

Regards
                  DL

1. Bubba Jones profile image61
                    Bubba Jonesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do you really think anyone is going to follow those links? I know how to handle a fox. Don't chase it. Get it when it comes around for another chicken.

2. profile image0

Honestly, you need to stop adding so many links. I may want to read your post, but I'm not committing half the afternoon to do it.

Yes, I think you guys need to get the fundies and evangelical loud mouths in check and move toward a more measured approach. But, I don't see your approach as that one. You don't exhibit any less zeal that others hear and obey you than do the ones you just complained about.

Your opinion on a Godhead is your opinion.  You want to think it is better than their idea. OK by me, but they honestly don't have to agree with you. It's an opinion.

You are welcome to quote Edmund Burke in your attempt to galvanize me into jumping on your band wagon, but I think you are spending less time fighting evil than you are fighting against people who disagree with you. I'll tell you like I tell the fundies and evangelicals. They aren't one in the same.

2. manatita44 profile image72

Maybe so, GIA,
                But to see the negative we have to take them on board. They will eventually sit on our shoulders like dead elephants and weigh us down. Besides, this world is really a mirror. One says outwardly, what one is also inwardly. To change ourselves is infintely more useful than to change the world. A loving way that worked was that of the Christ. With all its negative sides, Christianity has produced many saints and helped millions. So has the Buddha's doctrine, Sufism, Yoga philosophy of Sri Krishna and others. The way of Mother Theresa has inspired hope and made millions more selfless. Look to the heart and not the mind, my dear brother.

1. profile image0

What is in a heart is expresses by the mind and mouth.

Those who follow a genocidal son murdering God are showing exactly what is in their hearts by their speech.

Jesus said we would know them by their deeds and their immoral deeds  of speech speak volumes.

I know what you are saying and when allowed to, I do curb my ways and speech to suit but lest you forget, I speak mostly to those who believe in fantasy, miracles and magic and who wait eagerly for their GOD TO RETURN TO GENOCIDE MANKIND ONCE AGAIN.

You be nice to such sick minds. I will try to cure them however I can.
                  I do not hate them but do hate their immorality. I hate to lose any potentially moral human mind.

Regards
                  DL

1. manatita44 profile image72

"I will try to cure them" That is the problem, GIA. Religion killed a great many saints and broke many slaves at the wheel because they believed they were right. I have no beef with anyone, just trying to reason here.
                    We cannot cure or change. This is God's job. If you do not like an employee, are you going to sack him? It is the Employers job. In the same way, this Creation is God's. We know what we have to do because God-men in plenty and many saints have died to show us the way. Being on your kind of crusade could lead to an unhappy life. Hope you are well. Keep well.

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Don't priests grant absolution? God never says a word...

1. profile image0

True. And priests think that God can be bribed. Read up on indulgences. The main reason Martin Luther created Protestantism.

He could no longer abide the church lying to their people for money.

Regards
      DL

8. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

Although I frown on the practice of confessing anything to a priest, mainly because of the obvious possibility of abuse of power; I think I understand why the practice could work.

I don't think it is healthy to keep things that trouble you secret. Especially when you feel you have wronged another. And, this belief that you just ask God for forgiveness and you are magically forgiven has serious drawbacks. In practice, a believer can harm others; either emotionally, spiritually or physically, again and again. Thinking it will all be ok either way...because God forgives them. Such an attitude stands in the way of finding true remorse, since you don't bother to 'leave the altar and resolve your differences with your brother'.  It's too easy to justify things in your mind and chalk it up as 'God's grace'.

I would think a priest would represent an impartial party. Someone who could help you understand how your actions might have fallen short of your mark and help you see the course necessary to resolve it.

Emile,

I understand the logic of that, the feeling that since you are forgiven you can get away with anything. But somehow it doesn't work out that way. As a Christian we define repentance as a change of ways, not simply as saying, "I'm sorry."

For some reason, in my experience I became closer to my conscience and its hard to explain in words, but that is the experience of many Christians. By God's grace, what I mean is, when I go to God about issues in my life, for example a disagreement with someone, somehow you end up with a feeling of peace and in due time, things fall into place.

1. profile image0

Fair enough. But, then comes the question...what of the other person? If you wronged them and became forgiven when you mentioned the incident to God, but you didn't reconcile with the individual, how does your forgiveness and grace received affect the balance? Changed ways don't always fix things.

