Do Wealthy People Work Harder and Are they Smarter?

Jump to Last Post 51-72 of 72 discussions (596 posts)
  1. Astra Nomik profile image63
    Astra Nomikposted 11 years ago

I am reading this Forum thread with interest. I believe this should illustrate what points are being put here.

My partner works in a Financial Business. Her boss said to her one day ( good few years ago) that she should invest in Apple shares. It turned out her boss knew the man named Jonathan Ives personally. He's the designer in Apple. (It was before the ihone came out, and the share values were pretty low.) She bought 1,000 shares, on her bosses recommendation, as she wanted to put money away for the future. It was a big chunk of her savings.

She asked me the other day if I had a stock portfolio. I laughed and said I couldn't afford that kind of stuff. She said fine, but told me about the Apple shares she had. Then I googled the price share of Apple shares today. I was shocked. And it doesn't stop at Apple...

Now I realize the gulf between what can be and what can't be. $700 for one Apple share is crazy money. She bought them cheap. But wealthy people use money to create money. The rest of use use money in very different ways. I see why she doesn't write that many hubs ... she doesn't need to...

She recommended a simple analogy. A farmer pities the poor man who has to feed his family, so gives him a large bag of apples, and says use them wisely. The man gives the apples to his family and they eat their way through them. Later they have no food left. When the farmer sees this, he asks "why did you have to just eat them all? You could have planted the seeds and pips and have many apple trees and a never ending supply of food for your family"

The farmer knows the true value of things. Especially if he has to grow them. But less wealthy people seldom know the value of anything. But teach them the value of things and it could be very different.

1. Shelly Nun-Chucks profile image65
      Shelly Nun-Chucksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi everyone,
      I haven't read everything, but you know something, what I learned through life?
      I figured out, I want to become successful in my own way, and not compare myself to others success.
      I think I might have mentioned that I came from a poor background, and well I wanted to learn, but never liked college, so I went out and looked for educated people, who would teach me things, to help me in my life.
      Even though I may be part of a different type of school, I learned..
      "Anything is possible, as long as you work for it." 
      Now a few may know from my profile and hubs, I been busy working around the entertainment business for the past 7 years.
      Now maybe I'm not someone of Tom Cruise's stature, but working on my dreams.

I want to work with Jackie Chan, and it may sound crazy, but I know a couple of people who really do work on film sets, where they are doing real acting in Hollywood and they said, that it is possible to work with Jackie Chan, as long as I work for it.

Now just I may know people that do the things I want, doesn't mean anything is just going to be handed to me.

So I found companies that like me and want to give me leads and I'm trying to finish getting things together and make my own film to thank and to dedicate to Jackie Chan.
      It is a short film, but doing the lead and just do it.

I plan to submit it to other countries, sub-titles and all and it will have a Jackie Chan feel to it.

Basically I am an underdog and have my own type or Rocky thing going on .  The thing is, because I'm not giving up and at times, maybe it's a little hard, but I just believe I can do it.

Nothing is being handed to me, and I'm not rich, but working for it.

I would love to succeed in my own way, and maybe show other people, they can do it to, as long as they work  for it.

I don't think people that are wealthy are lazy, because some people believe it or not, have got to be wealthy, cause they did work, but once there in their type of status of "being wealthy", people don't tend to think, that maybe someone really worked their butt off to get their and look down upon people with money.

I think the problem is, (maybe I said this before too) I think people want things handed to them today.
      Take a look at technology, and how easy, it makes things.

I am trying to learn to edit videos and such on my own, on my own computer, without going to college, cause if you think about it, you can get even "free" programs off the internet that can help you out to learn.

Maybe some people have been born into wealth and for us that struggle, we think it is "unfair" and probably wonder why, we too, weren't born into a wealthy family?
      I don't have an answer, it is the way it is.

But I tend to think, with wealth, how happy can you be?

Now this is just a point I'm going to make....

For the past seven years, every birthday, and every christmas, people ask me what I want to do and what do I want?
      It is the samething, to work with Jackie Chan.
      I will never ask for the rest of my life, for anything, for my birthday, or christmas, cause even to just sit and have a conversation with Jackie Chan and have tea with him, would be worth more than any amount of money on this planet.

