Disillusioned with HubPages: Deleting my ACCOUNT (Good Bye!)

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (58 posts)
  1. profile image0
    FreyaKraftposted 11 years ago

Well, I came a few days ago and joined this website, unsuspecting the practices of this website. I thought this website is run by honest and sincere people. I have been very hurt to find how this website manipulates the people who join them. There is no money on HubPages, at least not what HubPages advertises on it's frontpage.

I can not put up in such a place like this.  I have sent them a request to delete my account. This thread is for the few people who followed me in this short time, or commented graciously over my work. I wish you all well.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/103416

1. Rik Ravado profile image86
      Rik Ravadoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is silly.  I'm fed up with unjustified criticism of hubpages! mad

Freya posted 3 poems 2 days ago.  They are not remotely commercial.  She has no basis for this criticism - I've been here over 4 years and have continued to make money in spite of Panda and all the other changes.  Staff are fair and do their best to keep up with a rapidly changing online environment.  No one is ripping anyone off.  My traffic has never been better.

Please note I have no axe to grind - I'm not an 'elite' or an insider.  I'm here because its fun and I do make a reasonable amount of cash! smile

1. profile image0
        FreyaKraftposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To save you, Rik, you can not read a novel starting from the middle and complaining that you don't understand who did what for which reason. I have seen that you have left a reply into that thread which caused me to make my mind that I should quit this place.

You didn't really understand. What can I say. Be happy getting your money, that you claim you get. Good life.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
          Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To save you, Rik, you can not read a novel starting from the middle and complaining that you don't understand who did what for which reason

Likewise, you cannot join a content writing site and expect hubs which are just a couple of days old, to be generating the income which mature hubs may earn.

1. profile image0

Good God! Where did you get this impression from, that I am here for money? I am a writer of literature, and that does not give you any money here. Does it? Is HubPages a platform to advance a serious literary career? HubPages is a hobbyist venue at it's best. I have checked a few people around. At best, HubPages has boosted their self-esteem to get self-published themselves from Amazon. Sorry ambition.

And if I were to really earn money online, I would have never wasted my time into a rev-share website like this one. It's better to have your own house than to have a landlord.

I am quitting because it's against my principle to live with a hoax. HubPages claims that one can get #1500 in a month after they join. The reality? It takes years to get a foothold here, and then too, one is not sure whether 'luck' would be kind to them and will not rob their ad-accounts for some mysterious reasons.

A lie, however well-dressed it maybe, is still a lie. Some people like it. Some do not.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
              Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So it's not the money but it is the money!

1. Phenoms profile image61
                Phenomsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's the dishonesty, the manipulation, the lies...

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, Freya, it will be sad to see you go.  I'm not sure where you got the impression that you could make loads of money in a couple of days.  It takes quite a bit of time to earn significantly from your HP work, definitely more than the two days you've been here.  I wish you all the best in other online endeavors.

1. profile image0

Thanks Michele. You are very kind. I have been here for a short time, but incidentally got involved into a lot. I can not afford to be into a place like this, where people are continuously deceived and manipulated. Anyway, there are some good people too, who joined this site by accident, and now can not leave this place because of the relationships they have made. I have already made a friendship with someone who commented on one of my very first hubs, her name is Maralexa. What can I say.

3. Novel Treasure profile image89
      Novel Treasureposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Freya, I wish we had been given a chance to help you. There are some great tips and techniques in the learning center, but I know that most of the hubbers would have loved to give you some help.

I have been with hubpages for a little over a year and it was very slow and tedious for me to make $ at first, but eventually I figured out the concept and am doing great.
      I wish you the best in your online journey and hope you rethink your decision to leave.

4. hockey8mn profile image68
      hockey8mnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is a prime example of what is wrong with my generation.  Do something because they are told they could make money (not guaranteed).  Do it for two days.  Make nothing.  Lose hope and quite.  Complain about it to others while blaming someone else for their short comings.  Please grow up.  If not for anything else, stay on hubpages because you love to write.  I make next to nothing from this site, but I enjoy writing about the topics I find interesting.  If this is your only source of income after joining 2 days ago.  Go find a real job.

