The "Death" of paradigmsearch...

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (60 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Well, folks. Looks like this is finally it. So, I figure I might as well have fun with it.

I do not joke about things like death of a loved one or blindness or other medical problems. All of which I have dealt with or am dealing with.

This is much simpler. Economics.

This is fun. big_smile

(It should be noted that I have a wide perspective.)

My internet connection is gone as of Friday (8/3); unless some major windfall comes from my trying to sell (selling?) all my stuff actually happens.

So...

What do you do when your back is against the wall and...

2. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

You go to the library and sign up for a computer!

paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

YES!

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

What else?

1. Jenn-Anne profile image74
      Jenn-Anneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No specific advice other than stay encouraged and be sure to write a hub about the experience!  Also, I agree about using the computers at the library - would hate for you to disappear on us altogether!

4. tamron profile image69
    tamronposted 11 years ago

Have you called your Internet service and asked for an extend the time for you to pay or down graded your service or called around to get cheaper service?

This is what I would do I would call around first and find out how much other Internet service is Example:  Lets say Your paying $89 a mnth. now and another service is only charging $39.59.  Call your service and tell them how sorry you are that you will be dropping there service because you can't afford them anymore.

Then slip in and say that you called another service that is only$39.59 for the same features they have.  They will either match that or for a little more they will add a feature.

5. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 11 years ago

Buy a VERY cheap laptop on ebay, look carefully and you may be able to pick one up for literally a couple of bucks.. Then you can go sit in a coffee shop or similar and surf and of course write without the distraction of the internet at home.

I refuse to delete "sparkle".

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

I'm just happy the toilet flushed...

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

Do I explain cleaning up,,,

4. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

Shelve the hubs for today and write letters to all of these places where you fit the criteria for assistance.(link below)

http://help-paying-bills-rent-medical-u … dpage.com/

Go to you local library and ask for a copy of the employment grants directory (or the US equivalent)
      Write a detailed letter, explaining why you need some financial assistance to keep your internet business afloat. Write to as many as possible.

Good luck.

5. Hollie Thomas profile image60

Oh. Do another search for financial assistance for single men, single men over whatever age, single men with health problems, single men living in the ....area, retired programmers? (worth a shot) X-forces?, relations of X-forces, etc, etc,

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Single men in the creative professions.

6. CASE1WORKER profile image62
      CASE1WORKERposted 11 years ago

If you read PD's profie it tells why he is in so much trouble- apparently his social security does not kick in til september. There is a link to donate by Pay pal- maybe we need to examine our hearts as well as as our bank balances-  It is easy to do the process

I know and I already have. Just trying to offer PD some other ways to generate a bit more money-even if it's only a short term loan to get him through to September.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

Thank you, CASE1WORKER.

7. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 11 years ago

paradigmsearch, so sorry to hear of your troubles, but try and hang in there and check out all the suggestions made.  I don't know how it works in the States, but can't the Social Security give you some kind of emergency payment?

It's such a short time to September, that I hope that you can generate enough to keep you going, as you would be sorely missed here at HP if you went offline.

8. paradigmsearch profile image60

Thank you, guys...

You know who you are...

9. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

I am in similar circumstances, I get by through offering Internet services to local business' in return for access to the Internet for personal use.  I maintain websites, blogs, FB pages, etc..

Just a thought  smile  Many small business owners are completely computer illiterate.  By performing these small responsibilities, my self education takes grand leaps as well!  Before I started this, I had no idea how to upload a photo to a site!

I've actually got a lead in that regard.

10. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXby_sLtfVEsgGg19UYY9nzbdmXhewcDIXQwviQxYzwN6b5sy5

You are in my thoughts paradigmsearch, I wish you the best of luck, may good fortune shine on you, you deserve it!

Thanks.

Ya know....

If just 300 people donated $5 each, paradigmsearch would get to live...

big_smile

299. smile I'm glad you've got a lead, but try other things, too. I once, such a long time ago- Yawn, worked with people in really bad situations. If you do the research, specific research, you'd be amazed at the help you might receive. Every little helps, at the moment all I have is a little. But you're welcome to it. smile

Somehow, somewhere, some way, there is a hug in your future. big_smile

PDS, I just want you to get through this....and you will. Felt the hug and giving one back. big_smile

I'm starting to perk up here...

5 donations received. You know who you are. A deep, heartfelt thank you.

Now keep that bloody donate button on. You wont receive anything if people can't donate.smile

Removal of the Paypal donate button will be one of my last official acts. big_smile

11. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 11 years ago

Well, I sent some money but the donation doesn't show up in my account. I hope you got it.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ok. It went through now. It shows my daughter-in-law's name and address (Ashley), but it is me.

Thank you, Barbara. It arrived safely. I am beginning to find all this amazing... smile

12. paradigmsearch profile image60

These forums sure do slow down at night now. I miss the good old days...

13. paradigmsearch profile image60

And another day stumbles to a close...

14. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 11 years ago

paradigmsearch,
      I am also experiencing financial issues, and I've been surprised that if you call the provider, they are willing to work with you rather than lose you as a customer. My husband got a big cut in pay, and I do not work because of chronic health issues, but sometimes when I feel good I can work P/T, so don't collect disability. One credit card company worked with me to the point where I only have to pay $15.00 US a month, and this will make it so I won't get a late fee. This is important, because late fees can go as high as $35.00 or so. Also, credit cards raise the rate of interest they charge if you aren't paying, and by paying this $15.00, it keeps the rate low. That never made sense to me, if you already can't pay, how do they expect you to pay a higher fee or interest rate? So it really is a good deal for now, it makes it so I won't owe more and keep getting hit with fees. Many companies will work with you. I hope you find a way. Just talk it out and you may find people are nicer than you think.

I've been getting the very basic cable and the very basic internet for $65.07 total a month from the beloved entity known as Time Warner Cable.

I just got my latest bill from them.  They raised my rates. They now want $121.60 a month for the same very basic crappy service. I kid you not. They are now attempting to charge me approx $25 for broadcast, $43 for basic cable, $53 for standard internet, and around $4 in monthly fees.

In as much as I was disconnecting from them anyway, I actually find the whole thing humorous.

I will take your advice and see what they have to say for themselves when I make the disconnect call this Friday before the new rates kick in. I'm not too hopeful though... big_smile

The most like scenario is that my TV days are gone for the foreseeable future. However, in the event that I don't actually end up homeless, I'm busily scrounging around for a new internet provider.

Don't know how it works in the US, but many internet and cable providers offer specific deals if you sign up through comparison sites like moneysupermarket.com or go compare. I was paying a fortune with my three for internet service and out of interest I went to a gocompare website. I signed up with talk talk, and for just under 18 pounds a month I get unlimited downloads, free Uk evening and weekend calls, and several mobile phone numbers which I don't have to pay for. Also, I didn't have a BT line I had a virgin one, so had to have BT landline installed. It should have cost £50 but as part of the deal I received free installation. It's worth trying to find the deals for cheaper provision, even if it's only for 12 months.

I got your email. I will be poking those websites you mentioned with a stick. big_smile

Good, and I've got more if you don't get any joy. smile

2. Aficionada profile image80
          Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We have been without TV for the past eight years or so, and I hardly miss it. I get news from radio and from the Internet, often much more quickly than from TV. Any shows that are worth watching are available through Hulu or other similar sources (later, I'll admit) or on a DVD.

I'm not trying to claim any superiority for the TV-free life, but just letting you know that it doesn't have to be a great big deal.  But I do hope the other issues get worked out for you.

I strongly suspect that my productivity in life is about to undergo a significant increase. big_smile

15. knolyourself profile image61
      knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

My provider was going to raise my rates similarly. I reduced my Mbps
      (megabits per second) from twelve to three to maintain the same monthly charge.

http://deepspace.jpl.nasa.gov/dsn/images/album/dsn21.jpg
        I built it from a kit.

16. Dame Scribe profile image56
      Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

Oh no, PDS yikes we can't lose another. You must stay or least return. Can you ask friends for same micro loans amount? offer pay them back or do something in return.

I pretty much exhausted all avenues prior to my doing my begging-fest here. big_smile

Whatever happens, happens.

17. paradigmsearch profile image60

I just discovered another donation. You know who you are. Thank you. smile smile smile

18. paradigmsearch profile image60

Well, folks. Still plodding along...

Spent the day getting one problem fixed.

Busily working on the others.

19. paradigmsearch profile image60

Feeling optimistic.

Hoping to get 2 or possibly 3 major things done/solved today.

Donations have stopped, so whether or not I retain internet access, my pathetic beggar button will be coming down from my profile within around 24 hours.

Again, a sincere thank you to all who have helped.

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why are you going to take the donation button down?  Leave it up as you may still get donations rolling in?  You can still access the internet in the library/friend's computers/internet cafe if the worst comes to the worst, and all the people who visit your profile will still get to see it and donate?

Come on hubbers, get behind paradigmsearch and keep him online!!!

Thank you, CMHypno. But any longer, and I might as well become a panhandler in front of your local supermarket. We all know how popular supermarket panhandlers are... Spunky comes down early tomorrow morning, HP time.

One way or another, I will survive. smile

And I will be back. smile

1. CMHypno profile image83
            CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are doing more than surviving and you are not going anywhere!  smile

Today will be an interesting day...

Lots and lots of people have donate buttons on their blog. This is completely different from those who stand outside supermarkets asking for money. Your blog is a great resource for those who wish to obtain free information. They can donate if they want or not. Put the button up, PDS!! smile

You and CMHypno are right. I'll leave the button on my blog and the link to the button on my profile. But I'm going to change that lame, pathetic plea I've currently got there sometime today before extermination.

Good and it wasn't a pathetic plea. Lots of people encounter financial problems through no fault of their own. smile

I just got online confirmation from Social Security that they are NOT going to give me my money until AFTER it is too late to stop the eviction. I need to somehow come up with a month's rent ASAP.

20. Hollie Thomas profile image60

Ah, PDS, that's a really nice thought and thank you. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)