The Need For Comprehensive Sex Education In American High Schools

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

Statistics show that of all the industrialized nations,  American teenagers have one of the highest teen pregnancy rate.   Many American schools do not teach a thoroughly comprehensive sex education.    The main emphasis of many American schools are abstitence only sex education which apparently does not work. 

Many parents are reluctant to teach their children the rudiments of a comprehensive sex education which includes subjects of contraception and/or abortion.    To the estimation of some parents, educating their children about sex is equivalent to giving their children sexual license.    These parents mistakenly believe that if their children do not know about sex, they will not be tempted to have sex.   

In many European countries,  there is an open discussion of sex in the schools and in the home.   European parents routinely discuss all the aspects of sexual education with their children, including the use of contraception.    It seems that European countries do not have the shame about sex that America does.     If America wants to reduce the high incidence of unplanned teenaged pregnancy, there need to be a more comprehensive form of sex education other than the abstitence only method of sex education.    Do you agree with this premise?

1. smzclark profile image60
      smzclarkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do agree, but am surprised by how many times unplanned pregnancy is mentioned and STI's are not mentioned here once. I personally am more scared for my kids where STI's are concerned than unplanned/underage pregnancy. And I fell pregnant unplanned before I was ready (not due to lack of education however---I was one of the 1% that contraception didn't work for).

The fact is that if children don't learn about it from their parents or at school, then they'll learn about it from the boy up the road, or their older cousin, or by overhearing youths in the park... and hearing it from them; they won't be taught about respecting their own bodies and others, they won't learn about pregnancy or about STI's, nor will they learn about contraception.

I personally am very open with my daughter and believe I'm doing the right thing.

2. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

It never fails to astonish me the great numbers of parents who believe that burying their children's head in the sand is the best way to prepare them for the real world.

3. tussin profile image55
    tussinposted 11 years ago

It's important to distinguish between pregnancy rates and birth rates.  Europeans are more liberal about abortions so they have a smaller percentage of teen parents if you get my drift. But does that mean their teens get pregnant at a lower rate? I don't know.

4. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

You stated the reason in your OP. Some people believe teaching their children about sex is giving them permission to have sex.
    But you can certainly understand that, right?
    Denial of basic biology in favor of moral teachings comes with the territory.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mighty Mom,  it is totally incredulous that many parents and schools are threatened by the concept of a comprehensive sex education.    Sex is a naltural part of life.     Tweens and teenagers should be taught about the parts of the body, contraception, abortion, and being a responsible person regarding sex.     Also safety precautions such as STDs and AIDs should be highly strerssed with its preventives.     You are on target that many parents believe that it is "immoral" to teach such methodology regarding sex education.   They are actually more comfortable with the abstitence-only sexual education program.    Well, that apparently is not working.    Teenage pregnancies galore!

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

Here in Australia, I remember being forced to sit through a movie called "The Price Tag of Sex" every two years in my Christian school.

The only message I took away from it was "Girls keep your pants on." Hardly mentioned the boys at all. Luckily I had a smart dad who explained everything including why it was important to be safe. Plus I stole his How To Give Your Child Sex Education book when I was ten. Gee did that freak me out!

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I think one of the best ways to keep children from having sex, especially girls, is to be completely honest, and do it early, well before they start thinking about boys. Tell them how it works, like, actually how, in words they can understand. Then show them a video of a live birth. Say stuff like, "You see there Little Suzy, that wave of blood and stinky goo coming out of the giant rip in her private parts is what happens when you have sex. Oh, and a baby comes out too."

Bam, problem solved.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ahaha. That'd cure them. Although I went back for seconds. Pushing out a baby is easily forgotten.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)