Good to know that you love to waste your time on this website. The problem of your generation is that they are too quick to make their minds. Not to mention that they have a myopia towards valid informations.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/103416

5. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image83
      Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

FreyaKraft, I think if you want to discontinue being on Hubpages, you need to delete your own hubs.  I don't think Hubpages will do it for you unless you've done something against the rules.  So you would therefore need to delete your hubs one by one and then send them an email that you would like your account closed.  I think that's how it works.

6. tussin profile image56
      tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You look better with a foot inside you.

7. Shanna11 profile image75
      Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

There's no money in Hubpages? Psh, tell that to the college bills and car payments I've paid using money I've earned on Hubpages.

If there's no money in Hubpages, I guess I should be expecting some debt collectors soon. tongue Can they repossess things like timing belts and credit hours-- anyone know?

Thanks! I heard someone even bought an island from their pay off from HubPages, how's that? ha ha ha

8. PhoenixV profile image64
      PhoenixVposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You cant possibly expect to make money in two days.  People work very hard to become successful. Nothing in life is easy and I have never seen Hubpages claim it would be. It takes work and theres some learning that needs to be done, It takes some luck too, the internet is changing every day and there is massive competition. At least give it 90 days and find that niche that you can potentially earn with.

It takes a year to earn $50 here. Go figure.

2. Ddraigcoch profile image72
    Ddraigcochposted 11 years ago

Seconded Rik. The OP has done what is well known as a "Diva flounce"..

1. profile image0

Funny. Your mind leaves one baffled. I know people in the real world, who see everywhere a thief or a robber. The deeper you go into their psyche, you get this terrible fact that they had themselves committed such acts in the pact.

It's really funny that you do look like what you are describing. It's better not to get into the past. The horror!

3. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

This profile was a manifest sock puppet.
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/103416? … ost2202272

I am waiting for its new incarnation to start contributing tedious comments to this thread, in addition to starting many new threads.

Yawn.....

1. tussin profile image56
      tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes, and I am waiting for the gaggle of "experienced" "veteran" hubbers to make fools of themselves before they realize they are talking to a sockpuppet and not a newbie looking for help.    Did some of you people just discover the Internet yesterday?  How can you not spot these things from a mile away?

2. Phenoms profile image61

So very uncanny that you call everyone a sockpuppet except yourself.  Good grief.

"This thread is for the few people who followed me in this short time, or commented graciously over my work. I wish you all well. "

Some people are so full of hatred that they don't even have the last drop of common courtesy. It's wasn't for you, to begin with. I left a reply that day for you. Go and drink that one. The bootlegger is waiting, ha ha.

4. profile image0
    FreyaKraftposted 11 years ago

Well, someone seems to have a free license to call anyone a 'sock puppet'. Such decency of behavior. Well, to save her, I would advise her to go to that very thread and read the reply I left for her. That's a tonic.

It's really odd to discover a troll like her who spends 12 hours a day trying to find anyone who has questions regarding the policies of this site. Perhaps she is paid for her services by the head-quarters. Good life for a witch like her.

1. profile image0
      HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Freya, I feel for you, but if you're not upset over money - what is it (specifically) that you find to be untrue about Hubpages?

Who deceived you? Many here make a few (or more) bucks for their efforts, but it takes a long time to increase passive revenue earnings. It doesn't happen overnight.

Try as I might - I can't find one thing HubPages has misrepresented.

So please - tell us why you say you were deceived.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

if it quacks like a sock...

For that matter, the psycho-logist around here is the prime example.

1. psycheskinner profile image83

You seem to have trouble practising what you preach.

3. Ddraigcoch profile image72
      Ddraigcochposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What is wrong with witches?

