Religous Food For Thought

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (66 posts)
  1. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

Below this was sent to me so I thought I'd shared it with some of you.
    I FIND IT INTERESTING THAT A HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL CAN SEE THE PROBLEM, BUT OUR SOCIETY CANNOT.

TennesseeFootball
    This is a statement that was read over the PA system at the football game atRoane County High School , Kingston , Tennessee, by school principal, Jody McLeod

"It has always been the custom at Roane County High School football games, to say a prayer and play the National Anthem, to honor God and Country."

Due to a recent ruling by the Supreme Court,

I am told that saying a Prayer is a violation of Federal Case Law. As I understand the law at this time, I can use this public facility to approve of sexual perversion and call it "an alternate life style,"

and, if someone is offended,

that's OK.

I can use it to condone sexual promiscuity, by dispensing condoms and calling it, "safe sex."

If someone is offended, that's OK.

I can even use this public facility to present the merits of killing an unborn baby as a "viable" means of birth control."

If someone is offended, no problem...

I can designate a school day as "Earth Day" and involve students in activities to worship religiously and praise the goddess, "Mother Earth", and call it "ecology.."

I can use literature, videos and presentations in the classroom

that depicts people with strong, traditional Christian convictions

as "simple minded" and "ignorant"

and call it "enlightenment.."

However, if anyone uses this facility to honor GOD and to ask HIM to bless this event with safety and good sportsmanship,

then Federal Case Law is violated.

This appears to be inconsistent at best, and at worst, diabolical.

Apparently, we are to be tolerant of everything and anyone, except GOD and HIS Commandments.

Nevertheless , as a school principal, I frequently ask staff and students to abide by rules with which they do not necessarily agree.

For me to do otherwise would be inconsistent at best, and at worst, hypocritical.

I suffer from that affliction enough unintentionally.

I certainly do not need to add an intentional transgression.

For this reason,

I shall "Render unto Caesar

that which is Caesar's,"

and refrain from praying

at this time.

" However, if you feel inspired to honor, praise and thank GOD

and ask HIM, in the name of JESUS, to bless this event,

please feel free to do so..

As far as I know,

that's not against the law--yet."

One by one,

the people in the stands bowed their heads, held hands with one another and began to pray.

They prayed in the stands.

They prayed in the team huddles.

They prayed at the concession stand

and they prayed

in the Announcer's Box!

The only place they didn't pray was in the Supreme Court of the United States of America-

the Seat of "Justice"

in the "one nation, under GOD."

Somehow, Kingston , Tennessee,

remembered what so many have forgotten.

We are given

the Freedom OF Religion,

not the Freedom

FROM Religion

Praise GOD

that HIS remnant remains!

JESUS said,

"If you are ashamed of ME before men, then I will be ashamed of you before MY FATHER.."

I'm not one bit ashamed to pass this on, are you?

1. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"We are given the Freedom OF Religion, not the Freedom FROM Religion"

Interesting statement, does it say you have the freedom to chose which religion you want, but not the freedom to not chose religion?

Why not through in a muslim and a jewish and Sikhism prayer while your at it? Would that make it okay? Well we can't leave anyone out lets have a prayer from every known religion there is at least 80.

SpanStarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most other religion have a country representing their faith and those countries aren't ashame to show the world who they are by faith.

1. profile image0

Which countries? Certainly not the countries with a separation of church and state. The U.S. and Canada have that separation and both countries are the result of immigrants of many nations. And all it's people should be represented.

It is absolutely ridiculous to ignore all the history pertaining to America regarding the contribution of Christian people, I said Christian, not Buddha, not Muslim I said Christian.

People talk about separation of church and state while using the money in America that says "in God we trust." It seems to me that if other countries present better opportunities no one is holding anyone here in America.

1. profile image0

Ah, there we go. Intolerance of others faith. You know BTW In God we Trust doesn't mean In Jesus we Trust. It just implies the faithful. New laws are written for the good of the country everyday. Constitutions have to change when there is an injustice. And it is unjust treat your fellow Americans with such disrespect.

1. profile image0
                Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think, in this case, we aren't considered to be 'real' Americans.

2. kirstenblog profile image79
                kirstenblogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just thought that deserved to be repeated.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
          A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Like Saudi Arabia?

1. profile image0

Iran comes to mind. Did you know that Iran has no gays? Did you know women in Saudi Arabia can't drive. If you think a Christian government wouldn't do the same have a look at the last time they controlled any government. Europe in the middle ages anyone?

What about those who call atheism a religion?

2. eternals3ptember profile image60
      eternals3ptemberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Its not illegal to pray in school. Its illegal to force people to pray...

1. profile image0

Just thought that deserved to be repeated.

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Two things.  First, whoever announced that over the PA should have already gotten their termination papers: the entire nation knows quite well that pushing ANY religion, Christian or otherwise, in our schools is prohibited.  Ignoring that directive from the supreme court should certainly be grounds for immediate dismissal.

