How do you split your time between different writing projects?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ethan Greenposted 11 years ago

I have 19 hubs to date, with more ideas rattling around the inside of my head like wasps caught in a jar. I also have 2 websites, neither of which are anywhere near the point where I can pat myself on the back and take a breather. I just moved from wordpress.com to wordpress.org and now need to learn how to use the complicated premium theme, and of course move my 2 websites across and hope that it goes smoothly.
    So my question is, how do other people manage their writing time? How do you decide where to focus? Do you focus on one area at a time, or drag them all slowly through the mire of time?
    Answers on a postcard please:-)

1. kekesolis profile image63
      kekesolisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I find it easier to budget my time. Not sure if that sounds strange or not. I have a certain amount of time designated for writing and writing only each day. This is what works for me. Otherwise, there were days I would spend all of my time writing and other things wouldn't get done, or I would spend days upon days of working on other things and writing would take a back burner.

1. kekesolis profile image63
        kekesolisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

By the way, VERY new to Hubpages. Day 2 and counting.

2. Dale Hyde profile image81
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have learned that if I attempt to budget my time, I get very little done. I prefer to use what I call the spur of the moment technique.  Whatever comes to mind when I have time to write, I write, then I post it where I feel led to post it.  I seldom plan ahead.  It always seems like when I do that that I stumble myself and have problems.  Just my two cents worth. smile

2. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

Prioritize. You can't have five or seven goals and do any of them well, there just isn't time, and all the stuff you "could do today" becomes an overwhelming sea of possible choices. So, you have to decide what ONE or TWO things are the most important and do those first. Finish them, then move on to the third and fourth most important goals, which will then be the most important, since you will have completed task one and two.

Decide what the big one (or two) is, and decide what you want it to be by what time. "I want 50 new hubs by December 31, 2010." Or "I want 25 pages of rocking content on such-and-such.com." Then plan out daily work to get you there. You have roughly 98 days to accomplish that goal, which means you divide 50 hubs (or code writing and content generation) by 98 days, and you'll see you have to write just over a half a hub a day between now and then. Never, ever let anything else prevent you from doing that first. If you don't know whether you should do this thing or some other thing... the answer is neither if you haven't completed your main task first. That is basically called "keeping your eye on the ball."

That is how you control your time.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have to prioritize my bread and butter living, that is (I'm a northerner so I don't know if that phrase is used widely internationally lol ) the jobs that give me a weekly income and keeps the wolves from the door. Then, I procrastinate about where my time is best invested (this is not a good habit, I might add)

I've recently, over the last few weeks that is, decided I'm going to throw myself into online writing. Unfortunately however, Goggle have just crushed me with their new algo. So now, I'm thinking that the stuff I've penned is probably crap, and I need to go back to the drawing board.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
        Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just write and put it up. If you write for Google, you will always been at its mercy. If you write for you, write what matters, make it as good as you can, and THEN do what you can to be smart when it comes to search as you tweak and revise, I think you'll be fine. Google will be chasing you rather than the other way around.

Google keeps saying they want quality. They keep trying to get it so the search algos can find quality. If they ever actually get that right, think how lovely you will be sitting if all your stuff is written from the place of your highest writing integrity.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
          Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've been trying to achieve my highest writing integrity recently. Not the commercial stuff obviously, but really detailed hubs which I thought would be helpful. I'd looked at the keywords searchers were using to find them and then asking myself if I've answered the question- if the searcher would have felt satisfied when they left the page. In fact, before I bombed, I wrote one hub that had received 30 odd facebook likes in 12 hours, that's some going for me. I didn't even post it on FB. Alas,  it's now buried in the serps. I'll wait it out though, this new also hasn't settled down yet. I've still got so much to learn.

Well, I have the advantage of knowing nobody is going to find my stuff on Google, so I confess to having the liberty to just write with search impunity. I am at liberty to be true to the message with no, or at least infrequent, concern for serps. I enjoy the irony of it when somehow something shows up anyway.

1. profile image0
              Ethan Greenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How's about this then. People may not find your stuff on Google, but I just checked out your profile, then went over to Amazon, checked out your book reviews, and decided that it would coincide nicely with the fact I just finished my latest sci-fi book, and so bought the Galactic Mage.
              Shame it's only on the kindle edition in the UK Amazon site because shipping was expensive!
              Anyway, point being, Google may not work for you, but Hubpages might:-)

Hah, well, see, there you go. That's what I get for trying to be a whiner.

Hope you enjoy the book!

3. profile image0
    Ethan Greenposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the replies folks. I wish I was able to focus on one thing at a time, but when I try that, I get stuck with the thought of 'oh, but maybe the other project would be more fun, or easier to complete, or more 'successful''. But I like the idea of setting a Hubpages target by the end of the year. I reckon I could do that, and then feel free to procrastinate and dip in and out of the other projects;-) I guess when you start websites that need lots of content, the trap is realizing there is no real finish line; they will just keep growing, so you get sucked into a world of endless page building...

4. austinhealy profile image74
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

When I run out of ideas for one of the projects I work on, I move to another one, I always have 5 or 6 stories "open" at the same time. Sometimes, it's the opposite. I get too many ideas at the same time and I need to walk away for a while to order my thoughts. In other words, I tend to follow a natural process and not prioritize or organize too much smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)