Gyms and diets don't want you to lose weight, permanently.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. spellbinderdk profile image61
    spellbinderdkposted 11 years ago

Fitness centers and diets do not want you to lose weight, permanently. They want you to lose a little and then gain it again. So you'll have to keep going to the gym or dietitian. Therefore, they make a cure / program that is hard to follow. So there is a greater chance that you fail it, and gain weight again. Then you must return to them, pay them money and try again.
    The simplest way to lose weight ...? Get more muscle, so you consumers more energy, constant, and that makes it easier to lose weight and keep the weight down, permanently.
    The only persons that cares more about diet than girls, is bodybuilders. Ask them for help, and they will tell you how to stay slim.

1. MayG profile image77
      MayGposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello spellbinderdk.  I'm sorry, but I don't agree with your incredibly generalised attack on fitness centres and diets  for a minute. 

I think fitness centres want people to become addicted to exercise, for it to become part of their life, so they keep coming back.  They want people to make it a routine, so they keep renewing their membership.  They don't assume that the minute people lose enough weight they're going to stop going.
      As for diets and dietitians- the success and reputation of a dietitian depends on people successfully losing weight and keeping it off.  Not that I'm a fan of dieting anyway, I much prefer the idea of healthy eating and increased exercise - including building muscle as you mention above, but I couldn't let your comment about fitness centres and diets go without disagreeing!

I battled with a few extra pounds through my late teens and early twenties (even though I walked A LOT) until I started doing weights at the gym and the extra weight literally fell away, and so I do agree with your advice about building more muscle.  Although I'm not convinced this works for everybody - I think different body types can respond to different things.

2. lav-senior profile image61
      lav-seniorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Spelbinderdk.
      I just want to say something really quickly about weight loss and fitness- it's not down to the gyms or dieticians mentality as to how someone's weight loss is maintained, it's down to the individual. Sometimes people lose weight and they forget how easily it is to regain it and accidentally and usually quite gradually fall back to their old habits which caused them to gain weight in the first place hence causing the yo-yo dieter.
      The only person's behaviour you can control is your own and that extends to blame and passing books.

2. ftclick profile image55
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

People you can simply cross-train or do other outdoor activities that require some type of physical ability and you won't need the gym.
    run in the sand, take hikes, bike, jog, tennis, long walks, dance, yoga, martial arts, etc.
    They do want you to stay fit since you are so much better off. From the gist of some comments it sounds like you leaning towards being sedentary. We can't be glued to our PCs, laptops, x-boxes all the time. This is one reason why the USA is increasingly obese. More fatty foods and being less active.
    I used to go to the gym but now do exercise at home or take a nice walk.

Bottomline is if you want to take care of your body, there are plenty of other ways than a gym. I do think the personal trainers are trying to drill that necessity into you though.I  agree it is an individual thing too. Some people gain or lose weight faster than others.

1. spellbinderdk profile image61
      spellbinderdkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The easiest way to lose weight, is to gain more muscle mass.
      Instead of exercise 3 hours or more very week, for the rest of your life.
      Use 2x30 minutes a week for a month or two, building up your muscle.
      And then just use 30 minutes a week keeping your muscle mass.
      The more muscle mass you have, the more energy you use being alive.
      But the gyms keep it a secret, so you have to keep training and paying them.

1. jclaffee profile image68
        jclaffeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exercise is only part of it. No exercise plan is capable of compensating for bad eating habits. Get your eating under control first, then work out a varied exercise routine that prioritizes compound movements.

2. talfonso profile image84
      talfonsoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

ftclick, I agree with you - I exercise at home. I do weights and speedwalking/brisk walking intervals. I also do a program called Oxycise!. Most people lost weight, inches, or both using it exclusively, but I mainly do it for stress relief (which is much needed because I'm caring for an ailing relative) and core strength. Along with good eating habits, I lost 5 or so pounds and over 5 total inches (3 from waist) doing this.

Again, note that my only exercise isn't Oxycise!. I do that with regular exercise and healthy diet to make weight loss (in fat) effective. I know that some of you are naysayers saying that it doesn't work and it's a scam, but under said circumstances, it worked for me.

3. ocbill profile image53
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

I think you only see one part of the world. The US is consumer capitalism greed oriented so diet and exercising are billion dollar industries. Yet, people who are healthy looking and eat properly (healthy) live on islands and non-English speaking parts of Europe. Why?

Answer: They use bicycles a lot more, they go on social walks, they don't eat the constant junk food sold in the US, or engage in hours of TV or video games. They have an active lifestyle which does not always mean gym workouts. Just casual activities and eating normal real food instead of processed crap.

No, I am not one of them and I do like some junk food but there are more things to life than working out and diet that can help you stay a normal weight. Don't give in to this acceptance by obese people & the media saying it is normal and perfectly OK. Yeah, it's normal if you eat burgers and fries and other junk food to be overweight and will end up with other diseases UNLIKE others countries in the world.

Do you create your own path or do you let society's negatives set your course? American's are supposed to be leaders and examples of success. People accepting to be fat is not an example of greatness or success but more of laziness. And economics does not play a part. Whole grain rice, beans, fruits, vegetables and water are not expensive foods to buy. People who make $400/mo in 3rd world countries can eat healthy but Americans have to eat junk food if they make the same amount, give me a break.

4. A Troubled Man profile image58
    A Troubled Manposted 11 years ago

I picked up P90X on Craigslist a few years back for about $60. It contains about 12 videos and a few books, one of which teaches you healthy and proper dietary habits. In a few short months, I looked liked Tony Horton and still do today, all easily done at home. Tony's da man!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)