Maybe people want wealth to make them happy...well yeah, I'm not fool, sometimes we need money to pay rent, bills, and such.

But the one thing in the world for me....just to work with Jackie Chan.

It is the one thing in the world I would love to do, and it isn't all about the money.

For me, to have my dream come true, and just because I would get the chance to work with Jackie Chan, it might not mean I'm going to get paid a million dollars, but the one thing in the world, that would make me happy, and that has nothing to do with wealth what so ever.

Granted, I already know, working with Jackie Chan, might get me attention that would lead to other things, but I do know, in the entertainment business, I pray to keep a head on my shoulders, and I hope with knowing and training here and there in martial arts, I will have the brains, to keep level headed with what I"m doing.

Another thing is....to become wealthy, sometimes people get the money and they become really stupid about it, and spend it, and get on drugs and such, cause they weren't ready, not saying all, but if you here and see stories on lottery winners, yeah that can happen.

If I ever played the lottery and ever won, I wouldn't tell a soul, because then all of the sudden, everyone is your best friend and I would rather be able to count on my fingers, the number 10, of the total of people who I could call a friend, than to have a whole entourage of people who I would call fake friends.

I know I brought up a few things in this, but I hope people can understand my points for what I was saying.

1. Meg Davis profile image67
        Meg Davisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hope you get to work with Jackie.  He's awesome.

thank you

2. Meg Davis profile image67
    Meg Davisposted 11 years ago

I'm poor and I have two jobs and two kids.  I work my tushie off.  My husband was laid off four years ago and we've taken jobs that don't pay as well as his old job.  We work HARD.  Mostly manual labor.  We are both intelligent and hard-working.  We don't take any welfare and we to make our kids lives better than ours.  It's a pretty insulting generalization to say poor people aren't smart and don't work hard.  I don't begrudge others their success, but only someone who has never been poor would say that poor people don't work hard and aren't smart.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was not discussing the working poor.   Yes, there are poor people who work hard and care about their children's welfare and future.   It is obvious that such people are doing the best that they can.   These people are working beyond hard to provide a future for themselves and for their children.   I understand that although I was never poor.    In fact, most correct thinking people(I hope!) comprehend the situation at hand.

What I was addressing was the poor who do not care either about their socioeconomic situation or the welfare and future of their children.   These poor people have a victim mentality and use the blame game.    They are the ones who believe that the world owes them a livelihood and that their children are not their responsibility but someone else's.      These are the ones who constantly want to be rescued.     What I have stated about some poor people DEFINITELY DOES NOT APPLY to the WORKING POOR WHO WORK BEYOND HARD TO PROVIDE A HOME AND FOOD FOR THEIR FAMILIES.   THERE SHOULD BE MORE JOBS THAT PROVIDE A DECENT, LIVABLE, AND HUMANE WAGE.    I do not believe that ANYONE should be poor or impoverished.   That is totally unconscionable.   Solution is to have jobs at a decent, beyond minimum wage.   AGAIN, NO ONE SHOULD BE POOR!   End of statement!

1. John Holden profile image60
        John Holdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And what percentage of the none working population fall into that category? 1% 0.5%?

Is it a big enough number to make it worth stigmatising the whole of the unemployed?

1. kathleenkat profile image83
          kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that's probably a higher number, at least in the States. With unemployment so high, a lot of people have given up and stopped caring, and are taking as much free-handouts as they can from the government.

But that hardly qualifies them as not caring does it?
            They may have given up on the possibility of finding work and chosen the best route for providing for their family as possible.

If they have given up looking for work, they have stopped caring about finding work (obviously).

I'm sorry, I thought that not caring about their family was the point.

That's fine. It was my impression we were talking about unemployment.

In the US, some programs that aid the unemployed require proof of weekly job search. I have personally met people who dropped out of these programs because they didn't want to spend the time doing that, for whatever reason.

They have similar programs over here. People drop out because the constant fruitless search for employment is disheartening and demeaning.
                    A  few hundred job rejections can be very trying on the ego.

