Who wants the new HP profile? Get it here.

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (98 posts)
  1. Melch-i-zedek profile image59
    Melch-i-zedekposted 11 years ago

I already have it. big_smile You can have it too.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure I'm going to like the new profile page sad

Melch-i-zedekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hope you will like it, Izzy. And if there are specific changes you would like to see made, suggest them to the Hub team now, cuz sooner or later everyone will have it. smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

I take it you are staff, under your own username.

I have no idea about what suggestions to make to staff, at this moment, but I am assuming these changes are being made for a reason.

Guess I'm just going to have to trust staff to have got it right. In fact, it is their site, not mine! So, it is entirely up to them.

I can't complain - they made this platform powerful, which it is still is, despite my own Google slap, which by the way, happened exactly one year ago today.

I have other subdomains which prove the power of this platform, so at this stage I'm going with the flow.

I'll let you know if I can't navigate the new profile page when I get it.

No, I'm not staff. Just an average Hubber.

1. IzzyM profile image87

An average hubber that has been here 5 minutes yet knew how to access the new profile, and knew that is was a new profile and that it will take a little persuasion to get us to change to it, until it becomes compulsory.

Yeah OK, I've got a zip up the back, can you see it?

I can't see it, and I can't see why you need to be antagonistic. I have been here 5 days and I happen to have read the blog post about the new profile.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
                  Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No one's being antagonistic. This change was a big surprise to some of us who have been here for a long time. Good for you that you got it so quickly. You hadn't been using the other format for four or five years. But if you had, you might be a little disconcerted now because of the changes that will have to be made.

2. IzzyM profile image87

Sorry if I came across as antagonistic. I didn't mean to be.

2. profile image0
                EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

Funny, the first thing I thought when I opened up this thread was, "If the OP's just been here a few days, then I am one of the Cheeky Girls."

2. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wizzley and a few other sites have already changed to this format. After I got used to it, I liked it. However, I think this particular one looks a bit washed out.

2. J.S.Matthew profile image79
      J.S.Matthewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just upgraded to the New Profile and I love it! I have been waiting for this for a long time! We can now use our own images for the background! Nice job HubPages Team!

JSMatthew~

1. Anamika S profile image69
        Anamika Sposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have done it too! However I dislike the fact that I can no longer use HP referral trackers and my own links on the Profile. I don't mind the followers but I don't want the world to know who I am following. I also think the latest images and Others you might like. However, I like the social networking sites link, featured hubs and option of changing backgrounds.

3. 2uesday profile image66
      2uesdayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it is confusing for us that the link in the OP is to a member of HubPages staff.  Only by clicking on your profile image did I see your profile page and not hers.

I linked Simone's profile because you can only update yours by visiting someone who has already done so. I can't link my own as that would be self-promotion.

4. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to delay as long as possible.  My profile has pagerank, so the links on it to my blogs are valuable.

If I switch to the new profile, I lose those links.  So not in a rush.

5. Jenn-Anne profile image74
      Jenn-Anneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was pleased to see that some of the concerns originally expressed about the new profile have been addressed.  In general I like how it looks but will probably wait a little bit longer until some of the glitches have been fixed.

2. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

I think that the background makes it look like a blog page.

It seems to be optional at the moment. But beware, there is no returning to the old profile once you've opted for the new.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I think I do, I'm kind of nervous to click that update button.  Who else has updated theirs?

Did we hear feedback from HP about any changes they may have noticed with traffic, PR, etc?

I don't know. I just saw the blog post as soon as it came out and kinda rushed to it. Because I think the new profile is awesome!

4. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

Moving in that direction.....

I hope someone (staff? engineers?) will pay attention to the fact that the Featured Hubs are still scrolling unevenly.  One of the series barely flashed in the box, not allowing enough time to read it, while the others scrolled through at a more appropriate, leisurely pace.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I just changed mine. I wish I could link to more sites though.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yours looks nice.  Are there many backgrounds to choose from? 
      I may find one of my own images.

There are four backgrounds to choose from, if I remember correctly. Plus the options to have no background or to upload your own.

1. brianlokker profile image95
          brianlokkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is there a recommended image size if you use your own background image?

6. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

Now I have to completely redesign my profile text to fit with this format. I hate that I can't embed links. Officially from me, I hate this change. Not just because of the changes I have to make, but because of the effort my readers have to go through....selecting hubs or forum posts, categories. None of this is intuitive to readers.

7. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

The big thing for me is the fact that my backlinks will disappear.  I'm surprised no one else is worried about that?

I think a lot of people are worried about that, but there is just not a thing that can be done about it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

.....except not switching over before you have to, so you keep your links as long as you can smile

2. profile image0

Marisa Wright - first thing that occurred to me was that all the work I had done linking my profile to various hubs would disappear. I never really did much back linking though, relying more on keywords.

3. MyWebs profile image79
      MyWebsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally hate the fact I will no longer be able to link to a couple of my own sites. I have external accounts where I have a PR4 and I link to my profile to pass on some Google juice to my profile here that is a PR3. It's no fair that I can't use some of that link juice as I see fit. It's mostly because of my efforts my profile has that PR3 . I'll probably remove every link that I can to my profile and point them to my own website if HP doesn't change their stance on this issue.

I can see something needed to be done with some profiles just full of links, but now they have went to the opposite extreme.

Another thing, several of the links on my profile actually link to my better hubs using my main keywords as the anchor text. If I lose those links those hubs authority most likely will be diminished some effecting traffic and earnings.

7 links go to my hubs, 4 links go to my social networking accounts,  2 links go to my own websites and 1 link is a HP signup link. 4 of my hubs I link to are some of my higher traffic hubs. This is bad in my opinion. Most websites give you at least one do follow link in your profile. New profile = 0 do follow links!

1. profile image0

Mywebs, might not happen. I never invested in links but had a PR3 for a while. Not sure what it's dropped to now. Just checked again and I still have a PR3 and I have never bothered with backlinks - ever.

8. prairieprincess profile image92
    prairieprincessposted 11 years ago

I think the inability to see the niches on our page is a big weakness. I have switched over, and love the look, but I think there should be some kind of categories on the hubs, rather than just showing them by order written. Showing the categories on our profile pages really plays into the idea of niches, and the lack of this on the new pages takes away from this.

You can sort by category if you click "Show: All."

1. prairieprincess profile image92
        prairieprincessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that is good. I never saw that. Thanks!

9. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

I discovered a couple of little glitches in the new profile, and I have opened a separate thread for reporting them.

10. Scribenet profile image61
    Scribenetposted 11 years ago

Updated to the new profile after seeing this thread. I like the look!  There is a section for "links" on the bottom of that edit page ( I haven't used them yet)...you can check to see what is available by checking any new profile page, you do not need to convert yet, but it gives you an idea what is available and gives you time to plan ahead smile.

11. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

I'm going to wait this one out because I'm in no rush to do this transition.  The way the Hubs are listed looks a little too busy for me.

12. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I switched.  I like it OK.   I couldn't get the featured Hubs thing to work right, so I have a horrible picture from a recent Hub as my "featured" - but, whatever.  I'll so some finishing touches another time.  (That "can't-switch-back" thing is a little scary, though, isn't it...    smile  )

13. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

I switched.

The featured hub pictures is not working for me.  How can my pictures look so rubbish?  Given that it is like a DUHHHHHH - selling point - I would be grateful if someone could sort it out.

Why does a picture that looks OK on a Hub not look OK in a feature?

The background thing doesn't work either.

Apart from that - I like the idea of bombarding a reader with 250 hubs to scroll through.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Except for the one I saw with the top of the stick-lady's head cut off, I think your profile looks really nice with all your stick art on one page.   smile  (My images don't look like rubbish.  They ARE rubbish.  smile   In fact, now that I see all my Hubs in one place, most of them look like rubbish too.

Word to anyone reluctant to make the permanent switch:  The new profile no longer allows us to leave a lot of Hubs just kind of buried somewhere unless someone eventually scrolls through a zillion of them (the way they are with the old profile).  But I think, cosmetically, it looks nice.   smile  Not everyone is as horrified by as many of their own Hubs as I am.   I have to either shape up or ship out. now that I have the shiny new profile.  hmm    roll

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well thanks Lisa!  Now I've calmed down slightly - yes I like all the other pages (mostly).  It's just that the feature pictures are cut off - and considering they are the FEATURE pics - I'd especially like them to retain the same characteristics as when they are displayed elsewhere.

Otherwise it makes me look like I don't care - sling the pic up and cut most of it off.  Not a good way to feature something.

And...

Yours looks pretty good too.  It's nice to see ALL the hubs.  But you have the same cut off feature pic problem as I do.

