Do you need to have a blog to set up an RSS Feeder

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)
  1. carol7777 profile image74
    carol7777posted 11 years ago

I guess I really don't understand this thoroughly. I opened to RSS capsule and tried to put a link and it wouldn't take it.

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I usually grab the link from the search field, then insert into the RSS capsule, save. It should work or may be only a temporary glitch, try a different browser? just some thoughts.

carol7777posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess I really don't understand rss.  Do you need to have a blog?  Do you use the link from the blog?  How important is this?

3. jacharless profile image75
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

Hi Carol.
    RSS is used to syndicate {gather} all the links of articles into one location.
    This makes finding articles much easier and more local for subscribers.
    As long as you can place the links within, you can feed articles from as many sites as you prefer.

For example, I have three Tech sites I write for, and have syndicated the links into one RSS Feed trough for visitors to  my personal website. I use it for increased inbound linking or social sharing on FB/Twitter versus one-link at a time. Some also use RSS for increased Ad placements, yada yada.

On Hub Pages, be careful not to add too many links, else it will through an error.

James.

4. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

You can 'subscribe' to a RSS feed. It gets 'bookmarked' in your favorites, under Feeds. I would have to say, yes, I believe you do need a blog to 'host' a link otherwise. I'm no tech nerd and could be wrong too lol

carol7777posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the help.  I guess I don't really understand the concept. I used the rss feed on a hub and added my blog address and it wouldn't take it. Being totally not great on all the internet language and navigations...it is hard for me to understand all this. And a big question how important is it?  I just want to learn all the stuff to be the most successful I can.

1. jacharless profile image75
        jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah, I see the issue.
        Okay, when you add a HubRSS Capsule, you can display a list of your hubs.
        In order for the Feed Reader to recognize the link, it must be in RSS format, like:
        http://carol7777.hubpages.com/hubs/latest?rss
        Which gets all your hubs and syndicates them.
        Add the capsule and paste this url in. It should add up to six links to your articles.

If using outside sources, the link must be to a standard xml/rss document to work correctly.
        Regular links to not act like rss links.

James.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)