The Bible and morality

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (102 posts)
  1. Brian in Canada profile image59
    Brian in Canadaposted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7165576.jpg
    Should the Bible be our source for morality?

1. youcanwin profile image42
      youcanwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, of course.  There is no other book equal to Bible for morality.

1. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So you must be in favour of rape, murder and slavery.

1. Chris Neal profile image78
          Chris Nealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not, but I still believe that the Bible should be our source for morality. In fact, it really already is. The majority of western law is based on Biblical principals.

1. twosheds1 profile image60
            twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

How is the "majority of western law" based on the Bible?

Don't kill
              Don't steal
              Don't sleep with someone you're not married to (until relatively recent times, now go for it)
              Don't hurt people
              Don't enslave people

These and the ten thousand variations are out of the Bible. Many western courts even had copies of the Ten Commandments in them. Many still do.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
                psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They are in the Bible, they are also in codes of law that predate the bible or were developed in non Christian nations.  hey are also pretty obviously stuff people don';t want done to them not matter what their creed.

That doesn't change my point. Western nations largely based their legal codes on the Bible. It was in places where things started getting weird that they strayed from the Bible. Maybe not so much in Eastern nations, but most Western ones did.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
                    psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I disagree with your point.  The western codes are based largely on avoiding harm and supporting a civil society.  They are essentially the same as any first world nations code, Christian or not.

The truly weird laws are those that are explicitly religion in structure as they are not contained by utilitarian principle of avoid harm but purely on scripture.

Their explicit basis is in *Roman* Law.

2. Paul Wingert profile image62
                Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So basiaclly some people out there need a Bible as a morality tool even though these "moralities" are basic common sense. Have there ever been a time in history where people were able to think for themselves?

If there ever has, this isn't it.

2. profile image0

The problem is not every one thinks. Unfortunately there are those who need to think someone is always watching. Let those hold onto it. We know the truth.

3. Chris Neal profile image78

P.S. - Reading the Bible and thinking for yourself are not mutually exclusive.

3. twosheds1 profile image60

So other cultures that don't have a Christian background allow theft, murder and adultry? Before the Bible those things were allowed?

And do I need to cite all the crazy hookups from the Bible? (e.g., Lot's daughters sleeping with him)

Whoa! Let's rumble!

Okay, my point is that modern western cultures pattern a lot of their laws on the Bible. If you want to discuss the origins of morality in general, fine. But my point stands, and that's it.

Crazy hookups, hmmm....

I've often said (and it's not original to me) that it's a huge mistake to think that just because something is recorded in the Bible means that the Bible says it's a good thing. Just because God didn't come down and smite Lot's daughters on the spot doesn't mean they "got away with it," let alone that God approved of what they were doing. The descendents of Lot's daughters were groups that were at odds with the Israelites historically. Then they disappeared. To us in the 21st century, that may not seem like such a big deal but to people back then, it was a very big deal indeed. The descendents of Lot and his daughters did not share in the Blessing. God most certainly did not approve of what they were doing.

People keep pulling that one out. Got any others?

Marriage, specifically:

- An arranged marriage—Genesis 24:1-4 (and many other passages)

- A levirate marriage (If a man died leaving no male heir, his brother was required to marry his widow and produce children)—Deuteronomy 25:5-10

- A polygamous marriage—1 Kings 11:3 (and many, many other passages)

- Not inter-racial—Deuteronomy 7:14; 1 Corinthians 7:39; 2 Corinthians 6:14

-- Not allowed to be dissolved, i.e. NO DIVORCE—Matthew 5:31-32; Mark 10:2-12; Luke 16:18

- Except when the man wanted to because his wife had become ‘displeasing’ to him—Deuteronomy 24:1-4

- Between a rapist and his victim—Deuteronomy 22:28-29

- An arranged marriage by a slave owner for his slaves—Genesis 24:4

- Can be between brother and sister—How else do you explain where Cain’s wife came from!

- Intended to produce children—Without children a woman was:
                    Shamed—a barren woman was looked upon as cursed by God
                    Unable to be saved—1 Timothy 2:15

Re: the US basing its laws on anything in the Bible, the Constitution was based on the Magna Carta and classical Greek political thought. Law in practice is based on English common law, where court precedent is followed.

