How will Scientologists react to "The Master"?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

New movie "The Master" starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams, is a fictional depiction of L. Ron Hubbard and the religion he founded, Scientology, as dangerous and a cult.
    Expecting strong reaction from Scientologists.

So, a filmmaker disses their religion and its prophet.
    Should we expect
    a) protests
    b) riots
    c) murders
    from the Scientologist community?
    Why or why not?

Report below.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7421798n

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

According to the link, there was a landslide of hate emails and phone calls and they will need to hire extra security when they premiere the film.

2. e-five profile image93
    e-fiveposted 11 years ago

Perhaps if Scientologists resided primarily in poorer countries that had been systematically taken advantage of for hundreds of years by Hollywood actors, we could expect the same kind of reaction.  Also, if the filmmakers were right wing ideologues and con men trying desperately to stoke a violent reaction to the film to influence the American Presidential election, that would help, too.

1. tussin profile image56
      tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There's also evidence that the high levels of inbreeding among Muslims causes low intelligence, thereby making the populations of certain Muslim countries more prone to violent outrage over silly videos.

http://europenews.dk/en/node/34368

http://www.islam-watch.org/authors/73-b … art-1.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … risks.html

2. Mighty Mom profile image78
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm relieved (on one level) to see someone else say what I've been thinking about the real motive (and likely funding) behind that incendiary film.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Scientologist retaliate with lawyers, not riots.  They do also bug, harass and that sort of thing.  But on the whole I think they'll realise it is fictional and do nothing.

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
      SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this. They will file lawsuits. Another popular scientology tactic is to attack their accusers.
      They also attempt to get their way with bullying and intimidation. They also cover up and deny, deny, deny even if it means lying through their teeth. The crap they pull is so ridiculous and unfathomable that it is easy for their spokespeople to roll their eyes and say "That is ridiculous. We would never do that" and people will buy it because yes, some of the things they have done are very hard for the average person to wrap their mind around. Also, since they call themselves a "church," it puts a warm-fuzzy spin on things.

Scientology is not really a religion but it is a dangerous organization full of power-hungry wannabes in their top positions. These top players are desperate for money, power, recognition, etc. and they prey on vulnerable people to give them money and do their dirty work. People have had to secretly flee in the middle of the night just to get out. If you're one of their brain-washed slaves and you try to leave your post, often they will come get you and physically haul you back to your station, then ship you out, lock you up and make you live/work in one of their RPF (Rehabilitation Project Force) locations. They have forced women to get abortions. They keep young children from seeing their parents. The run so-called drug rehab clinics that have killed people because their their therapy of choice is putting addicts in hot saunas and giving them niacin injections in ultra-high doses. It goes on and on. Scientology is a dangerous cult.

4. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 11 years ago

I've read dianetics by L.Ron Hubbard ...    a dry read and very much repitition ...Had a lot of truth in it shouldn't have ever become a religion. Just shows how desperate some people are.
    Just because something has an answer that we have been looking for shouldn't make it a religion.
    Should it ??
      Did L R Hubbard intend it that way ????     I really don't know!   

Have we been in the dark for so long that we are looking for any glimmer of truth.

A Glimmer of light doesn't make a religion does it ??    I guess it DID?

1. lone77star profile image72
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi @Jerami. Dianetics wasn't made into a religion. It dealt only with the mind and its impact on the body -- like psychosomatic illnesses and the like.

Scientology, on the other hand, was a different body of research which expanded on the discoveries of Dianetics. But Scientology dealt with the spiritual aspect of man, not the mind or body.

Perhaps the biggest drawback of Scientology is the ignorance of ego. The ultimate freedom comes from eliminating the ego -- physical (false) self.