3. isenhower33 profile image66
    isenhower33posted 11 years ago

I see a lot of nonsense here, Its not about working harder or being smarter. Neither have to do with it. Its about your thinking. Your thoughts determine how your life will play out, it determines what you have around you and what kind of success you will have. If your thinking is always about bills then thats all you're going to get is bills. Change that thinking. We are our own anchor. Dont limit your thinking to i cant do this or i cant do that. You think Donald Trump worries everyday about bills? No, and he never will. If you haven't seen the movie "the secret" well i guess its time for you to go watch it if you are struggling. Dont let doubt and worry fill your head. God made the Law of Attraction for a reason, so why dont we use it? No matter what life throws at you think positive and always strive for your goals. If you want to be wealthy then think about being wealthy. Dont just think oh it would be so nice to be wealthy. Think about what you will do with it, and that you will/are wealthy. Your mind is the most powerful thing on the planet. Thinking will determine your future. And you have to create the opportunity. Dont just sit on the couch and think about it all day, go out live life, push for your goals and your thoughts will bring what you want to you. Thing about the poor is(and i know this first hand) we are a lot more appreciative of things we have then someone of a wealthier nature. The problem is sometimes we get content on where we are. Never get content, always strive for the next goal in your life. God Bless

+++++++++++!

4. John Holden profile image60
    John Holdenposted 11 years ago

" Most people are too busy earning a living to make any money"

1. Meg Davis profile image67
      Meg Davisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Boy, if that's not the truth...

Yeah, but try getting some of this lot to understand it :-(

5. My Minds Eye53 profile image59
    My Minds Eye53posted 11 years ago

gmwilliams, there will always be poor.  I think it takes a certain mindset that make rich people rich unless they are born into it.  I think self made millionaires are where they are because they see money differently than most people and are very goal oriented.  Money is also power, power that most people don't want or need.  People like me are the ones who come up with ideas, the rich are the ones who know how to utilize those ideas.  Sometimes a person comes along that is both.
    There are poor people out there through no fault of their own.  Otherwise I agree with you completely.
    Rich people can live beyond their means also and be technically poor.

Totally agree.   There are numerous instances of rich people going into either debt or bankruptcy.  M C Hammer comes to mind.  He was a multimillionaire in his heyday and he went into bankruptcy because of his extremely lavish lifestyle.

6. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 11 years ago

They understand business and they make earning money a priority. No they are not smarter. No they don't work harder. If you really want to be wealthy, you must constantly find ways to make more money. People don't like the term greed, but anybody who becomes a millionaire or a billionaire is driven by it.

What about J.K.Rowling? She seems to be driven by the love of writing!

1. profile image0
        Sri Tposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thats true, but check out the marketing campaign behind her products. See how much was invested in promoting her books.

Her books were marketed because they are awesome! If you wrote something amazing, wouldn't you meet with a marketing expert to help you maximize your profit? Modern society is driven by money; it's what we use to survive. Sure, you can trade goods, but you really can't trade a loaf of bread or a necklace to J. K. Rowling for every volume of Harry Potter sold.

It's also not like she wrote the books because she wanted to be rich. She didn't think "I want to be a millionaire, so I'll write about magic schools!" She wrote because she loves to write, and wanted to make a great story.

What people are saying about everyone who is rich, first wanted to be rich, and schemed new ways to make money...It's just wrong. Some people are rich, or famous, completely by accident.

1. profile image0

Good points, but she was the first author to become a billionare. That says a lot about the mindset of her business team!

Well, yes, but there are some things you really can't predict.

When writing a book (or a Hub), you have no idea if people will like it.

When making a movie, you have no idea if people will like it, either. Harry Potter and the Hunger Games were some successful movies based on books. There was also a movie called Eragon, based on that book, that completely sunk, and probably damaged any possibilities of that author becoming rich.

It's planning, but it's also luck, too.

But you can't really know ahead of time. You can make some well-educated guesses, but it's really up to random chance that a large chunk of money-spenders happen to like you product.

1. profile image0
                JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, it's not up to random chance. If you just make random decisions, that would be correct.

But, if you do your research, then it is much less chance and much more management.

2. profile image0

Napoleon Hill said, it takes a burning desire to become rich. There is no difference between a burning desire to be rich and greed. There is nothing wrong with it. Its about enjoying life. I'm just saying look at the numbers, Apple 76 billion, Oracle 44 billion, Berkshire Hathaway 392 billion, Time Warner 67 billion, if that's not greed driven, what is it?

gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wealthy people are creative in ways that poor people aren't.   Wealthy people see the forest while poor people only see the trees.  Wealthy people view work as a positive lifestyle while poor people view work as a necessary evil.  Wealthy people also think and conceive BIG; poor people think LITTLE. 

