SUGGESTION: More Bookmarking Options

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Cameron Conner profile image60
    Cameron Connerposted 11 years ago

As an online writer I understand the importance of bookmarking. Most of us have them neatly placed in a folder or on our tabs but many readers don't. Although Pinterest is a good bookmarking site it is by far not the only bookmarking site. Simply giving readers the option of Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest is not enough to propel Hubpages back to the PR7 glory days. We need a share button that includes several options. Really, we should be offering our readers as many different bookmarks as possible. This diversity will be wonderful in the sight of Google instead of just seeing an abundance of Pinterest bookmarks. That absence of diversity may even be playing a huge part in our ever increasing difficulty to place well in Google. HubPages is a great site that I want to succeed and I honestly think that providing a plethora of bookmarking and social buttons will be a good start for getting individual hubs and HubPages back on track and to keep us from falling behind.

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

There were more sharing options but they've been removed. Why? Oh that's right, because Google is becoming aware that social bookmarking sites like Digg and Stumbeupon etc are basically huge masses of self spam.

Cameron Connerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree but they still hold higher PR then HubPages and just because they are filled with spam does not mean that Google will read everything from them as spam. Even HubPages has several spam articles. I have ran across numerous articles that were obviously spun. I hate spun material and people are able to easily game the system to get their hub scores above 75. As for bookmarking sites being spam. Google still sees many of them as a higher PR then HubPages. It is hard to argue that if Google still likes these sites that much that we should shun them. I am not writing this to offend hubpages. I love this site. I just want to help it.

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You do know PR is a meaningless number...?

Yes, I agree. PR is for lack of a better word useless when it come to Google itself. However, pr plays a big role in getting people to link to you and sign up with the site. In my opinion HubPages gives high hub scores out too easy. This makes it easy for people to start writing here which is great. However, it opens up the doors for lower quality writing(aka spun and duplicate). Raising the page rank would simply show the world that hubpages is serious about quality and would attract good writers and give hubpages a chance to tighten down on their hub scoring.

Also you can not tell me that the jump to a pr7 would not bring a rush of welcomed traffic and possibly even give us a shot at taking the #2 seat away from squidoo or maybe even take the title from ehow.

I'm experiencing far better traffic now than back when Hubpages was PR7.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The page ranks were just updated on August 2.  PR is helpful to advertisers on knowing which sites are popular.  The higher a site's PR, the better advertisers it will draw in.  It's not really a meaningless number, but not one to obsess over.

3. Cameron Conner profile image60
    Cameron Connerposted 11 years ago

Ok, it was just an idea. you win. i fill stupid.

You never get an answer if you never ask. But fishing for compliments doesn't work on me either.

At least you learned something today.

I wasn't fishing for anything. Just though I would throw out an idea. not get into a debate over pr. I do agree with most of what you are saying. I am also in a bad mood today because I have pneumonia. I should not have posted that last thread. It was childish.

All good. I've just recovered from three months of being sick on and off with my two kids. Fun!

I found this post by GreekGeek very informative: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/101613#post2168853

Thanks for the link. It is a good post. Very informative and eye opening.
            Two kids huh? Betting that was hard I got one 2 1/2 year old and that is tough enough.

I'm on my own most of the time too, as my OH works away. But it's not too hard most of the time, I get to write when they're asleep. smile

4. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 11 years ago

I use SU for mindless diversion (the way it was intended) and very few of the pages I've submitted have been my own (also the way it was intended.) When the button was there I did stumble quite a lot hubs by other people. While some say it's worthless because stumblers don't click ads (true), every time you a pair of eyes lands on your work it's an opportunity get your work shared with others who will share it with others who will--who knows?--maybe click an ad.

5. MickiS profile image76
    MickiSposted 11 years ago

My apologies for just catching up with this thread, but I was on vacation for the last several weeks.

To the original suggestion of adding more social share buttons than just Pinterest, FB, and Twitter....here's the offiicial response:

We used to have them on the Hub. When we switched to the new design on the afternoon of June 12, they were removed. Why? Because they got almost no clicks.

We left the top 3 that did get LOTS of clicks (and heads and shoulders above the rest of the dozen sites). In addition, in our user focus groups and testing, the people who were frequent users of the other sites most of the time didn't need buttons on the page to share. They would copy/paste URLs or use a browser plug-in from their site of choice.

As such, we made the decision to have fewer things on the page in the name of ease of use, simplicity, and faster page loads times.

Whew....there ya go. The long backstory. Hope that was helpful.

6. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 11 years ago

Testing outside of HP, I agree with HP's decision also.

and all those share buttons use their own little scripts each adding to load time.

solid response

1. MickiS profile image76
      MickiSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. ;-)

And as you probably know from your own testing, they're the SLOWEST things on the page (and why they load last on our Hubs).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)