14. Mark Ewbie profile image81

AND... has anyone from HP sat through the featured hubs (with the garbage picture display) and seen what happens when you get back to the first one?

The screen then displays blanks with a brief flash of the featured hubs.

THIS IS ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!!

TEST, TEST AND TEST AGAIN.

Why are computer people incapable of checking before they release their stuff.

So pretty please, with sugar on top,  how about someone from HP responsible for this spends half an hour testing today and then fixes the problems.

Meanwhile someone else can spend 30 minutes drafting a message of explanation - sorry for the teething trouble  - we are fixing it and will have it solved by close of play.

Then someone more senior organises another 30 minute meeting and says why the F--- are you guys releasing software that isn't working correctly?  Lets' find a way to make sure this NEVER EVER happens again.  It is embarassing and damaging to our image - not just for those idiot authors but more importantly for our search customers and our advertisers.

Better NO CHANGE at all - than change that does not work correctly.

I'll take this feeling with me to work today.  I'm surrounded by morons there as well.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mark,  I'm just as upset as you are. Anyone who already claimed Google Authorship will lose it when they switch to the new profile. This bug has not been fixed yet since the initial release to the staff. Google's Rich Snippets Test program clearly shows that it fails. sad

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I understand your anger / annoyance.  Hubpgaes is a business and given that it's business is the site and the software they need to up their game.

IF it was my responsibility there would be a meeting first thing to decide on a course of action to address these problems TODAY.

Next week would be a follow up to find out what needs improving in terms of releasing inadequate poorly tested code.

Did the early adopters, who work for HP, not notice these issues?

I guess they didn't notice. My bug report post a month ago didn't help. I see what they did. They thought they fixed the code by adding "Google+" to the anchor. But this only works when you have Google Plus, which is the full social network. It DOES NOT fix the problem for Hubbers who chose to use the regular Google profile, as I do. And I see others do too.

Not everyone wants to be forced to update to Google Plus when they don't need another social network. that. If you only have the regular Google Profile then the code HubPages is using fails the authorship markup test. Google provided that Tool. I guess they haven't used it to test their code in all cases. I'm a programmer system analyst and I don't release code until I test ALL CASES!

I tried the markup test with "profiles . google . com" as soon as I saw that HP still had the bug in the code, and it fails.  Anyone who upgraded to Google plus is okay, however.

I don't think it's fair that HubPages is forcing us to use Google Plus when the regular Google profile is acceptable.  I can't switch to the new HP profile until they fix this.  I don't need to be on another social network. Too much to keep track of. I don't know what they are thinking.

2. profile image0
          writeronlineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree with you, Mark. Aspects like page layout and visual style will always be open to subjective/creative differences of opinion.  And the new layout does offer individuals the chance to personalise their page to some extent. But site functionality, over which we as contributors have nil control, but from whose malfunction we suffer directly (nothing drives a page visitor away faster than a page not loading accurately) on a platform claimed to be world class, should be faultless. As you say, did the early adopters/pre-testers not notice the basic, annoying, potentially fatal flaws(ie; click aways) that you and others are pointing out? And just as importantly, what of the in-use examples? The OP links to Simone's page. Head of Outreach. Important, senior staff member. Her page malfunctions begin with the profile copy. Intended I'm sure to be in one panel. Unless SS intentionally laid it out so the "By night, I'm Batman" resolve is hardly noticed two lines down, and flush left, vs the rest being set solid, and indented..? Likewise, her featured hubs suffer from the randomised delay upon returning from elsewhere, with the effect that white space is the most predominant feature. In adition, 'recent images' aren't contained within the display box when enlarged, and instead bleed half-in, half-over the toned-back content from the previous page imagery/content. Does Simone also not see or care about these fundamental errors, which detract so badly from the site's intended class-leading profile?

Worse, these are the errors clearly visible to 'the ordinary person' which is all I am. The  code issues identified by Glenn Stok also show a disturbingly cavalier attitude on the part of HP management towards the 'rights' (I know,we have none really) of contributors.

I agree with yours and Glenn Stok's view that something so important that works so poorly should not yet have been released, and I'm amazed and disappointed that it has been.

2. Shadesbreath profile image76
      Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

ROFL. I love you, man. Just, lolololol(I wish there was a way to exponential numbers here).

Hey, you have to admit, that unending scroll really works for you. Your pictures rock, and people with an eye for humor are going to figure it out INSTANTLY.