There is more to your book than information on how to interact with God. Or how your actions affect God. Jesus' points involved caring about others and putting the relationship with your fellow man on an equal footing as your relationship with your God. This secret forgiveness appears to fly in the face of love for others. Since it does not involve reconciliation on the physical plane. The practice adversely affects the balance.

2. profile image0

E R.

Your heart is above the usuol believer's self-cetered one.

Keep it up.

Regards
      DL

9. grand old lady profile image83
    grand old ladyposted 11 years ago

Paradigmsearch, as a former Catholic, I think its true, the priest gives absolution. As a Christian, the teaching is that Jesus died for all our sins past, present and future.

Confessing to a priest is good in that you have someone to clear your mind with and to receive counsel from regarding issues in your life. In the Christian faith, you can seek counsel from the Pastor or a church leader.

Although as a Christian you know you are forgiven, you tend to really change your life and lifestyle because it sort of naturally follows. You sort of let go of old things that you used to enjoy, and start enjoying different things. It's hard to explain, it's just my experience. But I respect everyone's experience, whether Christian or Catholic, because I used to be a Catholic too and all my siblings are Catholics.

10. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 11 years ago

The only reason Catholic priests hear confession is because their to dull minded to come up with their own fantasies to"Pleasure"them selves to.
    It's rather telling that the first popes name was"Peter".That's when it all started.There are accounts of special rooms at seminary where perv...I mean priests in training can"purge"them selves of lascivious thoughts.

11. Smokes Angel profile image60
    Smokes Angelposted 11 years ago

A priest cannot forgive your sins!  Only God can do that.  Talking to someone about your guilt over sins is fine but they are not the ones who forgive you

1. profile image0

You mean all those who paid indulgences to the church were being lied to?

That makes the church quite the liar.

Regards
      DL

1. profile image0

Actually, since indulgences ended many moons ago past tense should have been used there. Not present tense.

Out of curiosity, do you think there is any power on earth that doesn't lie to those they control? Why would religious organizations be different from their secular counterparts? Why would religious people expect them to be different? I'm sure Catholics are painfully aware of the past mistakes of the church.

1. profile image0

Indulgences are alive and well every time they pass the basket in church.
          What do you think people are paying for if not salvation?

As to organizations lying, probably but your brush is too wide.
          As to religions lying, I find that most, other than the Abrahamic ones do not.
          They do not have to as most recognize that their religions are myths. Only the Abrahamic followers are too foolish to recognize that their religion is myth based as well.

Only Abrahamic based literalists are silly enough to believe in fantasy, miracles and magic.

Then again, they are not too bright or moral. They follow a genocidal son murderer and call that evil good.

Regards
          DL

1. profile image0

It appears as if you switch brushes at will, wide to narrow; as it suits your agenda. Far be it from me to take up the task of finding out what 'demons' dog you into such a prejudicial view.

I don't think it would be fair to claim that every tithe is considered an indulgence. Unless, you don't understand what the term means to the average protestant. I've never heard one say that their tithe absolves them of sin and is what makes them right with God, in their mind.

Organizations whose sole purpose is to govern people lie at times. That's an indisputable fact. Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something. Power corrupts.

Most religions don't lie? That is somewhat naive. Religion addresses cosmic questions.  Any claim to knowledge is couched in lies. That, too, is a fact. Religion is little more than one person's attempt to snooker another into placing them on a pedestal.

And, Abrahamic religions are the only ones who believe in miracles? Maybe they are the only ones who attribute miracles to a power outside of their own. I believe there is a guy in the east claiming he hasn't consumed food in thirty years. Ones who claim they can reach a meditative state so deep that they float. I suppose you consider  the claim that a voodoo magician can create zombies real? I could go on, but  almost every religion known to man believes in what others may classify as miracles.

As to your last statement. You garner little more than a roll

I would be curious of your opinion on one thing. Attempts to bait by comments that show a lack of intelligent thought display what, exactly....in your opinion? What does that say of character? Would that be a display of a deficiency in morals or ethics, in your opinion?

1. profile image0

Prove non-intelligent though or that it is a baited comment and we can discuss it.

Regards
              DL

1. profile image0

I don't need to prove the obvious. smile

You seem to be an intelligent individual.  Even if your comments do appear to be emotionally charged at times. I don't know what motivates anyone's hatred of the beliefs of others, but statements whose only purpose appears to be to showcase that hatred don't warrant me stooping to attempt to dissect them. I would think, as an intelligent individual, you'd tackle that job yourself.

1. profile image0

I am not motivated by hate but by my social conscience.

