Take the Misha Challenge - I am

Jump to Last Post 101-125 of 125 discussions (239 posts)
  1. TerryGl profile image56
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

As you know I took the boom or bust approach.

Here is the result so far;

Google Page One Position Six out of 119,000,000

Now that's a start. A few good links should send it pretty close to the top of the page.

Adwords tool states 12,000 searches a month. Adwords cost $0.69.

The hub ranks for two word keyword. The single term is the above rank and the plural keyword is position 39 out of 148,000,000 and adwords cost $0.98.

Now I will work on getting the broad match keywords to rank to increase cpc and visitor traffic, as well as working on the plural of the two phrase keyword.

This experiment, so to speak, is going to make one hell of a "How To" hub.

1. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is great!  I can't wait to read the "how to" hub!

2. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You have to remember that fresh hubs get high indexing for a few days until Google ranks where it feels more appropriate - this could be no1 or no 45K.  Dont delude yourself that a great position will remain so.

1. TerryGl profile image56
        TerryGlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice one Shaz, they do not call me the back link kid for nothing.

2. NaomiR profile image76
    NaomiRposted 13 years ago

kangaroo jase -- you can use my name. Thanks.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your welcome, you have been added to the 'Honour Roll'

3. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Nelle,

You have really kicked up the fire on the pants for some people, lol, well for this Kangaroo at least anyway.

Ive decided on a hub, not yet published.
    Researching keywords, including long-tail
    Most likely find Misha's email and put it into meltdown (only kidding Misha)
    Created a new blog
    and recently finished a Hub all about this challenge.

Ok people, so.................. busy much ???? big_smile

1. Boomer60 profile image61
      Boomer60posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Tried leaving a comment on your new blog, but it would not except my comment. Something about being a team member! :-(

Heya Boomer, thankyou, had my comments settings WAY to high on the blog, that is now fixed so people can leave commentary. smile

1. Boomer60 profile image61
          Boomer60posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I will be visiting you again often. :-)

4. salt profile image59
    saltposted 13 years ago

Im in for this one. I have 3 hubs I need to finish properly and then I will concerntrate on building traffic and that 100 dollars per day. I wonder what it would be like to earn over 200?

There must be a way to do this ???

5. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

If I could earn $100 in a day for a hub I would be happy happy happy! I still have a lot of learning to do I can see!

6. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Even though I don't have time to do this challenge properly I am picking up good ideas from it. Frankly I have never made a dime on hubpages.

But I can see why now. My subjects are just too random with very popular key words that will never get close to the first page. So any more hubs I make will be more researched and click friendly. smile

7. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

Ok, well my hub's written and published - at last! Lets see how it goes smile

8. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 13 years ago

I'm not published yet.. still working away on earlier commitments...
    But I have to stop in and ask this:

WTF? How can a click be worth less than a penny?
    I have a hub that is showing 2 clicks today, and the total earnings = 1ยข.

neutral

I am trying to find that out myself, have 2 Hubs, both showing 2 clicks and 1cent. Must be people using 5cent PPC adverts? lol

9. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 13 years ago

I think I will give a shot at it with a hub coming soon. A hub experiment with a twist! smile

10. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

Found some new niches and working on the layout so that I can do at least 10 to 15 hubs in a group for the micro niche, because my goal is to backlink them all together.

I just have to research the topic and then start writing the hubs but I am certainly inspired to do it since so many people are excited to try to make what Misha has achieved.

11. Smart Rookie profile image60
    Smart Rookieposted 13 years ago

I've been out of the loop for a while, but it seems to me there aren't any guidelines to this "Misha Challenge" other than to make $100 a day with adsense with one hub.

I would really like to achieve that, and if there was a reliable way to possibly do it without some voodoo or sorcery, I would work relentlessly to make it happen.

When I hear - here's your challenge: make $100 a day in adsense from one hub, I think, okay, and while I'm at it, I'll become President of the United States and King of Jupiter, cure cancer, and win a triathlon.

I'm game and I've got a can-do attitude - the sky's the limit! Right guys?
    sad

12. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76

Doing some keyword research. Looking also at as many long-tails as I can relate and find to go with the main keywords.
    Have the hub in 'work in progress' mode in Word, so its not even on HubPages yet.
    I am going to look at trying the 'bum marketing' method for backlinking, as I tend to write article after article on other sites anyway.
    ....and of course updating the related blog.

13. viryabo profile image95
    viryaboposted 13 years ago

I noticed that the *'s in my stats for backlinks on the hub i'm working on for this challenge has increased from one * to four *'s. Plus the hubscore moved up really quickly within a day?

Is this an indication that something is working?

BTW, did i mention that i'm in?

14. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

sounds like a worthy challenge to me!

btw, has anyone seen our resident russian this past week? hmm

15. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76

Hmmm, we seen to have been Misha-less so far

16. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I made my first hub yesterday that uses some of the tricks in this thread,,,,,

And so far it's the lowest hub I've ever made, not moving at all. lol

Of course it takes time to get the backlinks and have them do their job. I think I'll make a few more so I have some to compare with.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if you have one with the potential, it can build links on its own. one of my hubs that I'm going to focus on has 4 incoming links, 3 of them that I had nothing to do with. traffic is building each day along with clicks, but I've got a long way to go to reach the $100. daily goal.

17. Boomer60 profile image61
    Boomer60posted 13 years ago

Long weekend! Now I have time to work on getting some more backlinks. So far my hub of choice for this challenge is going downward and it is still unranked in Google. :-)

I know this is going to take time but I sure would like to see some movement with this hub. Upward movement preferably.

Same here too folks, the hub is out and released 'Into-the-wild" and has a very teensy trickle of traffic. I am expecting that for some time to come since I am now in mad article writing and publish mode (already written six today).

Will still produce hubs from time to time as I really enjoy it here, and will tweak that special hub also, but would like also to a LITTLE upward trend of the hub.

Ok back to more articles......

18. Sara555 profile image67
    Sara555posted 13 years ago

wow! $100 a day?!?!! I've just started an account a few days ago. I've written 3 hubs but my only readers are people from Hubpages so sadly I have not gotten even one click on ads... sad

If you write, they will come, if you write more, they will come, if you participate, they will come, if you write even more, they will come, if you provide solid, quality, useful, funny, relevant information, they will come, if you back-link, and back-link often, they will come.

I'm not sure what else I may have missed, but they will come smile

19. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

*** Re-Bumping ***

Does anyone remember this challenge?????

20. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

Nelle never did her make her monthly reports. The magic content spinner guy seems to have disappeared too. He annoyed a few people in his time, but fooled hardly anyone.

21. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

The enthusiasm and mutual encouragement in this thread is wonderful!

Unfortunately, there is nothing like this to be found on the dowdy, depressing forum threads that are currently the norm on this site.

So maybe the people who posted didn't make their goal. So what!  I'm sure that many of them learned many useful things along the way, which they have applied to their efforts here and elsewhere.

I know that at least five of the people who have commented on this thread are doing well with their own sites and other internet ventures now.

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you need to dig a little deeper into the ethos of the time before getting misty eyed.

1. WriteAngled profile image73
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was here two years ago and I am not misty-eyed.

When I first arrived here, there was a sense of excitement, a willingness to experiment and to discuss one's experiments with others. The forums were lively and fun.

Of course, not every experiment worked, but, as I said above, people learned how to be successful through their failures too. They applied that learning and thus were able to move on and be successful elsewhere. More power to them!

22. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

We should try something along these lines. Anyone up for it?

23. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

Okay. I am not sure that there is enough weight in this thread to entirely justify the charges but I will try to make up in a bravura performance for the paucity of argument. Just for fun.

The charge is this: the individuals provide in a microcosm the reasons (and the general drift of this thread illustrate quite clearly) why Panda arrived to prey on us all.

We have have the manic marketers.

We have the spun content backlinkers.

We have a variety of not especially clever Google cheats.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Will, are you responding to me or Writeangled?

When it comes to a fight I don't differentiate between the deluded. Please, feel free to take it as you wish. lol.

I would read the thread before getting involved, however.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
          Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deluded? I was merely suggesting that there might be room for some kind of challenge amongst hubbers who are unable to meet the demands of thirty hubs in thirty days or the apprenticeship program. Challenges can be great motivators, I wasn't suggesting for one minute that anyone try to scam anything.

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We also had some very successful hubbers who wrote long, interesting and extremely high-trafficked hubs!

I agree with Writeangled, the forums are a sorrier place these days without them.

And I, for one, DO NOT blame them for Hubpages downfall, not at all. In fact, those who do are deluded, blinkered, and perhaps a little envious.

Fine emotion. Now, tell me how Misha made his money here. That, after all, is the basis of this thread.

Do you think, Nelle grasped what was involved? Would she have followed a similar tactic?

And TerryG, would you buy his software?

It is a sad mess, the more you look at it.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Will, you pick on these guys because many of them picked on you in the past. I don't know why, it seemed to have started before I joined the site, but you ought to let it go!

They have left now, because they were marketers. True professionals, not like us, but I will not listen to a bad word against them, because these very same people taught me so much!