If HP can figure out how to make the new hub hopping system work for stuff like ours (and right now the ranking choices are awful... my tags are all intentionally awful just as a place to start, and all that scanning stuff etc. is going to require people crap on my stuff ... by design?), this whole thing could be cool. Imagine if they had a progressive system of moving good stuff like yours towards the top based on read times and ratings. They might actually create an author base for ebook publication that they could do for people, make money, and, for the first time since the beginning, they could make bank off of the creative stuff instead of the yanking the SERP algorithm chain (which than also do).

I'm hopeful here (though not really looking forward to putting in the time to design my new profile and build graphics, etc.).

15. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 11 years ago

I see that the bug I reported a month ago is still in the new profile that causes us to lose our Google Authorship. So I'm going to have to wait before I switch over to the new profile.

Many Hubbers have already claimed their Authorship in the past year and I am sure they don't want to lose it. I hope this simple fix gets taken care of soon.

I posted an update for Micki in the other forum at http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/100457#post2171760 since she said it would be fixed before releasing the new profile.

I am sure this just got lost among all the other important issues. So I'll wait. roll

Are you sure about this? I've just google'd "how to make people uncomfortable" and there is the authorship.

Edit: Sorry. I've just seen the other post.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmm why did you google that particular phrase?? You planning on making people feel uncomfortable here? tongue

Anyway, I want the capability to link from the profile back! It's been just 2 days since I link to my blog and I won't be able to do it for much longer?? Looks ok but there are some changes that I'd love, just as with everyone else here.

Yes, I'm always trying to find new ways to make people feel uncomfortable.

You can still link to a personal website or blog, you will just miss the anchor text.

big_smile just kidding. Btw Melch you can just link to one website/blog as I see it. But, what if you've got more than that? Also, the anchor text is really important.

LOL I know. Me too.

I had never really linked to any one site from my profile, so I kind of don't feel the pain of those who have this issue. But my most sincere condolences to them. And here is a sad face: sad

Btw, I love it when people shorten my username like that. It just kinda feels right. wink Did you know that by calling me Melch you have literally called me "My king"?

Oh did I lol

2. soni2006 profile image78
      soni2006posted 11 years agoin reply to this

But Glen can you please explain to me that if I have google plus and I have submitted the link for my G+ profile to my hubpages new profile, then will I lose my google authorship or not? Please shed some light on this.

Soni,

It works fine if you are using Google+ but the problem is that HP is using "nofollow" and that makes the Authorship fail for people who only have the regular Google Profile. I don't know if HP is intending to force us to sign up for Google+ or if they just never tested their coding.

I see other posts that some people don't know about Google+ and Authorship. So for those, I'll explain briefly. Google+ is like Facebook, it's Google's social network. In order to claim Authorship of your Hubs with Google, all you need is a regular Google Profile, as Google explains in their Authorship instructions. But the bug HP has in the new HP profile forces us to use Google+.

As long as you have either one, you can link to it from HP and back to HP from Google as a reciprocal link. This proves your authorship and provides the advantages of authorship. As long as HP doesn't fix the bug, you will need to sign up for Google+.

1. Horatio Plot profile image76
          Horatio Plotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Glen,
          Sorry to be as thick as a brick, but what, briefly, are the advantages of Authorship and am I OK without it? I mean what will I lose without it.
          Thanks in advance.
          Horatio

Horatio,

I wrote a hub about it over a year ago but I can't self-promote here. So I'll give you a link to Search Engine Land, which is a great resource of information to answer your question about the advantages of Google Authorship ...

http://searchengineland.com/the-definit … kup-123218

1. wordscribe43 profile image90
              wordscribe43posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not particularly happy I adopted the new profile without knowing it would blow away my authorship...  If I would have known, I would have waited until HP worked out all the kinks until using it.  Oh well... hopefully it won't have any adverse effects.  I do hope they take this on as a priority on Monday, however.

Laura,

I just checked your wordscribe43 profile with Google's Rich Snippets test. Your authorship markup is verified because you signed up for Google Plus.

The bug HP has in the new HP profile only makes it fail for those who have a regular Google Profile. Google+, as you know, is Google's version of Facebook. I hope HP is not intending to force all of us to sign up for another social networking site.

