Is Hubpages web health in trouble??

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    jenuboukaposted 11 years ago

For those who have avast on their computers may have noticed the little colored bars next to a website.  Green being very good, reputable and popular by a large number of people.  Yellow, being a mediocre site that has little views, and red being a malaware site.  For the last year Hp has always been green, but when I noticed today that their color has changed to yellow. 

Now, with over 50 million views per day as it states on each hub, what is going on?  I do really rely on this for it has helped me skip the crappy spammy sites that pose a threat to my computer. 

Anyone else use this?  Have an idea as to why, was it this last Google update?

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image91
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have Avast and HubPages still comes up green for me as of today a couple of times, but I'll check back later and report back if I see yellow.Thanks for the heads up.

1. profile image0
        jenuboukaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Patty, yea very weird to me...Maybe I should re-start my computer?  It was green for me yesterday....

2. Lwelch profile image81
      Lwelchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I use AVG Linkscanner and all is green and healthy on Hubpages.  So, maybe it was an oddball return.

1. profile image0

What browser?  I use firefox and yesterday it was green now today it is yellow so I am trying to see if this is on my side or something else.

3. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Its says "Over 50 Million people discover HubPages every month."

Quite a different figure!

Ive never ever seen a warning about malware, dangerous site etc at HubPages, I will give them that!

The WebRep aspect of Avast is based on user reviews.

From what I can see "Yellow"

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m= … &nav=0

is between average and good !

https://support.avast.com/img/other-en_webrep_vote_popup440c1629c8e0cb40267dcc726d0614aebfbc4e69290d4f90dcf39ef9c683c14f3922fae31ac9850a7ecee03f74d7b1ec3ac380d25d612cdf.png

4. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Over 50 Million people discover HubPages every month."

According to Quantcast, they get just short of 70 million pageviews PER MONTH, and less than 2.5 million per day.

ETA: Sorry, Sunforged, I should have read the other posts before I posted...

2. moonlake profile image81
    moonlakeposted 11 years ago

I don't have Avast but will check into it getting it. The only thing that I noticed that seem to be strange was views from other countries have dropped right off when watching them on pop in and out on Overview. My hubs aren't that busy but there is always someone jumping on from a country other than the US and for two days now it's just not happening. I mentioned this to my husband yesterday. Maybe it's just my hubs. Maybe some hubbers can check their Overview in RealTime and see what is going on with theirs.

1. profile image0

I have the "free" version of Avast and it really helps me out when researching sites.  It will pop up a warning when a site is a malware threat.  It also does this when you do a Google search too.  It has a little colored bar next to the site, you hove your mouse over it and it gives you the general stats..

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Avast is an anti-virus software and does not measure traffic health of a site.

1. profile image0

Let me rephrase that then, the rating is in the yellow on my firefox browser.  I use this feature to determine a sites reputation to which is has been very reliable and helpful to steer me away from ill-rated sites.  When I check a few "health rating websites" Hubpages was in the low 60s...If you are going to provide a vague response at least have some kind of helpful information to those who are concerned about the issue.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They also make a Firefox plugin called WEBrep.  But I would not lose any sleep over a yellow rating. I trust Hupages more than WEBrep by a wide margin. Hubpages doesn't install itself, unwanted, onto my computer and cling on like a limpet.

1. relache profile image73
          relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Okay, now THERE'S the telling quote....  Run, don't walk, away from the info provided by that software.

2. profile image0

Ah ha, did you ever get the Mystart cling on too?  That is a pain in the ass to remove. Great I better look to see if that has moved in as well.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've got some zorkwad out in the middle of the South Atlantic Ocean somewhat near Africa. I kid you not.

1. profile image0

What does that have to with the subject?

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
          paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

moonlake wrote:
          I don't have Avast but will check into it getting it. The only thing that I noticed that seem to be strange was views from other countries have dropped right off when watching them on pop in and out on Overview. My hubs aren't that busy but there is always someone jumping on from a country other than the US and for two days now it's just not happening. I mentioned this to my husband yesterday. Maybe it's just my hubs. Maybe some hubbers can check their Overview in RealTime and see what is going on with theirs.

1. profile image0

Ah, now I get it.  I haven't check that out to see activity from other countries...I am to assume it must be my computer or something.  I have used Avast for over a year and just the other day hubpages's color turned yellow.  Trying to figure out if it is my computer or what....Have no clue...There is this other site that was yellow then now it has turned red and the avast pops up with this annoying sound saying it is now a malware site....

1. moonlake profile image81
              moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My feeling was if your overview looks good with traffic and people are coming in to check out HubPages than Hubpage must not be having health trouble. I know that traffic can be slow this time of year with so much going on. Just go into town everyone is in town can't get through the isles. Never mind trying to get to paper and desk supplies.
              Maybe it is your computer and I can understand that. When mine acts goofy I go crazy trying to figure out what is going on.

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 11 years ago

We're going into Labor Day weekend, tons of students are restarting their college year and we have the added fun of a huge hurricane is bearing down on the Gulf Coast.

Web traffic is going to be down over the holiday weekend just like it is at this same time of year every year.

1. profile image0

I guess my concern is not a drop in traffic, personally I have not seen much of a drastic change like others have stated.  I am just curious on the Avast feature of this colored rating....Mainly, is it my firefox browser doing it or something else.... I have had some real issues with the latest version and wondered if anyone else has seen this too.  Perhaps it is not much of  a reliable or valuable attribute as I thought.  Except when I get the giant red trojan pop up warning.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Yes, i found it's red light warnings were pretty reliable--the others not so much.

5. moonlake profile image81
    moonlakeposted 11 years ago

I didn't know what Avast was I had never heard of it. I already checked it out and saw that it was a  anti-virus software. Something I don't need. I did think you were talking about sites reputation when mentioning Avast so I thought maybe there was something that could keep track of how Hubpages is doing over all on Google.  Oh well, I'm dumb about this stuff. It is green on website health check. I don't know how reliable that site is.

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Avast is a software company, they also make WEBrep--which is what is being discussed here.

7. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

It's always green with McAfee site advisor.

1. profile image0

Well I have no idea perhaps its firefox, but it still shows yellow,  I wouldn't disregard it too much, with billions on line everyday there are many who do use this feature; it has always been spot on for me.  SO why the heck is it yellow on my computer, it is getting annoying....

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

again, yellow is not a bad rating

1. profile image0

Perhaps, some other sites that had this color have now turned red on my Google search, so I am just trying to figure out what or how to determine the reason for it....Google update? Or my computer is just needing an internal cleaning.  Some other yellow sites are suspicious, but by no means would I consider HP to be of such.  Driving me nuts to see it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)