Second, in no way do I believe that hundreds or thousands of people of all faiths, including atheism, spontaneously joined hands and prayed.  A few, sure - there are always people that believe that the constitution of the US applies to everyone but them - but the majority know better.

1. austinhealy profile image73
      austinhealyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very well said !

Oh, I don't know, peer pressure is a powerful thing, especially in schools. I imagine anyone who didn't bow their head in obedience er, prayer, would have risked standing out in a time of life when standing out is a bad thing, can lead to bullying etc. Indoctrination at it's finest..... (where is the being sick emoticon?)

3. SpanStar profile image60

I'm sure those of us who enjoy being Americans would like other people to understand our loyalty to the country so if you all will join me in the Pledge of Allegiance.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands one nation UNDER  GOD!!

1. profile image0

You do realize that the 'under God' was a later insertion? It seems real Americans didn't initially see a need to include it.

One of the most beautiful things about being American is freedom of conscience. I'm sorry you don't understand how precious of a gift that is and feel the need to see it as a threat.

I'm sorry you feel the need to ignore all that the Christians gave to this country.

The fact that the word Under God was in fact put on our money and steal is on our money bears witness to their desire to have it.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image57
          MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It was put on the paper money in the 1950's as propaganda in the cold war against the "Godless Commies".  That was around when they added "Under God" to the pledge of allegiance.  Just saying that McCarthyism was the major influence.... not Christianity and certainly not our forefathers.

Just thought you should know...

What baffles me is the fact that it is on our money and one would not spend the money on in engraved plates to put a message down they didn't care about, that makes no sense.
            The inauguration of our president is done so with the Bible and before they stopped the practice telling the truth was done by placing ones down the Bible does say that Christianity wasn't a part of America structure says one of us is misinformed.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image79
              DoubleScorpionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am with you Span...Lets get this country straight back into following the bible...Lets kill all the adulterers, kids who talk back, anyone who works on the sabbath, sell our daughters for slaves, force men to marry the women they rape or pay a price if they don't, have our parents decide who we are gonig to marry, place women back down to the level of pets or farm animals within the household, marry your brothers wife if he dies and have children for him, kill anyone who tries to teach anything other than the God of the bible, kill all gay people or anyone who might be a witch, I mean if we are going to follow the bible in how we run our country then lets do it right...Seriously...Lets take things right back to the damn stoneage...

The biggest part of the freedoms that you currently enjoy would all go away if we followed the bible completely. And since very few can agree on what the bible actually means, this country would be divided and fall apart so fast it wouldn't even be funny (Ever wonder why the Middle east have so much trouble maintaining a solid government). It is already happening...How about we stop worring about what God someone believes in or don't believe in and worry about getting the business that is our government back in the black and running smoothly. And the last I checked, there are no religous requirements for obtaining business degrees, operating a business or owning a business. It is all about the bottom line...And right at the moment ours isn't doing so well. I am curious...If you owned a business would you hire and keep someone on staff who believed the same as you but didn't do the job you pay them for and continued to send you company farther into the red each year? Or would you fire them and find someone who got the job done and got you back into the black? One might wish to think about this when voting to elect government officials. Instead of worring about where their beliefs lie, find someone who can fix the danged problems we are currently facing. This country was built on Freedom of Religion...Meaning that all of them have their place and it isn't in the government. Just because alot of our leaders have been Christians, doesn't mean that the country is.

wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Christianity certainly was a part of our heritage.  It gave us such things as slavery, racial discrimination, sweat shops to work small children half to death in, a demand that ALL Americans pay homage to their god (through the pledge and money) and women treated as sub class of people.

Should we keep all these things, then, or should we pick and choose among the things our fine "Christian" forefathers gave us as Christians do with their bible?  Or just acknowledge that Christianity has faults that we no longer find acceptable and refuse to allow Christianity, or any other religion, to dictate what our country is? 

Personally, I think it's past time to eliminate the travesty from our government.  Not society - Christians are and should be able to worship in peace - but from demands that everyone else join them through force of law or even custom.

wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you would find that McCarthyism was heavily based on Christianity, and in the same manner that radical Islam is today.  If you're not with us totally you're against us and must be removed from right thinking society.

2. profile image0

The American spirit isn't the property of Christians. It isn't Christianity that contributed. It is individuals.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58

You mean the same way you ignore the contributions of non-Christians? The Pot calling the Kettle? lol

2. DoubleScorpion profile image79
        DoubleScorpionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Neither Did the Baptist Preacher who wrote it. smile

1. profile image0

I wonder when the Baptists took their hard right turn.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I would not want the school telling kids what to think about any of these issues.  They are there to teach literacy, numeracy, how the world is and critical thinking.  Not what religion to have, what sex to have, or what baby to have.

So yes, I would be ashamed of making or passing on that statement. But then apparently I am not welcome in that school anyway.  That statement says as much which is not about being insulted, but about being excluded--in a place my tax dollars support as much as anyone else's.

5. SpanStar profile image60

As it was in the beginning it is still so today. The only ones we really care about is self.
    During the days of Jesus men and women were clearly selfish, arrogant I wonder if that still goes on today?

