Why is Ryan lyin'?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (108 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 11 years ago

[Paul Ryan] said on a national radio show that his best marathon time was under three hours, "I had a two hour and fifty-something." When in fact, thanks to Scott Douglas of Runner's World, it appears that his "personal best" was more than an hour slower, 4:01. ... The mystery in this case is why someone just stepping into the spotlight of national attention would risk telling an (a) entirely unnecessary and (b) very easily disprovable lie. It doesn't make "normal" political sense, where you lie to get out of a jam, or because you think you can't be caught

How many people really forget their personal best in a marathon competition particularly as he erred in a way that was to his advantage?

If he could lie about something that was not political and had no negative implications to his campaign, what else does he lie about that does? It is a matter of character as he has been caught more than once as fast and loose with the facts. This is just another liability that Romney has to bear as part of his campaign. More lies from someone who seems to find it easy to lie?

Your thoughts please.

1. Billy Hicks profile image81
      Billy Hicksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Every time I read a question/forum post like this (about dishonesty in politics), all I can ever think of is my favorite scene from Casablanca:

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rXq4_m3JsVQ/UCvnb7-2QpI/AAAAAAAAu0o/rXcaL8qGse4/s400/ClaudeRainsLouisRenault.jpg

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL, hilarious scene.

2. Mighty Mom profile image79
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol
        Round up the usual suspects!

3. Credence2 profile image78
        Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

What was it that Perry White told his reporter staff at the 'Daily planet' I want  that guy "Superman' to go with the Daily Planet, like beans and franks, politics and corruption..... A little levity never hurts..

2. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You know when a politician is lying? When his lips are moving.

3. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

OMG! You didn't go there.... Did you?

That was not a "real" question - it was a lead-in for a point you wanted to make.

You know very well why he would lie. He's a politician!

You think you have found another arrow for your quiver, but perhaps what you really grabbed was a holstered pistol to shoot yourself in the foot with.

Raising character and moral issues? Really... and after we just had that discussion about Clinton... tsk. tsk. And not just Clinton.

And talking about fast and loose with facts... not just picking on the DNC - because the RNC did it too - but there were so many Gumby facts in some of your top speaker's speeches - I felt like I was in a rubber factory. for example... no wait, I'll let you pick.

Glass houses... and all that. You know?

GA

But GA and Rhamson, it was such a stupid and useless lie. This guy Ryan is not even smart enough to know when to lie and when not to. And  it is as much a stupidity issue as one on how easily he is willing to change the facts. Why lie about your marathon score, let everybody see that you are a liar rather than save such a risky revelation before the public for a more dire circumstance that would at least merit it? Clinton at least knows that much!

I don't trust Ryan anyway......

2. Credence2 profile image78

GA, remember that classic line in the western "The Wild Bunch" with Bill Holden and the late Ernest Borgnine One of the bandits said to the other " I gave my word", the Borgnine character said, Nuts, what counts is who you give your word to..... They all do it, I know that, but you have to have some finesse and not be stupid about it.

4. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's very odd he would lie about something so insignificant.  Being honest would have no political risks whatsoever.

Unfortunately, Ryan is very truthy, and I guess he couldn't pass up an opportunity to attempt to lie.

1. JSChams profile image60
        JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You guys get lied to by your leadership every day and pass it right along.
        If you tell a lie long enough people think it's the truth.
        Don't you?

1. profile image0

Saying Obama lies doesn't magically make Ryan's claims true.

Never said it did Sooner. Never said it did. Now did I?

1. profile image0

I don't pass on what I think are lies.

It's not your fault man. It's called conditioning.

2. JSChams profile image60

However you have to just sit back and be amused at the picayune level The Party is going to in order to try and discredit him. I bet if you look hard enough you will find he ordered a sandwich at Subway without getting it toasted. Can we really trust someone whose sandwich isn't toasted?

1. profile image0

I like that word, picayune.  I'll have to incorporate it into my writing.

Ryan lying about the marathon isn't a huge deal in and of itself.  It's a very strange thing to lie about, especially when it's easily discredited.  The problem is his persistent distortion of the facts, and the marathon lie simply being an example.

Bill Clinton had a persistent distortion of the facts and one of his colleagues even commented what a good liar he was. Yet he remains one of the greatest heroes of the Democrat party. Do you even know how many lies he may have told in his speech at the Convention?
                Ted Kennedy even caused someone's death and he is possibly even a greater hero.
                Understand the problem here?

1. profile image0

Democrats don't make the same outrageous claims Republicans do, like global warming is a hoax, tax cuts pay for themselves, or tax increases destroy all economic growth.  I don't disagree you with that they do lie, but the level of distortion is not equivalent, on average.

