Weekly Topic Inspiration: Paying for College

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

September is right around the corner, which means that millions of people will be entering college campuses. With a college education comes credentials, connections, and knowledge- but many also college campuses with a hefty pile of debt.

How have you or your family members addressed the (ever-rising) costs of a college education? What tips can you give about paying tuition, getting scholarships, applying for student loans, or choosing less expensive alternatives? Share your know-how as part of this week’s Weekly Topic Inspiration challenge.

Don’t have a particular Hub in mind? Here are some search-friendly titles to consider using:
    Five Great Nursing Scholarships
    Cost Effective College Majors
    Five Fantastic Scholarships for Hispanics
    How to Begin Your Scholarship Search
    Ten Easy Scholarships
    Free Scholarships
    Five Great Scholarship School Scholarships
    Scholarship Applications: Tips and Tricks
    Student Loan Interest Rates
    How to Find Scholarships for College
    Grants for College
    How Community College Can Lead to a Debt-Free Future
    How to Factor Money into the College Search Process
    Private Student Loans 101
    The 10 Best Scholarships for Women
    Scholarships for High School Seniors
    How to Apply for Federal Student Aid
    Budget-Friendly Colleges in California
    Is Navy College a Budget-Friendly Educational Option?

To create search-friendly titles of your own, follow the steps outlined in this Learning Center guide.

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

Oh, and do you want your WTI Hub to have a shot at becoming a Hub of the Day? Make sure the images are legally used and properly attributed!

1. profile image0
      KDuBarry03posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here is my hub for this week's topic: "Helping a son or daughter in college.

http://kdubarry03.hubpages.com/hub/Help … in-College

In this hub, I covered financial aid, how to apply for financial aid, cost effective ways to help your son/daughter in college, and how meal plans at school can save money. I chose this topic because I wished to share how financial aid works if they are applying for college and wish to pay for the tuition via different means. Adding to this, I decided to add in information on meal plans and beneficial items (such as a laptop, fridge, and staple items) because purchasing meal plans can help the parent save hundreds of dollars and investing in a laptop and/or fridge would help save some more money on paper, food on campus, etc.

Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

SUCH a good Hub- and so thorough! I wished the same thing after applying for financial aid (and doing a bunch of other things for the first time in college)- and feel silly for not sharing my lessons learned with others. I'm so glad YOU are!

2. mary615 profile image83
        mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congrats to Keith for HOTD on this one!  Great Hub.

2. Patty Kenyon profile image69
      Patty Kenyonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have never done a weekly topic before and just updated links, added pictures, and other information for a Hub that I originally published towards the end of July...The Hub has to do with Adults Returning to School (based on my personal experience) and does go through the process of affording college including FAFSA, along with other information...Would that be eligible for the weekly topic?

Hey Patty! WTI is designed to give people ideas of new Hubs to write, so Hubs that have already been published don't count, but that sounds like a fantastically useful Hub, and it totally matches with our theme!

1. Patty Kenyon profile image69
          Patty Kenyonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Simone, Thank-you so much for taking time to answer my question!!  I will be sure to look next week!!  Thanks Again!!

3. yougotme profile image89
      yougotmeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I might try this out as soon as I get some free time from my academics. smile)

Cool beans!

4. Ruchira profile image72
      Ruchiraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You've shared some great resources here! One thing you might do to add polish to the Hub is to share those URLs in a Links Capsule, complete with custom descriptions sharing your short take on each particular site. The Links Capsule is a great tool for sharing things like this! smile

1. Ruchira profile image72
          Ruchiraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simone for your feedback. 'have done the needful...cheers!

1. profile image0
            KDuBarry03posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You did an excellent job with this hub, Ruchira!

2. amos316 profile image60
    amos316posted 11 years ago

Great overview of the alternatives- and my my... so many acronyms!! Thanks for explaining them. big_smile

3. profile image57
    chatroomsposted 11 years ago

OMG speaking of college I start Monday!! I'm a nervous wreck. Those are all interesting topics by the way and would provide something of value to others.

4. mary615 profile image83
    mary615posted 11 years ago

Here is my Hub about how my Daughter paid for college with scholarships:
    http://mary615.hubpages.com/hub/How-My- … -Committee

Wow, good for your daughter! You've provided an inspiring example and roadmap with this Hub.