2. profile image0

I don't know Chris, we have laws against rape, murder, slavery and extortion.

Yeah, and they mostly came from Biblical morality and frameworks.

1. profile image0

Where does the bible condemn slavery?

Try the entire New Testament.

Even the Old Testament was very particular about slavery. And remember that the OT was taking place in one specific place and time and was for one specific people, the Israelites. But they had strict rules about 'slavery', they didn't hold chattel slaves for life. And the NT makes clear that all men are created equal (which is where the American Founding Fathers got that) and even says that slaves should try to win their freedom if they can.

1. profile image0

So it doesn't tell the slave owners to release and pay these people at once?

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
                    Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps you could quote it for us Chris? I don't recall Jesus saying anything against slavery - but maybe that is my lack of knowledge. wink

2. Jonathan Janco profile image60
          Jonathan Jancoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget incest, pedophilia, polygamy, genocide, human sacrifice, defrauding and betraying members of your own family . . .

And where, exactly, does the Bible tell anybody to commit those things?

2. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sodom and Gomorrah USA is living proof of predominate Christians behavior, who needs words to express those morals

I would point out that Sodom and Gomorrah USA is actually proof of the Bible's veracity. In the OT people were constantly doing what God told them not to. Some of  them were even busy attempting to justify it using the very laws that God had set up. Not unlike western countries today, in fact not unlike the world.

Jesus told us that we should be careful because many people who think they're going to Heaven because they call themselves Christian will be unpleasantly surprised (the parables of the Sheep and the Goats and the Wide and Narrow Path.)

The behavior of people who call themselves 'christian' is not proof that the Bible is false.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76

Just proof that it dose not work for most people on earth because they are not interested or even greater, not aware JC exist and most Christain are not Christ like anyways.

Find something that works for most, like love without all the conditions of love like in the Bible - a instruction book to God - (Yahweh or the Hell way)

Point A I completely agree with.

Point B, I would love to see. It doesn't exist. I was born in the 60's and was surrounded growing up by college-educated, east-coast liberal types who believed in that stuff. So where is it?

1. profile image0

It's called the Law or the Constitution.

There is no god, yahweh or JC written into the Constiuition
                  How will Chris understand these laws without a JC cherry pickin stamp

Reread the Constitution.

And thanks for the cred.

2. twosheds1 profile image60

Oh yeah, definitely! Here's my guide:

Psalms 137:9 - Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Malachi 2:3 - Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces

1 Timothy 2:12 - But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Deuteronomy 28:53 - And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the Lord thy God hath given thee

OK, who wants dung spread on their face? Line up now, 'cause I gotta go!

You gotta love people who intentionally misquote the Bible!

How did I misquote it? I copied those from biblegateway.com. They might have been take out of context, so let's look at the context, shall we?

Here's all of Psalm 137:
          137 By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion.

2 We hanged our harps upon the willows in the midst thereof.

3 For there they that carried us away captive required of us a song; and they that wasted us required of us mirth, saying, Sing us one of the songs of Zion.

4 How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

5 If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget her cunning.

6 If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth; if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy.

7 Remember, O Lord, the children of Edom in the day of Jerusalem; who said, Rase it, rase it, even to the foundation thereof.

8 O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.

9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Quote the whole thing, and it gets weirder! Speaking of weirder, here's Malachi 2: 1-4: And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you.

2 If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the Lord of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart.

3 Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it.

4 And ye shall know that I have sent this commandment unto you, that my covenant might be with Levi, saith the Lord of hosts.

Shall I quote all of 1 Timothy 2? It gets worse.

Um, this is what's called poetry. You know, meter, allegory, allusion? You might as well call Robert Frost or Lord Byron's stuff weird on the same ground. Maybe you do, I don't know. It's not uncommon to call stuff you don't understand weird, I've certainly done it. But still, this is poetry.

This was God speaking to Levite priests who were supposed to uphold His holy name but who instead defiled themselves by partaking in practices they were forbidden to do, then calling on the name of the Lord as if they had done nothing wrong. God said He would not accept their sacrifices anymore and went on to use some colorful language. If you'd bothered to quote the verses before and after that (in other words,  in context) that would have become pretty clear.