It is my view that all literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are Religionists.
                  They all hurt their parent religions and everyone else who has a belief. They make us all into laughing stocks and should rethink their position. There is a Godhead but not the God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution. Belief in fantasy is evil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HKHaClU … playnext=1

They also do much harm to their own.

African witches and Jesus
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRG9gXr … re=related

Jesus Camp 1of 9
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBv8tv62yGM

Promoting death to Gays.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMw2Zg_B … re=related

For evil to grow my friends, all good people need do is nothing.
                  Fight them when you can. It is your duty to our fellow man.

Or are you one of the evil ones?

Regards
                  DL

1. profile image0

Oh, for goodness sake. Am I one of the evil ones because I raise an eyebrow at your illogical sensibilities? Please explain how you are any different from a fundamentalist with that question.

There is a Godhead according to you, just not the one you consider to be a silly one? What makes you think you know that? How are you right, and they are wrong?

As long as you approach the subject from an angle of belittling any who don't hold your view, you are nothing more than a mirror image of the view that apparently offends you.

12. profile image0
    Greatest I amposted 11 years ago

I found an interesting clip of what Martin Luther thought of confession albeit in an indirect way. He was still a Catholic at that time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_qnsTr7I04

Regards
    DL

13. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

Emile...you sit rather well on a high horse of your own! Not considering anything prior to the last couple of statements. In my own experience, christians tend to know little about the real teachings of Jesus. I will give you a for instance; Jesus said that God is always with us, that God never leaves us...so...how can he return if he never left? This is not a contradiction...it is their expectation that God will return...because they choose not to believe that he never left. It is their choice to believe a deception...a self deception. They, have clearly been set up; by Jesus himself.

1. profile image0

I agree. I can come off haughty. However, I don't claim cosmic knowledge, relationships with unseen beings and I don't think I have a leg up morally over the next person. I'm just a natural *ss.

I would probably agree with you on many points on interpretation of the teachings of Jesus, but that is simply because it fits comfortably with the type of person I am, what I consider to be the most beneficial way for humans to interact and what I see as the least number of contradictions when attempting to hammer out a cosmic view. Which, by the way, doesn't make us right. It simply means we would agree on a few points. How can you prove you aren't deceiving yourself?

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You only need to confess to a priest if God can't hear well in your body.

1. profile image0

I think you need to confess to someone else if you can't honestly evaluate how your actions affect others and don't have the strength to take the steps necessary to reconcile with others or the ability to sincerely empathize. A relationship with 'God' to me is achieved,  for the most part, by deep and honest reflection. Forgiving yourself for missteps, but doing everything in your power to rectify and correct them; and also to learn from them.

I assume God is ultimately the core of good in all of us.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
            Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Eloquent.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jesus was speaking of the Holy Spirit-

How do Christians feel "set up" again?

Back to OP ,if you sin against another person ,then seek forgiveness from them,if you sin against God then seek forgiveness from Him.

Therefore to seek forgiveness from a Priest or an ordained  Minister has no relevance to me.

Maybe I am wrong,but so far I believe it to be right for me, and that is how God will judge me- on my knowledge and motive of my heart smile

14. classicalgeek profile image82
    classicalgeekposted 11 years ago

I can speak only from the perspective of an Eastern Orthodox Christian; I've never been to a Roman Catholic church except as a spectator. In the Orthodox church, we do not confess our sins to the priest. We confess our sins to God in the presence of the priest. In addition to hearing the confession, the priest guides us to things we may have overlooked or be denying (as in a deeper sin that we are not aware of). If it's a one-time thing and not grievous (getting angry at someone who cuts you off in traffic and almost causes you to have a wreck) then enough is said. If the sin is part of a recurring pattern (and again, we may be blind to those patterns) then the priest offers help and advice, and sometimes a lot of sympathy if we are feeling alone in our struggle. We don't have penance, per se, but we do have the entire Church (expectant and militant) to be accountable to, and the priest helps us keep those accounts (did we actually make the restitution we took upon ourselves? did we try to overcome our propensity for that particular sin?).

Again, the priest does not give absolution; instead, the priest covers our heads with part of his garments which are set aside for prayer, and the priest then prays for our absolution. I find confession absolutely useful in transforming myself to become more like God.

15. profile image0
    Greatest I amposted 11 years ago

Jesus forgiving sin is unjust to Victim.

Sin, by it’s very nature must have a victim. Without a victim, there is no sin.

The one sinned against has the first right of forgiveness.

