What can anyone do when they run out of unemployment benefits?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (54 posts)
  1. Eugene Hardy profile image60
    Eugene Hardyposted 11 years ago

Specifically, you have run out of benefits and you still can not find a job?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I had to withdraw some money from my RRSPs which were for my retirement.

2. undermyhat profile image61
      undermyhatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I had never signed up with a temp agency until until being unemployed for over 6 months and knew I was going to be in trouble soon.

I cut all of my expences to the bare bone - I relied on the library, starbucks, a couple of local pizza places for wifi.  I even sat out in my car and used their wifi because the signal carried that far and I couldn't afford to eat in the restaurant.  I cut my groceries all the way down to very basic things plus shopping at Aldi for anything fancy.  I cashed out an insurance policy and my 401k.  I was given a no pay back loan from family.

It got lean.

I have signed up with all the temp agencies in this area and I have not gotten a single job or call back, even though I passed all their tests with flying colors. I think when you are past 50 it gets so much harder to find a new job or even a temp job if you don't have exactly the experience they are looking for.

So, I turn to freelancing...

I think if things do not improve in a year I do have family that would help me out, but I'm hoping to at least pay my basic bills by this time next year through freelancing. Or find a new job, I do keep looking...

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
          Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've run into the same problems that you have, Uninvited Writer, with age discrimination. I am 62 and have both experience and excellent references.

I applied for 45 jobs, all of which I was well qualified for. Every time I saw another applicant, I was always the older one. I didn't get any of the jobs.

I have now given that avenue up and am using extreme budgeting, writing and buy and selling to make ends meet. Oh, and sometimes I also use duct tape and a little string.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Accept help from working children or other relatives?? Apply for food stamps or work fare.

4. jacharless profile image74
      jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Liquidate : you would be surprised at the volume of cash you can accumulate by liquidating everything from jewelry to furnishing, electronics to books and such.
      Downsize : reduce usage of products, energy, resources, living space.
      Reinvest : use the intake from downsizing and liquidation to invest or reinvest in a cash opportunity else a cash-equity opportunity. {Web Ads are actually equity investments of sorts, because essentially there is nearly 100% risk to earnings ratio}
      Educate : use the extra time to develop a new skill which can be applied to a future opportunity.
      Phone Some Friends. If 10 friends gave or lent you 200, you could implore the above and open a business or take on part-time work while completing the new skill set.
      Just breathe.

James

Eugene Hardyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, that is exactly what we did.

401k - Gone.
        IRA - Gone.

What I have left is a desk and two elderly computers.

But I'm not really worried. 

I've decided sometime ago to use every strategy I can come up with to generate cash online through my poetry.

I'll let you know how that turns out in six months.

5. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can apply for public assistance.   However, they will find you a job which you have to take in order to continue receiving your public assistance benefits.    Even if the job is what you deem to be beneath you, distasteful and otherwise yuk, either you take the job in question or it is goodbye benefits!

1. udontnomi profile image58
        udontnomiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here is wisdom. No job is beneath you, "If you don't work, you don't eat."

6. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Since this never happened to me.   My abovementioned post was only in the worst case scenario.    If that was me,   I would scour the internet as there are massive job opportunities there.    I would also network with others at job fairs like C-R-A-Z-Y!   Just do not sit back, do, do, do!    My response is that if  YOU want a JOB bad enough, you will find it!     

As I have stated before, if you apply for public assistance, THEY will find a job for you and you HAVE to take the job if you want to continue receiving public assistance.   THERE IS NO FREE RIDE!   Adulthood means taking responsbility and paying the piper!

In these precarious socioeconomic times, ONE HAS TO MAKE OPPORTUNITY.   One just cannot be passive regarding job searches, one must be a quite PROACTIVE PARTICIPATOR  regarding the job searching scene.  No pity parties here!   Either you are THERE IN THE GAME or you will be NO WHERE!

1. No clue

2. Please.

3. Sure, right.

4. Go for it! There are aluminum cans all over the side of the road.

5. It's a dog eat dog world out there.

2. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 11 years ago

There are always ways to make money no matter where you are in the world. You are already using hubpages, with the right amount of effort you can make significant amounts of money here as well as many other sites. IF YOU WORK AT IT!