I wish you would because from what I can make out from where you did 'quote' 1 verse of 1 Timothy 2, I don't know where you get that. If you can show it to me I would appreciate it.

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

What I take from that is that women shouldn't adorn themselves (i.e., not wear jewelry or makeup) and act is if they are shamed. Modest apparel, yeah, I get that. That's pretty reasonable, I guess, though I think women should be able to decide what they want to wear. But in verse 12, it says women shouldn't teach or have authority over a man (can't have a woman boss, I guess) and should be silent. Verse 11 tells women to shut up in general. There's also a verse (not in Tim, I forget where) that says that women must be silent in church. My Coptic Orthodox brother-in-law maintains that because of that, women should not be ministers. His wife, my wife's sister, disagrees, as I do.

It's easy to say that the OT is outdated and no longer applicable, but Tim. is the NT. And OK, you don't like tats (neither do I) but you can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone with a Jesus or other religious tattoo. I did a Google Images search and got 34 million hits.  Granted, some are satirical (Hello Kitty Jesus being my favorite) but obviously not everyone has a problem with them.

So how does one choose which parts of the OT to follow and which to ignore?

This part of 1 Timothy is controversial even within the evangelical (conservative) Protestant churches. It's pretty well agreed that women should not be in the pulpit, but there are women leaders. And lots of men have women bosses, I certainly have. I don't find that unbliblical.

Yeah, I know there are Jesus tattoos. I see them. I think they're weird but if I was 26 and not 46 I might think differently. I don't know. I don't get weirded out by guys with long hair. I used to be one (before I became a Christian.)

And for the record, my wife was far more against women in the pulpit than I am. I'm not in favor, but my wife's reaction was occasionally something to behold.

As for which parts of the OT to follow and which to discard, well, technically we don't discard any of it. However, the most direct answer to your question, as far as I have been able to figure out, is that it's between the individual and God. Obviously, nobody does the animal sacrifices or stones the blashphemers any more. And even parts that the church leaders believe we should be following are discarded by Joe in the Pew all t he time (and more often that they should be, discarded by the pastors and leaders as well.) The obvious is that some things (like the sacrifices and stonings) applied to specific people in a specific time and place. Others, like do not kill, do not steal, are just common sense, though people still do them. Others, like have no other gods before me, are ones that Christians should be practicing but don't.

"It's pretty well agreed that women should not be in the pulpit, but there are women leaders."
                  Apparently you're not a Methodist. They have tons of women as pastors. For example, the last three pastors at the church where we have our Boy Scout meetings have all had women as pastors.

"it's between the individual and God."
                  But the official position (if Pretestant churches can be said to have one) is against homosexuality, for example, because of Lev. 18. They're not leaving it up to the individual.

"Obviously, nobody does the animal sacrifices or stones the blashphemers any more."
                  Obviously, you go to the wrong church! big_smile What has happened, in effect, is that those parts of the OT (or the NT, for that matter) that we find distasteful in a modern context are discarded. We no longer use the Bible to justify slavery, for example. So Biblical morality has conceded to modernity.

You're right, I'm not a Methodist. smile I tried to differentiate by referring to conservative churches. So 'mainline' or 'liberal' churches like Methodist and Episcopalian, I don't generally comment on.

Goes back to my statement about things being discarded. And for what it's worth, there's almost as much division about homosexuality as there is about women in the pulpit.

Actually, modernity caught up with the Bible vis-a-vis slavery. But your point is right, I think I said pretty much the same thing. Instead of trying to wrestle with what things actually mean and live our lives according to God's Word, we discard what we don't like and live as we please. I'm not excluding myself from that.

