"This is an advertisement not a hub"

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 11 years ago

The keywords Hubpages review are very strong. I missed writing about HP, short stories and such like. On my second account I decided to do a Hubpages review. I am not very good at reviews but I am using this platform to practice.

The hub was published today and this is the first comment "This is an advertisement not a hub", now tell me where these people get off. The title says hubpages review, why the hell would someone make a comment like that? Am I too sensitive?

1. Emanate Presence profile image69
      Emanate Presenceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, Cardisa, I don't know about 'too sensitive.' I understand and relate to your emotions about this. It is tempting to tell my story, but this is your thread. Suffice to say that two of my first three Hubs published yesterday were unpublished overnight. At least there was a respectfully written email to let me know and give me a chance to edit the Hubpages. Which I truly thought were well within compliance. I appreciate that Hubpages maintains a high standard. It is up to us to understand the rules of the game. Hey, I have to share that my Highly Sensitive People Hub survived the test last night. Not to promote my own Hub, but it seems so fitting to your question.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Yes, you're too sensitive. You see your hub written as you wrote it, others may see it differently.  Generally a 'review' reviews the overall good and not so good points of whatever it is being reviewed.

Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But did he have to leave a comment like that?

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Was it a Hubber?

Yes it was and I am hurt sad

1. paradigmsearch profile image61

Cardisa, I did a puff-piece on HP around spring of last year. Even after dozens of tweaks, updates, etc.: I still could never get it to get any traffic. So I killed it when Captain Z burst upon the scene. It will eventually appear on my blog. After reading this thread, I now have to decide: do I stay puff-piece, or make it a creditable review? If I decide to stay puff-piece, my first sentence will be something like, "I am a fan of HubPages, and here is why..." smile

Thanks PD, I realize that I was taking the comment too personally and I must brace myself for comments like that. Maybe it was not meant as an insult but just an honest opinion.

I would make the piece search friendly if I were you. I have done that with most of my earlier hubs as well.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

People do what they want, not what they have to.  i would just take it as one person's opinion, and that's all. If you don't like it: delete it.

I visited the hubbers' profile, out of curiosity and was not impressed, but you don't see me leaving comment like, "that is just your opinion not a hub"...lol

I am starting to feel better.  big_smile

3. Emanate Presence profile image69
        Emanate Presenceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You asked why the comment was written in a harsh tone. Let's take a look.

It is true, people always have a choice to be mean or kind to each other.

In general, when they snap or bark, people could be either covering their own fears; have low self-worth and are building their self-importance up by putting others down; or they have physical issues. When I am crunchy, I jokingly tell my partner, "It's the constipation." Thing is, as humans we all have the power to overcome such influences or tendencies if we will.

When someone bites at you, you can brush it off by saying to yourself with humor and non-judgment, "It's the constipation." Then, you could look at the comment without the biting energy and see if there is something to it.

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 11 years ago

Having just read the Hub, Cardisa, (or should I address my comments to "Emerald Strachen?"), I have to agree with the person who commented.  I don't find that Hub to be a fair and balanced viewpoint, and here are some of the reasons why I feel that way.

You say HubPages gets over 50 million visitors per month.  Quantcast.com reports that in the last month HubPages got 25 million page view globally. 

You say HubPages is a PR of 6.  Well, the front door (www.hubpages.com) is, but a lot of other pages on the site aren't.  In fact, you don't mention talk about how HubPages has been trying to get rid of low-value content at all.

You talk about making money from referrals, but don't actually go into the reality of how hard that is to actually get people referred who are both skilled and prolific, which is the only way to get money from referrals.

The only link in the entire Hub is a link to get people to sign up.  How about including links to other opinions about the site?  A review is pro and con, not just pro with a few sentences expressing "well, some people complain..."  You categorized it under "Comparisons between HubPages and other websites."  Where's the part comparing it to another website?

Also, the Hub seems utterly devoid of the experience of the person who wrote it, and to me, personal experience is essential to reviewing something.  Otherwise you are just advertising.

If you're going to practice in public, you're going to get public opinions, whether you ask for them or not.

Well, Hp does say it gets over 50 million visitors each month so they need to amend that info.

So wouldn't a comment such as yours be more productive?  Maybe not as long but something more than the snide comment. Again, maybe I am too sensitive and I write the way I see it.

One of the problems I may have is that I tend to see things in rose colored glasses and maybe I failed to mention anything negative because I don't have any negative hang ups on HP. I admit I could edit it some to show more of my personal view point.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61

No wonder I didn't find the hub... Thought she'd unpublished it...

No it's under my other account and I am editing it now. Hope it reads better. I feel so aweful now for making such a big deal, but if I didn't I wouldn't have got the help I needed.

4. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

It reads like a pure advertisement to me as well. There is no discussion of the pros and cons of writing on HP vs. other revenue sites, own web sites, paper publications. There is no critical look at what HP provides, no mention of the changes taking place and of the fact writers are divided in their opinions of those changes.

In addition to the figures cited by Relache, I have found two other over-estimates in your article:

You claim over 1.7 million hubs have been published and that there are over 150,000 active hubbers.

HP's own stats page cites:
    Published Hubs: 1,158,710
    Published Users: 147,597

Thank you.

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

The thing is, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and frankly I prefer honest opinions to the usual "good hub" comments which are probably written by people who never actually read it, only skimmed it.

Although I also thought the hub read like an advertisement (and you must be saying 'well done that commenter for getting me all those views now'), its not something I would have commented on at all, if you hadn't brought it to the forums.

Think about it, you have said very little that isn't already said in Hubpages own pages.

if you leave the hub 'as is', but add another few paragraphs outlining your own personal successes (or otherwise) on Hubpages, then you will have written something nearer a review that will read less like an advert.

Your commenter actually makes a refreshing change here on HP where no-one seems to want to comment negatively in case they hurt the author's feelings.

Sorry yours got hurt.

As a matter of fact, I am in the process of editing the hub as we speak and I am adding a few pointers that Relache and WriteAngled pointed out. I am not very keen on writing reviews but I want to learn as I also wish to write product reviews to make money! I though a good practice would be HP since I am here on the site.

Thanks to all of you for your honesty and I guess I was a little sensitive.

I have had people correct me in my hubs before. Some time ago Rmcrayne made a few pointers on a hub and she was so gracious about it. I guess when you get corrections and opinions like that you expect everyone else to follow suit.

6. WriteAngled profile image73

I think that a review gains credibility when the author comments on negatives as well as on positives.

There really isn't anything that is 100% perfect, although we may think we have found such perfection when we first discover something.

If I read a review, which mentions drawbacks as well as advantages, I feel I can trust the writer. I feel the writer not only is being honest, but also has been around for long enough to have experienced all aspects of the matter being reviewed. I am happy that I am given the opportunity to consider the bad as well as the good and thus feel more empowered to make a decision.

That is not to say that an all-positive review is necessarily dishonest. However, my usual reaction to such is to wonder whether the author is either being paid to write a glowing review or is very, very new to the topic, and still caught up in that original "glamour" of the place.

And yes, I also have been guilty at times of raving on too enthusiastically about something in the "first flush" of discovery!

Thanks Writeangled, I am taking all these comments under advisement (always like saying that) and am editing the hub. Good practice for me.

Gosh, hubbers are so helpful!

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

You might include what the apprenticeship program involves

Thanks, I never thought of that.

8. WriteAngled profile image73

It might also be useful, when citing any figures, to say "at the time of writing" or "as of September 2012", because I think these figures will be changing quite a bit. For example, I think the number of published hubs has decreased dramatically as spam/spin has been purged, and it will continue to do so even more with the idled feature in its current form.

I think what happened was that I wrote the hub some time ago and forgot to check the figures again.

I did some addition to the hub now up to 1300 words and still more to go. I did also put a special capsule with all the hp stats as is today quoting the date and all. I have added some cons and a write up on how hard it is to earn from eBay, Amazon and referrals. Will continue tomorrow as my eyes are tired.

9. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

Cardisa,

One aspect to try and remember is to write with your head and not your emotions when doing a review. One needs a thick skin like a Rhino as well when writing in general.

Read peoples suggestions, take on board what works for you, discard what will not.

I myself write because I enjoy doing it, even if there are some people who reckon I should go into a corner and shoot myself in the head twice because they commented my writing was worse than swimming in pig sh*t (got that as an email from one 'guest commenter)

You take the good and the bad......and keep writing.

Thank you KJ, I am a natural "heart" writer. Learning to write with my head is still in process. Thank you for the encouragement and I have also taken the above suggestions and made a few changes to the hub.

People who are online are so cruel. I would rather not comment than to insult someone and leave a comment like that, or send an email like the one you sent....so sorry about that. People aren't very nice!

10. psycheskinner profile image83

Writing something that might alert you to a way to improve your hub is not necessarily cruel.  On thr internet it is import to try and assume good intent.

I wasn't referring to my comment but the email KJ received....lol

11. psycheskinner profile image83

I was no commenting only on what you said but how others have replied characterizing the hubber who commented on your hub as mean, self-important and generally a bad person.  Which strikes me as not a fair assessment.

I see your point. For the record I never said or thought he was cruel, just insensitive. I have seen worse on others hubs smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)