If Jesus usurps that right then I think it would be unjust.

Closure is being denied the victim thus victimizing is twofold.

Jesus would not condone such a thing.

Secular law now demands a victim assessment report before sentence is given.

To think that Jesus would ignore this requirement is unthinkable.

This means that, “Why have you forsaken me? “, is answered by God with; because what you do is immoral. You deny the victim her or his rights. It is also unjust to punish the innocent instead of the guilty. In fact, that notion is insane.

In the scenario shown here the victim is ignored thus showing the flaw in the judge’s ruling, if he accepts substitutionary atonement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqP_f...eature=related

Regards
    DL

Jesus forgives those who truly repent and those who truly repent would most certainly make reparation with the sinned against if it is possible.  It is not always possible to seek forgiveness from the wrong because one can repent years later and the victim long gone. 

Jesus did not wait for the people nailing Him to the cross in order for them to forgive them.

1. profile image0

If you forgive someone that has wronged you, the deed is forgiven and there is no need for Jesus to forgive. Right?

Or does a debt have to be paid for twice?

Christianity is Jewish based. They forgave each other as it should be and did not worry about some flying sugar daddy for forgiveness.

It is to the victim to forgive first. Not some God usurping your right. God cannot be hurt in any way. You can.

Regards
        DL

Sometimes people forgive others even when the wrong-doer is still in the wrong.  They may drop any grudge for peace sake.  They may forgive with sin attached to the one they forgive but Jesus cannot forgive unless there is true repentance. 

You do not know God if you think He cannot be hurt in any way.  If He are made in His image, then how come we get hurt? A loving God gets hurt just like you have done now to scorn Him.

1. profile image0

Yes people forgive. It is a cleansing action and quite healthy. That is why it is our right to gain those benefits and closure and not the right of some God who does not need healing and closure.

"You do not know God if you think He cannot be hurt in any way."

You do not know your all powerful God if you think he can be hurt.

In that court room clip where the guilty is set free; try to imagine yourself as the victim of rape in that case and wonder how you would feel the next day when you bump into your rapist on the street. Do you think that justice was done as you shrink away from him?

Why would you think it good to punish the innocent instead of the guilty?
            The only thing that would make you think that stupidly is your desire to ride your scapegoat Jesus into heaven. That is self-serving to the max my dear and quite immoral.

Please think of the victims as well as the innocent victim that must die if we were to follow such an immoral policy.

If you can get past your prejudices, this clip is rather well thought out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-91mSkxaXs

Regards
            DL

If one sins again another, one sins against God, too.  God has taken on the pain of the world so any pain another goes through, so does He.

You do not know where love comes from.

As I said, God only forgives those who truly repent.  A repentant rapist would accept his punishment and not expect to be released into the public. 

Do you know what hell one has to go through to get to a stage of true repentance? To know you have hurt someone so badly?

What you think is immoral is not necessarily so.  You have just missed the boat completely.

1. profile image0

And you have eaten up all the B S that people have said about God and have many opinions but no knowleggde.

Prove that an all-powerful God can be hurt in any way by us.
                You cannot and neither can anyone else.
                All you have is a need to profit from the death of an innocent sacrificial man and if you do not see how immoral trying to profit from human sacrifice is then ----------. I am sure you are a better person than the morals you mouth thanks to your dog shit dogma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDbesQQi9yc

You have formed piss poor morals out of a fantasy.
                It is never good to punish the innocent and not the guilty.

You should read this following and please think of your morals.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/100472

Regards
                DL

Was Jesus not hurt? After all, besides being the son of God, He was God incarnate, too.

Jesus willingly sacrificed Himself for us.  He could have saved Himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDbesQQi9yc

Well, no one said that is the case.

1. profile image0

If he could save himself and did not, then his is a poor example of law for us.
                    To preach that the innocent should be punished for the guilty is insane.
                    Live with that if you choose to but be ready to go to hell for it. It is completely immoral.

Regards
                    DL

16. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 11 years ago

Confess only to Jesus who is God. He is the only one who can remove them from you.

1. profile image0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VsN3IG1HtQ

The bible says you are lying.

2 Peter 3:9
      The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Does that say confess or repent?

What does the following tell you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztDgyOKej1k

Regards
      DL

17. Druid Dude profile image60

Wouldn't it be a lot less aggressive if you said someone was 'mistaken' instead of saying they are 'lying'? Isn't it possible that they believe they are speaking true? I find you offensive.

1. profile image0

When one makes a definitive statement of an opinion and not knowledge, it is a lie.