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!"

1. profile image0

It is fascinating to me how little we see ourselves in our complaints of others. Your premise for this thread was all about self, with a fabricated scenario of individual desires to push the beliefs of one group of individuals onto all other groups being thwarted by the government's attempts to protect the rights of other individuals. Of one individual using his position to step on a soap box to complain about how his personal beliefs should take precedence over the beliefs of others. That is classic 'all about self'.

Human nature apparently has a difficult time recognizing itself when in close proximity.

A quote that has been used and abused by Christians in order to absolve themselves of culpability when they should be the first to understand and heed the sage advice.

Emile ,

Well apparently it is still going on people so full of themselves they can't see beyond their own words.

This may come as a shock to you but freedom means people are allowed to present their perspective on issues which may or may not agree with all who are involved in conversing.

If reading others viewpoints and perspectives as being taken to mean forcible indoctrination then I question how much did the person learn when and if they went to school?

Perhaps it is not the words that are convicting people perhaps it's their guilt.

1. profile image0

I don't follow your train of thought there. Who said anything about forcible indoctrination? I shouldn't have to sit through religious crap at a public gathering. That is what your OP is about and my understanding of your argument is that Christians should have full right to force others to participate in their rituals.

I don't have a thing against Christianity. I have no problem dealing with this type of behavior because it is something I've had to deal with all of my life. But, what you fail to understand is that if you gain the right to force your views on others it opens the door to allow the current majority to ride herd over the rest of us.

That might suit your fancy now. What will you do when you are no longer the majority. Quietly disappear?

To be forced to do something some aspects of your freedom has been denied you. You speak of being forced to endure religious information I take that to mean you are denied the freedom to walk away. You are denied the freedom to ignore that which is being spoken to you. If however these incidents did not occur you have been forced to do NOTHING!

1. profile image0

So, let me get this straight. Children have the right to walk out of school so prayer should be permitted? We have the right to walk out of a sporting event, so prayer should be permitted? We have the right to walk away from city council meetings, so prayer should be permitted?

What happens if the kid wants an education, I want my money's worth when I've paid to see my kids play a game; or I want to speak at the council meeting? Is it our tough luck? Because you have the right to insist your beliefs must take center stage?

By your reasoning, I could say the same to you. Why don't Christians just leave and do their thing at home?

I daresay that the same laws which gives people the right not to go to church, not to pray, are the same rights guaranteed in the Constitution for people to worship as they so please.

Perhaps you don't know this but for reasons other than prayer in school people feel they can get a better education for their kids by enrolling them in to private schools, just something to consider.

1. profile image0

I daresay perhaps it is you who should put your children in a private school where there are only like minded Christians. You see PUBLIC schools are just that. PUBLIC = of or concerning the people as a whole.

I hope your comments isn't some poor representation of Public School teaching for my previous response was a Choice and for reasons other than some stereotypical view of Christian practice.

If part of that worshiping required is for Christians to tell us how to live our lives, does that count as being under the Constitution?

3. profile image0

Again, I'm confused. Are you suggesting that prayer be allowed to be forced in schools and those who don't want to pray should seek an education elsewhere? If so, do you think at all before you hit submit?

1. profile image0

I think this is one of those times when someone hits the like button on Facebook without thinking and then tries justify their mistake.

2. SpanStar profile image60

Emile,

Once again your views and the people who think like you are not the only one that dictate how other people should live how difficult is that to understand?
                    A scenario: let's say that an evangelist station for television is only one in the entire broadcasting area. Because you and whoever might think like you doesn't care for this station means it should be taken off the air-I presume that is your perspective?

No, we are denied the right to not have to listen to Christians telling us how to live our lives in the first place.

Christians are not "presenting their perspective on issues" when they tell us how to live our lives, they are regurgitating ancient myths and superstitions they have accepted through indoctrination. You might as well hit the play button.

6. SpanStar profile image60

Rad Man

What ever educational institution you may have went to it seems to me you missed the part in America's history where the first school teachers were Nuns.

1. profile image0

What's your point? Because the first school teacher were nun's they should forever be nuns?

The point is based on the entire conversation of religion in school religious teachings started out in public school do you not see the difference?

1. profile image0

It matter's not how it started out does it? If something is broken you fix it. In parts of Canada they have both public and Catholic schools funded by the public. They also have private schools. You get to choose which school to go to. If you are not Catholic you send your kid to the PUBLIC (for all) school. Is this hard to understand? PUBLIC (for all).

7. SpanStar profile image60

It is clear to me that at least the three of you are interested in nothing more then to attack religious perspectives -the three that I see Rad Man, Emile and one I've known for a long time A Trouble Man.

There is no communication here so I will not continue this folly any longer. Hopefully I will encounter others who will have a more intellectual perspective on the issues.

1. profile image0

I guess she gave herself an out. If you are not agreeing with her you are not in conversation with her.

2. profile image0

No. you hope to converse with others who agree with you. You want everything one sided. I'm afraid life doesn't work that way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)