Bill Clinton's claim about Democratic presidents creating more jobs than Republican ones was fact checked and...found to be true.  What big claim did Ryan make that was true?

I didn't say he made any claim that turned out to be true. I am merely pointing out that there  are liars in the Democrat party too. Big ones at that and if you know anything about Bill Clinton you know full well he told some whoppers. Openly. Into a microphone.

Sooner there are outrageous claims against Conservatives made every day which basically go all they into comparing the to the Nazi party. Outrageous and false. You know that.

5. phion profile image59
      phionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So just because a guy from "runner's world" said something makes it true?  Ohhh Ok.
      I guess I better vote for Obama, since this runner guy said a VP candidate lied about something not one of us can prove…sounds good. Wait no it doesn’t. 
      Not even a link to check out…Things that make you say hmmmm.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's just one example of Ryan's lyin'.

Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

We had a thread about Ryan's lies (marathon and other) a couple of days ago.
    Not surprisingly, his supporters trivialized it as no big deal and not in any way related to his fitness for office.
    I mean, there's running and there's RUNNING, right?

But the prevaricating pattern is concerning.
    Of all the convention speeches (RNC and DNC), Ryan's was fact checked to contain the most lies. Some accounts 5, others 8.
    He has lied about the CBO approving his plan when they didn't.
    The list goes on.

You're hardly alone in scratching your head over Ryan's whoppers.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc … ch/261775/

Excerpt:
    "To restate the larger points for the moment: The bad one is that a major party's nominee for national office apparently just doesn't care that he is standing in front of millions and telling easily catchable lies. T
    he less-bad one is that parts of the media are noticing, and are trying to figure out what they can do in response."

Thanks for the link, MM, As I said before there are few politician that do not stretch the truth from time to time, but this guy, verified over several sources seems to drop lies everytime he opens his mouth. While in the campaign mode and trying to convince us all that their leadership is a viable one to who is currently in charge, this is not helping.

3. Mighty Mom profile image79

For more insights into his motives, google 'Is Paul Ryan a narcissist?"

1. profile image0

Fixed.

Fixed again.

I dunno really about Ryan, but I never have really cared that much about VPs. Is he a younger sibling maybe? He might have grown up always playing the one-up game, so in his mind the story has grown.

Anyway, I care much more about Obama promising to keep unemployment under 8%, or cut the deficit in half, or be completely transparent in all lawmaking, than Ryan's marathon time.

1. Mighty Mom profile image79

So you are more concerned with holding someone accountable for things he really does not have 100% control over (for a variety of reasons) than someone deliberately and blatantly fibbing about something he did have 100% control over?

I thought you guys were all about rugged individualism, personal responsibility and all that.
        Hmmm.

1. profile image0

If Obama proposed a budget that cut the deficit in half, I would count that as promise kept no matter if it passed. He hasn't though.

I absolutely hold PROMISES from a PRESIDENTIAL candidate much higher than non-political stories from a vice-president.

At the end of the day, what would you rather have? A VP that told the right time for his marathon, or a president who kept his campaign promises?

Like I said, I don't care about VPs so much. The presidents are the ones who screw things up.

At the end, middle or beginning of any day, I don't want Paul Ryan. Period.

How many different sources do we need to hear this from?
            If you don't like the word liar, how does hypocrite grab you? As in, criticising Obama for things he himself proposed/voted for.

•An AP item headlined, "FACT CHECK: Ryan takes factual shortcuts in speech."
            •An item from NPR with a mildly "he said, she said" headline ("Fact Checkers Say Some of Ryan's Claims Don't Add Up") but that gets the main points across.
            •One just now from the NYT, with the headline "In Ryan Critique of Obama, Omissions Help Make the Case." It begins this way: "In his speech accepting the Republican nomination for vice president at the Republican National Convention, Representative Paul D. Ryan criticized President Obama for seeking Medicare cuts that he once sought as well, and for failing to act on a deficit-reduction plan that he too opposed."
            •Another excoriation by Michael Tomasky, in the Daily Beast, that is headlined "Paul Ryan's Convention Speech and his Web of Lies" and which begins, "It just boggles the mind to imagine how Paul Ryan can stand up there and lash Barack Obama for abandoning Bowles-Simpson when he did exactly that himself."
            •An item on the Fox News site for which there must be an interesting backstory, in which contributor Sally Kohn says that "Ryan's speech was an apparent attempt to set the world record for the greatest number of blatant lies and misrepresentations slipped into a single political speech."
            •On TPM, a catalogue with the headline "Top 5 Fibs in Paul Ryan's Convention Speech."
            •Update An excellent item I had somehow missed before, by Jonathan Chait in NY Mag, about "Paul Ryan's Large Lies and One Big Truth." Worth reading in general, and to see what that "truth" is.
            •And Dave Weigel in Slate, plus Zack Beauchamp in Think Progress, about the euphemisms some reporters still use in order to avoid saying that Ryan "lied."

