New Profile Design Live on Staff Pages

Jump to Last Post 51-98 of 98 discussions (327 posts)
  1. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 11 years ago

It is entirely possible that HubPages are taking our feedback into consideration.

And the profile page hasn't changed since 2009.

1. janderson99 profile image53
      janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

how about a poll? with box for each of features?

Hauntyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good idea. But I read the blog posts and they didn't ask for our opinions. On the plus side, they do hope we will like the new look. tongue

You are correct - no feedback sought - I'll shut up.

No reason to. Things may be set in stone, but we can still talk about them.

WHY?

Some Americans require a reason to talk. Noted, and no more senseless suggestions from me.

Thanks for the title. I will use it if I write the Hub.

2. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Usually, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."  We'll see.  But I do agree with you, Haunty, when it comes to profiles.  I am sure many people snored over my long version.  Who knows?  The thing is, you may put a lengthy profile out there, but chances are, the only way I am going to "meet" you is through your Hubs.

3. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Change simply for the sake of change is pointless.

Kind of just gave me a Hub idea. The Virtues of Change. My brother wrote his dissertation on the topic.

Here's a Title:
        You can't Stop Progress

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I just had a thought (yes, it was painful as usual).

I've actually gotten an ad-click on my profile page now and again.

I assume the absence of ads on the new profile is just a temporary beta thing.

I would not necessarily mind that ad being moved up to above the accolades, unless we know for a fact that Google would really hate that.

Come to think of it, why not an ad above the accolades and a 2nd ad in last place as usual. Again, only if there are no overwhelming reasons not to.

1. WriteAngled profile image75
      WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And a third ad in place of the accolades for those who do not need to stroke their egos by featuring a display of colourful and meaningless icons.

5. profile image0

I'm not a fan of accolades, either.  Well, "Que Sera, Sera" on the newest changes.  Time to switch gears and go work on my tan . . .

6. paradigmsearch profile image60

I hope our backgrounds can be animated. A pong game going on would be excellent! big_smile

7. Cristale profile image83
    Cristaleposted 11 years ago

It is similar to Facebook and Myspace, but it does add more character to get a feel for the hubber's personality while reading their profile. This is also more attractive and appealing to the eye.

8. profile image0

I simply cannot resist.  Don't forget to have Doris Day in the background.  "Whhhhhhatever will be, will beeeeeeeeeeeeeee."  It's okay to "let it all hang out."  Better than stuffing it and having it come out later!   Haunty, glad I gave you a Hub idea.  LOL!  Now, back to the valley heat!

9. Shopping-Online profile image64
    Shopping-Onlineposted 11 years ago

The New Profile Design looks wonderful. But I think the feature showing 'Similar Hubbers' take the spotlight away from the Hubbers Page. Also, Do others need to know when or how much time a Hubber spend on HubPages?

10. wavegirl22 profile image50
    wavegirl22posted 11 years ago

So why are you still here?

Maybe you should rethink this thought, for if what you are writing, whether it be on a blog, on twitter, facebook, your Hubs or in any forum, it sure should be showing your best light.

You are kidding, right?

11. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

How about this:  adhere to the K.I.S.S. Principle!  There are too many changes happening too fast.  Slow down, and let one round settle in before mucking about with stuff again. If you don't, you'll never be able to suss out which change caused a drop or gain in traffic or revenue. 

I like the idea proposed by one of the others (too many posts for me to recall their name--sorry), that the new features be added only as individually selectable options folks can choose (or not) to add to their existing profiles, item by item and not in a batch!

That said, I have to agree with what seems to be a fairly consistent sentiment that the forum posts are essentially private conversations between Hubbers, and as such, none of the public's business!  Do not display them on the profiles, please!

I also agree strongly with those who have complained about the "show similar" hubbers.  Not many hubbers are "similar" to any other.  A few may have specific niches in which they write, but there are many more (such as myself) who address a wide variety of topics.  We cannot be fitted into any particular niche.  We are interested in variety.
    Also valid is the related complaint that the profile is our one remaining sanctuary, if you will, where we can tell our story, and link only to that which we choose (and can link!), is more important than promoting other hubs at that point.  Other hubs are already promoted on each of our individual hubs, and for some of us, that's a lot of hubs.  I have over 200 at this point; I know others have many more!  That should be plenty of advertising for the other hubbers.  (No offense meant to any of the other great hubbers whom I follow and admire and whose writing I enjoy--I simply think the profile page is the wrong place for those promos.)

I'm not going to opt for the new look, because what concerns me is this:  if I try it, and don't like it, I fear being locked in, and unable to go back.  If it eventually comes to pass that we no longer have a choice, that will be a different matter. (By that time, I may have moved on to publishing e-books, anyway.)  But the possibility of being unable to change back if we hate it...just means that I (and probably many others) are not going to opt in to try it out.

12. wavegirl22 profile image50

I would love to know where it is written that forum posts are private conversions ?

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They're not private, but I don't see why they should be thrust in the reader's face on our profiles. If people really want to see our forum posts, they can go to our hubtivity.

1. wavegirl22 profile image50
        wavegirl22posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bingo! Of course they are not private and the reason that they are not is because they are a public forum. If privacy is what some are looking for there are various private groups one can partake in. Here on Hubpages we write on an open platform. This is not high school with popularity contests. Maybe a reader came across a Hub and saw that the writer was active in the forums and may be engaged in deeper conversations about the topic they are searching for.

I wonder who 'these people' you are referring to here are. Isnt the forum another great area where you can shine with the knowledge you have, that relates to you as a writer and more importantly to your writing?

1. profile image0

Again, I don't see why forum posts should go on our profiles. The majority of forum posts here aren't about deeper stuff - like most forums, they're 90% fluff and 10% "deep". For prolific posters, that's a lot of fluff to clog up the feed on their profile. The space taken up by the feed would be better used for material that isn't already part of the hubtivity. With the new profile design, you've effectively got the hubtivity appearing twice which makes NO sense at all to me given that some useful material has been removed from the profile.

Great point! Don't forget that only threads you start will appear on your profile. This should make people think twice before starting silly threads, which might reduce the amount of fluff. Everyone takes responsibility for their own stuff.

1. profile image0

@Haunty & RebekahElle: I didn't realise it was just the threads you'd started that would appear on your profile feed - true, it does make it a bit less busy(!)