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lone77star    thanks for that explination.  I read the book when it first came out.     (centuries ago it seems)   Don't remember much of it. But at the time ??  it seemed to give me a few answers to questions that I didn't know that I had. That and the Seth series opened my mind to other posabilities that I otherwise would not have considered.
            Where things such as this are conserned ...  I don't think we are ever suposed tp dig about 10 feet and stop ; ...   thinking we have found ALL of the answers.   And YET, I don't want to spend my whole life digging when sometimes it is enough to enjoy life just knowing that it IS.    OOps  NEED  MORE COFFEE!!!

5. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 11 years ago

There are people who made a religion out of Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy as well. It's just not as popular as Scientology. I will give L. Ron some credit though. He wrote fiction that is far more interesting than the fiction that Judaism and Christianity is based upon.

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But for the willing mind; ....     L. Ron didn't say anything that directly oposed anything written in the bible.    ,,,  Now,,,     popular interpretation of those words ....    Yep   L. Ron did contradict just about ALL  interpretations of scripture there are to mis interpret.

6. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

@MM, as a former Scientologist I think there will be a few who will protest. Riots or murders? Perhaps you've been reading too much of the Corporate Party media. About the movie, I'm mainly disappointed that it would be so biased. A lot of people got great benefit from Scientology and some continue to do so.

I wonder if Scientology had been infiltrated by some who wished to emasculate it. Hubbard may have been a scoundrel, but he was also a bloody genius. And Scientology contains a body of discovered knowledge that is nothing short of incredible.

Is Scientology dangerous? Perhaps the politics within that religion are dangerous, but the religion itself isn't, unless you have something to hide. The Bildebergers, Bohemian Grove crowd, Trilateral Commission, Rockefellers and Council on Foreign Relations have things to hide, and the aim of Scientology was to make the able more able and the aware more aware. Criminals don't like that, for obvious reasons.

I had forgotten about most of the Power Elite's behind-the-scenes machinations (some of which I had learned back in the 60s) until last year when I discovered that 9/11 was an inside job. The scientific proof of that is simple, but profound. The New World Order gang are closing in on the complete dismantling of America, while the Corporate Party media keeps alive the illusion of normalcy and choice. Hitler and Goebbels would be jealous at how smoothly they're pulling it off.

My greatest spiritual breakthroughs happened while in Scientology. I feel in a very large sense, Scientology helped to make me a better Christian. I found proof of my own spiritual nature and my ability as a child of God to create. I also found the peace of a mind that was entirely quiet of the noise I've known for most of my life. That peace lasted almost a week, but was one of the most beautiful weeks, spiritually, of my entire life.

I suppose the film will stir the pot and make people more divided. The Corporate Party seems to be good at being divisive. They're counting on conflict to keep us distracted while they finalize their plans to take over the world -- quite literally.

I couldn't believe what I saw in the recent political conventions. Here's a sampling of how voting and Roberts Rules of Order have died:

RNC Scripted:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKaXqoC4DjE

DNC Scripted:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmaE2Aez_XY

This is the type of thing that Scientology had been trying to expose, partly out of self-preservation and partly out of compassion for the rest of humanity who will inevitably suffer at the hands of the Rockefellers, Rothschilds and their ilk.

Aaron Russo on Rockefellers, Microchips, 9/11 and War on Terror Hoax:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaOj-rOGZFE

5 minutes on 9/11 (so funny)  a big joke on us (care of the Rockefellers and their puppets):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmbPh3u7_q0

One-on-One with Obama on Kill Lists:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrerl8EwqH0

While Rome burns, Nero fiddles. America is dying -- its Constitution almost entirely gone -- and the Corporate Party media keeps coming out with gems like this film to keep us entertained.

7. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

Phillip Seymour Hoffman is a genius. Really enjoy all his acting. And having Joaquin Phoenix as his mirror/counterpart is even more genius. Both are outstanding character actors. Why Adam Adams is in there, I have no idea. Only that she might -just might- be representing a Miss Holmes type, to some degree, else to temper the two acting powerhouses. Either or, this is going to be a great film. Will definitely go to the big screen to watch it. {and will wear a bullet-proof vest, just in case...}.

James.

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
      SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I can't wait. I think it will be very entertaining and brilliantly acted.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)