The latter feel powerless regarding their place in the world while wealthy people view the world as their oyster.   Joseph Kennedy, self-made millionaire, instructed his children that the world is their oyster and they should MAKE the rules.  Wealthy parents teach their children to OWN while poor parents constantly tell their children that they are OWNED and that is their fate which they have to endure. 

Poor people do not teach their children how to be powerful as that is beyond their purview.  Poor people have a very dour approach and attitude towards life whereas wealthy people have a very proactive and positive attitude towards life.  Poor people instruct their children to be content with what is given to them and not to strive for more.  The attitude of the poor is to take what they get.   The psychology of poor people is vastly different from that of wealthy people.  Yes, wealthy people are smarter, even prodigious in ways that poor people AREN'T.

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
                  Zelkiiroposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, look! The "poor people are stupid and invalid" argument has reared its ugly head! Let's take bets on how long it takes before GM actively endorses for poor people to be euthanized for being poor!

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll145/Zelkiiro/Forum%20Junk/ArielFacepalm.gif

1. GA Anderson profile image88
                    GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ok, help me out here. How did you get that animated GIF into your post? Every time I tried to include one I got the error message that they could not be used. I have one in particular that is real really appropriate for this forum and would appreciate any tip to help me include it in a post.

Pretty, pretty please. Won't you tell me the secret so I can do it too?

GA

2. profile image0

That's exactly how people get rich. They provide a product or service that other people are willing to pay for.

2. My Minds Eye53 profile image59
      My Minds Eye53posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure greed is always at the root of it.  Security has something to do with it.  There are people who, after the great depression, were afraid to spend a time.  Plus there are some accidental millionaires out there.  People who win a lottery, then within a year are right back where they were, sometimes worse. People who found gold or a hidden treasure in the attic, things like that.

1. My Minds Eye53 profile image59
        My Minds Eye53posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Please excuse my errors, I have a cat on my keyboard.

1. profile image0

True, but those who plan to be millionaires or billionaires have to be as W. Clement Stone put it, obssessed with money. They constantly have meetings to think of ways to increase their profits.

7. My Minds Eye53 profile image59
    My Minds Eye53posted 11 years ago

I will agree with that Sri T

8. philosopher70 profile image61
    philosopher70posted 11 years ago

Sophia, we need to know the kind of wealthiness  we 're talking about here, where it begins from and the point it has gotten to and beyond. No wealth remains static having been used up day-in, day-out. It will for sure deplete if no proper measures are taken to maintain its base. A wealthy person for any reason may comment in an awkward manner and then attract public bashing  for it. But just that can not be taken as a yardstick for the conclusion that wealthy people are undisciplined. There are people too left with wealth but end up dieing in poverty for lack of disciplinary financial mechanisms.
    In the absence of financial discipline, how do wealthy people grow their wealth then?
    Sophia, let's be realistic!

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"how do wealthy people grow their wealth then?"

By  avoiding and evading taxes with Swiss bank accounts, Bermuda trusts and Cayman Islands corporations and taking advantage of every special interest tax loophole?

1. profile image0

I guess I should incorporate in the Cayman islands then... clearly it will make me wealthy if I do.

9. philosopher70 profile image61

How do you know they invade tax and all that? Fine. That by itself takes a great deal of craft to do men!
    They don't just sit to protect their wealth without thinking. They do a lot.

where did my comment go, where I just posted about Harry Potter is a rip off of Larry Potter, anybody can look it up...JK Rowling stole the idea and wrote about it, and maybe it seems like people don't like the truth, but she made tons of money off an idea that wasn't her at all to begin with

Hm, yes I did look it up and it seems that the inventor of Larry Potter was being less than honest and was fined $50,000 for her "pattern of intentional bad faith conduct" !

2. kathleenkat profile image83

Think about this:

Every week, HubPages posts a "Weekly Topic Inspiration" idea in the forums.