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Only the forum threads that you initiate appear on the default profile feed, not all of your forum posts.  I thought the same thing until someone corrected me earlier in the thread.

I don't think it's as much an issue as is being made on this thread.  Probably the majority of profile views are from hubbers or from sites where we may have posted in a forum or blog. 

We can highlight hubs of our choice which is great.

+1
              But I think there are quite a few that do not understand that the way one conducts themselves is ultra important. Why they can not see that the forums are an added bonus to add more to your authority to your work.

3. wavegirl22 profile image50

what useful material has been removed?

Search content by author

do you do this often?

In almost 3 years I have never used that feature, and I really do not think that organic traffic does either. But I could be wrong.

Personally I think the new layout is awesome. And before they roll it out site wide I am sure they will get the kinks out. Until then constructive criticism is great but when people come on here moaning and groaning about all that is wrong and how they are losing writers yada yada yada, I just feel that is when I feel the need to speak up.

Things are going to change. Accept it. Maybe even try to grow. It can be so enlightening even beneficial to go with the flow.

1. profile image0

I do

is there a benefit for your fellow hubbers when you do this?

2. Haunty profile image73

Yes, this feature has been most useful to me as I like to refer back to information I read in the past. This made it easy to find it again. I will just use Google for this purpose from now on.

I love the new profile, btw.

2. Sally's Trove profile image78
                Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. I left a kind of long-winded post in this thread about that already.

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2145783

Eliminating this feature is a big mistake.

2. Alternative Prime profile image56
          Alternative Primeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, much of the activity here at HP could easily be described as a "High School Popularity Contest", but that's another in depth issue for another time - For now, let's simply address the "Forum" issue -

I understand we currently have some serious interaction underway within said chat rooms, however, forums are traditionally designed primarily for casual conversation not necessarily nor exclusively for in depth, authoritative entries such as Hubs - Therefore, members are typically welcomed and encouraged to participate in forums even if the subject matter "Fluffily Discussed" within said venue is outside the realm of expertise of any given individual -

Hence, virtually zero consistent correlation between "Authoritative Credentials" as publisher, and casual forum banter - Unless of course, there is a future rule amendment implemented to restrict forum participation exclusively to expert contributors, and I don't really think HP is interested in "Participation Reduction" -

Solution - Just to reiterate once again - Incorporate all the new proposed features into the current, unaltered "Profile Page" edit screen, as it functions now, thereby empowering all members to customize a specific, unique look and feel by selecting each individual application or no applications at all - It's the only feasible, common sense remedy to achieve 100% HP co-owner satisfaction - Anything less than a "Buffet of Choice" will leave thousands of members less than enthusiastic, and anything less than freedom of choice is absolutely an exercise in absurdity -

The fear of empowering members in favor of absolute conformity is astoundingly ludicrous -

If any or all members would like to custom build a Profile Page which consist primarily of "Exits" leading away from their site and conveniently into another venue,  let them "CHOOSE" to do so by assembling a page conducive to their wishes - My Profile Page will consist of precision focus on my hard work, and nothing else -

Hubpages gives us the ability to feature our best work in a carousel. They allow us to choose a custom background that reflects our personality. They highlight all facets of our activity on the new profile by displaying our Hubs, Forum threads, and Questions.

I don't understand your statement here. What fear and what conformity?

1. Alternative Prime profile image56

That's fine Haunty, but you're missing the overriding point -

Nobody is trying to dissuade you, wavegirl22, or anybody else from an apparent deep infatuation with the experimental profile page which was designed as a generic one size fits all, and you should enjoy it with great enthusiasm, however, like everything else, there are those who share your sentiment, and of course others who do not - Some members like the idea of a carousel, and others don't etc -

My point is the following - Why imply a "Take it or Leave it Attitude" toward those who do not wish to participate in the experimental Profile Page? - Does it really equate to good business sense or practice to intentionally alienate a large percentage of members in favor of pleasing the rest such as yourself? -

Why not please everyone by deploying an "Opt In" choice - The current Profile Page already has incorporated options for members to choose from and adding a few more without disturbing the overall aesthetic integrity should be an easy task for talented Tech-Tonics -  I really don't understand how anyone could argue with this common sense solution -

It's just astonishing how some individuals want to simply force their personal ideals upon others when a simple remedy is available -

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It was late, and I was tired.  I didn't mean "private" in that no one else can see them; only that even though they are visible to the public should they choose to visit the forums, they cannot participate without being a member.  In that sense, the forums are "private."  Perhaps restricted would have been a better word choice.
        In any case, since a good deal of what goes on in the forums is concerning issues Hubbers may have with the site, or requests for help with a particular hub, it strikes me that the forums are probably of little interest to "outsiders," and the forum post log should not be something to which "organic" traffic is quickly directed.  My position remains:  l do not believe the forum posts should be shown on our profiles.
          Come to think of it, maybe they should be made private, for Hubbers' eyes only--think about it--a lot of griping and grousing goes on in here--what kind of a site advertisement is that for others who may be looking for a place to write?

- Well said DML -

2. Peggy W profile image94
          Peggy Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is my point exactly.  This could turn off potential writers from wishing to participate in HP, I am thinking.  I think that our hubs should be the focus.

I really do like being able to feature some of our own hubs in a prominent spot and then change them at will.  That is a great new feature!

2. Millionaire Tips profile image92
      Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you DrMsLizzy, the forum posts is where I hang out with fellow hubbers.  It is like the teacher's lounge.  The students aren't supposed to know and don't really care about what is going on in there.

The hubs are my public space where I read everything twice to make sure that I present myself the way I want to be presented.

You write on line. Therefore you should understand that every word you type should be an honorable and professional representation of who and what you are all about. Again this is not high school, there is no teachers lounge nor is there a student body.

There are distinct differences between "Honorable & Professional Representation" and "Authoritative Credebility" -

and your point is?

It's in my words -

I really don't have the time to rehash this whole thing over again - You can simply discount my response if you wish -

13. Pamela N Red profile image84
    Pamela N Redposted 11 years ago

Looking forward to it, I think it will add some style to our profile page.

14. wavegirl22 profile image50

Yes and there is a place for that, I think here on Hubpages it is called the sandbox. Interesting name to say the least these days. No one I know around here wants to be caught in the sandbox.

