unapproved comment

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (30 posts)
  1. BoCot profile image61
    BoCotposted 16 years ago

Hello,
    I am wondering why some of the comments I made to  hubs was posted as unapproved comments. Others said  this comment, whats the difference?

BoCot

1. profile image0
      Iðunnposted 16 years agoin reply to this

some people moderate, others don't.  don't assume they don't like your comment (although they might not).  you get used to which ones prefer that option to 'not show until moderation' and they will probably approve when they log in to Hubs.

myself, I'm put off by it and typically don't comment to people who keep theirs moderated, for the most part.  even though it doesn't mean anything, it kind of annoys me anyway.  :p

2. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

On each Hub you write, you can choose whether or not to display comments right away.

If you choose not to display, then the comment will be hidden until you read it, decide it is not spam, and approve it.

The default setting is to display the comment, but note that the Hub owner has not yet approved it.

All comments on all Hubs start out as "unapproved", and the Hub owner must read and approve them to change that status.

It doesn't mean anything about the content of your comment - all comments go through the approval process.

Jenny

1. BoCot profile image61
      BoCotposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer, being new I don't want to step on peoples toes by accident.
      BoCot

3. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 16 years ago

I'm put off by the large amount of people who spam in comments and moderate everything.

4. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 16 years ago

I moderate my comments for the same reason as relache. I don't like comment spam, and would rather approve the comments. It's nothing against anyone personally, I'm just careful that way.

5. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

I don't get a lot of spam but perhaps that's because unpoetry doesn't really attract those type of comments.

My personal favorite comment received I think, at least in the top ten, was the one from a guy claiming to be Giuliani's nephew wanting to break my knees for my anti-Giuliani hub.  hahaha, I kept it, it's still up.

smile

1. rogue nestling profile image57
      rogue nestlingposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Cool! Your first politically-related threat of violence!   :envies:

It was likely a mixture of both your opinion and the jaunty beret that stirred his ire.

1. profile image0

contraire!  my favorite ever of course preceded both Hubz and even the old board and goes back to CourtTV when XChain the neonazi wanted to come kill me over the Carr trial debate. big_smile

no one can top your first online death threat :heart:  XChain's infamy will live forever.

6. Stacie Naczelnik profile image67
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

I moderate on a hub by hub basis.  I tend to hardly get any spam, but if I notice a particular hub is getting more, I will make it so I have to approve comments before they appear.
    As well, I recently wrote a hub about women and body image.  I wanted it to be a "safe" place for people to comment about their experiences, so I moderate those comments.  But, I wrote that I would be doing that in the hub.
    I think it is silly to be put off by someone because they don't want to have a bunch of spam showing in the comments on their hubs.

7. vreccc profile image60
    vrecccposted 16 years ago

What would you consider spamming. For example, I just put a link to my hub in Inspirepub's comment area in her hub about Web 2.0. I want her to see the hub because I would appreciate her thoughts. Her hub on Web 2.0 lead me to believe that she is an authority on the topic.

Is notifying someone of a hub of mine that is relevant to theirs considered spamming?

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image67
      Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

There has been some discussion of this on the forums before.  I got the impression that most people don't like it.  I decide if it is okay depending on the situation.  If the comment is about the topic of my hub, with an explanation for the link (and the link is related to my hub), I will leave it.  But, I'm annoyed with these kinds of comments:

"Cool hub!  Read mine: wwwlinktomydumbhub"

I delete those.

2. profile image0
      daflaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

If there is nothing other than a link, I usually delete the comment.  I feel that common courtesy dictates that you at least say something like "Like your hub.  Here are my feelings on the subject", or "I like your hub.  I have something on the subject you might like to read."  before you put the link.  Doesn't take but a minute to be kind.

8. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

It mostly depends on a person I think. And your previous relationship to that person.

1. profile image0

like the 'privet' form?  smile  good evening to you, Misha.  haha.  I'm in the forums taking in the arrows.  give me half an hour and I'll look like a porcupine. big_smile

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Privet Привет smile

9. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

vreccc, me personally, I don't consider posting a related hub for me to take a peek at spam.  I often appreciate the heads up.

I think I'm in the minority on that one, though.

10. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 16 years ago

Everyone has their different standards. Mine is that if the comment with the link is for personal gain only ie:

Hi Nice Hub,

Come and see my site on The Five Ways you can Make A Million Online Overnight by one keystroke!!!!! (with a link attached)

That's spamming. They really don't want to interact with you, they just want to post their link. It's all about them, and getting that backlink for Google.

But if you were to say, comment on the hub in a meaningful way, and then supply a link to yours, I would not consider that a spam comment.

11. Stacie Naczelnik profile image67
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

Exactly, Hovalis.

So, say you wrote a hub on vegetarian cooking, and I had a hub with a fabulous vegetarian recipe, I might post a comment like:

This is really great info.  I hadn't heard of that technique for cooking tofu before. I can't wait to try it out the next time I stir fry.
    Your tips for adding protein to your diet reminded me of this recipe: linktomyhubrecipe.  You might want to give it a try.

12. vreccc profile image60

I think I'm getting the picture. I think Misha said it well. It depends on the person and your relationship with them. Even if the intention is pure and the relationship of the hub is clear, it could still be taken the wrong way.

Cheers!!

13. vreccc profile image60

Privet and 你好。Do those characters show up on your screens?

14. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Nope, you probably have Chinese installed. And this was Russian smile

1. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I saw both and speak neither :-)

15. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

I can read it as your letters when YOU type it, Misha, but I can't type it in or even copy the Russian in (on this site).  I love seeing it, though.  :heart:

Of course, as a result, I did create the special Idunnian Russian alphabet.  They say necessity begets invention. smile

16. vreccc profile image60

Hmmm,

I can see your Russian but you can't see my Chinese. I don't remember installing Russian.

1. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Jonathan, what you posted back is shown as hieroglyphs on my screen, while my post is shown in Russian. That's why I was talking about Chinese. And the fact that you lived there for quite some time, too - I'm assuming you learned some language and have it on your machine smile

1. Hope Alexander profile image69
        Hope Alexanderposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Russian is an awfully cheeky language. There it is, Russia, sitting so close to Europe, so close to Asia, and then having the gall to make up an entirely new alphabet! Well I never... Something ought to be done about that.

-This post bought to you by the committee for making languages easier to learn by making them all the same.-

1. robie2 profile image76
          robie2posted 16 years agoin reply to this

I can see it now--the language revolution--"speakers of the world unite..." etc. etc. idealism. spirited oratory, marching bands, an esperanto revival---maybe even a hub????? smile

17. gamergirl profile image83
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

I want to learn Russian.. and mandarin.. and arabic.. and Yiddish

18. vreccc profile image60

Gamegirl,

I'll teach you some Chinese. Or, at least point in the right place to go to learn.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)