I have not had a traditional job now for 2 years earning everything I need online. But I have to treat this like a real job and put in the hours. If I don't work I don't eat!

There are so many ways you can make some extra money from starting a business selling other peoples "junk" on ebay to freelancing your writing or other skills.

Don't sit around looking for people to give you money get out and earn it!

YOU even have a hub about using micro businesses as an answer! take your own advice!!!

Well, do you honestly think I'm sitting around?

It's about knowing all my options and listening to other peoples' wisdom.

Thank you for yours!

3. bn9900 profile image72
    bn9900posted 11 years ago

That was my situation exactly.  My benefits ran out and I was at a loss I started doing surveys online, and while it won't pay the rent (thank god my wife worked full time) it made ends meet. Check out my hub on the topic. The sites I've listed are ones I use and I have made over $600 since the beginning of the year.

4. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

I mean this in the nicest way possible...

But one thing you could do is stop paying for internet, and sell your computer. I know that I pay about 75 dollars per month on internet, and if I were unemployed, I wouldn't pay for it and I wouldn't be on it. Also, I would sell my computer for a few hundred bucks.

Take a look at the stuff you own or pay for and ask yourself if it's a neccesity. I had an unemployed friend, with children unfortunately, and much of her brand name clothing, electronics, etc, all to save money. And she certainly didn't pay for internet.

1. Greekgeek profile image77
      Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The internet is too useful for job searches, research, and making money to give up. There are many other things one can and should sell first.

One can give up cable, eat ramen and do all sorts of things before you give up the tool that's going to earn you a living!

It is not that hard to create enough hubs or lenses to pay for one's internet connection. That's the first thing my webpages started covering back in 2007. (And within a year, they'd earned me enough for a new computer.)

Supporting oneself through internet work is difficult, but it can certainly help you with an extra $200-500 a month while looking for work!

Eugene, supporting yourself online with poetry is VERY difficult, and I confess I'm a little concerned to see one in financial straits taking that approach. Most web users aren't searching for poetry. Those who read poems don't often click on ads. Instead, may I suggest spending a week studying what DOES earn web traffic and money. I realize there's a lot of fly by night advice out there, and even with  the best advice it takes work, effort, and luck, but I'm concerned you're starting at a disadvantage.

My own strategy is to consider what I know, love, and use that people are searching the web for, and then I write on those things. I review products I actually use. I create useful resources for people to download (this works better on Squidoo, where pages that get lots of clicks earn a better payout.) I create products on Zazzle as well using my own photos and cartoons. My goal is to have a fishing net of webpages and passive income sources covering my basic expenses so that I can afford to take time off and write poetry and fiction for fun. I'm almost there.

The most important part of earning a living online is learning how to craft webpages that draw visitors, who may click ads or buy things on those pages. If you're only relying on ad revenue, visitors are even more important. That's where SEO -- search engine optimization, learning what brings search traffic -- comes in. If that sounds alien and jargonish, Google "SEO is poetry." SEO is really using the power of language, which is something poets do, too.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Right now, I make enough from writing to pay about half of my bills for the month, hoping to be full time in a year.

I need my computer to make money so Internet and a computer are a necessity... I was amazed how little I got by on last year.

1. undermyhat profile image61

That is very cool!! Congratulations. I hope you are able to make it grow even more.  Maybe when you finally land that job, passive income from the internet will really help.  Have you considered writing an e-book and see what you can get through Amazon's program?

Every human being is a perfectly unique individual and so, some where, hidden in that treasure of the individual is a story that is all yours to tell.  It will never be the same as another's nor told in a way that anyone else can tell it.  The challenge is finding the story.

I actually have one ebook for sale and I'm working on several ideas for others. I have sold one copy of my ebook smile But it was just a bunch of articles I'd written previously, the ones I am working on are completely unique. In the meantime, I write for several content sites and providers.

Perhaps, once you are working again you could generate a tutorial on online paid writing.  There are ideas just floating about waiting to be captured.

6. profile image0
    Matthew Kirkposted 11 years ago

Apologies for my innocence but how can you run out of benefits? Can you only claim an unemployment benefit for a short period of time in your country?