And to your hence I say, if you want to be taken seriously as a writer in these parts, namely the internet, Make a good name for yourself. I do not think I need to go further into this as I think my point was made. You are right, Hubpages, I am sure does not want to see "Participation Reduction". But I would bet they would love to see intelligent conversation and a reduction of people moaning, demanding and threatening. If others do not like the changes that have happened and will continue to happen, well we both know what they can do. Take your content and go elsewhere or create their own sites and then they can have their profile look anyway they want. Constructive criticism  I am sure is always welcome around these parts, some just dont know where that line is drawn.

This is not your call or any other Hubber that writes here. Again I reiterate we can and should voice our opinions and try to give positive feedback. Personally I think there is much to be said about uniformity. If it is that Buffet of Choice you are looking for, there are a million places anyone can go for it.

15. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

I suppose the point of a forum then is just to go with the flow.  Why not have a big VOTE UP button and perhaps a kiss my ass accolade as well?

To be honest, there's nothing that pisses me off more than the happy-clappy brigade complaining about the less than positive responses.

There are some things some people don't like about changes, whatever change it happens to be, and they are currently entitled to express their opinion.

If HubPages was full of morons who only want to serve it might be different.  But it isn't.  Some of the writers on here are actually quite intelligent and they like the idea of expressing their opinion, no matter how fruitless it may be.

It clears the air, lets out a little tension.

My pet gripe is the Similar Authors.  I can't wait for the usual garbage of drivel output advertising useless product for people who can't afford it to appear next to my stuff.

But wait! I hear you say.  If I don't like it why don't I piss off?

Because I DO like it - the software is great, most of the people are great and I'm slowly learning how to make the odd dollar.  And I can have a rant on the forums occasionally.

Definitely need a picture for the positive thinkers....

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6888728_f248.jpg

If only more people ranted like you this would be such a better place. But see thats where the difference is. You rant and express yourself. I have never seen you whine, moan or kvetch. I would rather be part of the happy clappy brigade then the wendy whiners.

A smile is always attractive and positive. KInda like your avatar. Rant on Mark, rant on. You do it with class and you usually make me smile.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh gosh, thanks.  Now I feel like a meany...

Mark Ewbie -

Your apparent implications that some members are merely resisting "Change" because they don't like "Change" is way off the mark -

Let's not try to trivialize or divert attention away from the deeper underlying issues with such a trite, immensely inaccurate assertion - A good comedian you are, a master mind reader you're obviously not -

Attempting to characterize the many dissenters with such a broad, generalized statement such as "You Just Don't Like Change" is extremely old school and a flawed, invalid statement which certainly does not apply to yours truly and I would assume does not apply to others who are not happy with the experimental profile page -

16. profile image0

Precious as always, Mark!  I got my "rant on" done earlier, so I am back to the business of writing.  Or is that considered a hobby in my retired state of California?  Anyway, it's the same thing as last time.  We get addressed as "Beautiful Hubbers," the information/changes comes out, this thread is up, and life goes on.  No, as writers, we are not similar, but since real estate is getting smaller on this site, I figured it was a marketing ploy.  I mean, if you didn't like me as a writer in the first place, why would you want someone SIMILAR???  We had to go with whatever last time, and this time is no different.  I am glad I don't depend on online work to make a living out of it.  I couldn't deal with the constant changes.

Arlene-  I must say that every now and then when I do pop in to the forums I say my peace for good or for bad. Some people probably do not like my bluntness and some may appreciate it for what its worth. And sometimes I get lucky, and I stumble upon a hubber I never may have encountered had I not come in. And today you were my gift. I just read a few of your Hubs and I was treated to a wealth of some great tips, tricks and delicious recipes..

Sorry if I came off hard this morning but sometimes the crinks just have to be worked out and if we all bond together it just seems to go so much smoother. Sure, change is not always easy or welcomed but it is a constant and we all need to adapt. Honestly once the new profile rolls out I cant wait to see what you do with yours, I am sure it is going to be just as beautiful as all the work you have put forth!

On occasion, I've also discovered the unique talents of members by wandering into chat forums here and elsewhere, and have actually passed on respective names to acquaintances who have fashioned rather successful careers out of furthering the interests of "Internet Entertainers" - Currently, gaining access to these HP venues is a rather simple task accomplished by either entering through the tab labeled "Forums', or even through any given number of portals located at the bottom portion of a distinguished "Profile Page" -

So I'm not quite sure how you connect your comment to the experimental design other than the fact that it will be much easier for a visitor to exit a specific profile page owned by an active forum member when the experimental exercise is broadened to a massively wider scope & scale -

By now, the idea is "Fait Accompli" and presumably accepted as fact, but I'm still a little perplexed as to why there is always a tiny group of frantic members echoing what seems to be the same "sales pitch" of conformity and compliance with their specific ideals in an obvious attempt to convince others of their "Rightness". or even force feed their opinions unto others - "I like this change so you must like it too" - On the surface, it just appears to be very suspicious activity and uncovering what the motivation is for such rabid engagement would be an interesting side project -

Everyone realizes the fact that there was a painfully simplistic solution to the pending problem as I proposed - Just shovel all the new applications into the "Edit Screen" without altering or disturbing the current aesthetics or functions, and then allow all members to customize an individual page by selecting features they feel are applicable and would compliment their unique style, ability, and vision - Simple solution to what could turn out to be a haunting future issue - HP could have achieved 100% member satisfaction by implementing this common sense approach verses alienating the masses who prefer to exercise unique creative talent to build a customized profile page

1. profile image0

"The Psychology of Conformity in Internet Communities"

Good PhD for someone there, I think.

Possibly good reading but not so good business practice

17. profile image0

A+++, DzyMsLizzy!

18. Alternative Prime profile image56
    Alternative Primeposted 11 years ago

I have a brief question -

Other than "Take It Or Leave It", or simply "Cancel Out Your Membership", which are essentially the two most popular mantras espoused by those members who seem to be completely satisfied with the experimental profile page, I'm not quite sure if HP Staff would echo the same sentiment, what other viable solution(s) would anyone like to suggest to all individuals who are not necessarily satisfied?

Here's what I think would be best (in regard to the new profile):

* Give the option to write a longer bio and display a teaser with a "read more" link that leads to an inline pop-up window with the full bio.

* Give the Search Content by Author feature back.

* Make the content sortable by Hubs, Forums, Answers or add new tabs for Forums and Answers thus separating the different types of content entirely.