1. profile image0

Ok, you don't want Ryan. Fine.

Ryan's not the presidential candidate.

Will you admit that Obama broke his promises about unemployment and the deficit?

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
                Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget GITMO. They have too much invested in him emotionally to judge him logically.

1. profile image0

Oh, don't worry. There are dozens and dozens and dozens of broken promises from Obama.

But, the budget is one he has at least partial control over. It's a MAJOR promise. He basically said it's the worst thing in the world to keep spending on deficit, and he never attempted to keep his promise of cutting it.

That should be the biggest game-changer.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

The Tea Tards in the House of Representatives prevented him from reducing unemployment as fast as he suggested he would.

1. profile image0

Nope... he got his stimulus, and he said the stimulus would keep us under 8%. He said the stimulus would have us at 5.5% by now.

The stimulus was cut back by 20 billion to get Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe's votes which were needed for passage.  If there had been more Republican support the stimulus package would have been bigger and more effective. Also, Obama's advisers may have underestimated how much was needed to spur a faster recovery..

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

The Republicans in the House and Senate were dragging their feet. If it had been up to them we'd in a double dip recession or another great depression.

3. Quilligrapher profile image73
                    Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Jaxson. Mind if I stick in my two cents?

While you and Ralph were debating the affects of the stimulus on unemployment and President Obama’s campaign promise of 5.5%, it occured to me that you are both correct. The President did not succeed in reaching his promise and a larger stimulus package would have probably resulted in a bigger, faster recovery.

Regardless of who signed the bill, why not brush aside the negativity and applaud the positive affects it has had on the recovery. Taking all the incentives in aggregate, the economy turned the corner and began to improve within 6 months of President Obama’s inauguration as the result of several aggressive measures including the Obama stimulus of 2009. So, while you are focusing on what did not happen, allow me to list a few positive things that did.

Contrary to the many claims that President Obama accomplished little or nothing in his first term, his stimulus bill was introduced in the House on his sixth day in office. Two days later, the bill was passed in the House without a single Republican vote. {1} The final Senate version passed on Feb. 10th on the votes of all the Democrats and only three Republicans. {2}

Alabama Republicans Jo Bouner and Robert Aderholt both denounced the stimulus plan from the floor of the House in July 2009. Over the next three months, both congressmen wrote to the Dept. of Transportation trying to steer stimulus-funded transportation grants to Alabama on grounds that the projects would help create “thousands of jobs.” So, while they knew that the stimulus plan would benefit the job picture, they voted against it anyway. Actually, more than 100 congressional Republicans and several Democrats who, after voting against the stimulus bill, wrote Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood seeking money from the $1.5 billion the plan set aside for local road, bridge, rail and transit grants. {3} I’m not smart enough to make up these facts but you check them out for yourself.

Why haggle over real and expected unemployment rates? If you want the real truth you have to delve into the details. Although both job creation in the private sector and real estate values continue to drag, the measured impact of all the stimulus programs has been a phenomenal success in other sectors. Princeton economist Alan S. Blinder and Mark Zandi, Chief Economist for Moody’s Analytics, have studied the results of all the stimulus packages. They concluded that “the effects of the fiscal stimulus alone appear very substantial, raising 2010 real GDP by about 3.4%, holding the unemployment rate about 1½ percentage points lower, and adding almost 2.7 million jobs to U.S. payrolls.”  “We estimate that, without the government’s response, GDP in 2010 would be about 11.5% lower, payroll employment would be less by some 8½ million jobs, and the nation would now be experiencing deflation”  {4}

Just to set the record straight, if Mitt Romney had signed this stimulus package and had had the same results, I would be applauding him now. However, he did not; President Obama did with no help from the Republican Party.
                    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
                    {1} http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/2 … 61654.html
                    {2} http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_R … sentatives
                    {3} http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= … eLiub0jnQE
                    {4} http://www.economy.com/mark-zandi/docum … ession.pdf

2. Repairguy47 profile image59

Clinton is a convicted liar, you don't seem to have a problem with that. Biden told us he use to frequent a restaraunt that had been closed for years, no problem for you.