Everyone who responds to that is writing, and making money off of someone else's idea. Whether or not it was her idea, or someone else's inspiration, is irrelevant to her writing skills. Magical children are not a new concept, nor are orphans as main characters (Lion King, Star Wars, Eragon, All Dogs go to Heaven...)

10. Shelly Nun-Chucks profile image65
    Shelly Nun-Chucksposted 11 years ago

true, but where I got the title for my film The Dishwasher, at least I'm telling people.
    My film is dedicated to Jackie Chan...and the title popped into my head from the film
    Dragon, the Bruce Lee story...where Bruce was a dishwasher and his
    boss had a heart to heart sit down talk with him.
    She told him, that he could make a decision..
    If he chooses a good path, his life would change..
    if not...She could always use a good "Dish-was-sha"
    and that's how I got my title, but not my idea...
    but people never say where they would get an idea from,
    at leat I'll speak the truth and I think being and underdog,
    I think people will like my story smile

11. philosopher70 profile image61

Shelly, nothing wrong about your position that people must acknowledge source for their works. But if a person takes another one's work and never gets caught by the strict plagiarism law, and makes more wealth out of that than the original owner then that person is indeed smarter!

smile

1. philosopher70 profile image61
        philosopher70posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Reading your profile, I get informed you desire to work with Jackie. I pray for your success!

yes thank you and you are right smile

12. philosopher70 profile image61

Thank you too once again and safe journey to Jackie's camp!

13. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

Besides working harder and being smarter, wealthy people are bold.  They see opportunities where poorer people see obstacles. Wealthier people view life as a series of opportunities.  They also know how to establish a brand and capitalize on it.  They see life as a game and playing field.  They have a MORE POSITIVE attitude towards work, seeing as a game instead of the onerous purgatorial hell that most people view work as. The average people views work as a tolerable burden at best and an onerous deep inferno at worst.

That's because, unless you were lucky enough to be born into the right family and/or live next door to the right rich people, work is an onerous purgatorial hell.

No, not if you have the talent, the prerequisite education, or majored in a relevant specialty.  One of the reasons that most people view work as a purgatorial hell is their socioeconomic environment.  Those who are lower middle class to poor view work as something that HAS to be done; middle to upper class people, particularly those with professions, view work as something fun and enrichening.  The latter are inculcated to have a fulfilling career while the former are inculcated to take a job, does not matter what it is; as long as it is a J-O-B.  Furthermore, the former are inculcated by their parents to be slaves while the latter are inculcated to be masters and in charge of their fate.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
          Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is some truth to this. Some of the lower middle class have a mindset where they think because of family influences that they'll never be more than a factory worker. They grab the first job that comes along for the security.

Sometimes it pays to be a risk taker and if you were brought up not to take chances, you will never get anywhere. This can be passed down from grandparents that lived during the depression.

You can't be a risk taker if you have nothing to put on the table to gamble with in the first place.

2. gmwilliams profile image84

THANK YOU, Barbara. Keith Cameron Smith, author of The Top 10 Distinctions Between Millionaires and the Middle Class, succinctly stated that the wealthy have a different mindset than those of poorer classes.  Mr. Cameron indicated that the wealthier classes take more risks whereas the poorer classes think of security first.   The poorer classes inculcate their children not to take career and vocations but to take what they can get whereas the wealthier classes teach their children to aim for a career that they are passionate about and to aim for the highest goal possible.   

Wealthier people have a more joyful and positive approach to life.  They are highly proactive in their life approach.   They do not have a woe is me mentality.   Wealthier classes MAKE their lives.  Whereas the poorer classes have a more dismal attitude towards life.  They feel that no matter what they do, they are the little man, the average man, and they will make no difference.  They also feel that outside forces conspire against them.  They love to use excuses before they make the first attempt.   They aren't happy people; how can they be because of the near impoverishment or impoverishment of their daily condifitions.  Anyone who says that poor people are happy isn't really living in reality.  The poorer classes aren't happy at all.  But I disgress.  The poorer classes have a fatalistic attitude towards life.  Again, they are afraid to think big; they feel as if they are nothing, therefore act as they are nothing and their sefl-fulfilling prophecy comes into fruition.   Both types of classes use the Law of Attraction, the wealthy sees abundance and success and receive that while the poor sees scarcity and struggle and receive that.