1. profile image0

Sounds good to me. And let people put links to their other sites in their full bios, and either eliminate the "Similar Hubbers" bit altogether or at least let people pick their own "Similar Hubbers". The new layout looks really nice (particularly with the customisable background) - it was just a shame to lose the useful bits that were there before.

1. Will Apse profile image88
          Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interlinking hub profiles is probably good SEO.

I would go for 'If you liked so and so you might also like: list of hubbers.

19. profile image0

Alternative Prime, you have brought up many points through your posts on this Forum.  It is obvious to me that you value your current profile page, and want the option of keeping it.  I understand!  Last night, it was suggested that you make your concerns known to ADM staff.  As many times as you attempted to voice your opinion here, you would have better luck contacting staff and zeroing in on your concerns.  Don't expect any miracles when it comes to Forum threads.  It is what it is.  Take your concerns to the people who could possibly do something about what you want done.

20. ktrapp profile image93
    ktrappposted 11 years ago

I just noticed the "Show" filter. That is a great feature!

1. jacharless profile image75
      jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

...and the mutual followers. Like HubTweets!

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't notice that either. You are right. It is excellent!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

@HP. There's plenty of room.  Maybe expand it from "Show" to "Show by Topic"? smile

2. ktrapp profile image93
        ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it's newly added.

I don't think those 6 little, grey rectangles were in the carousel either at first.

And now both them and the green arrows are gone again. The adventure continues... big_smile

And now it's 6 little grey circles. Ya know, this might take awhile...big_smile

21. profile image0

k, I hope you have a Hub explaining all of this.  You are always finding new things.  Wish I had your skills, but I have to admit I am doing a little better than 12 months ago.

22. profile image0

"How to Navigate the New HubPages Profile Design."

23. ktrapp profile image93
    ktrappposted 11 years ago

Micki S.

I was looking at Paul E's profile in a few different browsers. I noticed two problems - one with the 'show' filter and the other with a missing image next to a hub replaced by the title.

Here are the details:

IE 9:
    - Full bio shows by default (no 'read more')
    - Show filter does not work  - the list of categories does not open
    - The hubs don't keep loading automatically, but rather there are pages numbers to see more (this is sort of nice because the footer is fixed and links on it can be clicked)
    - "hot" and "best" don't sort - page reloads but list remains on "latest"

Chrome 20:
    - Bio is shown with 'read more' link as intended
    - Show filter works but if you go to Paul E's profile and open up Health there seems to be a problem with the Mexican Coca Cola Hub at the bottom. The image doesn't show, but in its place is the title
    - Hubs auto load as intended, but it's difficult to get to the footer if the list of hubs is lengthy

Firefox 13:
    - Behaves like Chrome, also noticed the same issue with the Mexican Coca Cola Hub image replaced with the title

I wondered if the ever-loading page was a bug. I use Chrome and everything just goes onto the one page which is obviously not sensible. If the internet explorer set up is the intended one that will be much better.

All in all,I reckon this page will please Facebook-style feed lovers (when HP get it right) and leave crusty oldsters like me horrified by the pointless jumble.

So it goes...

1. ktrapp profile image93

Oops ... I shouldn't have used the words "as intended."

24. paradigmsearch profile image60

And I swear I saw one of those blue butterflies move...

25. profile image0

wavegirl22, where you at???  Could we meet over coffee or a meal and DISH???  Thank you so much.  I am so touched by your honesty.  As a former reporter and prison guard, I admire anyone who speaks her mind, and writing is certainly not for those who don't have the guts to speak up.  No, you are my gift.  I needed your comment, today.  The wildfires have taken over north of Sacramento, and we are all waiting for it to be contained.  I have family and friends who have been evacuated, but the weather is not cooperating.  I am a very positive person, but about 1,300 acres have been consumed so far, and we have over 1,800 firefighters fighting this blaze.  I haven't been able to write any Hubs.  Writing usually saves me, but certainly not this time.  Again, thank you so much for your kind words.  I'm sure everything will be okay when it comes to this new profile page.  There is no excuse for my behavior on this current Forum, but I am close to tears most of the time.  I understand that everything on Earth is expendable, but it saddens me that the beauty of the forest will not return in years.  And the people who consider this area as their sanctuary may lose everything they have.  I did not feel like you were being hard this morning, and I am certainly not offended.  Everyone has the right to express themselves on the Forum.  And, in real life.  Plus, my former life in prison has given me the edge over most folk on the outside.  I have been called every name in the book by my inmates and ward for 10 years, and if people are angry at me, they can get in line!

About 8 hours south from you!  I am planning on taking a trip up the coast in the next few months so I would love to DISH with you smile And I am serious!!!!!!

Who is everyone but you ! To be honest after reading your profile yesterday I am not surprised you are so against this new page.Your profile is like a thesis so it is no wonder why you cant embrace this change. It is not going to be an easy task to adapt what you have now into what is going to be but it is what it is and all your rhetoric is not going to change it. Makes me think of a frog. If a frog if placed in a pan of boiling water he will jump out,but if submerged in cold water that is heated very slowly,the frog won't jump out and will actually allow itself to be cooked to death.

The choice is yours.

26. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 11 years ago

Thank you so much! I am looking forward to using all of them. I stand and awe as always with Hubpages! smile

27. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

There is a 'read more' link which simply opens up to the full bio.    You can see it on Paul E's profile.

In regard to some of the comments about conformity.... I'm not following how the new profile page equates to conformity.   I'm looking forward to creating my new profile.  We can switch out the hubs we feature on the carousel and use the bio section to share what we want others to know.   HP has given us plenty of advance notice of these changes and Terms of Use states conditions of how the site operates, starting with Term 1.  I think HP listens closely to the community and has adapted some of their intended changes to the site.

I do have a question in regard to signing up referrals.  Will this still be available on our profile page?

I asked MickiS about links earlier in this forum and she responded that we would not be able to include clickable links, so I don't think we will be able to sign up referrals this way.

1. WriteAngled profile image75
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

HP does not wish us to promote anything other than other people's hubs

1. lrohner profile image68
          lrohnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This.

If you really sit back and take a look at the exhaustive list of changes HP has made recently, you will quite clearly see that a few months ago, they finally realized that they can't do a darn thing about external traffic, so they started to focus on internal traffic.

The HP ads are probably what's keeping them afloat right now. Since they've publicized their traffic trends on Quantcast, they need to stabilize the downward trend if they want to bring on new advertisers. What better way to do that than to get us looking at each others' hubs?

