Parents kill daughter to save their honor

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)
  1. jpcmc profile image88
    jpcmcposted 11 years ago

I read a news article about a couple killing their daughter for honor's sake.  It's just stupid!  I don't know if it's the culture or just these two demented people taking the life of their own daughter. 

Would you even contemplate on doing such a thing?

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/pakistani-pare … 40909.html

1. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@jpcms its social evil ...honor killing is seen in old civilizations and in some part of India , large parts of pakistan , middle east it is culture...

1. jpcmc profile image88
        jpcmcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's sad that this happens. I don't want to sound insensitive to other cultures but I find this to be morally wrong.

@jpcmc it is...there r laws in India against it...in pakistan too some laws r at place, dont know about laws in muslim countries though.. but still such things happen...this happened in uk by pakistani parents...

2. QudsiaP1 profile image61
      QudsiaP1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

jpcmc, it gravely shames me to have read about these parents who deserved to have perhaps never have the blessing of children. So by the logic of so called 'honour killing' since their act brings shame upon the universe maybe they should be 'honour killed' too. Instead they get a miserly 25 year sentence? What justice is that?

Honour killing is not a culture and has nothing to do with the norms of any religion. The idea is based completely on the idiotic notion of men in patriarchal societies where they put all blame for everything wrong in the world upon the very existence of women.

IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY!

There should be a psychological test that should be taken before giving birth which should allow us to know if people truly deserve to be parents.   

Hypocrites... Hypocrites I tell you! How can someone kill their own flesh and blood and for WHOSE honour? Theirs? Their pathetic societies? Their pathetic cavemen thought process brings shame upon me and anyone else who is of rational mind!

1. jpcmc profile image88

I know what you mean.  i was so furious when I was reading this.  How can any parent murder his own child?!

A psych test would be nice.  smile

2. Athena Clara profile image59
    Athena Claraposted 11 years ago

I read that article as well.  What some people do... *smh*

3. GiblinGirl profile image71
    GiblinGirlposted 11 years ago

What a heartbreaking story.  I don't see how killing your child can restore your honor.

@giblin this is typical idiotic way of thinking that these people have...in some places of India , most of pakistan and old societies it is compulsory for woman to marry with man her parents choose and  that too in same faith and same caste...if girl marries or does something other than that or is having bfs etc , they feel their honor is getting hurt...and what they do is to take care of so called honor they kill their own child...how stupid can one be...

1. jpcmc profile image88

Killing your own child brings shame as well.  QudsiaP1 said it right, perhaps they should be killed to save the family's honor as well.

4. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 11 years ago

I have heard this story in the news for several years now. It has taken years to get a conviction. This is a very big problem for girls growing up in western countries but coming from strongly 'eastern' cultural based families. The thing that gets to me is that if I visit a strongly islamic state I have to follow their laws, so no booze and possibly having to wear a burka or whatever the law requires, yet when they move to a western country they don't want to be held to the laws of the land (including it being illegal to force any one into marriage). I try to be sensitive to other cultures and love variety of cultures but find you have to draw a line somewhere and frankly anything that crosses the line into abuse of another is where I draw that line.

1. jpcmc profile image88

I do my best to respect other people's cultural norms and beliefs.  But killing your own child is not one I can tolerate.

5. Xenonlit profile image59
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

They are murderers, pure and simple.

If they are too stupid or mentally ill to realize that before they kill their loved one, then they will not be as stupid when they come to realize that they will spend most of their lives paying for their crime.

I have no sympathy for such murderous evil.

1. jpcmc profile image88

It's really sad that there are people who believe in ths.  Reprimand the child, or do something else...but killing is not a solution.

6. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

It is beyond me why these "people" are in jail instead of the ground.  They forfeited their right to life the day they teamed together and killed their daughter for the "crime" of wanting to be a part of the world around her.

This wasn't about their honor - it was about their control over their belongings.  Meaning Shafilea.

They murdered Shafilea in the dead of night, so to speak.  They hid the remains so no one would know.  They denied doing it, lying about it.  These are not the actions of someone regaining lost honor; people must know what they have done for that to happen. 

This was the action of animals in human form that lost their control over another human and exercised the ultimate in control - murder.

It may be common throughout the world for children to be treated as the personal belongings of their parents - they are small, they are weak, and they are indoctrinated their entire lifetimes towards that goal.  It doesn't make it right, however, and slaveowners like these do not have the right to live in civilized society.

1. jpcmc profile image88

True if the murder was done to save their honor why hide the facts?  they should take responsibility.  They are no different from other killers out there.

7. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

When you look at the kinds of environments where honor killings persist- the badlands of Northern Pakistan, the near wastelands of Central Asia you realize that one misstep can mean whole families perishing. Arranged marriage is one of the cornerstones of life.

Things were not so different in Europe until recently. Marriage was often a survival issue. Parents chose the husband or wife that gave their children the best chance of having their own families.The penalties for disobeying were pretty severe. Rejection by the family could mean starvation or a short life in a brothel or as a thief.

Cultural practices don't disappear quickly so even when families emigrate from these incredibly bleak environments they take these ways of organizing life with them. And in some cases honor killings are part of that.

Depressing...

1. jpcmc profile image88

Such a sad world...sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)