1. Fred Arnold profile image60
              Fred Arnoldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Your comment is full of opinionated assumption based off of the subjective views from one guys biased  book. Wealth does not equate to a fulfilled life. It does not matter what you do as long as you are doing something you are proud of. Do you think teachers become teachers because it will get them wealthy? No. It is a job that leads to a fulfillment that money can't buy. And I don't believe there was a cited source in that book that goes to a survey of every poor/middle class and millionaire in the United States that proves your "the poorer classes aren't happy at all".
              Edit:
              I'm on my phone so I can't copy paste. But there is an extensive survey that looks at this issue. In the article it says that majority of people, after earning 75k a year, gain no more satisfaction from more wealth. Those who strive to be millionaires have a different mindset because they actually care about monetary value. Majority of people are not that way and wish not to be.

Ah huh and that is why the majority struggle from day to day, making ends meet while wealthy people have NO SUCH worries at all.  Also, the majority of people are 1.5 to 2 paychecks away from homelessness, NOW THAT'S FOOD FOR THOUGHT!   Again, wealthy people really do not have to worry about homelessness unless something really catastrophic occurs. 

However, homelessness is a reoccurring thought in the minds of the majority of people, especially in these precarious socioeconomic times. Now, if the average, middle class person loses his/her job, well, he/she becomes the new poor.  There are some middle class people who become homeless and fall through the socioeconomic cracks if they lose a job, especially if he/she has NO savings nor investments.

Let's add that things are becoming more expensive and the middle class person is just staying above water socioeconomically.  It is SMART to aim for wealth in order not to have such worries. The smart person takes a job/career that provides a high standard of living.  The wealthier a person is, the happier he/she is. No one is  happy who is struggling to make ends meet and worrying if he/she will be homeless if he/she loses his/her job.  Besides, $75K is just middle class and it is STILL HARD to live off that! That's only inductive and deductive logic.  Just sayin'.

To be realistic, a job does not have to be fulfilling(that is really a pipedream in this precarious socioeconomic times) as long as it provides for a quite comfortable living and lifestyle. Fulfillment does not put food on the table, clothes on one's back, and/or a roof over one's head.  If the job pays WELL, fulfillment can be found in other ways.

1. Fred Arnold profile image60
                  Fred Arnoldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you are having issues living on 75k a year, you are living wrong. And you are using inductive and deductive logic wrong. Read my Hub on it, maybe you can gain some insight. Again, you associate happiness with wealth. Which is a false assessment. You are putting your ideals of monetary value onto people who may have other ideals. It is fine if you think wealth brings you happiness, but it is wrong to state that because it brings you happiness it brings everyone happiness.

http://www.businessinsider.com/does-bei … py-2013-12

http://www.quora.com/What-does-it-feel- … ch?share=1

Here's some insight into this on the wealthy spectrum. The article cuts down some of the stories and shares some quotes.

Again, that is why the majority of people struggle socioeconomically from day to  day to .....day.  They do not have their priorities straight.   Here's a link:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-rich … 012-8?op=1

14. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 9 years ago

Let's take bankers for instance, do they work hard? No, they live on people's sweat. I'm wondering what would happen if every single US citizen would remove their capital (as I did) from the bank what would happen to those banksters? Smarter, indeed, since you accepted for few dollars of interest to give them the totality of your capital. How dummy is it when you think about it? And better how dummy is it to think that paper has value?

15. Fred Arnold profile image60
    Fred Arnoldposted 9 years ago

The necro thread! Really, the last post on this was 2 years ago lol. Anyway, education, money, and the job you do have no correlation. A person who gets big in sports may have no education and makes money. A person can score a perfect on the SATs and only want to work in a field that gets you, at best, 30,000 a year. A lot of teachers are very intelligent but know that the field does not give you a crazy paycheck. There are jobs that are literally ridiculous, monotonous, and mind numbing. Those kinds of jobs, to me, make a mockery of human intelligence. But! There are many of those jobs that pay above average salaries. In some cases, those jobs pay ridiculous salaries. And some of the most creative people are artists, musicians, and writers who may or may not be wealthy. So that is a false assumption. There is also no correlation between wealth and happiness. I make little money, but I am very happy because I am very educated. Education is what matters. Not success and wealth.

Again, something to live by:

"Correlation does not prove causation."