Unfortunately, any decent marketing department will eventually catch on that the impressions/clicks aren't helping their bottom line.

1. profile image0

Ah. Suddenly the rationale behind all these changes makes sense, but sadly not in a good way.

Getting people to engage with the site more can never be a bad thing.

2. Haunty profile image73

Thanks, Rebekah. I can see it now. I just assumed there was no way to compose a longer bio based on some of the discussion that had gone down in this thread.

3. Alternative Prime profile image56

rebekah -

"Terms of Service" do not necessarily exempt a company from operating an entity in strict compliance with ethical and legal standards -

"The right to do something" and "Doing the right thing" are severely diverging values" -

Regressing back to my original point, I still fail to see a valid reason as to why the most simplistic solution consisting of loading all new features into the existing profile page "Edit Screen", thereby empowering all unique members to customize a layout according to their own personal creative vision is such a demonically evil thing -

Why do you and a few others appear to be so adamant about resisting the introduction of a common sense "HP Buffet of Choices" which will enable each member to exercise inherent freedom of choice? - It's truly astonishing to me -

Why? Because its a fixed menu - there won't be a buffet. One fits all.

Amen!

I get it janderson99 - Individuality takes a subordinate position to a fixed, non-flexible ideal -

Well, things are picking up. This is the first post you have made that I managed to understand.

It feels an awful lot like a setup, but I'll respond anyway - Will A., if you're addressing me, I will reply by expressing sorrow to hear that shortcomings apparently prevent you from adequate English language digestion and comprehension, but I'm confident most forum participants understand exactly what I write -

But stick around, you might slowly gain a free higher education in no time, thereby allowing you to expand conversational horizons which might have been previously suppressed by an apparent inability to effectively engage - The tightly locked gates of knowledge attainment will then be forced open with the magnificent mighty thrust of a Niagra Rush -

Guess I should expect a response in a few days? - Never mind, no response is necessary - Sorry Will, but I simply couldn't resist - Let the record show, Will A. approached me unsolicited wielding a hidden razor sharp syber saber in hand only to be met with a response in kind to rightfully defend my highly esteemed, untarnished, pristinely maintained "HP Honor & Integrity" -

So, what's your preference Will? Freedom of expression or strict conformity? -

2. janderson99 profile image53

HP runs a business with 20(?) staff - its their call.

2. jacharless profile image75

Because HubPages is not WordPress CMS where ultimate user manipulation is necessary to validate excellent content and redundant ad-sharing revenue generation modals. So, a sub.domain Edit Screen, aka admin, is essentially not appropriate for this type of site.

The HP Member "Profile Page" already has an "Edit" feature where certain visual displays can be manipulated via on/off switch -

28. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

I've been trying to check out a lot of staff profiles before offering feedback, but due to my current location it has been difficult.  So far I have only seen 3-4.  My opinion is similar to what some others have expressed.

"Similar Hubbers" absolutely needs to be reworded. Since length is the issue, what about "You may also like:"? It has nearly the same number of characters.  On the other hand, "Similar Hubbers" actually reads "Similar to [X Hubber]" - but "You may also like" would not actually have to include the name of the profiled Hubber.

Please use separate tabs for Hubs ["Articles"], Forums started, and Questions and Answers. In looking at the staff profiles so far, I have found it to be extremely distracting to have all of the content jumbled together, when I am looking for a specific type of content. If the content types are in separate sections, it is easy enough to search the various tabbed sections, if a reader wishes to browse in that way. But it is not so easy to separate them out (currently) if a reader knows the type of content they wish to search.

I do not like having "Last Activity" posted so prominently.  I don't understand the value of it. Being active recently does not absolutely correlate with high quality or even with being a valuable, contributing member of HP, although it seems to imply that. Since the information is available through Hubtivity, why not allow people to search for it there, as is done now?

(I have more opinions to express, but I'll do that later. Thanks, over and out.)

+1 and then some!

29. profile image0

A+++.

30. profile image0

LMAO!  Will, your statement was simply precious.

31. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

"I'm confident most forum participants understand exactly what I write"

I pick up the general meaning of it which I think is sufficient. 

My understanding is you are not impressed with the new HP profile page.

Someone on this thread mentioned a three word profile, which is an interesting thought.

"Unfunny jokes" I'm going for mine, which leaves space for an extra word at some point.

32. paradigmsearch profile image60

I just discovered that Omurice is Simone's favorite food in the world. I now know what to bribe her with to get back on her Similar Hubbers list. big_smile

Wow!Thanks for that, paradigmsearch. I will have to make it tomorrow. big_smile

33. jacharless profile image75
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

Sorry to sound like a neg here, but, from experience:

Site uniformity is extremely important to search engine indexing, as well as visitor navigation/experience  and advertising measures. So, if everyone "did their own" thing or stylizing, HubPages would become -well WordPress. They need to keep everything even, across the board to retain rank, rating, volume, revenue and more importantly, writer ease and functionality.

We should trust the digital engineers {biased, yes, as I am one} to position/display site elements that visitors would appreciate or react to the most, not just what the Hubber wants. Team HP have four sets of eyes to satisfy at the same time {search engine, visitor, hubber, advertiser} and they already know this.

"If we didn't know what we were doing as digital engineers, the internet would go out of business."
    James

Well stated James!

2. janderson99 profile image53

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6898140_f248.jpg

34. Trish_M profile image80
    Trish_Mposted 11 years ago

I second these suggestions smile

35. Alternative Prime profile image56
    Alternative Primeposted 11 years ago

jacharless,

Unfortunately, if what you have previously articulated are indeed your true beliefs, you and HP Staff seem to be at extremely distant odds with a divergence wider than the gap between the Romneys offshore bank accounts, and the U. S. Trust Account which holds rightfully collected tax monies -

There appears to be a major contradiction and or discrepancy between your opinions and or beliefs, and those of HP staff members who have previously expressed in no uncertain terms, that there is absolutely zero correlation or connection between "Page Aesthetics" including alterations, modifications, or changes there of, despite the magnitude or scope, and other aspects such as article placement and promotion within the vast universe of information exchange & retrieval -

If HP Staff were to unanimously agree with your unsubstantiated opinions, it would undoubtedly equate to a major shift in sentiment taking place within a few short months -

1. jacharless profile image75

And, I reiterate:
      and if that happened, your esteemed, upper echelon digitized virtuality would not exist. smile

You really should argue your points with HP Staff and not yours truly, for they have decisively discounted your prognostication and theory if we are to believe past forum comments -

The HP "Profile Page" edit screen does indeed exist and has been in action for as long as I've been a member - Shoveling newly developed functions and features such as the "Carousel of Magical Mystical Wonders" into the holding tank should be a relatively easy task, thereby fostering 100% member flexibility, creativity, and of course satisfaction -

However, the experimental "Profile Page" appears to be fait accompli' as mentioned previously, so evidently member satisfaction is of secondary or even tertiary priority with strict uniformity placed atop the list -

1. brakel2 profile image72
          brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wish everyone would just chill out. Life is too short to spend time on this forum having endless arguments over the profile page. I think HP has the idea now about how hubbers feel. It is depressing to run the subject into the ground and serves no purpose. I like everyone on HP, and I like peace..

