Are You Rich or Poor?

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (62 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image61
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Hello, open to all. If you are poor, why are you poor and how did you get poor? If you are rich, why and how did you get rich?

1. Jason Zimmerman profile image59
      Jason Zimmermanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not rich, but as long as I can provide for my girlfriend, and not lose sleep I'm ok. I love to write, and I wouldn't do it so much if I didn't enjoy it, but I also do it for extra money.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Neither rich nor poor, but in THE MIDDLE.  Grateful for what I have attained & have.  There ARE ALWAYS opportunities for those to improve their socioeconomic status no matter where they ARE.   The socioeconomic wheels are always dynamic.  Rich CAN become poor & poor CAN become rich- it is all about MINDSET, SMARTS, &........ATTITUDE.
      http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/8386899.jpg
      Exemplary example of poor...........to RICH, no MEGA-RICH.  Never give up hope.  DON'T LET your present socioeconomic status DETERMINE you.   YOU determine where YOU are GOING socioeconomically!

2. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

I am extremely poor, took me a while to get as poor as this, it's a bit of a long story also, so it would be boring for everyone.........

3. gspot911 profile image58
    gspot911posted 14 years ago

Im poor now, but im starting my own business so i wont be poor for long! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good Stuff, Best Wishes. What kind of business if you don't mind sharing?

1. gspot911 profile image58
        gspot911posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i dont mind. im going to give kids basketball lessons and eventually football lessons as well. I have other things i want to do as well.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't say I am poor, but I am certainly not rich. I can pay my bills and have a little left over, so I'm okay. However, I would definitely like to earn a little more so I can actually save money.

1. rastrother profile image40
      rastrotherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

me to sister i am in the same boat you are. i do make enough money to pay my bills but then only have a little bit of money left over, not enough to start saving

5. Christenstock profile image57
    Christenstockposted 14 years ago

Rich or Poor? Hmmm...My family and friends make me the richest man in the world!

1. Army Infantry Mom profile image61
      Army Infantry Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that,...That's exactly wht I was gonna say,..LOL

6. Laughing Mom profile image60
    Laughing Momposted 14 years ago

Monetary wise?  Probably somewhere in between.  We don't have alot of extra money--we put alot into savings and college funds.  But we have enough to live a decent lifestyle.  There are many days I could use a bigger house and a bigger car, but that's when I remind myself that at least I have a roof over my head and a truck that runs well.
    Giving up a full time income took a toll on how we live, but it's worth it for me to be home with my kids.  Because with them, I'm a pretty rich girl!

1. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

aww, you beat me to it. I have no money. I mean, honest to God, I have 6 dollars in the bank. But my kids are healthy, I have both my hands, and man who loves me. The bills are paid, and I have a roof over my head. Rich and poor, such realtive things....

7. marinealways24 profile image61

Question for everyone: In a materialistic sense, will one ever get rich simply by saving?

1. Laughing Mom profile image60
      Laughing Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, you'd get more rich than poor, I'd think.  At some point, my family would like to be able to really enjoy everything we've worked so hard for.  Saving up enough to be able to take off and do that gives my husband added incentive to get up and go to work every morning.  He has something to look forward to instead of feeling like he's just working to pay a bill and survive another day.  JMO.

Excellent perspective. Thanks

2. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Capital NO!!!

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know we are supposed to be saving more, but I don't know that it makes a lot of sense right now. I would put money in stuff. Money is going to worthless soon, or nearly worthless. A pile of it won't help you. You can't eat it. It doesn't burn very well or generate much heat in winter.

8. marinealways24 profile image61

All answers are good whether in a family sense or a materialistic sense.

9. profile image48
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

1. Loads of money - No friends

2. Poor - Loads of Love and friends.

Define what you class as rich, me, I will take number 2.

1. gmwilliams profile image84

I'll take #1 anytime.  #2 is pointless, love DOESN'T put food on the table, pays one's rent, & insure a financially stable future.   Money is ALL.

10. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

We are sort of medium, I guess.  I believe 'middle class' is an ideological American construct...and actually a good one.

And yes, one can get rich by saving, if you have the diligence and self control:

http://www.consumerismcommentary.com/20 … -11hr-job/

Excellent Story, Thanks for posting that.

2. LondonGirl profile image83
      LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A British one, I'd have thought - Napolean's "nation of shopkeepers"

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, we take much from you guys, as you know.

3. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love that story...I remember reading it last year in an economics course. It is very possible to save a million dollars. Easier if you are younger, but still possible even in your 40's.

Do a search for "how to save a million dollars". There are lots of plausible plans for every age.

I am only 22 and have been living off my savings the last 7 months. I had a lot saved up, but I needed to 'live'. It was something I needed to do, I needed a break from working and I wanted to finally get to travel for leisure. I'm taking out loans to go back to school full-time this fall. Some may think that's dumb after I had enough saved for a few years of college, but I don't mind what happened. It was a good learning lesson. After I pay off my loans, I'll be in good shape to start saving for retirement. I think it ultimately depends on if you want to live in the now or save for later. Right now, I've been living life to the fullest, but realize that I need to start saving!

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I personally could not live as frugally as the millionaire making $11 per hour...my little sister, now.  Yes.  And she does...and she has quite a bit saved up.

But I would have gone crazy without the education I have (which cost me plenty...and is the main reason I don't have a Phd or terminal art degree), or without any travel, or just certain things I find interesting--mainly cultural--that make me feel like I'm living.

My approach, since I do have some debt built up, is investments.  I feel like it is the only way to actually make some real $$.  Even if you have a good job, 401ks are not all that--I feel like the way things are set up, you have to take responsibility for your own money.  I feel one can never get wealthy doing what other people tell you to do and running the general pattern of college, job, marriage, big mortgage, retirement.

11. getpaidtopost profile image40
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

The only thing that would make me feel rich is being able to spend as much time with my family as possible. Now I only see my wife and daughter 2 days a week due to different work shifts. It sucks.

1. Laughing Mom profile image60
      Laughing Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it's the casualties of a tough economy that are worse than the actual economy.  I hope you get back on a schedule that works better for you soon.  I'm sure they really miss you, too!

1. getpaidtopost profile image40
        getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Laughing Mom, Thanks. You are definitely correct. Since I Lost my fulltime daytime job due to the company going bankrupt, I had to take the first job I found. Which is working 4.30pm - 2.30am, my family arrive home at 6pm, Ive gone to work by this time and when I arrive home they are in bed. When I get up they have gone. Feel so dam lonely. No decent job vacancies makes it even harder. Thank God for hubpages, think I would have topped myself by now, NOT  smile All this is down to the recession.

12. LondonGirl profile image83
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

In any world-wide context, I'm rich. I've always had enough to eat, proper health care, a nice place to live, a good education, and no wars on the doorstep.

I achevied this by being born in London as a British citizen in the late 1970s.

13. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

I am poor but not as poor as I was because for a change I had a decent job for four months this year and saved some of the money that came in.

I am usually poor though because I have failed to find regular paying work and failed to sell any of my creative talents well enough to get my "big break."

14. AEvans profile image74
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Why would it matter if someone is rich or poor, people are people are they not? We should not measure ourselves for what we have, but we should measure ourselves for what we do and how we handle ourselves, you see I am wealthy because I have family and friends who surround me. smile

15. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I'm loved, by those that I wish to be loved by. That's enough rich for me.

I had money, in a former life. None now. And I'm the happier for it.

16. jenblacksheep profile image68
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

Happiness is important and what makes you truly happy. If money and material possessions make you really happy/fulfilled then fine. Most people though will tend to say that money is not important and that friendship, love etc makes them happy. Rich/Poor is irrelevant.

17. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I am poor.

18. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

There are still rich people left out there???

19. spiderpam profile image73
    spiderpamposted 14 years ago

Poor-Student Loans

20. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 14 years ago

I am capable of paying all my bills, and buying enough food to feed my family, owning a computer and being online.

