Polygamy

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

How do you feel about polygamy. Should consenting adults be able to marry this way?

Personally, I think it interesting that it is generally considered much worse to want to marry, love, and support multiple spouses, than to simply sleep with multiple partners.

1. Josak profile image61
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Definitely fine as long as they are all consenting adults, it is my hope that after we fix the same sex marriage issue we will deal with this one too.

2. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The courts would have a nightmare to deal with when a divorce would happen. Dividing communal property between three or more people? It is hard enough with two. The moral objections I have no problem with as I think if you love someone and wish to share that love on a bigger platform it should be your perogative. But the legal thing.............?

3. tohimilook profile image60
      tohimilookposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if a man would want a wife who has more than one husband.  The argument is always about a man wanting more than one wife.   Would a man want two mothers-in-law.

I cannot see a man loving three wives the same way.   I would not want to be married to a man who has two other wives.     An adultery may have an outside woman or women, BUT the fact is that the wife is the ONLY wife and he can leave the outside partners any time.

I believe that marriage is for a husband and a wife.   The whole idea of polygamy is crazy.   The first wife having children, then the second wife with her children etc....what kind of environment is that for children... I hate it and reading about women who are in relationships like , they do not appear to be happy.   They talk and try to impress others but how can you feel good knowing that your husband is making love to a wife and then he may make love to you another time.  The whole concept sounds OBNOXIOUS.

2. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 11 years ago

Two nagging wives.............................................

Well the Muslims in various parts of the world practice this all the time so why not. For the benefit of the men anyway.

Personally if I could afford it I would - until I consider my opening line....

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I'd love to have several husbands!

1. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me too!  Wouldn't mind sharing with other wives too, rushed off my feet here.

I think the reason people freak at the thought is because we seem to have this idea that we 'own' our partner and therefore would not want to share them with anyone.  So we opt for consecutive monogomy. ie get married, cheat, get married, cheat etc.  We didn't have this problem when people's life expectancy was low.  Cornish tin miners wives used to notch up at least a handful of husbands in their lifetime.  Watching someone suck their teeth at the breakfast table for the rest of your life is a sure fire test of love, believe me smile

4. Jane Bovary profile image84
    Jane Bovaryposted 11 years ago

I don't think polygamy is wrong, in itself...but I do wonder when it occurs within an atmosphere of cultural pressure and double standard.

Two or three husbands would be very useful - one for heavy lifting and the handyman stuff and another for..er, other things.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You read my thoughts!

5. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

Double trouble or double the love?

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm lucky, my wife is nearly angelic in all ways, I don't have to put up with very much.

But, based on my experience dating, I wouldn't want to risk having two wives... too much trouble.

6. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

As long as the added financial responsibility rests within the family.
    Which is one of the problems with FLDS in Utah and Arizona.
    They go on welfare and milk the system.

Should having 4 wives entitle you to 4x the benefits? How many can/should be able to file a SS claim for one husband?

1. profile image0

Do you feel the same way about people who have non-family members as dependents, and claim them for benefits?

7. psycheskinner profile image85
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Sure, they should be able to marry.  It would probably require some reworking of the benefits and legal systems to ensure individuals households get what is fair in a sustem that no longer assumes spousal units are pairs,

8. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/ … 5519.shtml

How very ironic that gay couples have been denied and have had to fight for benefits normally accorded spouses. Meanwhile, other non-legally recognized marriages are reaping benefits. Hmmm.

Who Foots Bill For Polygamist Communities?
    comments
    5inShare.0More+
    EmailFacebookTwitterLinkedInDigg.PrintDeliciousRedditStumbleuponGoogle Bookmarks....
    ByCBSNews .Play CBS News Video
    The raid on the polygamist compound in Eldorado, Texas has not only focused public attention on such sects, it's sparked many questions about them.

One such query: Who pays their bills?

A significant part of the answer, according to Early Show national correspondent Hattie Kauffman is -- taxpayers, in the form of welfare.

Kauffman and Laurie Allen, who escaped from polygamy, drove around one such community, in Colorado City, Ariz., and saw many mammoth homes built to accommodate multiple wives and children.

How the man of the house can afford to build such super-sized dwellings! The answer: He can't. He doesn't pay for them, you do.

As Allen explained to Kauffman, "What happens is a man marries one wife, she's his legal wife, then he marries ten other wives in the church, and all the other wives are, by law, single women, so they have all these children with him, and they all get welfare."

The more kids, the bigger the welfare check, Kauffman points out.

"Some of the women in this town have 26 babies," Allen told her.

1. profile image0

It's really no different than any single mother collecting benefits. Whether a group of people get together and share their benefits or not, it really doesn't change what is going out to them.

9. tussin profile image58
    tussinposted 11 years ago

In theory it's fine if both sexes can choose multiple partners.  But in societies where only men can have multiple spouses it's pretty easy to see what kinds of social problems arise from the scarcity of wives. Younger men will have lower priority for choosing mates so they have to delay marriage until they are much older, which means women will have to marry much younger to accomodate the need and they will be stuck sharing an old geezer.  If polygyny (multiple wives) was actually practiced on a wider scale outside those isolated little communities of religious fundamentalists, the system simply couldn't sustain itself.  People might start killing male babies to ensure the right gender ratio or there would just be tons of straight men out of luck.

1. profile image0

Yeah, there are polygamy colonies where boys are kicked out of the house in their early teens. Sometimes they are given some going away money, and sometimes they are given nothing.

10. psycheskinner profile image85
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

If a person has a belief about who they should marry, so long as it involves consenting adults, I don;t think we should judge.  Society gets involved if they exploit or abuse, and not before.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)