1. Sally's Trove profile image78

I agree. Just let it rest. HP takes input from its members when it wants to, and doesn't when it doesn't want to. Enough is enough. It's their business, and we can tag along as we want to or not.

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm as chill as a chinchilla who just received a "Stay" - Just toweled off from a slammin' rendezvous with the sizzling Pacific Ocean -

What's wrong with a little healthy debate even if the subject matter gets drilled so far down toward the center of the earth it ends up all the way back around to pierce a rear end?

Actually, in all seriousness, this is an extremely important topic for all co-owners such as yours truly and others, who have invested a significant amount of time, energy, and resources over the course of several years, targeted at building a legitimate, professionally authored, highly respected individualistic presence here at HP - An investment which deserves respect in kind -

Massive changes which can and will inevitably jeopardize all the aforementioned resources invested is indeed serious business and taken as such by many members, while others who may have not put in the hard work and hours, might simply take everything in stride - There are of course several other underlying issues, but a focus on this specific item is the most pressing I would assume -

Just a common sense question - If you're not interested in discussing the forum topic or you become depressed at the mere thought, why come in?

36. paradigmsearch profile image60

I predict it is this week.

1. jeolmoz2 profile image56
      jeolmoz2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Inside info?

Nah, I just have a sense about some things...

1. jeolmoz2 profile image56
          jeolmoz2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. Sally's Trove profile image78

"it" meaning?

We will be unleashed on the new profile.

37. profile image0

I expressed my views when this thread first started, and have gone on with my life.  Que Sera, Sera.  Whatever happens, I'll roll with it because HubPages IS a BUSINESS, and they can run it as they PLEASE.  It helps to complain and express yourself instead of stuffing it, but at the same time, I will put a time limit on my pissing and moaning.  Then, I move on.  There are a lot of gifted writers on this site, and many of them have took the time to help me out.  I am pretty loyal, and I'm not leaving anytime soon.

I understand your comment was generalized, but I think you might have "Pissing & Moaning" confused with a robust expression of "Legitimate Concerns" Arlene -

I don't understand why those individuals who seem to be bored or disenchanted with the subject matter walk right in and proceed to try to convince others who may be just getting started, to cease their indulgence in conversation -

38. profile image0

I have a life, Alternative Prime.  Over and over and over again, you have beat this dead horse of yours and have constantly announced to the Forum that your solution is the best for all of us.  Good luck with that.  Now excuse me while I go shampoo my hair.  Go ahead and run the show.  You're a legend in your own mind.

FYI Arlene -

Even though I do work with a few individuals who might be considered as "Legends" by the general public, I've never proclaimed that status for my own, however, I am by trade, a well respected, professional, expertly competent writer / photographer / artist who spends part time hours publishing and launching finished projects via the HP user friendly platform, and if this site ceases to exist, I and many others who have invested significant time and resources will have done so at a substantial cost not to be recouped -

I understand you and possibly even other HP members, who might have ulterior motives, may not appreciate nor be interested in my HP contributions and that's perfectly fine, however, the massive amount of positive feedback I receive on a daily basis from unique online global visitors, and those of whom I meet and teach in person in the West Los Angeles area, who learn a few things and become a little more educated while enjoying a unique visual experience is what really matters -

Unfortunately, there seems to be a small orchestrated effort by a select few members who roam the HP community with the explicit intent to discredit or discourage the best and most talented members such as myself, and conversely, these same individuals try to "Pump Up" mediocre and sub-par articles authored by favored or "Clicke" individuals by applying over zealous comments exhibiting excessively exuberant praise even if said article is not worthy of such adulation - And this is fine as well, I understand the game and it's not my job to enforce ethical or legal standards -

A celebration of mediocrity or even sub-standard values and downplay of professionalism - I'm not to sure how this advances the overall HP cause -

I sincerely hope this is the last word on the subject -

You are far too modest. You could use a third of the words and still qualify as a legend as far as I am concerned.

I know Will, you're one of those "Short n' Sweet" kinda guys - When writing of course -

See, with a reputation like that, the distinction of "Legend" can't be too far behind can it? -

Writing is a passion, what can I say? -

"Spare the word, loose the herd" -

Just to be serious, for a moment. I respect the fact that you have dug in and refused to be deterred, More importantly, you have not descended into personal abuse, And so far, your head has not exploded (always a strong plus in a forum).

The real issue is: do you want to communicate and influence debate here or do you prefer self-indulgence?

Right now, your style will alienate the vast majority of readers even if it pleases you. Mainly because they are making the effort to understand what you are saying and you are making it very difficult for them.

It is entirely up to you.

By the way, I like your palm trees. If they were crotchets it would be Beethoven's Third.

Come on Will A., eveyone knows your a big guy in all the right places where it counts -

However, you seem to be in the minority around here as it relates to basic English Language Comprehension - Nobody else seems to find it a difficult task to extract the overriding opinion and suggestion nestled within my somewhat "Animated", at times excessively exuberant or abstract approach to forum comments -

Perhaps I've alienated the only true "Alien" amongst us who is Will Apse? Can you please whip out your massive brain and prove it is larger than the average "Greys" and no greener than HP Staff? - Come on Will, snap out of it, you gotta admit that was pretty good for "Off the Cuff" at 8:00 A.M. while perched atop the tallest palm in my avatar?? And I'm sure HP Staff would vehemently disagree with my latest script entry -

Back to reality, I think I've made it quite clear with respect to what I believe is the only logical solution - At the risk of attaining dubious designation of redundancy, here it is once again for the exclusive benefit of Will Apse, Alienated Alien who happens to be enormously endowed in all the "RIGHT" quadrants even though it is to the detriment of, well you know -

All the proposed changes to the experimental Profile Page should have been bundled tightly together and incorporated into the current "Edit" screen as it stands now, without altering the current profile page "Cosmetics, Aesthetics, or Metrics", which would have then allowed each individual member to "Pick & Choose" which feature(s) if any, he / she wished to apply to his / her profile page -

Like at the RIO Buffet in Vegas - I don't really like Pork Ribs smothered in slurpy sloshy spiced up devil sauce from the depths, but I do prefer a freshly captured and served Shellfish indulgence -

Is there anything else I can help you with which will allow us to synchronize, harmonize, and understand each other for mutual benefit?

