Have You Ever Killed a Thread with Common Sense Or Been Skipped Over?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (60 posts)
  1. mythbuster profile image70
    mythbusterposted 11 years ago

Hello all,

I was just checking around in my activities to see where I spent too much time (reading in forum threads I am shocked that people write in) on HP or not enough time lately (minding my own business, I guess). Naturally, this means I am, again, into the biggest time-killer space for me on all of HP (forum).

I realized when looking at threads I commented in... it seems I have KILLED some threads! Mostly threads where people were arguing and tossing insults around, particularly about other hubbers, politicians and (SIT DOWN, THIS MIGHT SHOCK YOU!) RELIGIOUS BELIEFS and PERSONALITIES (Jesus never, never N-E-V-E-R gets a break around here, does he?). Am I just not cut out for being in the forum, or what?

It appears to me that people often SKIP some of the saner (sometimes I can be sane) comments I've written, then pick back up and respond to the offensive, explosive, or troll-ish comments and never respond if I have asked what people think when they are using their critical thinking on whatever topic is in the thread... OR - I just kill the thread and people leave and stop commenting altogether - tho' I don't believe I've expressed anything negative or offensive in these instances.

Has this happened to anyone else? Do you bring any threads to a grinding halt on occasion, too? Does it seem to anyone else like getting a black mark against you if you say something REASONABLE in the forums these days? Is it against the HP forum constructs to use critical thinking?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do find that from time to time smile

mythbusterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haha, thanks, S./Uninvited Writer!

I thought everyone would entirely skip over this lol

2. profile image0
      Chasukposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Frequently.

My argumentative opponents respond to the sea of sycophants, yet skip over the real debate. I suspect that this is because they crave affirmation rather than actual mental exercise.

Wow, some nice alliteration here, Chasuk!

3. sen.sush23 profile image60
      sen.sush23posted 11 years agoin reply to this

This must be mere co-incidence, but I had posted this same question a few minutes back  on HP.!

I have often felt and experienced similarly and chosen to moderate my frequent visits to such forums. - since I could not further moderate my opinion or logic on such matters (religion, extremism or politics).

Additionally there is a kind of doubt in me as to whether or not I am overstepping my limits in speaking about matters that may be considered geographically and culturally foreign to me.

I hope I did not kill threads, but I definitely have stalled the discussion for some time or else been totally ignored. But after a time, I did not mind that. I understand that most often, such forums, do not care for a moderator. wink

I think I understand your meaning here... I often moderate my visits instead of trying to moderate content in the forums, too, because I react strongly to so much conflict in the threads!

4. kathleenkat profile image84
      kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All the time!

Although I am probably guilty of doing the same thing. It's easy not to see a comment when you're wound up in a discussion with a certain individual.

5. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello mate... big_smile

I always seem to 'kill' a thread... especially when they don't understand my sense of humor, my accent and terminology, or my post is considered to be just too direct roll

I tend to use such times to reflect on how much fun the forums used to be... especially back in the days when we had a rampant moose loose in the forums, closely followed by a UFO after the moose was chased with a stick, out of the religious forums!  big_smile

The UFO referred to was finally determined to be - an Unidentified Fecal Odor...  by the way!  sad

Oh yeah - Pearldiver! I have seen a thread or two that you have ground to a halt! From what Sally's Trove says, we who have stopped up the forum at one time or another can start to consider these happenings fair accomplishments! smile

1. Pearldiver profile image66
          Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol  Well.... apparently it isn't regarded as an achievement mate....  it seems that every time it happens with me.. they take my 'this dude helps newbies, reports spam and makes good forum posts' accolade away!  roll 

What an absolute joke, that shows exactly how certain member's accounts are manipulated!  sad

Sometimes, I struggle to understand and believe how truly petty some puppies are!  So in some respects that pathetic display of 'look what I can do when I don't like ya!' does serve to show that this particular puppy's attitude and 'member' is way shorter than what I know as average!  big_smile

*gasp*
            Manipulated? NO... you're joking!

smile

Screenshot those accolades for proof! That'll show 'em!