I'm sure in most countries it's limited. I got 9 months. In Canada at least it depends on how long you worked at your last place and I imagine how often you have gotten unemployment benefits (which they actually call Employment Insurance here)

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In the US, you get benefits for a limited time only also.

2. profile image0
        Matthew Kirkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good lord that is harsh. I mean in the UK we get it as long as we don't have a job. The problem there is that some people do abuse the system and there is an underclass of benefit thieves that I doubt exist in the US or Canada. But this is a minority. Everyone is entitled to claim it, its called 'job seekers allowance' you have to sign the register every 2 weeks to check that you aren't also working (it is also social taboo to work and claim benefits for most people) and after 13 weeks you have to attend a course and there are various other courses and eventually they will start you off in work trials and the cycle continues for years and years for people who really struggle, couldn't imagine what would happen to many of my friends etc if it wasn't there as a fall back.

Also note the benefit is around £240.00 (about $375.00) per month and you get additional housing and council tax support worth about £450.00 per month. Its not much at all but it means nobody needs to go homeless.

People with kids get aaaalot more! In fact for some people it is almost worth having a kid just to get the benefits, another social taboo,  but it happens quite a lot in deprived areas.

Not sure which system is better, probably something in the middle...

Never underestimate the value of the harsh disincentive to compel one to develop character and a work ethic.

1. profile image0

Generally the people who abuse the system would turn to crime if the cut off / harsh incentive was there, so maybe lesser of 2 evils? Believe me, most people on it want to work and are trying, it isn't a generous amount, but it doesn't have a limit.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Deleted

1. profile image0

Its a little bit more generous then than most here, but not much. And you are allowed to work 15 hours per week or something similar.

Do you have a problem with benefits thieves as we call them or is that generally not an issue? What if you have kids?

Sure, there are always people who will try and cheat the system. But, like in the UK it is the minority.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64

A small minority. I've worked in the field for 10 years and have encountered very few UC claimants who would not prefer to be working full time.

1. profile image0

I think there are probably a few more here. I work in recruitment and today as an example one of our labourers who we got started yesterday called to ask if he was working mondays; he is working that day so he told us that he wouldn't be able to do mondays from now on because he has to sign on, on that day... signing on being claiming the benefit for the week (whilst he was working for us). This happens on a regular basis; however nobody I know personally does this and the media and general social feeling is to stigmatise and treat these people like outcasts. When this happens we do sometimes call the jobcentre and the consequence is that they loose their benefit, we didn't do it today, though I would have every time.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
              Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is not correct, Matthew. Many people claimed WTC when working for 16 hours per week. Now however, they need to work 25 hours plus per week in order to claim in work benefits. People claiming JSA are only allowed to earn £5 per week and claim out of work benefits. Anything above and beyond will be deducted from their benefits.

I suspect the company that you work for, quite happily permits people who claim benefits to work for them on the side. Think about that, they do not have to pay their share of national insurance, nor do they have to insure, for the purposes of health and safety, their employees. Perhaps you should report report your employer, every time.

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
          Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How on earth have you calculated HB to equate to that amount? It varies from region to region and whether you reside in social or private housing.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64

26 weeks is the norm. In Michigan Governor "Slick Rick" Snyder signed a bill reducing maximum regular benefits to 20 weeks. Benefits may be extended during periods of high unemployment. Benefits have been extended a couple of times in Michigan and other states where unemployment has been high.

3. undermyhat profile image61

There are many conditions that determine length of unemployment benefit as well as amount.  Several years ago, during my most protracted period of unemployment it took me 6 months to find a job and I was approaching the end of my benefits.

1. profile image0

What happens if you end your benefit without one? Are you literally on the streets?

4. Eugene Hardy profile image60

Yes.

At best, you can get up to almost a year, and that depends on the percentage of unemployment in a given state.  There was emergency unemployment benefits, but I believe my state stopped paying that out.

5. udontnomi profile image58

Yeah, it's not like England. You can't sit home and blitz the forums on HubPages all day, on the dole, forever. We have to get up and get going. Thus the saying, "Eat my dust!"

