Open letter to "The Captain" and other Hub Pages Pirates

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (60 posts)
  1. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Everyone knows about Errol Flynn, the first of the swashbuckling screen legends who is an inspiration and role model to all the "pirates" on hub pages today.

What is NOT so well known is that he was really born in Tasmania, the small island state underneath Australia. Where I live.
    The studio told people that he was from Ireland, because nobody had ever heard of Tasmania. Luckily, that's still the case 70 years on smile

He was born 100 years ago today, on 20th June 1909.

To celebrate this event, his daughter and grandson are here for a day of special events, including sailing  around our beautiful harbour on a replica sailing  ship, not  unlike one that Errol fought so bravely aboard in his many films.

So all you hub pages pirates - doff your hats, and raise your swords to Errol on this special day.

(I might go down and get some photos, etc and make a hub about this event)

In years gone past, the local authorities actively discouraged any association with Errol Flynn. I don't recall an Errol Flynn park or street, or anything like that to recognise the connection with him.
    Now they are proud of Errol, and any association with him. is keenly sought.

Funny old world, innit.

1. sixtyorso profile image70
      sixtyorsoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Errol Flynn was one of my childhood heroes and his exploits including rumours of his physical prowess were legend.
      I see he was born in thr same month as me!

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

SOS, if you are a Gemini then you must visit my Gemini hub. Need your birthdate to include you too.

1. sixtyorso profile image70

No I am a borderline cancer 29 June

2. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

That is cause for celebration, indeed!
    I propose that all pirates and crew get into the Flynn of things by drawing on pencil thin mustaches!

3. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

And he did a wonderful rendition of Robin Hood.  A pirate or a chivalrous thief, Errol can save me anyday he likes. Swoon!

1. agvulpes profile image87
      agvulpesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry I missed the party.
      Jewels I believe the expression "In like Flynn" was coined with saving damsels in distress in mind. roll

1. Jewels profile image82
        Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Referring to how damsels fell IN love with their hero of course. What else would IN refer to?

I think Jewels it started out meaning that good Errol was always  "dashing in" to save the damsel in distress. I don't know what you were thinking, our Errol was a good guy !roll

He was dashing wasn't he.  He swung in, stuck the sword in, damsels fell in love. Ummmm, I think that's all ins taken care of.

Jewels are you leaving the rest up to our imagination ?

Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi AG,
                With her new catsuit, I don't think she's leaving anything to the imagination!

You think Errol will not save me looking like this?

Er...No Jewels, the word save is not the word I would have used. cool

4. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

For all the Hubber pirates that use facebook (if you haven't already seen this).

STEP 1: GO TO THE BOTTOM LEFT OF YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE.
    STEP 2: CLICK ON ''ENGLISH UK'' (or whatever your selected language)
    STEP 3: WHEN ALL THE DIFFERENT LANGUAGES APPEAR, CLICK ON ENGLISH (PIRATE)

big_smile

1. RooBee profile image82
      RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mrvoodoo, I should have known.
      I did this recently and it made me like facebook all over again (I don't use it much anyway). Seriously, everyone should do this!!! I was going to suggest it here, but my vigilant friend has beat me to it. smile
      http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-merv/pirate.gif

5. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Eric, don't New Zealand make a claim on him too?

Nah, that was Errol the Sheep lol

@ Mightymom:
      I reckon that the pencil thin mustache on avatars would be great!

@MrVoodoo:
      I tried the pirate thing on Facvebook a while ago, but had to change back to normal English because I couldn't bloody understand anything that was written in the pirate lingo. Alas, I'm obviously not pirate material

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same here, it does get a little confusing, but it was funny for half an hour or so.

1. HealthCare Basics profile image61
          HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are too much............ Love the humor.... smile

6. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Yeah, I would swoon in his presence too wink Errol ..darlin, O do come hither tongue lol smile awesome info, Eric, thank you

7. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 14 years ago

Sings the first couple of lines of Errol, but without James Reyne's unique warble. smile

8. Eric Graudins profile image60

"But nobody has wielded a sword, swept away a damsel or filled a pair of tights like Errol Flynn since he first commanded the world’s attention. He was, and is likely to remain, Tasmania’s most famous son"

A couple of web site links:

Info about Errol's centenary celebrations
    http://www.flynncentenarycelebration.com.au/

Official website:
    www.InLikeFlynn.com

His daughter, Rory Flynn, has written a book called "Baron of Mulholland" which is available from bookshops and Amazon now.

9. raiderfan profile image59
    raiderfanposted 14 years ago

I'm not a pirate, I am a raider. the pirates are in pittsburgh and thats baseball not football. so I dont care about them.

So why the hell did you bother opening this thread ????
      Go and do some raiding - there's a good lad smile

2. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Isn't a raider a pirate?

1. Candie V profile image63
        Candie Vposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oy, Noooooooooo!

10. Jewels profile image82

Good to see Voodoo dressed for the occasion.  Notice the other pirates haven't shown yet. Are they worried they won't stack up? They do have big pants to fill afterall.

