Mitt's Broken Promises

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

Alright all you anti-Mittenites, I need your help.

I want to find promises that Romney made while running for governor that he didn't keep.

2. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Good topic. Requires research.
    Meanwhile, here's an interesting promise he made at the RNC

http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/29/puert … ood-video/

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that a good thing? That he would support the voice of the people?

GA

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sure. If it's what the people of Puerto Rico want. I wasn't saying it was a bad or empty promise. Just interesting.
        smile

2. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would imagine that Obama would be all over any lies... but there doesn't seem to be that much ammo from that aspect.

I don't know much about Puerto Rico though... is there a reason they don't want to become a state?

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politi … ationship/

It appears that changing relationship to statehood is not a wildly popular option in PR.

3. Mighty Mom profile image78

Ok, found this from ABC News.

The Obama campaign is opening a new front in its war against GOP rival Mitt Romney, ABC News has learned, with planned attacks to begin this week on Romney’s record as governor of Massachusetts and the campaign promises Democrats say he left unfulfilled.

1. On jobs, for example, Romney pitched himself in 2002 as a conservative businessman who could right the economic ship after the tech bubble burst led to layoffs across the Bay State.  During a Boston debate, Romney said, “I have experience in the private sector building and creating thousands of good jobs, and I want to bring that skill for you here in Massachusetts” – a theme he regularly reprises today.

Those promises notwithstanding, Massachusetts was 47th out of 50 states in job creation under Romney. In manufacturing jobs, Romney presided over a net loss of 40,000 jobs, a drop of 12 percent according to Labor Department data.

Economists say the dip in unemployment under Romney — from 5.6 percent to 4.7 percent — was largely because so many residents left the work force; as the Washington Post noted in February, one economist says that the only state to lose more members of the work force during that same period was Louisiana, which in 2005 was hit by Hurricane Katrina. 
    Job growth did go up in Massachusetts with net positives in three of four years Romney served, but the pace was well below the national average during a boom time.

2. Then, as now, Romney pledged he would close the state’s budget gap without raising taxes. In 2002, then-candidate Romney told voters that he would “fight taxes at every turn” and solve the state’s budget problem “without raising taxes.”  He also opposes tax increases of any kind in his bid for the White House, writing in a USA Today op-ed earlier this year, “As president, I will firmly oppose tax increases.”

But as Factcheck.org notes, the “Massachusetts Department of Administration and Finance says that fee increases during Romney’s tenure added up to $260 million per year, with another $174 million raised from closing some corporate tax ‘loopholes.’ The independent Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation puts the revenue total of fee hikes and tax loophole-closings at between $740 and $750 million a year.”

Romney’s claim that he stood by a no-new-taxes pledge as governor was judged by the libertarian Cato institute to be “mostly a myth.”

3. Romney pledged as a candidate ten years ago to reduce the size of government; on the campaign trail he says he achieved that.
      ”We didn’t just slow the rate of our government, we actually cut it,” he told CBN earlier this month. It’s true that Romney cut 603 jobs from of agencies under his direct control, as the Boston Globe noted in 2007 — but overall the size of government grew.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Geez Louise.... relying on "the straight" story from ABC is getting to be like quoting MSNBC....

Talk about spin and perspective....

Massachusetts ranked 50th when Romney took office BUT 28th in job creation when he left.

ABC, (and other anti-Romney critics) get their "47th" figure by AVERAGING the four yearly stats. They don't bother mentioning that his jobs creation record IMPROVED each year until it attained the 28th-in-nation position - not when they can use averaging to get the 47th number - It appears that where you finish is not important.  Geesh! Talk about "talking points..."

then...

So were they "boom time" years everywhere? In every state? Even when they admit he made improvements - they have to "qualify it" with a vague "so what" type mitigation

Well, at least they got this one right. But... has anyone compared his use if "fee" increases in lieu of tax increases to that of other state governors?  I admit I haven't - but my memory banks are tingling with a nagging thought that I have head something about this before...

So he did what he promised - in areas he could control - but he broke his promise because of actions in areas he did not directly control?  Geez! I guess I'm responsible for my neighbor's cat now, too.

But just for the record.... I'm not a big Romney fan - not by a long shot. I just get fired-up when I see "talking points" and spun and manipulated data put forth as truth - oh yeah, and opinions that self-righteously use the same as validation.

GA
      ps. I know MM, I know, you didn't write it you just put it out there. But... without a comment on it... that might seem to indicate you believe and support it.

2. profile image0

That's not a specific promise. He didn't say "I'm going to get unemployment to 3.5%" or anything like that(at least, not in this quote).

Massachusetts was last in job creation before he took office. It was 28th when he left. Shouldn't he ge t credit for taking it from last to 28th in 4 years? The 47th figure is so misleading. Fees aren't taxes... all he did was adjust fees for inflation, that's fine. Closing loopholes isn't raising taxes either, it's keeping people from taking advantage of poor legalese. This is the only one I don't know about, I'll have to look into that. I know he cut spending, adjusted for inflation.

I'm really looking for actual, certifiable, no-questions-asked broken promises(3 might be one). Like Obama saying he will cut the deficit in half, or close Guantanamo... the kind of thing that there is simply no question about, it was either done or not.

I'm impressed that even though his personal feelings on abortion grew stronger, he stuck by his promise to maintain the current laws... I just never hear about broken promises and want to know if there are any others.

4. Mighty Mom profile image78

Wash Po in fact checking MA Governor Deval Patrick's criticisms of Romney in his DNC speech included these three specifically related to jobs and taxes:

TRUE – By the time [Mitt Romney] left office, Massachusetts was 47th in the nation in job creation…

As Politifact has found, this stat checks out. But rankings are a terrible way of comparing job growth between states. Looking at the raw Bureau of Labor Statistics data, Massachusetts’ nonfarm payrolls grew by 0.97 percent between December 2002 and December 2006, whereas the median state, Arkansas, saw payrolls grow by 4.77 percent. So the substance of Patrick’s critique is correct. Mitt Romney did oversee decidedly lackluster job growth. Whether that’s his fault is a different question — governors have limited control over state economies.

TRUE – [Massachusetts] had a structural budget deficit.

The Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center concluded that the budget for fiscal year 2008, shortly after Romney left and Patrick took over, had a structural deficit even before the economic crisis hit. “While the immediate cause of Massachusetts’ fiscal crisis is the national recession,” the report concluded. “policy choices made over the past decade created a structural deficit that have reduced the state’s ability to address the economic downturn.” It is accurate for Patrick to hit Romney on this point.

TRUE – Business taxes were up…

According to the Tax Foundation, the Massachusetts corporate income tax rate stayed at 9.5 percent throughout Romney’s term. But Romney enacted a 14 percent surtax in 2004, in keeping with a broader trend of raising taxes on businesses. So Patrick is right on here.

1. profile image0

Nope. Nope. No no no no no no no.

The AVERAGE of his 4 years was 47th.

His last year it was 28th.

So, 'by the time he left', Massachusetts was ranked 28th, not 47th. That is a blatant lie.

As for the others, lol, I'm not going to address them tonight. I took some medicine that is making me groggy.

Wanted to post this though...
      http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state … ll-se.aspx

Apparently the 'assault weapons ban' that Romney signed wasn't actually that... the NRA approved of the bill. It was news to me.

5. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

The silence is telling...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)