1. Aficionada profile image80
                Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Incorrect. Will is probably the only one who is capable of expressing what numerous readers feel in a manner that is both direct and gentlemanly. I, for one, would very likely be banned if I expressed my opinion of your writing.

The reality is that a lot of readers may not feel it to be worth their time to wade through the excessive verbiage for the minimal valuable content that may or may not be present.  Rather like sloshing through slop to look for a diamond, only to discover that it is actually a rhinestone.  And tarnished, at that.

Said by a woman who penned the longest comment on the page - ??? ---> ??? But let's not get into a discussion pertaining to the "Epitome of Hypocrisy" -

Just curious, are you Will A's agent or wife? If the answer is no, then why did you feel the burning desire to read a comment which obviously had nothing to do with you? I understand this is open interaction for all, but why take the precious time to read my lengthy entries if they are not intriguing? Evidently something within my writings have peaked your interest otherwise why bother?

From my initial impression, I believe Will is a BIG boy highly capable of expressing his own feelings or opinions here within the casual setting of a chat forum without the need to endure such rude interruptions as yours, whether your questionable intentions are to coach him, encourage him, or for whatever reason -

I assume you will now be policing all forums in search of violations of your personal "Word Count Maximum" criteria and will issue citations to all other members who happen to post lengthy comments, entries of which you evidently vehemently oppose? - Will you start by issuing a citation to yourself for writing your last, rather lengthy comment? -

FYI - Will A and I were simply engaging in a robust, somewhat humorous conversation with respect to the experimental Profile Page, a bilateral dialogue which was somewhat diverted off into the realm of simple English Language Comprehension after he articulated a difficulty understanding basic entries - Then, without invitation nor warning, you come along and stick your snooty, snippety lip right in between Will's expression of "Wrongness" and my reply of "Rightness" - If Will A is feeble, unable to communicate effectively and he relies on a guardian such as yourself, my apologies, but someone should have given me a heads up -

P.S. - I'm not trying to out "Word Count"" you and I don't have an official tally, but your comment at page bottom seems to have out "Verbiaged" mine by at least a few sensational sentences - I guess your allegiance to, and worship of brevity and succinctness is in tact, yet practicing what you preach, which is a much more difficult task to achieve, is a fleeting virtue -

Nope, he just said what I have been itching to say all the time I was out of town (the reason for my long comment, as opposed to some sort of self-aggrandizement), but he said it in a far nicer way than I would have.

I honestly think that anyone of moderate intelligence can see through you without any help from any of the rest of us here, but there may be a few innocents who take your opinion of yourself too seriously, and so it is worthwhile occasionally to call you on it for their sakes.

As for your belief that your long posts piqued my interest - no, I was able to skim over them quickly enough to see that there was nothing of value for me in them.  Thanks anyway though.

ETA: And, of course, the issue about your writing never had anything to do with word count in the first place, did it?

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81

"the best and most talented members such as myself"

I take my hat off to you.  I thought I had that act covered but man... that's a whole new level.

Respect.

My apologies for being so sincere and forthright Mark - As if the forums are not already swamped with innumerable self indulgent, self promoting members running all over the place essentially begging for eyeballs and attention - And you chose to cherry pick my one small sentence out of literally thousands I've authored? One which is virtually microscopic in comparison to other members who try to make a living by constantly floating around forums and elsewhere bantering this accomplishment was just achieved, or performing verbal outbursts such as "Look at me, I'm the best at this or that" - And where were you to chastise their intent as you are mine?

So now, I guess it's safe to assume you will police the forums from this point forward to expose and penalize all others who utter mere words of self adulation? - Never mind, I totally understand the situation here -

Be careful Mark, or this evilly honest, demonically egotistical imp might just promote thee to quasi brilliant humorist - A statement of fact once again which is probably not too far from the truth - Too bad I expect a "Chastising & Reprimand" due in kind -

P.S. - I would prefer to simply concentrate on my professional writing and photography career and maintain my usual low profile, however, at times, unfortunately I am forced to bubble up to the surface and scrutinize certain tests, experiments, and or "Changes" here at HP which might compromise the integrity of my hard work, and or my untarnished reputation  -

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81

Actually I kind of regretted it.  It was probably a cheap shot, and you are right - why stop at one?

Carry on.

Duely noted and accepted -

Yet my comment describing your humorous contributions as "Quasi Brilliant " shall be upheld and must not be striken from the record -

R we "coo dey coo"?

39. JT Walters profile image71
    JT Waltersposted 11 years ago

I am really excited about the new profile.  I think it is really cool but admittedly it will take me a while to get the hang of how to set it up.  The HUbages I jioned 13+ months ago continues to grow, improve and change.  And while it is challenging sometime to keep up with all the new modifications I think the new profile page will be wonderful. I just have to figure our how to get 500+ hubs into that carosel.

Awesome job!!

JT

40. paradigmsearch profile image60

I am thinking of using the carousel for my 6 best, generally same subject, zero traffic hubs. However, I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not. I mean, since it is already proven that google hates those 6 hubs, will it cause google to proceed to hate my entire subdomain?

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It may not be a bad idea. There is no way to know for sure until we try it. I plan to test various experiments too when we have the new profile...

Listing six hubs that had no recent hits.
      Listing six hubs that had no comments.
      And then on the other hand, listing six of the best performing hubs.

After testing each of these scenarios I hope to discover what works best.

41. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

A little more of my feedback (@ Simone, et al.) after perusing staff profiles (I'm back home now smile ) - just adding my opinion to those who have made similar points earlier in the thread:

If the suggestion to separate content types under different tabs is not feasible, what about a different color for each type of label (forum, answer, etc.) or at least a noticeably different shade of the same color?  A label for the Hubs would help too (that is, if all content types must be mixed together). 