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That works for me.
      I was a millionaire not long ago; people thought I was very successful and respected. When LOST it all due mainly to Government Corruption, it was terrible at first yet I learn to be happier than ever before. By taking wisdom and balance over financial wealth, Screw the greedy rich!

Mr. M. Moore did a test between the rich vs. middle poor (which is most of us). The middle poor won by a land slide yet the rich scored high on knowledge of wines.

16. Mehar Saif profile image59
    Mehar Saifposted 9 years ago

I think wealthy people are lazy and depend on others.

Wealthy people are the ones who create jobs and a brand.  Wealthy people DON'T depend upon others.  It is wealthy people who build the economy by creating jobs.

Wealth is an open ended word, is it intellectual wealth, spiritual, relationship, physical wealth, these four are equal as important as financial wealth. When we over focus on one over the other four, then we became unbalance. Happiness has more to do with our health and what we can forget and least to do about money, (dead president on paper)

If we are too poor financial, like unsustainable housing and jobs for most people, that makes most people unhappy. In 35 years the average wage has gone down by 7% and basic cost of living has gone up 10 times.

gm- If you think the 1% financial wealthy who owns most of the pie is more important than financial balance of the 99% people. I think that’s an unbalance and unhappy idea and practice.

Socioeconomic wealth is the most important.  Socioeconomic wealth does equal happiness and other positive things in life.  Money opens avenues and opportunities in life which AREN'T available otherwise.  Health is such a miniscule component to happiness.  If one is wealthy, one can pay for health with much of the advancements in medicine these days.  Being poor and healthy can only get one SO FAR.......

Don’t know what part I’m of the 5 parts of life’s balance I’ve over looked. Could add Desire, focus, attitude and talent, in that order helps. Personally prefer working smarter rather than harder and for longer. Too many people are working harder, longer for less pay wail the  greedy rich keep getting more and MORE will continue until the true leaders of the world (consciousness of the people) stop allowing it,

You don’t need to be financially wealthy to be happy or physically healthy. If social/economies made people happy, then USA would be the happiest country by economic standard on earth rather than USA in 17th place according to United Nation survey. Plus according to ranking of countries health system  USA is place 37th. Something tell me if the ABC OF LIFE of our physical wellbeing was a sake like death, dead presidents on paper value would not amount to a hill of beans.

GM
              I'll take it ,you do not have answers for this.

17. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

Yes, people are valued according to their income.  That is a fact of life.  There are far more positive attributes to the wealthy than to the poor who are considered more negatively.  Wealthy people are deemed smarter than poor people who are considered to be less intelligent.

18. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

Well, one thing is for sure. One's early influences and environment can end up being either a help or hinderance in adulthood.  Brain patterns must be developed in childhood which will be conducive toward:

Managing time appropriately.
    Active ability to guide ones will in a positive direction for the benefit of self and others.
    Willingness to cooperate with those in positions of authority.
    Faith in the world.
    Faith in one's self.
    Being in a position of command over one's self,
    Able to take good advice and recognize it when offered.
    Have respect for parents and elders.
    Know Math
    Know how to read and write well
    Have interest in life, people, nature.
    Have joy in life.
      … probably many more.

gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000 !!!!!

19. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Thanks gm. Very worthwhile / timeless prompt. If only parents knew how much they influence their children!

Actually, society needs to be more conscious of its influence on the youth. We are all the key to a new world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtvQfb7RChk

gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sadly, there ARE parents who do negative things to their children YET WONDER when they aren't successful.  Parenting is a 24/7/365 job of responsibility and sacrifice.  Parenting is not merely having children but BEING INVOLVED and ENGAGED in their lives.  Parenting is applying the F.E.P. principle to raising children.  The F.E.P. principle is not having children unless one is financially, emotionally, and psychologically prepared to be a parent.  If parents applied the F.E.P. principle, there would be FAR LESS children born into poverty and FAR MORE successful children.  Parents have got to THINK AND PLAN INTELLIGENTLY before having children.  They must also have the amount of children so they can effectively exercise an intelligent span of control  and to raise effectively without enlisting the help of their oldest/older children.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
        Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is true.
        But an older child is better than a bad day care teacher!  LOL…
          So many parents / moms are abandoning their school aged children for way too many hours in school daycares before and after school hours because they MUST work!

