SUGGESTION:Learning Center post on how "Discover More Hubs" are chosen

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)
  1. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

I am still seeing quite a few hubs (not just my own) that have completely random hubs listed in the "Discover More Hubs" section. It would be really helpful to hubbers to know how the algo finds titles for this section.

For example, tonight I read a poetry hub titled "Red Riding Hood" and one of the "Discover" hubs was 'How to Replace a Whole House Water Filter Sediment Cartridge.
    http://jade0215.hubpages.com/hub/Red-Riding-Hood

Another hub titled 'Benefits Of Creating A DeviantART Account' has a "Discover" hub titled 'How Companies Use and Account for Periodic Expenses.'
    http://waynetully.hubpages.com/hub/Bene … RT-Account

Do these "Discover" hubs come from tags, titles, words within the hub or all three? Maybe from categories? From the author's other hubs? Sometimes I wonder if they are completely random.

With Google supposedly penalizing pages and sites that contain unrelated links, a Learning Center post on how to maximize our hubs to get the best links in the 'Discover' section would help all hubbers.

2. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

I'll happily write a Learning Center explaining this! It might take a while, since we've all got a pretty heavy workload this summer, but rest assured that I shall put together the post. smile

3. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

Great! Thank you so much! smile

1. HubPages profile imageSTAFF
      HubPagesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi SmartAndFun! The entry is now published. Thanks for the suggestion!

SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much! Do you have any tips on what writers can do to get relevant hubs placed in that section? There is much overlap of keywords from subject to subject. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

1. Aficionada profile image79
          Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

SAF, were you meaning that in an ironic way?  I ask, because the article is pretty specific in saying No, there is nothing to do to get placed in that section, other than to focus on building a strong online niche, creating quality Hubs, and developing readership - all of which we want to do anyway, apart from trying to be featured on other Hubbers' Hubs.

I'm glad you requested this article.

No I am not trying to be ironic.

I am not trying to get my work placed on others' hubs, although that would be nice. I am trying to get relevant links placed in my articles.

There are problems with the current related hubs algo placing unrelated links in my hubs, and I am wondering what I can do to control that. I have been told Google downgrades sites when it finds unrelated links. Not to mention, it is a waste pf valuable HP real estate and confusing for the reader. If HP can't fix the algo or does not have the time and manpower to so, I am happy to do what I can on my end to improve the results. That's what I am wondering -- how to get relevant links in that section of my articles where there are currently wildly unrelated ones.

1. Aficionada profile image79
              Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for explaining.  I didn't understand what you meant in your earlier post, and this helps somewhat.

You're welcome. Sorry to be unclear. It would be great for everyone -- writers, readers and HP --  if we could get any unrelated links in our hubs switched out to relevant ones.

4. MickiS profile image75
    MickiSposted 11 years ago

As promised by Simone earlier, here is the FAQ entry on how "Discover More Hubs" are chosen: http://hubpages.com/faq/#related-hubs

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)