What the Administration is focusing on while Embassies are in danger

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (25 posts)
  1. American View profile image61
    American Viewposted 11 years ago

Let's check out twitter and see was important to the administration in the aftermath of losing our ambassador, three other citizens, and the heightened risk at all of our embassies.

http://twitchy.com/2012/09/13/with-us-e … gn=twitter

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

INstead of these Muslim extremists targeting embassies, why don't they target just the assh*** that made the stupid film?

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Eh....are you saying whoever made the film should be executed?
        That's not right.
        If that were so, then what in your opinion should be done about people who mock Christ?

2. profile image0
        SassySue1963posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Really? So everyone who disagrees with Michael Moore's films should just attack him? All those who disagreed with Passion of the Christ should be free to crucify Gibson? What about Monty Python? The point is that the movie was just an excuse. These protests were already set-up and we had notice. Not only that...WHY were not protecting our people, especially on 9/11? It is a failure of this Administration all the way around and a calculated failure of that foreign government to protect our citizens.

2. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Greetings, AV, I had to weigh in on this particularly timely topic.

Mitt Romney still needs to provide the tax returns as a downpayment of the trust that he wants us all to have in him and his policies and what has been traditionally provided by every other modern era contender to the throne without equivocation.

Everyone on the right, including its most vociferous hawk, John McCain, said that this Arab Spring was a good thing toppling tyrants like Mubarek, Khaddafi and perhaps Assad as well, but the reality of it is that you cannot have it both ways.

Freeing or liberating people do not guarantee that they will embrace our foreign policy. These protesters appear not to represent the governments of either Egypt or Libya.  They are a mob, nothing more significant needs to be made of them.

I agree with some of your more conservative posters that the movie may have been a mere catalyst and not the cause. There was no reason to expect after all this time that the President could have reasonably expected the attacks on the embassy that occurred.

The President is right about Romney,  a pun slinger shooting from the lip, in the midst of the tragedy. This is the same guy that sees Russia as our biggest geopolitical threat? This shows the rightwing tendency to saber rattle with no real palatable solutions. I am sure that the State Department has done it due diligence and increased security at our embassies in response to what has happened with Libya. But what happened in Libya could not have been anticipated.

1. American View profile image61
        American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cred,

Hi buddy, I hope all is weel. Been hot here but is starting to cool down as we head to fall.

I disagree with Romney for any politicians having to provide 10 years of tax returns, the last two years should be sufficient. Let's face it what are always tax returns going to show? Answer is that Mitt Romney invests his own personal money into projects with the expectation of getting a rate of return is investment. If successful you have to pay taxes on that money. Since it is investment we all know current capital gains tax is 15%. We know the robberies are extremely charitable, one can expect 15 to 20% of his salary going to charities. I do not know if you have any investments, if you do you pay the same 15% just as everybody else in the entire country does. But everybody does not realize is that they want me to pay more, so will they. How soon everybody forgets that Obama wants to double capital gains tax in his first year in office.

I agree with you, our politicians expect these countries to just embrace our policies. That is not possible, it is a different way of life over there, different views, and different beliefs. They need to create their own country, ratify the Rome laws and constitutions. As long as the countries are safe, prosper, and are not violating their citizens, all should be well even as their different from us.

The movie was not a catalyst and had nothing to do with the original attacks coordinated and planned out to happen on September 11. Is turning out that Egypt warned the United States that something may happen, of course what this may mean. Made does not tell you when or where or how imminent the danger really is. When Obama made his comments he said he was sending 50 Marines of the compound, my question is with all that is going on Libya with all the unrest in the Middle East, wireless 50 Marines not there to start with? Perhaps this incident will spark Obama to have a better attendance record  at his intelligence meetings.

I have no problem with Romney criticizing Obama, shame Obama is so thin skinned about the criticism, memory has it he had plenty to say about Bush at key moments of tragedies.

It's funny you mention Russia that was part of my last article I wrote. Romney has made it clear numerous occasions that Iran is the biggest threat. Russia, thanks to the Obama administration, is regaining its former power and is looking forward to re-flexing its muscles at us. Vladimir Putin has made that quite clear in several speeches over the last year, with all that's going on that story has flown under the radar. Remember Obama signed that treaty agreeing that we would cut nuclear arms while giving Russia permission to add their's. Not to mention incredible amounts of money Putin is spending modernizing rebuilding its military might. Romney is correct, we need to keep an eye on Russia, a quiet eye, but an eye nonetheless.