Misha made his money with just 19 hubs. It has since been shown that at least one of his hubs were spun, but it was so well done, it took a long time to notice. Indeed, I would still not have noticed if Jason hadn't called him out.

He probably backlinked the Hell out of each and every hub. Might seem like a dirty word now, but that was how to do it then. It made him at least $100 a day which is nice money in anyone's books.

Nelle had many years experience of internet marketing under her belt, and she was very free with her advice to newbies like myself.

I know for a fact that she did not backlink like crazy like some do, but she knew how to cleverly word her articles.
          She is not here now because the new rules of 50 words per affiliate item does not suit her style, but I bet you anything that where-ever she is now, she is still earning plenty.

TerryG I hardly knew, but he was an internet entrepreneur and again, he is probably doing very nicely on his own sites.

So no, it isn't a sad mess.

We on Hubpages are all the poorer without them.

The most vocal participants in thread all failed, Izzy. And it was obvious to anyone reading Google's announcements of the time that they would fail.

Looking through this thread I see people who used paid backlinks, spun content backlinks, networks of splogs, barrages of shallow marketer pages and the thinnest of content.

You need to quit the hero worship because emulating any of these cowboy approaches is harmful to your online health.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I didn't 'emulate them', as you put it. I would have liked to, at one point, but glad now I didn't have the patience/money.

What you need to remember is that these guys knew what they were talking about, especially when it comes to sites.

Google has moved the goalposts, and folks like me breathed a huge sigh of relief, because I really didn't like the game we had to play.

Backlinking still works. I can see that in the search results, when some crappy marketer with his plagiarised content gets to #1 with his 100,000 fake backlinks.

The people you are talking about didn't steal other people's work, well...except in the case of the spun content hub...the rest of them could write, and did.

Artificial backlinking became part of the game, you had to do it to stay ahead of the plagiarised, spun, poorly written content from people who couldn't write for toffee but has enough money to buy backlinking software.

We actually never had to do it here on HP, such was the strength of the platform - luckily for me.

What brought HP down was the sheer number of crap articles that reached #1 in search simply because they were written on this platform.

Oh, and this 'thin' content didn't come from the folk on this thread.

2. wilderness profile image93
              wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't know that the word "failed" is applicable, Will.  Both Misha and Nelle developed a "system", if you will, that was hugely successful.  Misha was, I think, a master at backlinking, and Nelle wrote the most effective sales hubs I've ever seen. 

Google made the changes, but until that point both were successful.  Nelle's hubs got large traffic, not because she promoted them so much, but because she gave readers what they came for.  Which, I might point out, is exactly what we are told to do in today's world of Panda. 

That Nelle's hubs were perceived by HP to be something Panda didn't want (and right or wrong, that was the perception) and put a stop to the most successful sales system ever used on HP was the reason for her "demise".  Had Nelle been writing on her own site with the same system and methods, I have little doubt it would have been as successful there as she was on HP.  She didn't fail - HP (and maybe google) did.  She gave what readers wanted and HP said "No, we don't want that on our site" because that's what they thought google said as well.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
              Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Of course, they have all gone on to bigger and better things.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
                Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A+

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
              Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How do you know?  It's true that you don't see them on HubPages any more, but don't assume they're weeping over it.    Most of them have moved on to other projects and are still making  a full-time living online. 

The OP, Nelle, is a perfect example.   Her Hubs didn't "fail" - she moved the lot elsewhere, because she disagreed with the change in HP's rules post-Panda.  And I believe she's still doing fine.

24. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

Geez,

For some of you, your right, you did quite turn into a cranky lot that's happy to bitch on the forums at most opportunities.

WriteAngled at least expressed the gist of this post Panda. Most went on to doing different things to get to their goals and power to them, Whether it is through getting $100 dollars a day through Hubpages OR DOING OTHER THINGS ELSEWHERE ON THE WEB good luck to them.

Yes I also know some who are doing quite well thanks.

The point of this thread and in which it still stands is can one reach a goal of $100 for one hub to occur on one day.

In light of that 'goal' no-one gives a sh*t about Panda's, Penguins, Misha's whereabouts, Nelle's Amazon pages, et al.

That's ancient history beyond belief and REALLY is too long in the tooth now. For those that want to bitch about Panda, Penguin and Googles failings & how HubPages not the place it used to be and they ned to stop making horible changes, blah, blah, blah, how about go and whinge of a forum of your own choosing (Not on HubPages) rather than sucking up the pages here, yeah?

This is why the forums suck for some of you here, you've lost your sense of excitement and pleasure in writing here. This also seems to diminish with each major change on the site.

25. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn481KcjvMo

A powerhouse left here, knowing exactly when to hold, fold, walk, and run, knowin' what to throw away and knowin' what to keep.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)