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I have often seen in the religion forums where an intelligent post is either:

A. Ignored.

B. Deliberately misconstrued.

This is why I:

A. Never take anything seriously there anymore.

B. Never make intelligent posts there anymore. big_smile

Hi paradigmsearch!

I need to work on adopting your way of thinking on this matter, I guess...and avoid the religion thread but I'm INTERESTED IN religion! lol (always a but...). It's not like I visit the religion portion of the forum on a daily basis or any other section of the forum, so I suppose I should try harder to just AVOID even more than I already do. I follow the new content/status links after logging in some of the time. I'll have to read more carefully first from now on before I click!

3. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 11 years ago

Yes to your question.

I almost never visit the religion threads anyway (not interested), but I have more or less given up on the politics ones as well, because most people are stuck in that "left versus right" mindset. It's almost as though they prefer arguing over trivialities, rather than acknowledge the bigger picture (i.e. that all mainstream politicians are pretty much alike and have pretty much the same policies, barring "hot button" issues like abortion or gay marriage).

4. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 11 years ago

Could it be possible that I've actually killed a thread about thread killing? lol

Way to go, thread killer! (my nastiest insult for the day) haha.

I understand your avoidance of particular sections of the forum... but I thought the forums were supposed to be for reasonable discussions. I think letting a bunch of junk roll around all the time in so many threads and then having to avoid looking into discussion topics of interest just because many are behaving poorly is a shame. It's like letting the MOB get away with whatever they want to just because they are reactive... no accountability... I think I need to grow thicker skin lol

5. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

Oh yeah, i get ignored all the time. In politics, when I post facts.

Example: I posted about GE's real tax rate, around 20%, with the SEC source. Only one person who has talked about GE paying no taxes, and he claimed that the SEC document was just a lie.

Example: I posted about half a dozen companies Bain took over, with SEC sources. I showed how revenues increased compared to debts, I showed how jobs increased... none of the Bain-bashers responded

Sadly, most people don't care about facts that go against their political 'side'. It's a pity too, because we could grow so much as a nation if people cared more about truth than being right.

I think you're on to a good point here "[...] we could grow so much as a nation if people cared more about truth than being right."

I suppose most of our egos are on display in the forums. It's not okay to talk in "truths" if that interferes with ego.

sad

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll be more than happy to have open discussions with you anytime smile

I'll still be right though tongue

6. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

Happens to me all the time...LOL.

Mostly in religious threads because everyone thinks I'm on the other side when I don't agree with them a thousand percent, or because I have the nerve to express that someone they disagree with is correct. 

I still come back, though.  Call me crazy.

smile

Oh, to answer the question with more specificity, I've never killed a thread, but I've been ignored in oodles of 'em!

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Did anybody else hear anything?

big_smile j/k Motown

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

That was funny stuff, Jax!  It made me smile even on the inside!

Haha, did a double take at this - then laughed.

Nice!

smile

1. profile image0

I love stuff like that...that you have to blink and read again.  smile

2. mythbuster profile image70

Oh no...no, not the religious threads, too??? Let's not get started on the mood/aura of the religious threads smile

7. maxoxam41 profile image63
    maxoxam41posted 11 years ago

It is an honor for me to kill a thread either with common, either with rationality. Most of the ones I killed were made by so-called neocons visionaries. Most of them did not have sustainable argumentations, it is too easy. They usual give me the weapon to hang them. A black mark is a military medal for me after battling witheir nonsense!
    You once commented on my hubs and I was proud that you intervened thanks to your caustic intelligence! We need more mythbusterssssssssss!

Wow - I was "caustic" lol I will have to work on that!

1. maxoxam41 profile image63
        maxoxam41posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Caustic for me is a compliment, not too many people have this privilege!

8. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I'm skipped over all the time.
    I'm going to try your technique of common sense, though, mythbuster.
    I'd consider it a personal achievement to actuall "kill' a thread!
    lol

I never thought to consider thread-killing as an achievement... perhaps with this in mind, I will have some fun soon - reading scrappy posts from riled up people and th.....