1. mary615 profile image83
        mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

5. g-girl11 profile image78
    g-girl11posted 11 years ago

I just dropped off my son at college two days ago an am very familiar with the process (and fear) involved with college tuition, financial aid and facing the bill.   I wrote about how my son is able to go to an expensive private school without taking out a loan (despite our modest income and lack of savings) and give practical do's and don'ts about the whole process.
    http://g-girl11.hubpages.com/hub/Colleg … g-the-Bill

Ah, the classic tradition!

This is a super useful Hub. I love the "dos" and "don'ts" format, and the fact that you're leveraging your personal expertise and that you included photos of your son only make your advice more compelling. Nicely done!

1. g-girl11 profile image78
        g-girl11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simone!!!  Glad you enjoyed it!  Never did a "WTI" before---glad I gave it a whirl!!  smile

6. profile image0
    mts1098posted 11 years ago

PASSHE-The-Pennsylvania-State-System-of-Higher-Education

I wrote about the PA state schools because they provide an affordable higher education alternative

Heya mts1098! That link doesn't seem to work and I can't find any Hub fitting that description via your profile. Is it indeed published?

1. profile image0
        mts1098posted 11 years agoin reply to this
  7. Lipnancy profile image79
    Lipnancyposted 11 years ago

What started out to be a very specific hub about single mother scholarships to school, grew into a hub that anyone can use.  Maybe I should have changed the title. You tell me!
    http://lipnancy.hubpages.com/hub/Top-Si … holarships

8. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

This has inspired me to write a Hub about how I graduated college, debt-free:
    http://kathleenkat.hubpages.com/hub/Debt-Free-College

9. TheSingularity profile image60
    TheSingularityposted 11 years ago

Great topic! A college education is the greatest investment you can make. Here is how I put myself through college with minimal debt: http://thesingularity.hubpages.com/hub/ … rd-College . This method has been wonderful for me, and I have never been more satisfied with my life. Moving forward is a beautiful thing after years of stagnation in the work force.

10. tamarawilhite profile image85
    tamarawilhiteposted 11 years ago

I've started "Alternative Sources of College Credit and Continuing Education Classes" and begun researching free sources of classes. Most of what I've found is simply free online classes that prepare you for the CLEP and AP exams, but this is still cheaper than attending a college course.

11. Kevin Peter profile image60
    Kevin Peterposted 11 years ago

Give your feedback about my new hubmob hub

Finding Money For College - Earn Your College Degree at Affordable Cost
    http://kevin-peter.hubpages.com/hub/Ear … dable-Cost

12. cashmere profile image77
    cashmereposted 11 years ago

College in India is very different from the US. Most students don't pay for their own education by working part time jobs. It is seen as the parents duty to pay for the degree that the child will use to get a job. After the child has the professional qualification he is expected to work and eventually take on the responsibility of running the house from the parents. Different culture, different system I suppose.

1. kathleenkat profile image83
      kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Could you see that as being a problem, say, keeping the poor, poor, and the rich, rich? Poor parents can't afford to send their children to college, so their children remain poor. Rich parents can, so their children remain rich.

But, like you said, different system, different country. In the States, at least in my particular region, it is embarassing to say that your parents pay for your education, and you are looked down upon for 'not working as hard,' and so on.

13. profile image0
    Elizabeth Dorssomposted 11 years ago

A list of the top, budget friendly colleges in California

http://elizabethdorssom.hubpages.com/hu … California

14. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Did I miss something, or is this week's WTI a continuation of last week's WTI?   Thanks  smile

1. Danette Watt profile image83
      Danette Wattposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it just hasn't changed yet.  I think Tues we'll see a new topic.

1. Denise Handlon profile image85
        Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile Gee sis, I thought I was going to see a link to a 'college' hub you wrote.  smile

15. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Great Hubs, y'all. And quite timely!!!

The new theme for the week is now live. The focus: home furnishings! It might seem like a bland subject, but there's a LOT to be shared, and everyone has SOME experience with this subject!

I hope you'll join in. big_smile

1. Denise Handlon profile image85
      Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simone, smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)