4. mattforte profile image87
      mattforteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's funny, because this sock puppet even uses the same type of very distinct verbage that the recent troll, "Phenoms" uses. It couldn't be more obvious that they're the same person.

This is hilarious.

I joined HP under a year ago. I'm already past payout this month, and I haven't written a hub in a couple months. Why people think trolling like this is actually going to damage the reputation of the website is beyond me...can't prove to me that there is no money on HP when I've already been paid hundreds.

Sad you think this is going to defame a good website like this one. People outside have no knowledge what this is all about. Wake up, dude. Take classes from Noam Chomsky to improve your skills. Otherwise you look quite off the mark. Sad life. If you are saying that ghosts exist, like the pay off you mentioned, then more power to you. Good luck!

5. WriteAngled profile image75

Well this farewell is taking longer than some opera death scenes.

http://youtu.be/VBmE_t72A24

Our Freya will at least be able to follow what is being sung, although maybe not the spoken asides.

Strange that you have no work other than getting behind a false avatar and taunting people who are just about to leave a hoax website. I said something that day, remember? What a joke will it be if this turns to be real, WrongAngled, ha ha

"It might be that you're the floor-sweeper in a grocery. Can't be sure. It might be you were divorced because you had extra-marital affair with someone. It might be you had someone close to you who was an 18-year-old burger flipper in MacDonalds, with nothing more to look for in life because he failed totally at school. That might have been your father, or your kid. And now, you see that pattern everywhere.

Many things are possible. Without evidence, they are junk."

6. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 11 years ago

Freya, I totally believe you deserve 1500 bucks a month for your three poems. But perhaps they are too beautiful for this world? I know I read one and my eyes started bleeding from the unearthly magnificence. HubPages, and in fact, humanity, are not yet ready to understand the sublime inner truth you are willing to share.

Best to don the skin of father coyote and fly away to a new realm, one of supernal grace and beauty where your incites will be better received.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

HubPages won't allow animated GIF files, so just imagine that I replied with the GIF of Orson Wells clapping in CITIZEN KANE here.

1. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image83
        Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that's called for.  I've noticed your retorts are quite biting -- or at least I noticed that the first year I was on Hubpages.  Who knows what this girl is going through in her private life?  Why be so mean?

1. psycheskinner profile image83

I think it is only natural that someone who is being dishonest about their identity and who declares we are shills and liars is not going to be given the wide open embrace of a warm welcome.

How the h*l you are so sure that 'someone is being dishonest about their identity'? How do I know that you are not doing the same thing? Don't make immature jokes, hah.

2. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Read all threads that this person is posting in.

It's a sockpuppet, fair and square.

Relache's retorts are biting. Always (nearly). We know that, we expect it, what is your problem?

It's your problem that you have a freedom to insult people as you might feel it, dizzy. I call you a troll. Does that make you a troll? Grow up.

3. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So... You endorse the various and sundry open name-calling, but find it objectionable that I found one comment especially pointed.

Noted.

Dang, dude. Freya wasn't here for money. And, to add further, there are folks to whom civilization has little meaning. To a savage, uneducated barf, reading Shakespeare may seem "started bleeding from the unearthly magnificence".

Ha ha ha, you have so much secret hatred for a person whom you don't even know. Makes me laugh, dudio. Get a life away from the tabloid screen.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/103416#post2203755

1. Len Cannon profile image87
        Len Cannonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is a known fact that I am a pigman from Barfworld.

Fits well with your avatar.

7. WriteAngled profile image75

Perhaps she should try them in her native language, Len? We all need a bit of Sturm und Drang, nicht wahr?

Die Farbe dieses Cosmos

Ich habe eine Krähe, die kommt
    Um mich auf jeden Morgen, Tod...

und so weiter, und weiter, und weiter......

Although, on the other hand, our Freya studies in Budapest. I'm sure she has picked up a bit of Hungarian. Perhaps that will be best fitting to her Muse. Perhaps she will become the new Magda Szabó.