Regards
      DL

18. Druid Dude profile image60

Misled. But when one speaks what one believes to be true, then it is truth to them. If one setes out to purposefully deceive...then that is a lie. I believe the commentator was saying something that he/she believes to be true, and, I will agree that they are misled to belieive it, but I don't think they are purposely setting out to deceive. Thou art a harsh judge...you should resign.

1. profile image0

I will consider your words.

I do not like political correctness though.

Regards
      DL

19. pennyofheaven profile image80
    pennyofheavenposted 11 years ago

Good luck jacharless.

I don't know if I should say "Thank You." or "Oh bugger."

big_smile

1. pennyofheaven profile image80

Haha... I will let you decide that if Claire decides to engage in a dialogue with you.

20. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years ago

Anything against your conscience
    you could confess to yourself- a person you offended
    a confidante: priest, counselor, etc.

I agree there is a need to say sorry to make amends to grow and try to be a better human smile

For me it's often enough to talk to God. Often I just tell the person I hurt or tell myself whom I may have hurt. It depends on what you need to do to feel at peace.

I find with priests lately.....I'm not so comfortalbe so I confess to God in my own words. I don't want priests who don't care about their job, dismissing me with an attitude which happened recently
    or getting off on my sins, I think they're only human and I don't think they need to ask "was it intercourse or not"

1. profile image0

You might find this interesting be you a Catholic or Protestant.
      Martin Luther was so sick of the Catholic Church, with good reason that he basically turned into a Gnostic Christian like myself.
      Unfortunately, most of his followers screwed up badly and started to read scriptures literally and screwed up many of the morals that were originally in scriptures. Now most literalists have poor morals and many literalist Catholics fare no better.

Regards
      DL

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
        schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

DL,
        yeah I know.
        Thanks though.

21. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

I confess with my own words directly to God in a church when I think I have something to confess, which is very seldom. I´m still a catholic but not a church goer. I prefer to pray everywhere because I know God is everywhere not just in the church.

It's positive to think we have little sins to commit; as in that some of the "rules" are ridiculous.
      But we all fall short, or rather we all offend daily-as for me- by thoughts, words, deeds like saying anything off could be considered a minor thing we could confess just to keep a positive wave for ourself

1. profile image0

We have no choice but to sin.
        Sin , in a sense, is quite good or God would not have invented them.

Christians are always trying to absolve God of moral culpability in the fall by whipping out their favorite "free will!", or “ it’s all man’s fault”.

That is "God gave us free will and it was our free willed choices that caused our fall. Hence God is not blameworthy."

But this simply avoids God's culpability as the author of Human Nature. Free will is only the ability to choose. It is not an explanation why anyone would want to choose "A" or "B" (bad or good action). An explanation for why Eve would even have the nature of "being vulnerable to being easily swayed by a serpent" and "desiring to eat a forbidden fruit" must lie in the nature God gave Eve in the first place. Hence God is culpable for deliberately making humans with a nature-inclined-to-fall, and "free will" means nothing as a response to this problem.

If all sin by nature then, the sin nature is dominant. If not, we would have at least some who would not sin.

Having said the above for the God that I do not believe in, I am a Gnostic Christian naturalist, let me tell you that evil is all human generated. Evil is our responsibility.

Much has been written to explain what I see as a natural part of evolution.

Consider.
        First, let us eliminate what some see as evil. Natural disasters. These are unthinking occurrences and are neither good nor evil. There is no intent to do evil even as victims are created.

Evil then is only human to human.
        As evolving creatures, all we ever do, and ever can do, is compete or cooperate.
        Cooperation we would see as good as there are no victims created. Competition would be seen as evil as it creates a victim. We all are either cooperating, doing good, or competing, doing evil at all times.

Without us doing some of both, we would likely go extinct.

This, to me, explains why there is evil in the world quite well.

Be you a believer in nature, evolution or God, we should all see that what Christians see as something to blame, evil, we should see that what we have, competition, deserves a huge thanks for being available to us. Wherever it came from. God or nature.

There is no conflict between nature and God on this issue. This is how things are and should be. We all must do what some will think is evil as we compete and create losers to this competition.

Regards
        DL

hey DL,
          That was long but,
          I was mainly saying that we all are aware of ourselves and our actions. And we should be on top of it.

it's true. we all fall short and it's a daily thing to be a moral person. everyone deals with it.
          that's what I meant. smile

2. profile image0

T A
      That is the way but remember that God is also within you.
      Jesus said that your body is the temple of God and my Gnostic Christian apotheosis says that that is truth. No proof of course as there never is in such cases.

