New Idle feature seem to be affecting indexing of articles

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 11 years ago

Usually I can find my articles on Google within a few hours, sometimes minutes. Now it seems I can't even find my articles on the site for more than 36 hours after they are published.

I believe the new idle feature is affecting how hubs are indexed. Doesn't this affect traffic? What is causing this to happen?

HP promises that the hub will be removed from idle status within 24 hours but it stays in the idle mode much longer.

I am asking that the newly published hubs leave the idle status within the specified time and that any glitch that would affect indexing be fixed.

1. cactusbythesea profile image78
      cactusbytheseaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Have you edited your "Pending" Hubs at all after submitting them and before they are marked as "Published"?  Apparently the 24 hour "Pending" period is reset if you touch your Hub at all during that time. This why some Hubbers are experiencing very long wait times before a Hub will publish.  This information is from a post just made today by a HP Staff member.  You can see it here :
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/102577? … ost2194173

I think a few Hubbers would have appreciated a warning about editing "Pending" Hubs before this change went into effect.

Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, I haven't done that. But I always check to see if my hubs are indexed and how soon. The new hubs seem to take a few days before I see them in search. The other day, I couldn't even find my hub on the site, even in the new hubs pages.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is something that was mentioned before, and it would be good to have it clarified.

I understood that an "Idle" Hub wouldn't be indexed by Google, but it was still visible within the HubPages community.  However in practice, it seems that an "Idle" Hub is visible only to people who've got the link, because it doesn't appear anywhere - in new Hubs, tag pages or searches.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The initial idle period for a Hub is 24 hours.
      If you edit the Hub then that resets the Hub to 24 hours again.

Idle Hubs are searchable on the site and you can get to them directly via their URL.

There is much more info related to this topic in the Blog post for Idle Hubs.
      You can find that blog post and related discussion here:
      http://blog.hubpages.com/2012/08/introducing-on-idle/

Hi Matthew, I know I can get to the hub via it's URL but some hubbers do like to check the category pages to see their hub after being published. I also like to see if my hub is categorized as hot or not. Usually within a few hours you will see the hub on the latest hubs page and withing a day you will see it on the hot hubs page. Now it seems that no matter how many hits and comments I get for a new hub, it doesn't show up on the latest or hot hubs pages.

BTW Matthew, I like how vigilant you are. I really appreciate the work you are doing. You have a new fan here. smile

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
          Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are all the time-frames you mentioned those from before the introduction of Idle Hubs?

My understanding is that a Hub will not show in hot, etc. until that period has lapsed.

This Learning Center has a bit more info.
          http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Feat … -Idle-Hubs

We are working to update the FAQ to address some of these questions as well.

Also, thanks for the kind words!

maybe this idle thing should not include new hubs but those sitting wihtout traffic for a while. New hubs with the potential for organic traffic should not have to wait especially for accounts that have been getting steady traffic from outside. HP should have an idea whose hubs are usually indexed by Google quickly and whose hubs take a while. I really think new hubs should be given the chance to be free!

Let the search engines do their jobs. If the hub is search friendly it will be indexed if not it will not be picked up by Google or other search engines, then it can go into idle mode and hubbers will know that their hubs need tweaking.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
              Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This sounds like a great solution! Very well stated! I agree.

2. Cardisa profile image88

I just thought of something else. If the hubs take so loge to be indexed wont that affect us if/when our hubs get stolen? Usually Google was able to pick up our hubs as soon as published so that if someone should steal them they can tell the difference. Now as is, someone can steal our hubs and publish before they get indexed, I cringe to think about going through that again!

2. janderson99 profile image53
        janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The real issue is that it is taking more than 5 days for some hubs to get indexed after the 24 hour period when they are 'featured' and the NOINDEX tag is removed. It appears to take much longer now to get pages indexed than it did before even after the extra 24 hours delay. Any explanation for this? It varies at lot for no apparent reason.

3. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have had new and idle hubs take well over 24 hours myself before Google would pick them up. I even tried to force Google to index the hubs using Google Webmaster, but to no avail.

I certainly do agree that this is not cool at all.  Especially for new material by members who have had no issues in the past with what they publish.  This is what they used to do to members who had to be reviewed for various REASONS...making them wait.  Now it is unilateral.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I think the comment might relate more to the new 'pending' thing existing at all.  If Google like fresh stuff, suppressing new material seems counter-intuitive.  So the hub has some change of being indexed starting at 24 hours, but then there is the usual period it takes for the bots to find it (another 24-hours or more).

3. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

It appears to vary quite a lot. I have one article publsihed on 2nd Sept that has been indexed while another indexed on 31 Aug has not. Very annoying!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)