Is Batman a rip off of the old silent movie, "The Bat?"

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Okay, I know I'll get a lot of flak for this forum post, but I figured it'll be a lot of fun anyway.  First of all, I just want to point out that I have nothing but the utmost respect for the character batman, and his creator, Bob Kane.  In terms of superhero movies and comic books, I think it would be hard to argue that any other character has endured as much success as he has commercially. 

However, in light of building up my review for the upcoming "The Dark Knight Rises", I've decided to review a series of hubs leading up to it.  Two of them thus far happen to be the old silent film, "The Bat", and it's remake, "The Bat Whispers."  I know some of you are probably asking, what do those movies have to do with Batman?

Well, back in 1926, there was an old silent movie that was adaptation of a Broadway play.  In the film, it featured a mysterious super criminal calling himself "The Bat."  In this movie, this super criminal not only dresses like a giant bat, but he even dons a black cape.  Another thing you folks might notice is that he too travels rooftop to rooftop using a complex system of grappling hooks, while having a handy utility bag.

Oh and it's gets even better too, as he uses a gun to only shoot other criminals...sort of similar to how the ORIGINAL batman used to shoot people with the very same gun that killed his parents.  Now, I'm not saying that batman is a total copycat, as he has evolved over the years to become drastically different.  however, there's no denying the similarities, as i pointed out in my review of both films. 

however, i know some people will probably be offended by saying, "HOW DARE YOU INSIGHT SUCH ACCUSATIONS TOWARDS BOB KANE!?!"  Okay, I'll tell you what, here's an article that'll show you proof of what I'm talking about.  And by the way, I've seen both films entirely, and I've researched batman extensively for those that remember my "superheroes assemble" hubs a while back.  therefore, at the risk of sounding conceited, I know what I'm talking about. 

However, please don't allow me to tell you what to think, as i'd rather you told me what you think.  here's the link to judge for yourselves:

http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article32.htm

Okay, assuming you've read the link, I want to know your exact opinions on this.  Was batman originally a rip off of the old silent movie?  Or do you think not?  And is your opinion changed by the article and it's facts knowing what you've learned?  Please discuss.

2. Robwrite profile image65
    Robwriteposted 12 years ago

There's probably something to that. I wouldn't be surprised. I know that Bill Finger (the writer of the first Batman story) and Bob Kane (the artist) took inspiration from the Shadow, and to a lesset extent, Zorro, but I didn't know about the Bat. I can believe that finger and Kane saw these films and utilized them in the Batman Comic.

It would be really funny if the Bat had taken in a ward who became his sidekick 'Pigeon!'

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah that would've been funny.  However, I think it's worth noting that Batman isn't a total copycat in this day and age.  Sure, I can definitely see how the ORIGINAL batman could be misconstrued that way based on the evidence, but over time Batman has evolved into a completely different character than he was originally, at least i think so.

3. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

anyone else have anything to add?

4. Captain Redbeard profile image60
    Captain Redbeardposted 11 years ago

It's said that there are no more original idea's, however that being a recent saying, it still stands to reason that Kane "borrowed" idea's for his character. I mean everyone raves about Avatar but when I first saw it I thought, "This is a grown up version of Ferngully the Last Rain forest".

The link wouldn't open for me so I wasn't able to read it. My connection has been touchy lately but I will try to open it again later when I have more than two bars on my wifi. I'm excited to read it. I've loved batman since I was a kid and have always been enamored by the idea of a somewhat everyday guy taking down the badguys the cops couldn't. But regardless of what this article says, I don't think it would make me lose my love for this dark knight nor would it paint Bob in a bad light for me smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)