11. The Captain profile image61
    The Captainposted 14 years ago

Arrrgghhh.  I thank ye, Mr. Graudins, for bringin' this important event to my attention. Also for your acknowledgment that I am the one true Captain (see..it's actually me moniker).

Now Mr. Flynn and I go way back, and one night during our frequent nights of debauchery, he said to me, "Cap'n, I based my character on you."  Of course I was flattered, but I was more impressed with the bottle of rum he bought me to thank me for his inspiration. Twas an honor.

And you, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar and yer sorely missed by the crew aboard the ship. I'll be looking forward to yer log of the event.

@ Miss Jewels: It is the other's claiming to be pirates that must measure up to me.

12. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 14 years ago

His father, Professor T. Flynn, lived in Belfast, though -- in the street next to where I grew up. I think he was a prof. at the university.

13. Jewels profile image82

Oh good, The Captain has arrived.  Perhaps it may lure the one with the parrot.  Swooning here, waiting for the dual and all that muscle and sweat and manly behavior.

1. The Captain profile image61
      The Captainposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Once again, my muscled arms have ripped through the sleeves of my pirate shirt!

2. sixtyorso profile image70

Wow great new atavar!

It's a mood thing sixty. Thanks for noticing!

1. profile image0
          nazishnasimposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love your avatar! big_smile Between, we're burning ya up on the Gemini's hub at C.C's place! big_smile. No offense intended though!

Oh dear! I must go check and see what's been said since yesterday - you guys get so out of control!

1. blondepoet profile image66
              blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Didn't you use that avatar a little while ago Jewels I am sure you did.!!

Yes, I had to put the suit on again - seems fitting for this topic anyway!

14. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Cheers to Mr. Flynn
    http://www.abfabulous.com.au/pictures/1616/1/1950551-1.jpg

1. The Captain profile image61
      The Captainposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm. This calls for a real pirate.

Yes this calls for The Captain he is a real pirate, and a lovely one too

2. sixtyorso profile image70

Perhaps in memory of Errol Flynn and the fact that hubpages is starting to fell like it used to before the big "challenge" lets all get back to the Captain's hub and have some fun?

Yes I agree Sixty I went back earlier on, esp after reading this, I heard him calling my name in the wind, "BP, BP."

I think he was just out of petrol lol

Hahahaha.

2. blondepoet profile image66

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha omg EricG you go to the top of the class with that one, ohhhhh where is the ladies room hahaha

2. lxxy profile image60
      lxxyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're such a lead on, blondie. wink xx

What is a lead on Ixxy? Is that like a bus being towed by a metal rope on a sem-trailer LMAO

15. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Fun, where, fell asleep, so tired, big night last night, another big one tonight, when will it end...

Hey Cin

16. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

yawn yawn, whats the rugby score, are the all blacks getting thrashed by the french again

17. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

Errol certainly buckled a mean swash. You look a tad piratical, yourself, Eric. are all Tasmen so nautical-looking? So glad you are not of the Warner Brothers persuasion of Tasmanian.

Only a tad? I'll have to try harder smile
      May be time to put up a new photo. Perhaps that will get rid of the Shaun Connery persona with which I've been annointed at HP. (By persons who shall remain nameless.)

Warner Bros? - I take it you mean TazDevil?
      Yeah, I'm like him sometimes lol

@BP
      How about we all chip in and get you a pack of super absorbent incontinence pants. Seems like you're always flooding the place. lol lol

Oh Lord Eric can you pick me up some?,oh you always manage to totally crack me up with the things you come out with, that BP thing was the most funniest thing I heard. I guess I left myself wide open for it ROFL

18. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 14 years ago

Errol Flynn was my first celebrity crush. I was so disappointed when my dad finally told me he'd died before I was born smile

He was so incredibly handsome and really independent-minded. So many of his movies are among my favorites, but particularly Captain Blood. I really love that movie.

19. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Also, hurrah to Errol Flynn - the only Robin Hood for me. big_smile

20. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

Way cool, thanks for sharing Eric.

21. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Anyone interested in Bounty films will also remember Errol Flynn was the first actor to portray Fletcher Christian in the documentary styled film In The Wake of the Bounty (1933).

22. Eric Graudins profile image60

Here's the true story from the official website, www.inlikeflynn.com/flynn.html

We get a lot of questions regarding the origination of the phrase
    "In Like Flynn"
    The phrase "In like Flynn" originated as a coarse reference to Errol Flynn's powers as a seducer.
    In November, 1942, Flynn was charged with statutory rape, arrested and brought to trial, then acquitted.
    He was charged with having sexual intercourse with two girls under the age of 18. (He was 33 at the time).
    It was Flynn's belief that the Los Angeles district attorney had made him a scapegoat for Hollywood in order to discipline the film community.
    Jerry Giesler (Flynn's ace lawyer) considered Flynn an excellent witness and thought that his "gentlemanly demeanor throughout the trial had been an important factor".
    A new phrase was added to the English language: "In like Flynn".

23. Candie V profile image63
    Candie Vposted 14 years ago

Happy Birthday Errol!! Mwah!! I loved the way you swashed your buckle!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)