Favourite video games

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (41 posts)
  1. ChrisSnil profile image61
    ChrisSnilposted 15 years ago

As someone who has a penchant for retro-gaming, I'm curious to know of people's all-time favourite games, as well as those classics they remember from when they were growing up with games.

So, out of the consoles and games that you grew up with, do you have a particular favourite from when you were growing up? smile

1. TrinaLynne profile image70
      TrinaLynneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mortal Kombat, Tekken, and Centipede....lol

2. profile image0
    AngryITChickposted 15 years ago

Hmmm growing up?  Mortal Kombat on Sega Gen, Mario Kart on N64 and into my late childhood I was addicted to Jet Moto three on PS1

3. britneydavidson profile image61
    britneydavidsonposted 15 years ago

i think wii fit is the best one...it is simply amazing ....

4. Junkster profile image61
    Junksterposted 15 years ago

I'd like to go with the first game I ever played:
    Jordan Mechner's Prince of Persia.

It was on my first PC, when I was around 9 or 10.  Unlike kids today I didn't have a console to put the game in and see it start up.  I had to learn dos prompts, and run the game myself big_smile

I think my dad got the game off someone in work on a floppy disk haha.  The first game I bought was The Secret of Monkey Island, I even bought a sound blaster sound card for some ace MIDI music in games!

But yeah, prince of persia was ace, and it had a 60 minute time limit to complete the game! haha

My mate over the road had an Amiga, and we used to play Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry.
    That was particularly funny as we used to have to ask his older cousin to answer the proof of age quesitons which were all america-specific anyway.

1. WHoArtNow profile image81
      WHoArtNowposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That was (and still is) one of the best games ever made! I loved swinger across the gaps trying to get under the doors before they shut. Still loved that you couldn't save mid game, meant you had to start all over again if you messed up!

I was also a massive Monkey Islands fan.

Anyone remember Sam and Max and Day of the tenticle? Loved them too.

1. Junkster profile image61
        Junksterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think I have all Lucasarts and Sierra point n' click adventure titles out there big_smile  Love them all, I think I could cane through Day of The Tentacle in under a few hours lol  but yeah, best games ever made.  I even bought the new Sam and Max games on Steam but they just didn't feel the same anymore sad

Grim Fandango is another that I love, probably the funniest and best story in a game ever.

Also on the Prince of Persia thing I used to love little things like his little scream when he fell down  along drop, made me laugh as a child.  Also you knew you were far into the game when the fat guards with like six hearts turned up!  I bought a remake of the original on the Playstation3 too!

5. Julie-Ann Amos profile image64
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years ago

BALDUR'S GATE!  and Vampire: Masquerade.

1. profile image0
      AngryITChickposted 15 years agoin reply to this

*Gasp*  I forgot about masquerade, good choice

1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image64
        Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I just wish the followup game was possible to get working as V:M was my fave!

2. TimFischer profile image62
      TimFischerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

BG is prob my favorite RPG too! Pretty much any Bioware RPG is good in my book.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I loved Ms PacMan, Galaga, Joust...

7. Bruce Bostwick profile image70
    Bruce Bostwickposted 15 years ago

That's a tough question.  It's hard to name just one game honestly looking back at it all.  I had a few like Mega Man 4, Super Mario Bros., Demon Attack (Atari 2600), Mega Man 2, Legend of Zelda.  There's just too many to name honestly.

8. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

Mario Kart... Pod racing...no idea why, tongue lol

9. babsi profile image59
    babsiposted 15 years ago

i dont really play any games but im looking forward to learn!!

10. TravelMonkey profile image59
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

Grand Theft Auto

1. brad4l profile image71
      brad4lposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That reminds me, I need to get GTA 4 for PC. I completely forgot about it and it looks like it has been out for months now...

I got it on Steam as it was 25% off but it's far too resource hungry. sad

I'm sticking with the PS3 version, even though the framerate has been dropping when there's a lot of mayhem going on sometimes big_smile

I can't understand why someone would say that in a favorite video game forum tongue

11. BeatsMe profile image54
    BeatsMeposted 15 years ago

Uhhh. Did you say games? Try reading this hub, maybe you'd like this game
    http://hubpages.com/hub/WordZap-Computer-Game big_smile

12. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

I cannot understand why anybody would ever want to play a video game.  (Sorry!)

1. profile image0
      Wadey101mposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Just one of those things, you either do or you don't. Has been mainly a man thing from the offset, am not being sexist. But recent technology by Nintendo are getting the girls more interested. All I can say is that it is a huge market, the revenue brought in by game sales is higher than that of CD's and DVD's.

13. TravelMonkey profile image59
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

GTA online is far better than I could have imagined. Couldn't get around why I was being kicked by most of the members though lol

14. r2punks profile image60
    r2punksposted 15 years ago

Retro: Landstalker - RPG treasure hunting with a fairy to aid you  (Sega Game)
    Classic: Metal Gear Solid - The first one was amazing, so is the whole series actually.