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Has it all. "Sales Pitch" and links at http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/101526

8. bill yon profile image72
    bill yonposted 11 years ago

I was in this position three years ago. The only real choice you have is to find a way to make cash right now.Take WHATEVER job you can find and start your own business. I took the first job I could find which was being a prep/dishwasher. From there I sold my car and bought a Ford f150 and starting scrapping and moving people around my city. I bought a buffer and started doing floor work, stripping and waxing floors and I dibble, dabble online. This has turned out for the best for me because I work parttime now at the restaraunt and business is picking up which means pretty soon I will be exiting the workforce and become self employed. Things happen for a reason, I find myself getting excited about my business because I am finally making enough money to pay my bills under MY OWN POWER. Somedays I work very long hours and somedays I do not have to work at all. I am currently working on an ebook which will be finished by the end of this year and right now I have designed a line of my own TEE-SHIRTS which I will start placing in all the local stores that except consignment. Whatever you do do not sit around and do nothing, take action as time goes by you may not even need a job. Remember  this IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT THE POLTICIANS SAY ABOUT THE ECONOMY. The old economy is dead and will not return so people will have to take there financial destiny in their OWN hands if they want to be survive in this day and age. That is the cold hard truth.

9. profile image0
    Matthew Kirkposted 11 years ago

Basically you should develop whatever ways you can think of to make money in a self employed way (seems to be the vibe).

However, do not stop searching for traditional employment! Sign up with every employment agency! Call centres and the like will take anyone who can use a phone and computer, especially if its for a large company like a bank or something. Cleaners are always in demand, as are catering staff! You will be able to get work in those areas, agencies will take you on with minimum screening for things like that!

10. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

For those who know what Lifeline Phone is, Lifeline Internet is coming soon.

http://www.cheapinternet.com/low-income … e-internet

1. jacharless profile image74

! You Live ! Glad to see ya buddy.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

Only until tomorrow. TimeWarnerCable has instructed me to bring them their modem back then.

But my extermination will only be temporary. big_smile

There seem to be lots of options out there.

I have a name for you . . . Micky D. Blazing wifi, $1 + tax meal.

Go green.

Ride a bike.

11. udontnomi profile image58
    udontnomiposted 11 years ago

Write on HubPages?

12. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

All very good suggestions! What a creative and helpful bunch hubbers are. Notwithstanding this is posted in the POLITICS and SOCIAL ISSUES section, you are getting true non-partisan advice!
    So nice to see that!!

Only a couple of other suggestions to offer. Not very unique.
    1. Check with the unemployment office. They may have job listings and/or be able to hook you up with job retraining. Worth a shot!
    2. Scour Craigslist and other help wanted sites for job ideas. You may never have considered or even known about some opportunities!
    3. Register with ONLINE job marketplaces. They offfer a different pay structure than Hub Pages. More like temp agencies but the gigs are all over the world.
    Lots of jobs on oDesk (one I use regularly). I'm registered with some others like Freelancer.com and Demand Studios but have not used them.
    I know others here write content for a variety of sites.
    But it doesn't have to be writing.
    Lots of OTHER types of jobs online, too!
    GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!
    MM

Good luck.

1. jacharless profile image74

Nods.
      And don't forget Thumbtack.

13. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

How long do you get Welfare there?

In Australia you can be on unemployment as long as you want as long as you apply for a certain number of jobs a week, and attend an occasional training course.

26 weeks in Florida, then, find another state. Michigan is like Australia, though.

I live in Michigan and our employment is good enough that they can't collect that long anymore. I think ours is 26 weeks now too. It never was forever, but some could collect up to two years when it was really bad.

That is becoming the norm. Good! I am an American. I will make my own job!!

Actually, your statement had me worried that all these unemployed people would move to Michigan. Employment is better than it was, but still isn't great.  We've got enough problems without unemployed people moving here. Otherwise, I wouldn't have corrected it.

14. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

In this case, Eugene, you have to find a job.    Writing poetry is fine but it is not going to make you a liveable wage right now.   It is time to concentrate on the immediate.    You have to find a job.   It does not matter WHAT and WHICH job.   Any job will do until you get tided over.    It is obvious you can type, so start applying for temporary agencies.   You can use the internet to look for typing opportunities.   What is your job experience?    Maybe you can tutor children.   There are so many opportunities out there, one just have to look for them!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)