Isn't it just unreal that one of the biggest heroes of the Democrat party is one of the biggest liars in American history?
                And they believe everything that drops out of his mouth!!

I'm not sure how Clinton keeps a straight face when he talks, he doesn't even believe his own bullshit.

Particularly the fact he can look them right in the face and lie to them and they KNOW he is lying and eat it up anyway.
                    But these are the more intelligent folks you know........

How funny.
                    Maybe Bill Clinton is actually Paul Ryan's role model du jour. Ayn Rand is out. Thomas Aquinas is obviously out, too. Maybe he's taking his political cues this week from Slick Willy.
                    However, to paraphrase on an old quote, we know Bill Clinton. Paul Ryan, you're no Bill Clinton (or Jack Kennedy, for that matter).

3. profile image0
              HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ryan told a "big fish" story.  LOL

That's not good and I'm not trivializing it. He lied.

But, to put it in perspective - remember what happened when the girl Obama was dating in NY claimed the things in Obama's book concerning her were lies?

Obama came up with the excuse that he really didn't mean THAT girl - even though he named her and described their time together - he really meant "a compilation of girls."

Politicians lie. Not all lies rise to the level of Bill Clinton's lies under oath, which earned him an impeachment charge in the House.

But - they all lie. Our job is to discern which ones lie the least - or at least, which ones get by with it the most. wink

1. rhamson profile image71
                rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes and the "hold your nose while you pick one" in the voting booth still holds truth.LOL

What do you mean he doesn't have control? Obama told us he would do these things, if he couldn't do it he should have said that instead of lie to the American people.

3. Credence2 profile image78

This is mighty righty, mom, that is a good point and a big difference.There has not been any president in modern times that could keep all the promises made because of circumstances out of his control, (little things like a treasonous right wing house of reps) But I am more concerned about the GOP who promised to wreck the economy and without Obama may well have succeeded.  It is more about motive and intent.

1. profile image0

What about promises he broke that he had control over?

Let's say you start your day with a to-do list with 20 items on it.
              At the end of the day you look at your list and see you have 11 items you can cross off.
              But, you think back to what you actually did during the day and add 7 new items to the day's list.
              Maybe a client called with an emergency that had to be dealt with immediately.
              Maybe your kid got sick at school, so you had to go pick her up.
              Maybe a neighbor's car wouldn't start so you pulled out your jumper cables and helped him out.
              Maybe you were going to pay a credit card bill and checked your bank account and discovered a check hadn't cleared. So you ended up having to talk to both the bank and the credit card company before you could proceed with what should have been a very simple transaction.

These are all items you didn't plan to do today, but that demanded your attention today.
              And they all got done.

So if you are measuring your success based on the original 20 items, you're going to feel like a failure with only 11 items.
              But if you look at what you actually got done, you see 18 items complete.

And I've got promises to keep. And miles to go before I sleep. And miles to go before I sleep.
              smile

Those seem to be much larger lies that actually have an impact on other people. But, I'm sure they will continue to discuss things that don't matter. Maybe nobody will notice the complete failure known as the obama administration.

4. JSChams profile image60
    JSChamsposted 11 years ago

Seriously? This is about how fast he ran a marathon and whether you think he lied about it?
    Wow good thing he wasn't describing the last fish he caught. That would disqualify him from VP for sure.
    You can always smell the fear of failure in these things. You must be getting pretty desperate.

5. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

This is funny, actually.

I posted a thread, asking for examples of Mitt breaking promises he made as Governor. We got maybe one lie, although I have to check it.

Ryan though... people are ALL over him for his marathon time years and years ago.

MM, what do you think is worse? Lying about a marathon time, or plagiarizing a speech, for a VP?

6. JSChams profile image60
    JSChamsposted 11 years ago

I get a real kick out of all this because it's like Sarah Palin all over again. They laugh about Romney but are scared as hell about Paul Ryan because they know he's the real deal.
    I think it goes back to when they were debating the ACA. They had that summit of the leaders and Barack about burst a blood vessel because Ryan actually brought the bill which sat three feet high on the desk. I think Barack was scared he was going to have to explain things in it. He could not possibly have because he didn't and still doesn't know anything about it.

7. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

You don't know what PRESIDENT Obama was thinking. Anyway, Ryan is a habitual and pathological liar. He can't help himself. We have always known those kinds of people. They are infuriating because they lie even when they do not need to!

You libs are funny fawning all over a convicted liar like Clinton and complaining about Ryan. Hilarious and scary at the same time.

2. profile image0

Yeah, Obama never lied...

like, ever...

8. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Funny when people call someone out for lying now...they have to bring up something else that happened a decade ago.  Deflect, deflect, deflect.

