What was your favorite convention moment?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Bipartisan thread. Fave moments from RNC, DNC, both, welcome.

Gotta say, Gabby Giffords proudly, passionately, enthusiastically leading the Pledge of Allegiance epitomizes what America is all about.

1. wavegirl22 profile image48
      wavegirl22posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I cried. Yes MM what a moment!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEuWuqZigD4

2. phion profile image60
      phionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Although critics tore him a new one, I think Clint Eastwood's...The politician’s are our employees moment brought a basic but lost reality to light.

Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, they could not fit 535 empty chairs on the RNC stage.
        smile

1. phion profile image60

I think your number should be more like 635 plus one.

535 equals entire Congress, right? 435 House 100 Senate(?)
            Add 9 for the SCOTUS and 1 for the POTUS.
            I'm not the best at ARITHMETIC.
            lol

3. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Two options.  When Obama said take two tax cuts, roll back regulations, and call me in the morning, or when Clinton said the GOP would double down on trickle down.

4. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Mighty Mom this is a good question
      Probably 5

When Elizabeth Warren so aptly described the Wall Street rip off artists and their temerity of strutting around Congress like they have done nothing at all.

Bill ClintoN: criticizing Ryan and the GOP lies regarding the Affordable Care Act    "takes a lot of brass"

Bill Clinton: explaining as only he could that no president, neither he nor his predecessors could expect to correct all that was ailing the economy at the magnitude Obama found it in just four years.

John Kerry: Mentioning that Mitt is still locked into cold war politics and that a man that could create a gaffe with an ally like Britain could not be trusted to negotiate thru more nuanced foreign policy challenges.

The Governor of Michigan: the energetic endorsement of Obama and criticism of Romney as out of touch as a man and in regards to actually creating jobs was electrofying. (Mitt Romney has an elevator for his car while giving the American worker 'the shaft' )
      Gosh, even James Taylor said that even though he is an old white man, the GOP lead demographic), that loves Obama
      All of this have got to put the rightwinger on the run!

1. JayeWisdom profile image89
        JayeWisdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I fervently hope so!

1. Credence2 profile image79

Thanks, me too!

5. phion profile image60

I missed it live, but the vote to amend the DNC platform to return mentions God of Israel was epic. Talk about division.

2. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 11 years ago

I missed Gabby Giffords,but for sure I will watch it when Obama is finished .. but for me so far it has got to be Michelle Obamas speech. Her words were straight from the heart, Refreshing how not once did she insult Mitt, nor did she engage in petty politics. She spoke from the heart with grace, humility and class. Listening to her was definitely something I wont ever forget.

Absolutely. A class act all the way.

And not to break from the issues but for one moment I have got to say that i love, love, love how Michelle looks at her husband. Its real and it is pure love.

They are the real deal.
          The hug between them as Barack took the stage tonight ... bona fide.

3. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 11 years ago

"As citizens, we understand that America is not about what can be done for us. It’s about what can be done by us, together.”

1. JayeWisdom profile image89

That line reminds me of Jack Kennedy's, "Ask not what American can do for you, but what you can do for America."

I absolutely agree!

4. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image73
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years ago

Clint Eastwood by far.

Washington Post columnist Kathleen Parker nailed with an article that was entitled "Eastwood serves up perfect metaphor for Obama" in my local paper. I see the article has various different titles on online newspaper sites, although the message is the same.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that was a great moment for Obama.  For Mitt?  Not so much.

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image73
        BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I thought Obama's reaction reflected jealousy. Obviously Clint is a much better actor than Barack.

5. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

Loved Bill Clinton, Michelle Obama, and Barack Obama was awesome tonight:

Now, our friends at the Republican convention were more than happy to talk about everything they think is wrong with America, but they didn’t have much to say about how they’d make it right. They want your vote, but they don’t want you to know their plan. And that’s because all they have to offer is the same prescription they’ve had for the last thirty years:

“Have a surplus? Try a tax cut.”

“Deficit too high? Try another.”

“Feel a cold coming on? Take two tax cuts, roll back some regulations, and call us in the morning!”

6. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I think John Kerry deserves huge props for this line.
    I hope to see this get some traction. It's HUGE:

"Our opponents like to talk about 'American Exceptionalism,' but all they do is talk," said Kerry, in the Democratic National Convention's featured address on foreign policy. "The only thing exceptional about today's Republicans is that -- almost without exception -- they oppose everything that has made America exceptional in the first place."

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't see Kerry's speech - or Giffords. Wish I'd seen Giffords' pledge. I heard it was an amazing moment.

1. habee profile image92

Bad MM! Friends don't make friends cry!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2454/3633688717_beeae10265.jpg

Here you go, friend.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Kerry knocked the ball out of the park. Rumor has it he's replacing Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State. He would make a good one. I didn't hear all the speeches but of those I heard Congressman John Lewis's speech were the most moving for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1YtlOXDfyA

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
          Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't watch much but I did make a point of watching John Lewis. Of course, Clinton's speech was amazing. There were a few other moments that stood out.

7. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I'm disappointed in you guys. Just couldn't give kudos to "your team" without criticizing the other, could you?? lol

I LOVED Clinton. I really liked Michelle's speech, too. I also liked the atmosphere at the DNC better.

I liked the stories from people Mitt had personally helped. I liked the line from Mitt's speech that went something like, "President Obama promised to slow the rise of the oceans and heal the planet. I just want to help you and your family."

RNC = I liked Chris Christie's speech best.
      DNC = As much as the grand slam of MO, BC, JB and BO speeches, for me what stood out was many, many smaller moments (Cory Booker, Deval Patrick, Caroline Kennedy, John Kerry, Scarlett Johansen, the two "Gabbys" leading the pledge, lots of dancing and tears).

1. habee profile image92

I didn't see Christie's speech. I'm not a big fan.

8. Jean Bakula profile image92
    Jean Bakulaposted 11 years ago

I was amazed at the diversity of the people in the audience at the D Convention. But even at the R one, when the cameras would pan the audience, so many people were crying. Tonight Joe Biden was almost in tears at the end of his speech too. So much emotion! It was great to see Gabby Giffords able to say the Pledge. I think President Obama did a good job too, he humbly asked for votes. But he and Biden outlined many plans for many projects, saved the auto industry, trust women to make choices about their own bodies, and showed respect for our soldiers. They also will not cut education, which is preposterous to even ponder when our young people are losing ground on reading, math and science to Asian countries and India. Both Mrs. Obama and Mrs. Biden have spent many hours sending care packages and showing our thanks for our troops. It's shameful that the R's didn't give any respect to our soldiers in uniform, when they are always so hawkish (although their family members rarely serve and get out of it). Even Senator Lindsey Graham from SC commented that it was getting hard to find angry, old white men for the GOP anymore! I am glad President Obama did use the words hope and change, although not together, as he's been crucified by that. But if you don't have hope in your life when you want to accomplish something, you are sunk right from the start. Change is inevitable.

Hey!
      Welcome back!!!

9. Doodlehead profile image48
    Doodleheadposted 11 years ago

LOL  Ha Ha!

10. Jean Bakula profile image92
    Jean Bakulaposted 11 years ago

Thanks! It's great to be back.

11. profile image0
    Elizabeth Dorssomposted 11 years ago

I loved the Ted Kennedy tribute.

12. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

I loved the whole thing. It was loud, full of power and joy, diverse, gave women their voices and brought out the finest speakers in a long time.

There was more content, meaning and truth in just one of the speeches at the DNC than there was during the entire Republican debacle. No one talked in circles without saying anything.

I cannot believe that national train wrecks like Romney and Ryan are even close in the polls. Obama needs to win. America needs to get the Tea Party out of the House of Representatives.

Xenonlit, the big issue for me is getting rid of the excess of Republicans in Congress so that the President can keep his promise regarding programs to deal with the unemployment issues.

Do you believe there is a conspiracy to keep unemployment high, to deliberately NOT create jobs, to make Obama look bad?
        Businesses are sitting on cash but not hiring.
        If Romney gets in, will these businesses suddenly cough up the jobs?