Totally, best series ever

15. profile image0
    Wadey101mposted 15 years ago

I must admit I'm surprised no ones said Half Life, an absolute classic, Including all the add ons, counterstrike, Half life 2, portal, team fortress......just superb!

I mean what's not to like about a geeky orange-suited scientist running around splattering head crabs!!

16. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years ago

I used to have this service called "Sega Channel." It was a cartridge that the cable company came out and hooked to your cable line. When you put the cartridge in the Genesis and turned it on it booted up to fifty games a month..they rotated them out, but you could play any game you wanted for as long as you wanted.

Consequently...there was TONS of great games on the Genesis.

My favorites:

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    Vectorman (1 AND 2)
    Comix Zone
    The Oooze
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Pirates! Gold
    Aerobiz Supersonic
    Shadowrun (<--best RPG EVER! Zelda will never touch it.)
    Toe Jam and Earl (1 or 2, I like the second better..its a completely different game)
    And let us not forget...
    Skitchin' and Road Rash 3!

Hope this helps. I enjoy these games...I own them all and still play my Genesis nearly nightly. wink

G|M

17. ChrisSnil profile image61
    ChrisSnilposted 14 years ago

Some excellent responses here guys, some of which brought back happy memories of my early days of owning a games console smile

18. Junkster profile image61
    Junksterposted 14 years ago

I have been playing Police Quest recently, last time I played it? probably 1990 at my mate's house on his amiga 500 (?).

Old school sierra text adventure, he used the joystick to move people around/drive the squad car and I manned the keyboard.  That was an ace memory from my childhood big_smile

19. profile image48
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Red Alert on the Pc, jeeez I played that game to death

20. WeddingConsultant profile image66
    WeddingConsultantposted 14 years ago

Some of my favorite video games:

Old school Nintendo games:
    Super Mario
    Zelda (the gold game cartridge!)

Old School N64 games:
    Smash Brothers
    007 Goldeneye

Real Time and turn based strategy games for computer:
    LOTR BFME II
    LOTR BFME II Witch
    All the Command and Conquer RTS games
    The Civilization series
    Starcraft (i'm excited about starcraft 2 coming soon)

Shooters:
    Counter-Strike (half life add on)

There are probably more, but those are the main ones that come to mind as my favorites.

21. Kid_A profile image59
    Kid_Aposted 14 years ago

My favourite games growing up were:

ToeJam and Earl was a classic, the best two player game ever, FACT!
    Sensible Soccer
    California games
    Super Mario Kart (I was a a Sega loyalist but this has to be the greatest game of all time!)
    Alex the Kid (never completed this game, not sure if it is even possible!)
    Grand Theft Auto
    Pro Evo

22. jardois profile image58
    jardoisposted 14 years ago

I prefer PC games. I play WoW and i love Oblivion and Gothic RPGs.

23. PaulaShaftoe profile image59
    PaulaShaftoeposted 14 years ago

Galaga was my absolute favorite growing up, but I played a lot of pinball too. Does it date me that I paid money to play Pong? :-)

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
      GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Give it up, will you...I know that's you, Ralph Baer. wink

(I kid, I kid...)

G|M

24. The Misty Rose profile image60
    The Misty Roseposted 14 years ago

I love the Final Fantasy Series, All the Wii games, Mortal Kombat, and Dead or Alive.

I really enjoyed Mario Brothers too!

As for classics....Pacman was my fave!  I also really liked Pitfall and Donkey Kong.

25. Eternal Evolution profile image70
    Eternal Evolutionposted 14 years ago

The game i have always loved was on the super NES, it was primal rage.

26. k@ri profile image85
    k@riposted 14 years ago

I had some system probably a Sega back in 1987 or 88.  It had a great shooting game you played wearing 3D glasses.  Space ships would come at you out of the TV.  I can't remember the name, but I loved that game.

Later I had a PC, it needed DOS to play games...I loved Mega Race!

NES-Of course, Donkey Kong!
    N64-This is where I really got hooked, Zelda, Occarina of Time
    (I have the GameCube version now, and can still play it on the Wii)
    PlayStation-Megaman 1& 2 (still have them, still play them,  Digimon 1 (Still have, still play) Harvest Moon (SHSP) About 6 years ago, I went on-line and bought a bunch of copies of these because my kids leave them out and ruin them. LOL

Since then it's been Final Fantasy (all), Harvest Moon (all), Fable, Halo 1&2, Katamari, silly game, but I have them all big_smile

Looks like I got a little carried away!  I guess I just love to play!  If I hadn't found HubPages, I would probably be playing now!

27. profile image0
    Wadey101mposted 14 years ago

Woa! I discovered Peggle. And I'm now hooked. Been out for a while now, and just recently come out on the iphone, and it's mega!

28. Zeta Sfico profile image60
    Zeta Sficoposted 14 years ago

diablo and metal gear solid. those are the best.

29. ANDR01D profile image74
    ANDR01Dposted 14 years ago

I like a lot of the "violent" FPS games from the nineties, like Wolf 3D, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, etc.

I like the Metal Gear series' story a lot though.

30. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 14 years ago

Galaga

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)