So no, I am not poor.

21. LondonGirl profile image83
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

I imagine none of the people writing here are among the 1 billion people in the world without enough to eat. We all have spare money to spend on computers and internet connections.

22. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Like the dreaded frogdroppings I had money in a previous life, but I am ok with just not being poor.

23. k@ri profile image85
    k@riposted 14 years ago

I provide a good life for my family as a single mother.  It may take working like a dog, but that's OK.  I am also very rich in the love of my family for which I am most grateful. 

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp342/Darjeeling52/snow%20person/NovDec08092.jpg

Sorry, I just felt richer seeing this happy snowman!

lol why is there a pine cone at his waist/leg area?

24. chukra G profile image60
    chukra Gposted 14 years ago

born RICH but money ruined me smile

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah right, it's the moneys fault.

1. getpaidtopost profile image40
        getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

right you are darkside. People with money are ruined by abuse, It not the moneys fault chukra G. Money would stop most peoples worries.

25. My Inner Jew profile image64
    My Inner Jewposted 14 years ago

depends on what you measure wealth by....if you are meaning money i am very poor, but if you are meaning in family and friends then i am very rich

26. onthewriteside profile image61
    onthewritesideposted 14 years ago

I earned my money the old-fashioned way...I inherited it!  I'm so friggin rich that I just put ten gazillion dollars in Marine's paypal account so she can afford to buy that poor snowman a coat!

1. onthewriteside profile image61
      onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oops sorry....that was K@ri's snowman i guess....lol

27. utu profile image59
    utuposted 14 years ago

Well I can go  buy whatever I want, so what does that make me.  It often easier to be poor! No jealousy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

Being a good saver, may not make you rich, but it would certainly help out in hard times.... I have never been a saver, but when I get back into the work force, I will put a little away instead of spending it all.......

29. anime_nanet profile image59
    anime_nanetposted 14 years ago

Too much love will kill you, just as sure as none at all...

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have never heard of too much love, I would like to try for it.

30. Enelle Lamb profile image74
    Enelle Lambposted 14 years ago

I like to think of myself as extremely rich...however, I don't have a lot of cash...does that qualify?

31. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 14 years ago

I am all three. "Three," you ask?

I am rich beyond my wildest dreams in the number of good friends whom I have and...well, I better not mention anything religious in case I get "smacked" again! smile

I am "in between" in the sense that I am slowly recovering from the absolute fortune I lost because of Credit Crunch.

I am poor in the sense that I miss my ex more and more with every passing day. I thought it was supposed to get easier with time? sad

Friends, the story is true...I am that soldier! smile

32. Pete Maida profile image61
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

The terms are relative.  Unless you are completely down and out or your Bill Gates; there are people that see you as rich and people that see you as poor.

33. RKHenry profile image62
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

What's below poor?

1. gmwilliams profile image84

Poverty, penury...............

34. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I am so angry with Bank Of America
    They loved me when I handed them $4,000 foreign currency, and now when I ask for a basic credit card ,they want me to establish a longer banking history!
    Too bad I didnt ask them to provide one for me 5mths ago, grrrrr

To tell you the truth Im sick of banks ,just wish our money system was all different.

1. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah. my husband works for a landscaping company, and they do the lawn for a local bank, and the manager there actually said.."we have so much money, we dont know what to do with it."..he was concerned about taxes...and my bank just changed its rules..if I have lees then 100 dollars in checking any day, I will be charged a 35 dollar service fee...

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its crazy !!, what service is that covering I wonder?
        Well I just learned Pres Obama or his office is on Facebook, plus he has his Washington  website , might have to check that out some more...

35. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

I am a rich rich as far as having a wonderful loving family, good health, and beautiful lifestyle surrounded by nature. I am poor in monetary terms having enough to cover bills and keep a roof over my head, but little extra. Even when I had a high paying job we weren't really any happier. Money doesn't buy happiness it just makes life a little easier. The more money people make, the more they often stress about losing it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)