Is it safe to feed your family leftover easy recipes than fresh meals?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (15 posts)
  1. crystaleyes profile image60
    crystaleyesposted 11 years ago

I need to cook fresh meals every time, I usually have very less leftovers.. Even if i have i do not give them to my children.. Do you agree that leftovers can get fatal with children and the aged?

1. TamCor profile image80
      TamCorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, sorry, I don't agree.  Heck, I grew up on leftovers, lol.

If you store leftovers correctly, there is NOTHING dangerous about eating them.  Eat within a few days, or freeze them! big_smile

But, if you didn't grow up eating leftovers, I can understand why you don't like them.  I came from a family of four, and leftovers were common.  My husband came from a family of eight, so leftovers were unheard of, so of course, he never wanted to eat them.

It took a few years of being married before he finally realized that leftovers can sometimes be even better than freshly cooked food--especially soups, stews, even casseroles...many times I've made food, then put it away until the next day, because the flavor is so much more enhanced.  smile

2. the girls profile image68
      the girlsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely. Left-overs are good meals too.

2. crystaleyes profile image60

I definitely will make my family read your review..  it will save me from cooking some day.. I can cook in advance and store.. and then take a break and chill for two days..   lol

Thanks for the advice anyways..

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

I cook my meals from scratch. We eat almost no processed foods in my house. However I do freeze leftovers and cook some items in bulk to use for other recipes. As long as it is stored away the proper way there is no harm. This also saves lots of time. I would also suggest cutting veggies in advance all at one time  for the whole week and storing them so that you don't have to spend as much timeeach day. I buy beef roasts and slice part, chop part and leave part whole. I then slice my stir fry veggies, dice my soup veggies, and cut my potatoes and carrots to go with my roast. I store them in containers in the freezer until I am ready to use them. Make cooking easy! Take a break sometimes!

4. profile image0
    jenuboukaposted 11 years ago

Hate to be the bearer of reality, but about 80% of food you eat at a restaurant is "leftover" meaning that the kitchen will prepare large batches of let's say marinara sauce and use it for a period of 3-5 days.  Large chain restaurants are the worst at this. 

So if you like to occasionally dine out at your local chain restaurant or even an independent restaurant; chances are your dish was prepped about 2 to 5 days ago....

So when it comes to leftovers in the home; one of the most popular concepts is to cook a couple of large meals on Sunday that will carry you through the week, and those who live on a tight budget; this is a big time and money saver.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Not at all.  Left overs are perfectly safe if refrigerated or re-cooked.

Not using them is very wasteful and IMHO not very respectful of the effort (and in some cases animal life) that went into making the food.

6. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I live on my own, and leftovers are an integral part of my eating.

I often buy marked-down produce in shops, because it saves stacks of money and adds to the fun element of cooking. I never know what I will bring back home, and also don't know what will come in my veg box from week to week. I like to surprise myself with working out new flavoursome combinations of what is to hand in the kitchen.

As a result, I might at times end up cooking huge quantities of things that have to be used immediately. I eat some that day, store some in the fridge to make the basis of another meal the next day and freeze the rest for future use.

I am careful about unpacking really perishable stuff, such as seafood, as soon as I get home and putting it straight in the fridge. I also make sure that leftover cooked rice goes into the fridge as soon as it has cooled, because that can become really dangerous if left out at room temperature for a long period.

I never get any sort of gastric problems whatsoever!

7. denisemai profile image66
    denisemaiposted 11 years ago

As long as the food is properly stored, I don't see why not. Most big cookbooks have a guide that tells you how long certain foods can be stored before they spoil. Like you,  I rarely keep leftovers. Not because I believe they are unsafe but because I have limited space in my refrigerator and freezer. My exceptions are roasts or large cuts of meat (I use them throughout the week for meals), broths (freeze for future use), and sauces.

8. crystaleyes profile image60

Thank all of you for your views. We are a pure vegetarian, small family so we do not have much leftovers.. and the little that we have is re-used..  Leftover food has a time period especially meats. Vegetable stews, soups and curries when re-cooked loose their texture and taste, and also some of their nourishment.. do you agree?

1. TamCor profile image80
      TamCorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One of our favorite meal is leftover soups and stews--to us, they have MORE taste, not less. As far as the nourishment factor--we all come away from a meal feeling satisfied, so I'm happy with that. smile

I've often frozen leftover corn, green beans, peas, vegetables like that, then tossed them all into a stew, letting it simmer a long time--we really can't tell the difference between those and something I might have made from fresh vegetables.  I do add meat, though...we can't handle the vegetarian lifestyle, lol.  big_smile

9. Cardisa profile image86
    Cardisaposted 11 years ago

We have left overs at least one per week especially on a Monday after making a large Sunday meal. So long as the food is properly stored and reheated, it should be fine. I suggest freezing for longer storage periods. Leftovers in the cooler no longer than three days should be fine.

10. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

Leftover is not bad as long as you put them wisely in the refrigerator or freeze it for a few days or months. I have worked in a restaurant before and they pre-cooked their food or sauces to avoid stress from work. If you have leftovers, you can have a free day for not cooking the meals.

11. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Leftovers 'fatal'  ???   Oh, heck no unless you leave them on the counter and unrefrigerated.    If my family did not eat left overs they would be pretty hungry.  Here are the reasons why I serve (and have always served) leftovers

1.  It teaches children to eat what is available and not turn their noses up at perfectly good food!  (anyone hear of consuming a whole Thanksgiving turkey dinner and all the fixings in one sitting-no, because we love our Thanksgiving leftovers!)

2.  It is economical--the money spent on food is not thrown out the window with the leftovers  (or garbage, as the case may be)

3.  It allows me to be creative...instead of serving just the old leftovers I turn old into new:  have a chicken meal one day and the leftovers: make chicken fajitas or chicken stir fry...there are tons of ways to use left overs

4.  It saves time!   How tedious to cook a fresh, new meal every single night!   In our home we have several different meals in consecutive days followed by a left over night where we take our choice of the meals we have eaten the previous nights.  Works out great towards the end of the week or on a Saturday night.

Good luck with this...BTW, I also grew up with leftovers and I'm not dead yet!

12. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

I don't think so. Food doesn't devalue with age (well, unless you leave it for a really long time and it goes bad).

If you have something like spaghetti, and eat it again as a leftover the next day, it's equally as healthy as it was the day before. I often end up with leftover Sundays. Ah, well.

Also leftovers can be handy. When you have leftover things like pasta and rice, you can add it to other dishes for a quick fix. Rice makes a good breakfast with brown sugar (like oatmeal), a good lunch in a burrito, and a good dinner in a rice bowl.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)