Let's make our own jobs!

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

If you believe in America, if you believe anything is possible if you wish hard enough and word hard enough, don't wait around for the next employment report. It's not going to be good. They don't want it to be good!
    Don't wait around for "them" to lift you up or help you out.
    What if they won't? What if it's all a scam?

We're smart, clever, ambitious people.
    What if we make your own jobs?
    If each one of us employed ourself and maybe one other person, wouldn't that make a difference? Certainly it would!

New motto: Work... so Tinkerbell can live!
    lol

http://www.1-800-translate.com/TranslationBlog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/tinkerbell-pixie-1.jpg

1. jacharless profile image75
      jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

TINK! Not very talkative, pouts often. Probably the most anatomically correct cartoon legs ever. lol.

I actually created my own job not long ago. It blends raw philosophy with an approach to philology based technology or programming (i.e a new programming language}. Interim, write articles, build web-based software, web presences and soon to come a complete mobile CMS platform. But would really, really enjoy being a freelance educator.

James.

2. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

...and that sentiment is what a healthy economy is built upon.

I took a drop in income when I left school and could no longer do my newspaper round/s, milk delivery and 'bike' renovations.....

I left 'employment' two years later and have been self employed ever since (over 40 years) and never wanted to work for anyone since.

I accept that not everyone is equipped to create their own employment, but everyone could start trying to when they cannot find other folk to engage their services, and some may be surprised to find they not only enjoy it, but are good at earning sufficient to meet their needs, possibly in time employing others and allowing them to meet needs also.

Go for it.

http://timemanagementninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Just-Do-It-Now.jpg

3. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we CAN, CAN, CAN!    THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX, BE YOU!

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Sure, everyone can start their own business and then they will have to do all the work themselves smile

I am actually creating my own job as a freelance writer.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me too. Also thinking about what it would take to set up a food co-operative. Cutting the big boys out and supplying good, locally sourced food!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That sounds great. Community supported agriculture is the way to go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community- … griculture

I've been doing some research, this will be my next hub also. Create jobs locally and offer communities fresh, affordable food.

2. peeples profile image93
        peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We have no co-op withing 50 miles of me. I wish someone would take up your idea as well! There's only so much I can grow myself!

Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That makes me sad for you, Peeples!
          I am already sad for Hollie, living in UK where broccoli is very costly (per posts in another thread).
          Also makes me feel very blessed to live in the heart of an agriculture region.
          We have farmers' markets every day of the week within 5 miles of my house.
          We have awesome delivery service for organic veggies and fruit.
          Grocery stores have organically grown sections (although they do charge $$$ for organic).

But I love the thinking here! Be creative!

We have farmers markets every Sunday at different local markets and they're brill! But for people without transport and little money it's really difficult to access them.  There is one guy who has a walk on walk off van, he sells loads of lovely organic stuff but he's only at certain points for a about half an hour. Mothers with kids who work and also have to pick their youngsters up from school can't always make the points. Got thinking cap on...

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60

At least you're growing it though, great start. Perhaps this is something you might be able to get involved with if you can spare the time?

1. peeples profile image93
            peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We usually do a road side stand for the leftovers we have, then donate what will waste to the food bank. Still would be nice to find some place close to get good fresh food from. Even the farmers markets here are just mostly people who drive to the southern part of our state and pick it up. So still not really local or fresh! sad

Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://www.localharvest.org/

Check into CSA. Might make organic more accessible.
              smile

3. profile image0
        HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hollie, your idea is a good one. Go for it.

If there was some way you could take phone orders and deliver to those folks who can't make it to the farmer's markets, you'd be providing a service many would be happy to pay for.

I have a neighbor who starts seedlings in his sunroom every December and by summer, they're gorgeous. He sells them  right off his driveway - for about one month in the summer. Every year, he's made enough for his wife and him to go on an international vacation.

Another guy I know bought three alpaca's and started selling the wool to local carders. His herd is now about 20 or so - and he has buyers lining up to buy the wool. Very good profits there.

Thanks Howard,

I'm seriously considering it, and I also think it's something that my son could get involved with. He's currently sending dozens and dozens of job applications out with absolutely no joy. Real shame, he's spent three years in further education for this! Still, this could be a nice start for him.

4. Reality Bytes profile image76
        Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We have a hubber that grows food in abandoned buildings!

http://cheaptrick.hubpages.com/hub/Our-latest-venture

An awesome Idea, a motivating story!

1. aguasilver profile image70
          aguasilverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant.... maybe Dean could give us an update!

3. profile image0
    HowardBThinameposted 11 years ago

Except for two jobs when I was younger - one as a lifeguard and another flipping burgers, all the other jobs I've had I made myself.

If given the choice, I'll mow yards and shovel snow before I work for someone else. Not that I love mowing yards, mind you.

I won't relinquish my right to make my own way in the world. I won't give someone else that power over me.

I can't imagine ever thinking that someone owes me a job or a certain wage.

Maybe that's the difference between conservatives and liberals. Conservatives want more freedom.

4. carol3san profile image61
    carol3sanposted 11 years ago

Aside from nursing, there is nothing much I'm really good at doing.  I've worked independently in nursing for a long time, but I pretty much retired some time ago.  All I need to do now is to supplement my retirement income.  I've been trying to make a second career in writting, but we all know how hard a job that is to break through...So I'm now working as an affilient promoting other people's products for now.  But I'm still not getting what I call real money.

5. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 11 years ago

I'm trying...  Still thinking my options through.

1. profile image0
      SusieQ42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I write articles for businesses websites, have 3 blogs and write for Hub Pages.  That's the extent of my "own jobs."  My son buys, remodels and rents houses and has 3 or 4 part time employees and several businesses he uses to do repair work.  They install and maintain air conditioners, install flooring, cabinetry, drywall, etc.    My dream is to grow veggies but have no sunny area on my property to plant a garden.

1. profile image0
        LikaMarieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's cool.  smile  I like the veggie garden idea also.

I have my own cause, and if I can get it off ground, I can employ a couple people.  In the mean time, I'm learning how to sew, and using original type ideas to make quilts, such as using your baby's favorite blanket or something and incorporating that as the center piece for an adult bed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)