Regards
      DL

22. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 11 years ago

Since NO Priest, has the power to forgive sin why bother discussing your sins with one?

1. profile image0

Exactly. No one speaks for God.
      Men are the only ones who ever have when they invented him.

Regards
      DL

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

Idk, doesn't it say in the bible"whose sins you are forgive they are forgiven them, whose sins you shall retain they are retained." (Jesus speaking to his apostles.)
      So that means as in being priests, followers of Christ, they were given the power to forgive sins (as Christ, not as them, but as a representative of Christ- Christ does the forgiving, they merely preform the act of prayer)
      So.....yeah. The priest basically asks about sins so he can tell you how much pennace you should say. What do you think of that?

1. pennyofheaven profile image80

I doubt that, that passage gave permission for priests to forgive sins. It seemed to be directed more at the individual and makes much more sense. If you forgive someone for a perceived wrong, you are free they are free.

If you do not forgive it stays within you festering until it becomes something that it was not originally.

1. profile image0

Exactly.
          We all should seek closure and that closure is yours not some imaginary God's who cannot possibly be hurt by anything that man can do.

Be you a sinner or victim, all deserve closure and that is man to man, not invisible absentee God to man.

Regards
          DL

2. profile image0

schoolgirlforreal

Have you seen God's list of penances.
        Neither has any priest.

Regards
        DL

23. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 11 years ago

It helps.

The priest acts as a catalyst to bring out your inner sorrows and helps you with inner healing. I do not suggest that you talk about bad things, but recognise the need for forgiveness, purity, dispassion obedience to God, and so forth. Frankly, even if your prayer was to a tree, you will get help. It just requires an intensity of faith. Our Lord is inside your heart and already knows your needs. Prayer brings you closer, assuages guilt, and enhances transformation through the Soul's Light.

Bear in mind, that you are invoking God, and that all healing takes place from within. The Supreme is your Inner Pilot.

1. profile image0

Praying is the most self-serving think a person can do.
      Praying assumes that we have God's ear.
      Aren't those who pray special? They have God's ear.

Quite the delusion that.

Regards
      DL

24. Bubba Jones profile image61
    Bubba Jonesposted 11 years ago

I don't confess to nobody. The Lord knows what I been up to and Jesus paid the price. I put him on that cross because of my sin. I figure he can read my mind, and if I done something bad, feel guilty, and quit my sinning, then the Lord is good with that.

1. profile image0

Humility and public self-flogging is a great form of self-aggrandisement.

Repent sinner and stop trying to profit from God's murder of his innocent son.

Jesus asked you to pick up your cross and follow him. Not ride him as your personal beast of burden and scapegoat.

Regards
      DL

25. Virtuous1 profile image60
    Virtuous1posted 11 years ago

why would anyone go to a mere man to confess their sins when Jesus is the only person who can take sins away...Man did not die on a cross for you. Jesus died on a Cross for your sins..

1. profile image0

And you feel quite comfortable in trying to profit from God having his son needlessly murdered do you?

The one you sinned against is the one to ask forgiveness from. Not someone you cannot possibly hurt unless your head is so swollen that you think you can hurt God.

If you punish your child in error, do you ask his forgiveness or God's?
      Whose forgiveness is more important?

Regards
      DL

26. Saved by Jesus profile image58
    Saved by Jesusposted 11 years ago

I would never confess my sins to a priest, unless I had directly sinned against him and wanted to ask his forgiveness.  What on earth can the priest do?  Your sin would still be unconfessed to God?   Jesus died for our sins, and HE became the High Priest....the Mediator between God and man.  That means that the old levitical priesthood is no longer valid or useful because Jesus is right there in Heaven, interceding for our sins.  He is alive!  I am so thankful that because of this, I can go straight to God, get on my knees, and confess my daily sins to Him (and yes, we ALL sin every single day) and know that I am forgiven.

1. profile image0

Let me repeat.
      DL And you feel quite comfortable in trying to profit from God having his son needlessly murdered do you?

The one you sinned against is the one to ask forgiveness from. Not someone you cannot possibly hurt unless your head is so swollen that you think you can hurt God.

Human sacrifice is immorals and so is taking advantage of an innocent man being punish for you.

You may think Jesus saved your soul but you have sold it to Satan.
      Watch what God does to you when you try to ride your scapegoat into heaven.

Regards
      DL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)