Also for toddlers:  If they can, MOTHERS should be with their child full time for at least the first three or four years ...
        or don't have one, I say. (I have come to believe that not even fathers can do the job adequately in the early years.)
        Sadly, I believe I am in the minority on this point.
        Parents think public school daycare is good enough for their kids.
        Believe me. The kids in these daycares are mostly thinking one thing.
        "I want to go home."

TWISI

20. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Smartness / solid intelligence is developed through the environment the kids grow up in. Parents and school systems must supply a rich environment and liberty within boundaries within that environment to help children obtain, (for themselves) many abilities / intelligence.
    Appropriate educational environments and brain biology are the new frontiers the world must embark upon …
    within the guidelines of morality, of course.
    I believe.

1. lovetherain profile image80
      lovetherainposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Intelligence is in the genes. Either you have it, or you don't. It's a scientific fact. Environment has nothing to do with it.

You are entitled to your opinion.
        I believe we are all intelligent in different ways according to individual natures. We are all facets on a (very) large prism.

For instance, there are those with ADHD. They sparkle and thank goodness! No one should drug them and dim their sparkle.
        Instead, we need to map their brains, (see link below,) so they can work with how they are naturally wired.

To say some are not intelligent
        ... is not intelligent.

The Way I, (and others) See It.

http://www.drakeinstitute.com/?utm_sour … oCzgnw_wcB

http://www.drakeinstitute.com/neurofeed … iofeedback

Do you really think someone with a 70 IQ is intelligent?

If that person has a stimulus and goes after it, intelligence and motivation are utilized.
            What is intelligence? The highly intelligent have strong motivations and therefore the will to pursue them. Perhaps the less "intelligent" are less motivated in general.

However, they have a certain amount of intelligence, I would say. This lower level of motivation and intelligence can be built upon …  and have a snowball effect in creating more and more motivation and the will to go after whatever becomes a (new) stimulus for them.
            A high IQ person might be quite smart but may also have little heart.
            - maybe this is the case with the greedy rich.

Some may have too much heart and therefore stay poor.
            So, yes the rich might be smarter than the poor in some ways, but the poor might be smart or even smarter in other ways. For instance, the poor might hold themselves back because they refuse to play the game the rich are playing ...
            for various reasons involving heart and soul.

Intelligence has nothing to do with "heart" and "soul", whatever that's supposed to mean. It has everything to do with cognitive abilities.

Intelligence has to do with motivation. The smarter the person the stronger the will power, (and vice versa) This motivation sometimes is often the result of extreme self-focus.

Those who have more others-focus might not seem intelligent to the rich.
                For instance, teachers and nurses will never become materially wealthy, but in giving of their time and attention to others, they attain a more spiritual wealth.

Of course, a low intelligence person will probably not figure out how to become rich.

It is better to work smart, but working hard can compensate for less smarts ...
                Yes?

gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, intelligence is cognitive.   Intelligence is the ability to access events & situations & act upon them.

A person with a 70 IQ is classified as a retardate.  He or she is in the upper categories of retardation.

21. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Cognition:
    "perception, discernment, apprehension, learning, understanding, comprehension, insight; reasoning, thinking, thought."

Awareness:
    "consciousness, recognition, realization; understanding, grasp, appreciation, knowledge, insight; familiarity; cognizance."

Intelligence
    "intellectual capacity, mental capacity, intellect, mind, brain(s), IQ, brainpower, judgment, reasoning, understanding, comprehension; acumen, wit, sense, insight, perception, penetration, discernment, smartness, canniness, astuteness, intuition, acuity, cleverness, brilliance, ability; braininess."

Understanding
    "comprehension, apprehension, grasp, mastery, appreciation, assimilation, absorption; knowledge, awareness, insight, skill, expertise, proficiency; know-how; cognizance. ANTONYMS ignorance."

22. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Perhaps the rich are good at recognizing difficulties and mastering details.

Exactly.   Rich people are socioeconomic A students. They are smarter.  They know how to strategize & plan for the longterm.   They also are more intelligent.   One cannot be rich w/o a high level of intelligence.   Rich people PLAN......

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

And THAT is the absolute most inaccurate statement you have ever made here !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)