Oh, thanks Glen!  I checked last night and it wasn't working.  It must have gotten fixed... big relief since it's been nagging me.  Thanks for taking your time to help everyone with this issue.  smile

Yeah, I guess they secretly fixed it between my first post and now. But funny thing is that they didn't fix it for staff profiles.  I didn't realize they fixed it until I looked at the coding of your profile.  So I went ahead and created my new profile too.

But now I found another BUG.  They don't allow use of "profiles.google.com", which is the regular Google profile URL. This brings me back to my original concern that HP wants to force us to sign up for Google's social network.

Nevertheless, Google does a 301 redirect from "plus.google.com" to "profiles.google.com" so I was able to do it that way and it works.

Anyone who has a regular Google account needs to know how to do this. Unless they fix THAT bug too.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

Laura,

I was just checking the coding in your profile and discovered that HP did not use "nofollow" for your Google link. So I thought they fixed it and just didn't tell anyone.

But then I checked a few other profiles. Robin Edmondson and Simone Smith both still have "nofollow" as I have been going by all along to discover this bug. But when I checked several other Hubbers who are not staff, they all have the correct authorship markup.

Thanks to you I did more digging and found this Interesting discovery!  The bug is only on Staff members profiles. And they all seem to have Google Plus anyway, so it doesn't matter for them. Which is probably why they never discovered the bug on their own.

So, assuming it's correct across the board for non staff, I'm going to switch over to the new profile now myself.

2. Horatio Plot profile image76
              Horatio Plotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Glen, much appreciated. Take care.
              H

16. rebekahELLE profile image85

I think I'm going to hang on until some of the glitches are fixed.  Those that I looked at look nice.  I saw one that looks quite busy, it might be distracting.   HA, it will be fun looking at everyone's new profile page.  Looking at who people follow is kind of interesting.  big_smile
    I'm not thrilled about losing that sign up tracker on our profiles.

I do have to say, Mark, your page looks great.  It just gave me my morning chuckles before leaving for work. lol

17. Mark Ewbie profile image81

Hey thanks Rebekah!  I kind of thought that too, all those stickmen in one place.  So despite my moaning - I'm pretty pleased with it.  It's like a mini Pinterest board.

18. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

I just found a workaround for the 'blank' featured articles! Click on Q&A or Forum - it quickly shows your Q&A or Forum entires then reverts back to the Hubs very quickly and refreshes the featured articles.

Design Feature or Design Flaw?!?!?! big_smile

1. Aficionada profile image78
      Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This was one of the first things I noticed when I checked out a new profile, and I created a thread for reporting glitches with the new-pro.  That problem seems to be specific to IE8 - maybe. I didn't encounter it with my iPad. Which browser are you using? (I'll add the info to the other thread.)

19. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

The new profile is OK I guess... the only thing I don't like is that the pictures/thumb nails for your scrolling "featured" hubs are HUGE so only a small part of the picture is visible. Can this be fixed?

**EDIT** Whoops, nevermind...the problem I described was going on when I switched the the "new profile" last night ... now that I've logged in this morning I see that they must've addressed it, as the images are more properly sized now. See, this is what happens when I do forum posts before morning coffee.

20. soni2006 profile image78
    soni2006posted 11 years ago

I think losing google authorship with the new profile update is the biggest concern here as told by Glenn Stok.

21. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years ago

Okay, here are my thoughts.

I'm a little tired of the presumption amongst website owners that everybody out there wants their private information hanging out for everybody to see. If I write on the forum, it's for HP writers, not for the world outside. Nor do I particularly want people to see who I am following. Also, while it's fun to answer questions, I really don't want search engines to pick up those answers. I think it's fair to say that if one has to sign into a website, that some sort of privacy is respected. I'm a writer. I want my articles to be exposed, not anything else.

Next, I rather liked the what's hot, what's best, what's latest feature. When looking at hubs, that's where I went first. Now I can't see that. Also, I'd like to know, if possible, how HP selects what is featured. At least I knew that what's latest was the latest thing I wrote, what's hot was the hub that had the most views, and what's best was the one that had the highest hub score.  Now I'm clueless.

Also, I think the formatting is a bit flat for lack of a better word. It would look better if it had a more magazine feel with three articles in one row, two in the next row, etc. It just looks very rigid as it.

While I appreciate that HP is doing their best to get us readers, it seems that every time there are changes, some good things go and some bad things go. Can't we have a vote on what the best features are so that they are always retained.

Thanks.

22. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

This cracked me up, ""Others You Might Like" Blacklist. You can add up to 3 usernames to a blacklist. Users on the blacklist are not going to be displayed in the Others You May Like Box."

So  far, my list remains empty... big_smile

23. MyWebs profile image79
    MyWebsposted 11 years ago

I think the new profile looks great. The size of these web pages is beyond crazy.

Holding CTRL and hitting F5, which forces my Firefox browser to download everything as if I had never been on this website before gives me these results for this profile http://brett-tesol.hubpages.com/. This profile has 107 published hubs. I'm not sure if a thumbnail is loading for every hub, but it sure appears that way below as you will see.

3.9 MB of data downloaded!
    34.07 seconds to load!
    YSlow score of 77 "C"
    Google PageSpeed of 68/100 "D"

Why in the world is HP scaling images in either HTML or CSS code? You don't upload a 1MB picture then resize it in HTML code to display at 250x250 pixels. Why make the user download the huge version only to show a much smaller version? (which is exactly what HP is doing here) You don't! Instead you resize the picture smaller and use that version to save bandwidth.

Page Speed - Serve scaled images - Score 0 out of 100
    The following images are resized in HTML or CSS. Serving scaled images could save 1.5MiB (72% reduction).

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6050051_f496.jpg is resized in HTML or CSS from 496x372 to 320x240. Serving a scaled image could save 56.0KiB (58% reduction).
        http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6801216_f248.jpg is resized in HTML or CSS from 248x504 to 124x252. Serving a scaled image could save 36.4KiB (75% reduction).
        http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6414190_f248.jpg is resized in HTML or CSS from 248x331 to 124x165. Serving a scaled image could save 36.1KiB (75% reduction).
        http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5193376_f248.jpg is resized in HTML or CSS from 248x331 to 124x165. Serving a scaled image could save 33.9KiB (75% reduction).
        http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6779237_f248.jpg is resized in HTML or CSS from 248x365 to 124x182. Serving a scaled image could save 30.7KiB (75% reduction)......................

Listed above are only 5 of the 110 instances of scaling an image in HTML or CSS. This is, a HUGE waste of bandwidth and an impatient surfer's time. So 38%, 1.5MB of that 3.9MB, is unnecessary!  Totally crazy!

Page Speed -  Remove unused CSS - Score 37.8 out of 100 - 58.5% of the CSS is unused for another wasted 113KB of 193KB of CSS code. This isn't so bad really as it's simpler to just throw all the CSS code out there than have many different CSS code files. But when coupled with the wasted 1.5MB of image data it just makes matters worse.

Page Speed -  Defer parsing of JavaScript -  Score 1 out of 100. 554.8KiB of JavaScript is parsed during initial page load. Most if not all of that JavaScript code could be moved from the HEAD to the bottom of the page to possibly  increase page rendering times. Yet another fail.

HP does Minify their HTML, CSS and Javascript code and Gzips and gets 99 - 100's here. But with all the wasted image data it matters very little really.

Page speed matters a lot to Google and clearly the new profiles fail beyond belief for a major website like this. If these new profiles are to be forced upon us eventually I sure hope HP puts forth the effort to fix these obvious mistakes before it becomes mandatory.

Even if HP were to fix the 1.6 MB of wasted data I point out here that still leaves this profile page weighing it at 2.3MB! Still an epic fail speed wise in my opinion. Sure it looks nice, but is almost 4MB of data a good trade off? I suppose when we all have a fiber optic connection these issues won't matter, but we don't yet.

"How well does your site perform? Are the slow pages affecting your conversation rates or driving away potential visitors and clients?"  Make the Web Fast: Measuring Performance with Google Analytics Site Speed Reports from the Google Developers' YouTube channel live perfcast to begin in about 3 days.

24. paradigmsearch profile image59

The text is too darned light! Have to strain to read it. Or is it just me? big_smile

It's not too light, but it's rather light. Would be better if it was a shade darker.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

You can make it bold. I tried that and it's not bad.

Nice

2. Lisa HW profile image62

I think yours looks nice.  I've been enjoying checking out the latest "converts" on this thread as they've been popping up.  I think they all look nice - far more polished.

Yours looks nice too, Lisa.  Like me, you chose the blank background.  I'd like to change that, but use my own image.  Not sure what to use though... and not sure how it will look as a background.  To tile or not to tile?  How to represent what I want?  How to keep it from looking too busy?  It's hard since I write about a lot of different things.  I don't know.  Are you going to keep yours blank?

