Why were ads disabled on this hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (30 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

<link snipped>

It's about how to make hot sauces! I can't imagine any reason for disabling the ads.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The only thing I can think of is you've use the words scary and ghost. Also, the filters may determine that hot sauce might relate to adult content. lol

I know when I used fiendish attire in a Halloween hub ads were disabled until I removed the term.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Those pepper images look kind of phallic to me... Tiny, limp phallic, but still phallic. big_smile

Ah, eureka! Phallic hot sauce has tripped the filters. lol

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
          paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Habee gets more devious all the time, but this time she got caught. big_smile

1. habee profile image92
            habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61

Indeed, those southern cooking hubs are laced with subliminal messages. lol

1. habee profile image92

Yep, like "smokin' butt," "spicy breasts," and "hot legs." lol

But I didn't even use any of those terms this time!

Habee, you are a vixen. big_smile

I reckon it's the use of ghost and scary that have tripped the filters.

3. relache profile image74
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What are the tags for this Hub?

1. habee profile image92

Stuff like hot sauce, pepper sauce, hot peppers, hot pepper sauce, pepper vinegar, pepper sauce recipe. I can't think of any that would trigger an ad ban.

1. relache profile image74
          relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

From what I've seen and experienced, i think it's a tag that may be the problem but without knowing the actual tags, I can't help you.

1. habee profile image92

Thanks, Relache. After reading your post, I went back and checked the tags, but I don't see anything that could be a problem. Maybe "hot sauce" is some weird sex-related term with which I'm not familiar?? lol

Just took another look, could it be demons, hell fire and brimstone?

1. habee profile image92

Those weren't added until I deleted some of the keywords. lol

2. psycheskinner profile image84
                psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

These are also not forbidden topics.

2. Don Simkovich profile image61
    Don Simkovichposted 11 years ago

What a terrific hub. I can't imagine "hot sauce" or something similar would have caused the ads to be taken down. Is this an issue worth contacting hubpages for?

1. habee profile image92

Hi, Don. I'm hoping a staff member will see this post. If not, I'll send an email.

3. mythbuster profile image70
    mythbusterposted 11 years ago

Maybe HP no longer allows ads to be placed on hubs with saucy topics?

smile

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I don't see any reason why adsense would have an issue with ghost or scary.  It is not a forbidden topic.

1. habee profile image92

I have a hub ghost story or two that use the words "ghost" and "scary." Both display ads.

The filters were tripped when I used the terms fiendish attire, ghostly and something else,another similar word can't remember now, related to Halloween. So I was just assuming it might be the same in this case.

1. habee profile image92

Wow. That's sorta strange.

At the time (last year) I emailed HP but grew impatient so removed the terms and then the ads were enabled. By the time Hp emailed me back (was only the following day) they just said something along the lines of let us know and we'll override the filters, or some such. But it may also have been because children were mentioned in addition to the words the filters clearly didn't like. I dunno.

5. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 11 years ago

I can't say why the ads were disabled but after reading through the hub I would conclude that it's keyword stuffed probably a bit too much.  It looks as if you are trying to cover every single variation for hot pepper sauce recipes.  I could be way off but I'm pretty sure the days of writing for the search engines has passed us by and those keywords don't mean as much as they did a year or two ago.

6. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I must say I do agree that the hub sounds highly over-stuffed with keywords. Sorry, Habee, I'm afraid I had to give up reading after the first paragraph, because it it grated so much to see the same words appearing over and over again.

However, in my understanding, while keyword sfuffing could well result in Google penalties with respect to placement in the search results, it should not have any impact on the presence or absence of ads, which is dictated by an automatic filter set by HP.

1. habee profile image92

Richard and WA, I agree with the keyword thingie. After I publish a hub, I go back later and read it, changing/removing keywords as I go. I hadn't done that to this one yet because I first wanted to find out what triggered the alarm. I've been trying to think of synonyms for hot peppers and hot sauce, but it's pretty tough. Fiery fruits? Capsaicin-rich fruits? Hot little numbers? Condiment from hell? Liquid fire? lol

I don't think too many keywords would disable ads, though.

7. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Ads have been re-enabled! I still wonder what triggered the alarm, though.

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image75
      Marina Lazarevicposted 11 years agoin reply to this

habee -- thanks for being patient! smile The content filters are tuned to have a low false positive rate, but some false positives are inevitable. For more information on why ads get disabled, please visit: http://hubpages.com/faq/#adsdisabled

If this happens again, use the 'contact us' form linked from the FAQ entry above. It will route the question to the person best equipped to handle it in a timely fashion.

2. answers-questions profile image60
      answers-questionsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Okay, the same thing happened to me, I must be patient smile ...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)