Actually - no, probably not lol

9. maxoxam41 profile image63
    maxoxam41posted 11 years ago

I couldn't agree more with you mighty mom! LET'S SHAKE HANDS!

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Shake HANDS?
      That's a thread killing idea, for sure, Maxomam!
      How can I come back from that?
      lol

10. Tired Buzzard profile image61
    Tired Buzzardposted 11 years ago

I haven't participated in the HP forum all that much yet, but that happens to me ALL THE TIME on facebook and other forums. I never thought of it as evidence of sanity on my part though, as I always thought I was lacking in that department. wink

S'okay - sometimes sanity is over rated, anyway (it just comes in handy where a LOT of people gather, that's all) lol

11. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Life threadening.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good one, Knol. lol

2. profile image0
      Chasukposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is SEW true! :-)

1. profile image0

lol

2. MelissaBarrett profile image57
        MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

*groans*

12. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

It happens constantly. Often because the same tired old polemics, and the "hot topic in the news" that rekindle those same tired old polemics, are really nuanced collisions of two ideals, which by nature require patient and rational examination. That often requires more than seven to nine words. Nobody on the internet has time for ten or, I shudder to even say it, twelve word posts. And imagine some moron coming in with a full paragraph to read.

Please.

Careful thought, even-handed rhetoric, humility, perspective, the recognition that some things can't be solved perfectly... all that is a big shovel fill of dirt on the flashy light show of Internet "debate."

[Edit- I should add, there are a lot of long-winded folks who fancy they are doing all that, but aren't actually. Not that anyone realizes it, because, of course, that's true, but always someone else that does it.]

13. Sally's Trove profile image77
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

I am a Thread Killer. I have notches in my belt to prove it. I find this thread comforting...I thought I was the only one. lol

Not sure I believe you... (j/k) Can you post a pic of this notched belt for proof?

smile

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
        Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not until I get down to a 24-inch belt. lol

14. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Sea of Sycophants -- sounds like Camus, but it's Chasuk!

(How's that for shamelessly angling for affirmation?)

lol

Chasuk, no doubt, is a WORDsmith! smile
      How distracting for me! (I will marvel at the alliteration a long time before I "get" the content - poetry is DEADLY for me lol)

15. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

I love the way so many people on internet forums attribute the lack of response to their posts (or, many responses to their posts; or, angry responses to their posts; or, humorous responses to their posts; or....) as evidence of their own intellectual superiority.  LOL

Wait, did I just kill this thread?  big_smile

No thread killer but it seems people may have skipped over you! lol

16. ITcoach profile image58
    ITcoachposted 11 years ago

mythbuster,

I would like to skip the thread rather than killing them. I hope you will follow what i want to say. I never respond to useless thread just pass away them.

17. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Some posts don't get answers, some post is always the last post.  I would not read too much into it.

18. Sally's Trove profile image77
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

Haha! You are good at this! smile

2. seanorjohn profile image71
      seanorjohnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Sally good work. But can you kill threads in the sandpit? I not only kill mainstream threads but seriously wound threads in the sandpit that have been going for years. Stuff like change a letter etc.

19. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

Nope, never happened to me here in the forums.....

Oh BTW did anyone bring coffee?

1. profile image0

I got coffee, Jase.  smile  Good morning!

2. mythbuster profile image70

Did anyone ever bring you some coffee? smile

20. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

Good Morning M2C,

Sheesh still evening here!!!!! lol

1. profile image0

I figured...lol  I couldn't figure out why you wanted coffee at your late hour!

big_smile

21. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

Mythbuster , Okay I admit it ! I get in a mood ......often triggered by some personal slight or  a direct hit by someone trying to ofend another ! I'm sorry for those of you who might look at my avatar and think........."Oh he's a little testy tonight "lol.......No offence to anyone . None taken either !

We all get in those moods, I think, ahorseback!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)