Thanks.  I used a blank image with a shade of green that I "made myself" in the paint program.  It looks  too much like the gray of "no background" on here.  Another color wouldn't look so much like the "no background".  Maybe you could create a color shade that you really like - at least until you think up an image you may like.   I kind of like the no-image look.  I'm not sure I shouldn't adjust the shade of green.

Ohhh... I see that now.  That's actually a really good idea!  I have a lot of experience with Gimp and Inkscape, so perhaps I could get something going there.  Thanks for the input, Lisa.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85

That is nice.  I agree that the text and blank background are too light.  I like the subtle design you have chosen, very appealing.

25. rebekahELLE profile image85

All of my text profile links link  to my hubs, with one Twitter link, and one referral link.  I would like to hear how this changes link authority, if at all.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the PR of our profile URL include our entire sub-domain, since it is the URL for our site?

As far as I'm concerned the PR of our subdomain is what ever it is and each individual page has it's own PR. But, the main PR of our subdomain does play a huge role on that of our pages

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

It removes the link authority completely, because all of your links disappear. 

Looking at your profile, I assume the phrases in italics were links in the old profile.  In the new profile, you don't have any hyperlinks in your text.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85

Most of the italicized words on my current bio were hyperlinks leading to hubs.  I had no links (on bio) leading off the site except Twitter.  What I see is better site structure on our subdomain.  All of the hubs are linked on one page, plus we have additional pages of categorized hubs which is nice for search.     
        I like the update and we'll see how it works.  I like the look. I did see a slight google increase in traffic since updating, which I generally don't see on a weekend.

26. Froggy213 profile image61
    Froggy213posted 11 years ago

I love the layout except I lost the links to the books I have authored. I guess we take the good with the bad and I hope it helps traffic

27. brianlokker profile image95
    brianlokkerposted 11 years ago

Overall I like the new profile page very much. I'm glad that some of the community's suggestions were implemented before it was rolled out. I haven't experienced the other bugs that have been mentioned in this thread, but I do notice that my "Last seen" line says I was last seen "21 hours days ago." That code needs to be tweaked. Also, maybe "Last online" or "Last activity" would be better. I don't want my picture to end up on a milk carton if I'm not on the HP site for a while.

lol    I'm not a fan of the "last seen on" either.   It's not just the hint of "the milk-carton thing" that kind of doesn't sit well with me. - although that's the the thing that struck me most.  There's the "technically inaccurate" factor:  We've most often been "seen" by someone in this world - just not seen by anyone on HubPages.  If nothing else..  maybe it could be changed to "last seen on Hubpages".   It is kind of spooky/creepy as it is. - not to mention technically inaccurate.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Last spotted...

Last apprehended...

Last noticed...

Whereabouts unknown since...

Escaped since...

Torpid since...

I love your list - especially "whereabouts unknown since".   I might suggest just one more for Hubbers who are women and/or daughters and/or mothers and/or are/have ever been wives and/or employees at some companies....           
          "Hasn't been here since ______ and we've all been so worried.  We don't know why she wouldn't have at least said  where she was going"   

Note:  My comma and other punctuation keys aren't working these days - which is the reason for all the "and/or's" and no smiley face at the end of my post.

1. brianlokker profile image95
            brianlokkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe HP could add something like "APB issued on [date]" that would be automatically triggered once the "last seen" interval reaches, say, 3 days.

28. rebekahELLE profile image85

I have a question.  Can we experiment to see if we want a certain image, but decide not to upgrade if it doesn't look like we want it to?  I don't see a way to do this.

EDIT:  No, there isn't a way to do this.  You can change images once you've updated, SO I've officially updated.  My original file didn't work unless it was tiled, and it didn't look right.  This will do for now, I like it.

Here we go! big_smile

29. paradigmsearch profile image59

Speaking of images, BE FOREWARNED!!!

If you post an image in the forum, it could then show up on Recent Images on your profile page.

I posted a picture of the Hubmobile in the forums 4 weeks ago.

It is now my Number One Recent Image.

I'm still grinning about it. big_smile

30. Tenerife Islander profile image67
    Tenerife Islanderposted 11 years ago

Thank you for posting this because I was just trying to find out how to get it!

31. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

Usual storm in a teacup. Shock, horror! Something happened and it is sure to be the end of everything we hold dear! lol. (Unless one can find a nice shade of something indefinable).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)