3. gloriajeanjones profile image60
      gloriajeanjonesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We most certainly should take notice of what it says about immorality. Look at Sodom and Gommorah they were destroyed because of their sexual conduct. Marrage is sacred and the reason why is because if we all stuck to one partner then STI's wouldn't  happen and that's why Jahovah gives us the bible and it's warnings. It clearly states that man shall not lie with man what it doesn't say is ' or thy shall get AIDS' God left that for us to find out AFTER Men disobeyed him.  It also tells us to abstain from blood-the reason is two fold. 1-Because it belongs to him and 2- Blood contains diseases that cannot be detected until it's in the body. If you go through the Bible you will see many examples of those who ignored the warnings about immorality and their punishments. It's not written there for nothing. So for those of you who take the P out of it I'd be careful if I were you, ever heard of Armageddon, well unless you want to die when that takes place I'd start reading it if I were you and then put it into practice. Oh and by the way if you look at the end of Revelation it tell you that for those who add or take away from it the penalty is death (at armageddon that is) This includeds MIS-QUOTES or mis translations.

So if you're gonna quote Leviticus, I must ask, why follow Lev. 18 & 20, which speaks of "men lying with men as with women" and not Lev. 19, which expressly forbids tattoos? And speaking of the Biblical definition of marriage, let's have a look:

- An arranged marriage—Genesis 24:1-4 (and many other passages)

- A levirate marriage (If a man died leaving no male heir, his brother was required to marry his widow and produce children)—Deuteronomy 25:5-10

- A polygamous marriage—1 Kings 11:3 (and many, many other passages)

- Not inter-racial—Deuteronomy 7:14; 1 Corinthians 7:39; 2 Corinthians 6:14

- Filled with sexual prohibitions—no intercourse during menstruation (The woman is unclean. Yet another degradation of women.) —The woman cannot withhold sex from her husband; she has to fulfill his desire for sex when he wants it. (And another example of the Bible’s misogyny)

- Not allowed to be dissolved, i.e. NO DIVORCE—Matthew 5:31-32; Mark 10:2-12; Luke 16:18

- Except when the man wanted to because his wife had become ‘displeasing’ to him—Deuteronomy 24:1-4

- Between a rapist and his victim—Deuteronomy 22:28-29

- An arranged marriage by a slave owner for his slaves—Genesis 24:4

- Can be between brother and sister—How else do you explain where Cain’s wife came from!

- Intended to produce children—Without children a woman was:
        Shamed—a barren woman was looked upon as cursed by God
        Unable to be saved—1 Timothy 2:15

Wow!

Jesus said (since you're quoting Jesus) that the men who sent their wives away "because they were displeasing to them" GOT IT WRONG! God hates divorce under any circumstances, and only when the man us unfaithful to his wife is the wife allowed to leave. The man is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG to send his wife away for any circumstance he pleases (Jesus said Moses allowed it because their "hearts were hard." That means He knew that Moses couldn't stop it but he still shouldn't have allowed it.)

If you're gonna quote, quote right. Don't mix and match contexts. That's the worst kind of cherry-picking.

And I never liked tattoos...

2. DoubleScorpion profile image78
        DoubleScorpionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sodom and Gommorah were destroyed because of how they treated strangers and others...Marriage in the OT days.. was often between a Man and many women...

Kinda like how USA Porn is larger industry than Hollywood

4. Brian in Canada profile image59
      Brian in Canadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think not only is it foolish but dangerous to recieve your morals from the Bible, especially the old Testament. The Old Testament where God asks his followers to commit genocide, murder and rape as well as displaying himself to be a jealous, murderous and unforgiving God. God, the great dictator in the sky who insults our very integrity as human beings. One would have to be immoral, stupid or brainwashed to recieve their morals from the Bible.

2. Annsalo profile image84
    Annsaloposted 11 years ago

Our source of morality should be our brain!

Really? And what if my brain is telling me that girls should be protected but that guy over there is being told by his brain that girls are property to be used and disposed of (literally)? Should the brain still be the ultimate source of morality?

1. profile image0

That's what laws are for. It just doesn't or hasn't works to tell people not to do something for fear of the afterlife. Yes, it does work for a few, but most people don't really believe in hell for it to be a deterrent. Lets look at he mafia for example. They are God fearing people who, steal, extort, promote prostitution and launder money and show up for Sunday mass. Most of the world know the 10 commandments, but which one among us hasn't used the Lords name in vain when agree or stolen a pen from work?

So you're agreeing with me? I was disagreeing with her that the brain should be the ultimate source of morality. You and I may disagree on what the ultimate source of morality is or should be, but we are agreeing that it's not the human brain. If I read you correctly.

