The Army has an anti-suicide nasal spray.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. NateB11 profile image89
    NateB11posted 11 years ago

They commissioned a scientist to develop the nasal spray, it creates a feeling of well-being and euphoria, it's been used as an injection into the spine, but it's now been developed into a nasal spray. Due to the unprecedented rate of suicide among soldiers, this was what they decided was the solution. We've been at war for 11 years, it's taken a toll in more ways than one, and certainly it's destroying people; there will be damage for years to come. What do you think of this "solution", the nasal spray? http://rt.com/usa/news/us-army-anti-suicide-spray-036/

1. phion profile image61
      phionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the spray is bogus, and that there is no “solution” that can be found in some kind of drug. All anything of this sort does is num you to you world. That’s what some people want, so maybe there will be a market, but it won’t solve any of the real issues.

I don’t think the rate of suicide is unprecedented when you take into account all the new factors of today.

NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Certainly it is obvious that a drug is not going to solve the problem, only cover it up, which is what I was driving at. If the suicide rate is not unprecedented, then it must be that it's always been this horrific, which I'm sure is true. But it is also true in July, 38 soldiers committed suicide, there's been an average of a suicide a day, and there's been an 18% increase since last year; this year there's already 116 cases of suicide. More soldiers are killed by suicide than are killed in combat. If it's always been like that, then it's always been bad, to put it mildly; again, I don't doubt it. Though, the Army is saying it's the worst in their history. Although I am curious what the new factors are that would make these current rates of suicide among soldiers not unprecedented.

2. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is a solution for the symtoms and not the cure. It is not reasonable to expect people to live in a constant state of war and conflict. The toll is what the soldiers and vets have had for years. To introduce something that makes everything artificially alright is immoral.

We need to stop our conquering of the world as a policy and let people live as they wish. We started this slide towards world domination when we established Israel in someone elses homeland. We have had a slow progression towards these conflicts ever since.

2. profile image0
    HowardBThinameposted 11 years ago

Amazing.

Instead of figuring out why the military's suicide rate is higher today than ever in the past - the govt. just throws a little Jello at the wall and hopes it sticks.

Typically, when our soldiers feel as though their missions are not valuable the suicide rate increases. America's response to her military means a lot. The actions of the Commander-in-Chief are of vital importance.

A nose spray.

Like putting a bandaid on a severed limb.

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more.  In fact, I sort of think they should just hand every returning soldier a bottle of Jack  Daniels and a handful of vicodin.  That might give them a feeling of euphoria too, but it won't fix their broken hearts, broken bodies, broken homes, and broken lives.

Who the hell thinks of this stuff?

3. Healthy Pursuits profile image79
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

How about a military anti-suicide policy change? Like bringing the people home to their families, and not demanding that they stay in places where they can trust nobody and are constantly in danger of being shot or blown up? We need to get out of Afghanistan asap.

We've been at war for a helluva long time, and Iraq - while it made some people a lot of money - was a totally bogus war to begin with. Too many healthy young people have been crippled or killed. Having so many of them turning their anguish and despair against themselves should tell the people of the United States that it's time to bring them home!

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately the way it is going, they will not be coming home.  The government will create a new theater of conflict soon, not if but when is the question!

2. NateB11 profile image89

Yes, exactly. The problem is the war, the question is whether we should even be there; the question is not how these guys are coping, or trying to figure out how to keep them there or teaching them how to cope; we need to end the mess, bring them home,  and fix the damage. And, yes, that's true, they'll create another war instead.

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image79
        Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Washington, way back when, and Eisenhower, both of whom were generals and presidents, warned us about the military-industrial complex needing wars to sustain its power. We've been on that path for far too long.

4. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Wasn't there a thread on this topic yesterday?
    This seems to be an issue that crosses over the usual political lines.
    Hard to disagree this is an appalling practice.
    Like they're not already tanked up on all manner of antidepressants and antianxiety drugs already. Obviously the larger issue is not the brain chemistry of our troops. It's environmental.

Agree with all that's been said here.
    Would add my concern that temporary happy spray simply masks and postpones, rather than eliminates, the suicidal tendencies.

1. mythbuster profile image70
      mythbusterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep, there's already a thread on this topic around here somewhere.

2. phion profile image61
      phionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mighty Mommmm~
      From my personal experience, the hardest thing to swallow is the fact that American’s and our government have neither the heart or backbone to allow those of us who raise our right hand to serve to do what is needed to go war and win. Weather we go to war for Pearl Harbor or the World Trade Center; we should go to win and then come home to our families. Vietnam Vets know the pain that our present vets feel, but I can’t hope to explain it all here. ILMB. To insinuate that we are tanked up on all manner of antidepressants is very disrespectful, and lacks any kind of truth.

Side note…I was never tanked up on antidepressants, nor was any of those I served with as a sniper team leader, squad leader, or operations sergeant. As a master resiliency trainer, I began to notice, that the vast majority of those who were on these drugs had a lack of faith, an upbringing absent of adversity, and a family who coddled them while growing up.

5. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Just thought of another concern.
    Soliders in Vietnam became addicted to street drugs, either on tour or when they came home.
    Soldiers today are becoming drug dependent, too.
    Difference?
    It's the Army supplying the drugs.
    Prescribed, of course.
    Who wins when thousands of troops are tanked up on happy pills?
    Big Pharma!

No, I'm not generally a conspiracy theorist. But when dots are this easy to connect....
    roll

Yes, it's bad enough we even have children on heavy pharmaceuticals, including children of soldiers, then we will have a new one for soldiers to sedate themselves with, along with it probably being available to the rest of the population.

1. Mighty Mom profile image76
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's almost unAmerican not to be on pharmaceuticals!

6. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

I have a friend who works with suicidal vets at a VA medical center, and I will ask him about this nasal spray. To me this sounds like another one of those, "it's in the best interest of the military" payouts to a drug company to keep the political machine running. I'll bet each dose cost several thousand dollars. Since they can no longer pay $500 for a hammer, they have to waste that same money somewhere else, which gets back to them in ther form of political donations from the corporation the sells the drugs.

But this kind of logic isn't just centered around the military. Just look at how much fear there is in this country, and how many people are suddenly on anti-depressants. Almost as if they want a dumbed down, numbed down society. Basically a future of sheep to work for the corporate machine, and to fight off any society that might look better than ours, wether it does or not.

I am surprised we are not at war with Canada. But, I'm sure it's on the list.

Business, military, government; these things always seem to have corrupt connections. Yes, it's a nation unable to think clearly, doped up, and easily manipulated. No doubt about that.

7. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

Just to follow up. I asked my friend who works at the VA hospital in Battle Creek, MI about this nasal spray, and he looked at me like I was crazy. He says, and I quote. "If there is any treatment like that I am not aware of it." He also said that he wishes there was a treatment like that, because some of the men he treats are pretty messed up. He deals with a lot of vets returning from Iraq and Afganistan.

He highly doubts that there is any such nasal spray.

8. QudsiaP1 profile image61
    QudsiaP1posted 11 years ago

Medicine is such a scary thing; it appears that the more people know about it; the more they try to create something to control it. If there is a spray for anti suicide, there can be one for brain washing, one for turning people mad, one for creating zombies etc.

As humourous as my last line may seem; it is scary how the concept of freedom has turned into a need to make people think a certain way. I am sure there is a drug for that too.

9. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 11 years ago

Anybody know where I can get some of that stuff?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)