I guess if Clinton was nowhere around that might mean something. He is still relevent to the dems so its still important to point out they blindly follow liars.

2. profile image0

Actually, UW, I keep hearing that same thing about GWB, "He lied about Iraq having WMDs to get us into the war." That was a decade ago.

But it's not really accurate. GWB followed B. Clinton's intelligence and Clinton signed the Iraqi Freedom Act in 98, which advocated the remove of Saddam from power because he had WMDs.

Selective memories go back only as far as GWB, but considering the impact, shouldn't they actually go back to the man who signed the bill and insisted on the intelligence to begin with? That kind of brings Clinton right back to today in importance.

So - his lies (if it was a lie) are still having an effect.

Invading Iraq was a huge mistake whether or not Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. He had no reason to use them against the United States or Israel. Clinton would not have committed such a blunder. He's too smart. Bush was convinced by the neocons and Dick Cheney.

1. profile image0

Ralph, you really should look up the Iraqi Freedom Act and read the wording.

Go to the head of the class. I did a hub on that complete with video evidence.

9. Mighty Mom profile image79

On the topic of lying, I came across this.
    Toward the end of a piece that chilled my blood. (Worth the full read, btw).
    http://www.nytexaminer.com/2012/08/the- … tt-romney/

How could Romney – a religious man – justify telling such lies? His wife Ann provided part of the answer when she told ABC News’ Diane Sawyer, “It’s Mitt’s time. It’s our turn now.”
    The Romneys are entitled to the presidency. Mitt has done the things one does to become president: he got a good education, he ran a highly-successful business, organized the winter Olympics, governed Massachusetts and ran for the presidency in 2008. Ann did her part. They reared a photogenic family, they go to church, they live in lots of nice houses and they belong to the right “class.” It’s their turn now.

In a Time essay, Prof. Justin Frank links Romney’s lying to his Mormonism: “There is a long tradition in the Mormon belief system in which evidence takes second place to faith…. There are no lies, only faith-based certainty that translates as truth for which no apology is needed.”
    It isn’t a lie if you say something that will help fulfill God’s plan for you. In this context, there is some sense to a statement Mitt made in May: “I’m not familiar precisely with exactly what I said, but I’ll stand by what I said, whatever it was.”

The truth is what Mitt says it is. And if “the truth” is that Mitt Romney should be president, then the end justifies the means.

10. Moderndayslave profile image60
    Moderndayslaveposted 11 years ago

"It's not a lie if you believe it"  George Costanza

11. mio cid profile image60
    mio cidposted 11 years ago

there are two main reasons why Ryan is lying, first the campaign already said they will not pay attention to fact checkers,and second they figure since they now have the money advantage they can drown the truth in advertising.

12. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 11 years ago

Ryan's speech at the GOP convention "was written without benefit of shame or fact checking. Ryan accused the President of ignoring the Simpson-Bowles commission's advice on the debt, while failing to mention that his own opposition had already deep-sixed that advice. He accused the President of damaging America's AAA credit rating, but neglected to say that he himself had led the Republican strategy of deliberately putting it in peril, in order to achieve the Party's fiscal goals. He spent a good part of the speech vowing to protect Medicare, without ever describing his plan, which would basically turn it into a voucher system. Ryan even accused Obama of allowing an auto plant in his home town to be shut down, when the closing was announced during the Bush Presidency."
    George Packer in The New Yorker, September 10, 2012.

(Ryan's lie about his 3-hour marathon should be enough to disqualify him from public office, IMHO.)

"We now all know that even in the long line of Paul Ryan distortions, his claim of a sub-3-hour marathon ranks as among the most stupid. It was easily and quickly proved to be no more than the grandiose claim of somebody at least slightly out of touch with reality. Let’s be clear what the difference is: A sub-4-hour marathon is possible for a determined but not-too-talented runner. Sub-3 requires real talent.

"Ryan’s problem is that he is about to become as phony as the proverbial $3 bill—or 3-hour marathon time. His dissembling about the marathon fits the same pattern as his claims about deficits, taxes, his role in Bowles-Simpson, and the alleged Obama Medicare cut.  He bends numbers and facts when he wants to, merely to confirm his theological views. Facts are malleable: They can be molded and spun, with the assistance of a media willing to repeat them loudly enough that the objective truth simply gets drowned out. And let’s not forget that Ryan is the purported “wonk” of the Republican Party, the truth-teller, the numbers guy. Really?"

Slate, 9-4-12

Colbert on Ryan's Lyin' Marathon
    http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber … time-gaffe

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)