1. Annsalo profile image84
            Annsaloposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The majority of human brains think morally. Even those who don't almost always start life out thinking morally. A child knows stealing is wrong from the very first time they take a penny out of their mother's purse. Just because some CHOOSE not to use their brains doesn't mean the moral compass isn't in there still.

Having once been a child myself, and having known many children during my life, I would wonder about that penny stealing thing. Most don't think anything about it the first time. They want the penny, they take the penny. Unless they've been specifically told by Mom or Dad not to, they don't really think about the first time.

That's not argumentative just for the sake of argument. I think about these things. I do believe that many people have an "inner compass" of morality, but I also see society slipping into a much more 'barbaric' frame of mind, legal statutes notwithstanding. I think a lot about what kind of morality comes naturally to people, and what is conditioned by society (or God.)

1. Annsalo profile image84
                Annsaloposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh I agree that society is slipping, I just don't associate that with a lack of the bible or a God. Another thing that would have to be noted is what one person sees as not moral another does.
                A fetus does not develop a heart beat for around 12 days, so even a pro life person could easily say it is moral to abort as long as it is done prior to 12 days after conception.
                Even if the bible is considered "God's Words" it is written word interpret  by man. So man put his (at the time) morals in it. 
                I can say this, I do not have a bible or God in my life and I live morally. I was not raised by moral parents so I didn't get it there. So if it is not in my brain then where did it come from?

I agree with that but that actually makes my point (my point being that the human brain is insufficient as as an arbiter of morality.) Yeah, I'm a Christian and I think the Bible (properly understood) should be the center of societal morality but that's not actually my point.

As a staunch pro-lifer I would say that it's not the heart beat or the brain patterns or any other single biological function that makes a fetus a human being. And as a pro-lifer I would also point out that this is a slippery slope. Once you start defining what is human by a set of biological precepts, no matter how precise or wide-ranging you attempt to be, you open the door for legislation as to who is and who is not human (which we already have, in effect.) That's how you wind up with T4.

As a Calvinist, we could debate what is meant by "written by man." Let me just say that I was not raised in a Christian environment. Your question is both ineresting and worth investigation.

2. profile image0

Yes, so we get our moral compass from our peers and family. That's where it came from. We use our brain to make moral judgments and if the brain is mature were good, if not religion or fear of getting caught by the law may be necessary. That's why we were told about Santa a children. He knows who is naughty or nice.

2. profile image0

You are reading me correctly. We get our moral compass from family, friends, school and the law and sometimes religion, but that's not necessary. Some need to fear the law, some need to fear the afterlife, some need to think someone is always watching, those are the one that haven't matured properly. We are taught not to hurt others, but some just don't get it. Some are left not having any compassion or empathy, while they make good business men they make lousy companions.

2. Brian in Canada profile image59

Annsalo, well said! You have been making some very thoughtful and adept points on this forum. Keep it up!

3. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 11 years ago

there r far better books than bible for moral values...bible is relevant in some context but largely it is book written by bunch of people who lives 1900 years ago...many things have changed since then...

Also, I think it is more a work of philosophy and parables and not to be taken literally. Granted, it is a 2000-yeaar-old philosophy...

Would you also think of religion as a form of culture, as people have been formed more by culture than race? The English speaking Christian countries I do not feel are that civilized, when you look the state of Sodom and Gomorrah behavior .

4. rrhistorian profile image57
    rrhistorianposted 11 years ago

The Bible is a historical collection of facts as documented by people wishing to project thought into a pattern of living that would permit the reader to understand how humans lived during good and bad times.

If the individual chooses to follow the path of the moral individual then the Bible is a good structure.
    If the individual decides that following the immoral path is good because man and God will forgive them, then it is probably not so good.

The only way the Bible is a good source for morality is if the individual reading and interpreting the writings is smart enough to recognize the moral requirements.

This is true for any book that describes the activities that would lead on to a moral life.

Besides, moral is not a book, but the way you choose to live your life.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

If that were the case, they wouldn't need the Bible.

2. Brian in Canada profile image59

If someone decides to receive their morals from the Old Testament I would suggest giving that person a wide berth. The Bible is the most immoral book I have ever read.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)