1. Credence2 profile image78
          Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

AV, following the news of the mainland, I have heard that things have been pretty hot lately, 'hot' here is about 83F. I think that you would find it a comfortable retreat

The median number of tax returned release were 6-7, in light of the lack of so much other information as to how his policies would flesh out in practice, it is just appears that it is just another aspect of his candidacy that he is hiding.When the right asks for Obama's birth certificate, college transcripts and copies of his boy scout merit badge, I can't see why candidate Romney would resist something that so many candidates provide, it simply adds to the distrust and from what I have seen it has had traction in the polls, particularely in the Midwest, states like Ohio and Michigan that figure prominently in this contest. He gave this information to McCain in 2008, so why is it a big secret, the lack of transparency is not helping.
          As for Obama's reaction and whether it was appropriate, I still need to review a few more sources, because there are plenty of "Monday Morning Quarterbacks" these days.On the contrary, the President was not thin skinned he simply provided a comment that was the appropriate response to the one Romney made.
          Without a study of the Obama treaty, I am not qualified to comment on it, but I do know that nationless radical Islam is our most blatant enemy at the moment. If Russia is in ascendency military, people like Colin Powell seem to believe otherwise and chided Romney about it. Everybody is building up its military might in a ever increasing dangerous would, the idea is to keep the balance of power so that the powderkeg we all have to fear is not accidently lighted thru unproductive saber rattling. How do we worry when we spend more money on our military and invest more than China, Russia and Iran together, perhaps its is time to reassess all of this?

Thanks for the invitation to give my 2 cents to the issue, I am serious, if you are ever in the vicinity, look me up!

2. Reality Bytes profile image73
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

Since the protesters are chanting  "Obama, Obama, We are all Osama!"

Could bragging about a death to make political points during a convention infuriate some people, maybe, just maybe, these people are angry about more than a movie?

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well now, RB.
      I'm confused.
      Your comments last night about never appeasing bullies seemed to support decisive military action against terrorists such as al-Quaeda.
      Are you now saying we should have capitulated instead?

It's been over a year since Bin Laden was assassinated. That includes announcement of the death, a fair amount of media attention about it, AND the 10 year anniversary of 9/11 in 2011.
      I'm curious why there wasn't a more immediate and direct outcry. Do you know?
      MM
      P.S. Maybe it wasn't even the film that got these radical riled up. Perhaps it was actually the tell-all book by the Navy SEAL!

1. Reality Bytes profile image73
        Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, there is more to these protests than anger over a movie.  The proper actions are being taken by the government IMO, unfortunately it is after the fact.  I am not being critical of the U.S. government or Obama, I am in support of our POTUS concerning these atrocities, I hope he comes through this deserving a Nobel Peace Prize!  smile  I HOPE OBAMA SUCCEEDS!

I just believe there is a lot more that is angering these protesters than the release of a movie.  If we do not attempt to understand as a people, what is angering the mob, we will never arrive at a peaceful resolution.  Like I said yesterday, one nations "war on terror" is the other nations "acts of terror".  The United States and its allies are asking justice for wrongdoing, at what point do those being hit in retaliation wish to pursue justice for themselves?

NATO allies cannot kill individuals indefinitely and not expect the families and friends of the killed to also want revenge for their fallen.  There have been many attacks over the past eleven years that would have been labelled "acts of terror" if they had occurred in the United States.  What makes America immune from criticism concerning their military strikes.  Blaming a movie is only deflecting the actual cause of this unrest, again IMO!

Last week, our POTUS gave a speech at the DNC in which he boasted of killing Osama.  IMO, he made Bin Laden more of a martyr in his supporters eyes than he was before the speech.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Probably.  Guess they're unashamed supporters of the terrorist Osama.
      Poor Obama.  The window of opportunity to blame Osama's death on Bush has closed; otherwise I could see him trying to deflect it away from himself just to appease the terrorist sympathizers.  He had already tried to appease them by refusing to allow average Americans to see proof of Osama's death.

3. The Frog Prince profile image71
    The Frog Princeposted 11 years ago

Obama is focused on his reelection and is detached from the rest of what is happening around him.  I find it a bit hard to believe, having served this nation for 23 years, that there wasn't intelligence swirling all around the great thinkers (I say that loosely) as the anniversary of 9-11 approached.  Reports are that those intel reports were ignored and discounted. 

When you lie down with dogs you get fleas.  When you think you can rub elbows with terrorists and make nice-nice with them you may be even more stupid than anyone imagines.  Either that or you sympathize with their cause.  I see a man who was raised by Marxists in a Muslim household sitting in the White House.  Now those facts I would like anyone to even try to refute.  After all, we are all a product of our upbringing.  What makes Barack Hussein Obama different?

If you dispute what I said then your basic research abilities are sorely lacking.

Read this:  http://conservativebyte.com/2012/09/ame … d-nothing/

The Frog

4. Wayne Brown profile image81
    Wayne Brownposted 11 years ago

Some friends, that Muslim Brotherhood....drop by the White House and pick up a billion and a half dollars and then stab the naive president who gave it to them in the back with this outpouring of love back home.  What do you say that we pass the hat and get some more money together for them?  I deplore those who hold themselves up in such religious ignorance condemning Christians and Jews but yet have just enough larceny in their hearts to take our tax dollars home with them.  We must look really stupid to the Brotherhood about now.  ~WB

5. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Think it was the US and nato that overthrew Qaddafi. So now they got another Somalia. And they are trying to do the same thing in Syria.

6. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 11 years ago

Maybe it is time for people that are not welcomed on their soil to leave it. You can't force any country to have your representatives, especially with the denigrating policy that the U.S is advocating. Is it coincidental that the person who did the movie is an American jew? Let's remember that Dempsey refused to follow Netanyahu's government in their attempt to attack Iran. It would be the perfect excuse now, for the US to support him. American embassies attacked, in means in our collective minds that we have to punish those "animals". Like with Sept 11. It is a very smart tactic.

1. profile image0

That's fine. And we'll take our money with us. Don't come to us with your hand out and not protect our citizens who are there on strictly diplomatic terms.

2. ptosis profile image68
      ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your info is wrong:

"The operation behind this film appears to be extreme Egyptian Copts who want to discredit the Morsi government and create a provocation," journalist Max Blumenthal told Al Jazeera on Wednesday." - http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur … 70525.html

Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood started the Arab Spring.

Abenob Nakoula Bassely (on probation for a bank fraud conviction), posed as Sam Bacil is not a Israeli real estate developer but linked to the hate group called American Coptic Assembly  not to be be confused with the The Coptic Assembly of America (CAA)

http://www.coptspharoes.com/copts/ar/images/egyptiany.jpg

Morris Sadek of the National American Coptics Assembly is the promotor and possibly translator to Arabic in order to destabilize the Muslim brotherhood government of Egypt.

1. profile image0

With all due respect, anyone who believes this so well coordinated attack is some spontaneous reaction to a mere film by some obscure person that most Americans did not even know about prior to these attacks is way too gullible. It is the scapegoat. In any event, Morsi has yet to apologize for the attack and the deaths nor to condemn them. Sometimes it is what you don't do that tells the most about you.
        And oh what a coincidence that this spontaneous outburst should occur on the anniversary of 9/11. It is a bit much to swallow and not choke.

1. ptosis profile image68
          ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It seems planned to have such huge protests against UK and German embassies that don't even have nothing to do with it. Why aren't there protests against the TV host Sheik Khaled Abdalla? He showed the video on Sept. 8. The guy did the same thing that he complained about. Whatta pompass hypocrite!

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7157941.gif  This is the TV station's Icon

Before Egypt's 2011 revolution, authorities periodically suspended privately owned religious satellite channels such as al-Nas, many of which follow conservative Salafi Islam, for allegedly violating broadcasting licenses by promoting religious or sectarian hatred and providing dubious medical advice.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/13/libya-consulate-attack-intelligence_n_1882594.html

It would be like having the KKK, skinhead neo nazi broadcasting that would make Rush Limbugh look like a cute cuddly puppy dog.

From:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19609951

84% of older Egyptians want the death penalty for those who leave the Muslim religion.

35% of Egyptians actually want Egypt-US relations to remain as strong as before the revolution.

The assault in which US Ambassador Chris Stevens died was probably a co-ordinated, complex undertaking by an organised militant group, perhaps in concert with al-Qaeda's North African affiliate. It represents broader Libyan opinion no more than Anders Breivik did that of Norway.

7. quatrain profile image56
    quatrainposted 11 years ago

Wayne Brown,

One day, maybe sooner than either you or I can imagine, all of America will look around at the remnants of our nation and ask a simple question...what happened?  Then, people like you who saw through this thing called Obamamania will just shake your head and sigh. 

I often wonder how people so gullible as Obama voters ever make it across the street without getting hit by a car let alone make it through a whole life.

Just vote for Romney/Ryan on November 6 and leave the rest to God.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

What was the reason so many embassies were attacked while George W Bush was president? Seems to me, these types of attacks will happen no matter who is president.

I don't blame the film for this, there is more information coming out saying it had nothing to do with it.

At least we know it was not the majority of the Lybian people who did this, possibly some Gaddafi supporters. The Ambassador had already been named as a target. Lybians died trying to save him and got him to the hospital.

Some people seem to be enjoying the fact this happened under Obama ... much like Mitt's smirk...

1. profile image0

I can't speak for everyone, but the only thing I blame the President for in the initial attack is ignoring the intel and not making sure our people, especially on the anniversary of 9/11, were adequately protected. I do believe, and yes it is my opinion, that a strong response from the WH after the initial attack however, would have curbed the spread of such violence into over 20 other countries. It was our appeared apology rather than condemnation that has given these extremists groups confidence that there will be no reprisals for their actions. Not to mention, you go to Vegas? Really? There is no reason that Biden or someone else could not have attended that fundraiser in his place. Then he likens his campaign people to those that died? Really?
      "Like them, you put it on the line every day". smh
      There were embassy attacks under Bush. There were Embassy attacks under Clinton. Reagan had 2 I believe. To an extent, you are correct that they will happen. I have absolutely no recollection of any time in recent history that there has been an explosion of violence directed at our Embassy in over 20 countries at one time. Do you really believe that if they perceived this Administration as one of strength that this would be happening?

This attack is not the fault of Obama, if it were, I would be the first to declare it,  smile

I hope he succeeds in bringing this to a peaceful closure, I want him to earn that Nobel, this is his chance!

9. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Possibly it is an attempt by Al-Queda to influence the US elections. If the US gets a president who will continue wars, it will allow Al-Queda to recruit more members rather than slowly dying which they are.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)