You, know, MM, great minds think alike. The thought has more than crossed my mind at any one occassion that the plutocrats will respond to Romney, buttressing the GOP brand opening a flood of economic opportunity until there is no more want.

Yes, I think there is a conspiracy from GOP reps in Congress to the well heeled who have a lot to gain in supporting a party that has their best interests at heart, consequently they will throw the working man a bone, but not without a price. It will come at the price of unions, and even more concessions made by the workers to their 'kindly' benefactors. This gives the plutocrat and their interests the window of opportunity needed to keep looting the treasury at our expense.. This, of course, bringing us all closer to a feudalistic society that the rightwingers crave.
          You are damned right, I believe it!

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
          Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not likely. The conspiracy on the part of the GOP to sabotage Obama in every way possible to make him look bad is no secret.

No there's not a conspiracy or no, they won't provide jobs to Americans even if they get their guy in there?

2. Credence2 profile image79

Thats a big 10-4, Ralph!

2. JayeWisdom profile image89

Xenonlit...Those "national train wrecks", Romney and Ryan, are close in the polls because so many American voters have swallowed the propaganda. The GOP targets the under-educated/biased/fundamentalists religious in the poor states by pushing all their social issue hot buttons--abortion and gay rights are the two biggest "sins" that these people feel obligated to oppose (because they're told to from pulpits by their preachers breathing fire and saying Democrats are unholy.  These people do not understand they're shooting themselves in the foot economically by voting the way they do, and you cannot convince them. Facts are totally ignored. They spew the same lines that they hear on Fox "News" (and I use that last word lightly). Then they're on Facebook telling all their "friends" why they, too, should vote against President Obama (only they use numerous derogatory  spellings of his name), pulling out that garbage about him not being an American, etc. Let me tell you loud and clear:  racism in NOT dead in America. It's live and well and living in the GOP, which is the old rich white man's party, but it plays on fears and biases of people who do not check facts....they only listen to what they're told and do what they're told by the GOP. We have every right to fear THEM.

13. profile image0
    HowardBThinameposted 11 years ago

Clint and Gabby.

Both were great.

Amazingly, there does not seem to be any backlash on Gabby Giffords.
      I was expecting indignation for the shameles "using" of Congresswoman Giffords to further the Dem agenda.
      But just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not out there... somewhere.

If I do see some, I am going to launch my own "anti chair abuse" campaign.
      No chair deserves to be treated like that. Shame on you, Clint!
      lol

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image73
        BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why should anybody object to Gabby Giffords?

She was a victim.

Just like millions of taxpayers who have to pay for Obamabaloney.

and your point is?

If you look,  you can sorta kinda see a connection here.
            Taxpayers are victims in that we are now paying for negligent Bush policies under Obama's watch (take that as narrowly or as broadly as you see fit).
            Gabby Giffords is a victim who also paid for negligent Bush policies on Obama's watch (obscenely strong NRA gun lobby, mental health care means closing clinics/intitutions and dumping the mentally ill out into the streets).

I figured as much but I wanted to see his take on this one!

2. profile image0
              HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I love Gabby. She's an incredible woman - a strong woman. i think she crosses partisan lines to show us what the best among us can be and do.

1. phion profile image60

Nice to see the topic of the thread back in the comments.

14. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I found most of the DNC very inspiring.  Even Joe Biden brought a few teary moments for me.  I loved the way Michelle reached into our hearts and touched the human thread that we all share.  I think that's what I liked most about the entire DNC,  the emphasis on 'we're all in this together'.  Moving forward, not backward.  President Clinton was electrifying.  Gabby brought tears just seeing her walk.

I didn't watch hardly any of the RNC.  It had an entirely different feel, not a lot of substance, just the same attacks we hear over and over.  I have no interest.  I know what they used to stand for, it's no longer the same GOP my parents generation knew and respected.

15. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

Just popping in to apologize for my previous post in this thread.  I stopped in yesterday and posted a few quick comments in multiple threads and somehow missed the "bipartisan" adjective at the top.

Anyway, just had to say that.  Carry on.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)