If content is separated by tabs, perhaps the default front tab (for each Hubber) could be whichever type has the most content? (I'm thinking specifically of Hubbers who have few Hubs, but many Forums or Answers.)

Along with some who posted comments on the blog, I dislike the long list of Hubs all on one page (even if they are separated from other content).  Please find a different way for readers to access them.  Besides being harder to navigate, the constantly loading titles cause the page to jump - often occurring right at the time I'm trying to find out more about a specific item and causing me to lose my place.

The timing of scrolling Hubs in the carousel needs work. Some allow time to read the summary, but some last only one second or less.

The busy backgrounds are not very appealing, really, IMO.  It's nice to have some individuality, but couldn't that be done with more subtlety?

If there is a maximum length for the (visible) profile bio, what about a minimum length? At least one bio that I saw was so short as to be nearly worthless.  Writing 2-3 sentences doesn't seem to be an unreasonable demand.

Finally, I am one of the Hubbers who really, really like the "Search Content by" feature on our current profile page, and I - fervently! - hope you will reconsider including it with the new profile layout.  I haven't seen any other HP search function that comes close to it in usefulness.  An alternate approach would be to include a filter on the main HP search results page that allows us to use an Authorname for filtering results by content type - e.g., Search/keyword > Scope Results by (content type or HP section) > Authorname (optional).

There's a lot that I do like about the new layout, and I don't mean to sound negative with my remarks – I just want to point out some features that I believe need tweaking and some that I really hope will be reconsidered before the layout is rolled out sitewide.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I second both these points, but the second one in particular.  I use it all the time. 

Currently, if I know Sunforged has written a Hub about blue widgets, I can go to his profile, type in "blue widgets" and see a list of his Hubs on that topic.  If the "search content" box isn't there, how else am I going to find it?  Try doing it using the main HubPages search - it's tedious to do and often gives strange results.

Agreed, especially about the second point. It's a huge disservice to participants on this site not to allow searching content by keyword by author. Well, I'm beating a dead horse...I've had my say on this before.

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2145783

Just glad to know others also recognize the importance of this feature. There's so much junk on here, that once you find an author who presents valuable information about topics of interest to you in a professional way, you should be able to easily search his other works.

1. profile image0

I'd go further than just having a "search content by author" option on someone's profile - I'd have it on every single hub as well, to make it as easy as possible for anyone to search for content by that person. (Because not everyone would think of clicking on the profile.)

Gah. I'm not sure why I'm bothering to say this, really. It's a waste of time.

You're probably right, obviously HubPages staff have stopped monitoring this thread.

Besides, I'm beginning to think the omission of that search function is deliberate.

All the new layouts (Hubs and profile) seem to be designed to reduce the likelihood of a reader staying within an author's sub-domain.  They've made our author info much less prominent on our Hubs, and removed the 'read more by this author' link.  They've put the "discover more Hubs" links directly under our Group links so it's not obvious the Group Hubs are by the same author and the "Discover" Hubs are not.   

Removing "search content by this author" and adding related Hubs on our profile looks like just another step in that process.

Agreed. I'd love to know what the thinking is about this. We'll probably never know.

2. profile image0

The likely answer was supplied by lrohner at the top of page 13 of this thread. As an explanation of why HP has made the changes it's made, it makes sense.

Of course, making it harder to find content by a specific author is going to deprive HP of potential page views but this appears not to have occurred to the management. Maybe in terms of internal SEO it's better to get people clicking on each other's hubs but if you lose page views because your site is now more difficult to actually use, then you've shot yourself in the foot.

42. webrevolve profile image68
    webrevolveposted 11 years ago

Awesome! Love what you have done. I particularly like the idea of creating your own background image, giving us the ability to make our hubs a lot more personalised and attractive. smile

43. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 11 years ago

I don't know if this has been posted, but HubPages did what we asked for and now Hubs, Q&A, and Forums have their own tabs. Thank you!

I just now checked out Simone's profile, and I love the improvement (the tabs that Haunty - thanks, Haunty - mentioned)!

Two other awesome changes or additions:  these sections (Hubs, Q&A, and Forums) can be sorted by category, and I think that's super; and the heading on what used to be called "similar Hubbers" (or something similar lol) is now "Others you might like …" - That is excellent!!

Woo-hoo, thanks for listening, staff!

I am still crossing my fingers that the request to keep the "Search Content by" function is not entirely out of the question and is still being given some thoughtful consideration.

One side note - There is so much content for Simone's page that it took a while to load for me, and I can't imagine what it would be like for someone with a dial-up connection.  I hope that also is being discussed and being troubleshot (??? lol - troubleshooted?  lol troubleshooten?). Rats, how about if I just say, I hope it is going through the troubleshooting process. smile

That's great!  One minor point - I couldn't see where to view by category!  It took me a while to work out I had to click on "Show". 

Maybe that heading could be changed to "Show Topics", or something similar, to make it clearer?

Good suggestion!  Many sites have a "sort by" label. That might also be possible as a name for the button.

44. moonlake profile image81
    moonlakeposted 11 years ago

I like the new profile page but I do wish the hub score would show up on each hub instead of how many comments were made. I also miss hot, best, and latest. That is the way I checked out hubber's hubs and now those are gone.

45. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

My problem with the new profile page is that in the featured hubs section the first photo on the page is automatically selected for display.

My first photos are almost always full width but shallow montages of photos on the page. These don't render well in the featured articles set up. In fact, they look a mess.

It would be better if we were offered a choice of photos from the page to feature.

Apart from that, it is a nice upgrade.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Will, I ran into a similar situation with one of my hubs. So I simply selected a different one to include in my feature list. But then there was another that I really wanted to include which had an image that didn't display well. So I went back and resized the image with Photoshop to make it work well with the feature list. That solved the problem.

46. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 11 years ago

I love the new layout on the profile pages!!!  Awesome job!!!

47. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Hey everyone!

I started a new thread for anyone who would like to leave feedback or ask questions about the new option to apply the new Profile design to one's own subdomain (since we're not really monitoring this as frequently). Stop by if you like!

48. Rain Defence profile image80
    Rain Defenceposted 11 years ago

Does the new profile help hubs from an seo perspective? Has anyone actually found an increase in views and SERPS since changing over?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)