1. the girls profile image68
      the girlsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand why this forum has lightened my mood.... on a Monday.

"I knew the stool-pigeon would drop the dime".

You can Google translate that as well. Grow up, sweetie, ha ha

8. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

You can't expect to make any money in that short amount of time. It took me weeks to make my first dollar here! I have heard rumors that it takes upwards of 6 months to get a steady income from this site.

There is money in HubPages...but you have to give it a chance.

That is the problem. Because HubPages claims that anyone can make $1500 here per month, from the date that they join this website. The promise and they reality are terribly different.

9. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 11 years ago

Still here? I thought "she" would be gone by now, after all a couple of days after pouring here heart and soul in those three wonderful auto generated "poems"  (See sites such as http://thinkzone.wlonk.com/PoemGen/PoemGen.htm)

I too would have expected to have generated $1500 for the investment I would have made.

"Goodby hubpage from a sad sock puppet

But it seems, oh woe, no one doth care.

so just remember, don't fondle your pets

Zenna Henderson's pals stone you to death in the town square"

from http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/Poem/   At least as good don't you think..

Ha ha ha...so funny. Why are you so frustrated? It makes me laugh when I see that you would go to that level. Hey, dude! Come on! You can't accuse Shakespeare to be the mistakes of a pen! Get real, and take fresh air to cool down your anger. ha ha

10. Phenoms profile image61
    Phenomsposted 11 years ago

Well, HubPages do manipulate the people with their advertisements. HubPages claims that people get thousands of dollars every month, and they have set their photo in the frontpage. The the usual covies (or covens) would tell you otherwise.

http://hubpages.com/success/

I had no idea that what I read in the front page was partial. Take this frontpage entry for example, it reads -

"Kathryn Vercillo
    earns $1,500 a month writing on things that truly interest her"

Reading that one may assume that Kathryn has been getting $1,500 every month since she joined this website. Those who read more carefully, they may reach the conclusion that she gets around 1500 dollars each month, and not exactly 1500. Now go to the link that I gave above. There it reads quite different-

"Average passive monthly earnings: $1,500 as of 10/12/2011"

The word 'average' is missing in the frontpage entry, and those who join this website read that entry, and not the link that you read above, and that word 'average' makes a huge difference. She joined this website 5 years ago. It might be as well that she started earning money after two years, more maybe, since the date that she joined this website. We don't get that reality while we read about those featured members, in the frontpage.

And there is still no certainty that what I read through that link is true or not, the reason that I created this thread. There is no evidence. Perhaps Freya didn't like to be in a website where all these unfair practices are run. Hats off to her. I wish you well, Freya.

1. kathleenkat profile image83
      kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cool,

Please discontinue the use of your television and radio, as advertisements use this technique to catch your attention, as well. HubPages tries to get people to use their website....so, they highlight the good parts for you to see first. Not exactly manipulation. Though, if it is, the world must be a sad place for you.

Yes, as I avoid television and advertisements in general, so the world must be a sad place for me, I understand.

HubPages makes claims in air. If you are religious about this site, and you are faithful to every word they say, more power to you. Keep believing and keep getting paid $1500 per month. Good luck with that.

11. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 11 years ago

Hubpages has its advantages but please do not think there is money here.

12. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

If you suspect you have a troll on a website the easiest way to get it to move on might be to starve it of attention.

Freya has left for that reason, it seems. At least one can not argue and exchange insults with these mature, professional trolls. Anyway. They say they earn here, how sweet of that.

13. Phenoms profile image61
    Phenomsposted 11 years ago

Well, if this a hobbyist venue, to be exact. Some people even use this website to mature their religious side, and that help them to know God better, I guess. The continuous 24*7 threads in the religion category makes an outsider wonder that we are living in 21st century, or something.

That is great. But please do not say that this place makes one earn $1500 per month. Good God!

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)